It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth centu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Other, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Re: Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth centu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 00:54
itzmyzone911 wrote:
Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth century did not
contain titanium. However, a new type of analysis detected titanium in the ink of
the famous Bible printed by Johannes Gutenberg and in that of another fifteenthcentury
Bible known as B-36, though not in the ink of any of numerous other
fifteenth-century books analyzed. This finding is of great significance, since it not
only strongly supports the hypothesis that B-36 was printed by Gutenberg but
also shows that the presence of titanium in the ink of the purportedly fifteenth
century Vinland Map can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the
map’s authenticity.
The reasoning in the passage is vulnerable to criticism on the ground that

(A) the results of the analysis are interpreted as indicating that the use of titanium
as an ingredient in fifteenth-century ink both was, and was not, extremely
restricted

(B) if the technology that makes it possible to detect titanium in printing ink has
only recently become available, it is unlikely that printers or artists in the
fifteenth century would know whether their ink contained titanium or not

(C) it is unreasonable to suppose that determination of the date and location of a
document’s printing or drawing can be made solely on the basis of the
presence or absence of a single element in the ink used in the document

(D) both the B-36 Bible and the Vinland Map are objects that can be appreciated
on their own merits whether or not the precise date of their creation or the
identity of the person who made them is known

(E) the discovery of titanium in the ink of the Vinland Map must have occurred
before titanium was discovered in the ink of the Gutenberg Bible and the
B-36 Bible

I would go with A. Here's my reasoning:

(B) if the technology that makes it possible to detect titanium in printing ink has only recently become available, it is unlikely that printers or artists in the fifteenth century would know whether their ink contained titanium or not ---->The argument never talks about whether the artists were aware of titanium being an ingredient of the ink or not. It focuses on the fact whether titanium was common in the paints of that era or not. Out of Scope

(D) both the B-36 Bible and the Vinland Map are objects that can be appreciated on their own merits whether or not the precise date of their creation or the identity of the person who made them is known ---->Again, we don't care about whether the objects can be appreciated or not. Out of Scope

(E) the discovery of titanium in the ink of the Vinland Map must have occurred before titanium was discovered in the ink of the Gutenberg Bible and the B-36 Bible ---->Yes, it does seem from the argument that titanium was discovered in the ink of the Vinland map before it was found in the two Bibles. But this is not what we are debating. Out of Scope

I was confused between A and C and I went with A. I discarded C as follows.

(C) it is unreasonable to suppose that determination of the date and location of a document’s printing or drawing can be made solely on the basis of the presence or absence of a single element in the ink used in the document ---->The author never says that the Vinland map is from the 15th century just because titanium was discovered in the ink. Rather, it can be inferred from the argument that the discovery of titanium in the ink of the map had cast a doubt on it's authenticity when all the other clues might have been pointing to the fact that it was made in the 15th century. So, C is wrong

Which leaves only A which must be correct.

Please let me know the OA.

Psst...If that helped press the thumb on the left

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Abhishek: Abhi
Re: Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth centu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 03:02
IMO C...
As in the passage, there was a doubt on authenticity of map and they were using the ink as a factor to determine that....

(C) says that it is unreasonable to suppose that determination of the date and location of a document’s printing or drawing can be made solely on the basis of the presence or absence of a single element in the ink used in the document.....

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 02:11
My vote for A.
Its between A and C. Eshan has already given crisp explain for the options. So will just share my reasoning for A and C.

Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth century did not contain titanium. However, a new type of analysis detected titanium
1: in the ink of the famous Bible printed by Johannes Gutenberg and
2: in that of another fifteenth century Bible known as B-36, though not in the ink of any of numerous other fifteenth-century books analyzed.
This finding is of great significance, since it not only strongly supports the hypothesis that
1: B-36 was printed by Gutenberg but also shows that [2 items r linked to JG based upon usage of T based ink.This assumes that usage of ink was restricted]
2: the presence of titanium in the ink of the purportedly fifteenth century Vinland Map can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the map’s authenticity.[Note this doesn't link to JG but assumes that usage of ink was not restricted.]

(A) the results of the analysis are interpreted as indicating that the use of titanium as an ingredient in fifteenth-century ink both was, and was not, extremely restricted
>>Correct as explained above.
(C) it is unreasonable to suppose that determination of the date and location of a document’s printing or drawing can be made solely on the basis of the presence or absence of a single element in the ink used in the document
>> C is too general must not always be true to raise doubt on the arg.Second, as per the argument only doubt regarding the date has been fixed. The date hasn't been determined in the arg.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 606

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 08:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 23:23
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 08:45
(A) the results of the analysis are interpreted as indicating that the use of titanium as an ingredient in fifteenth-century ink both was, and was not, extremely restricted
(B) if the technology that makes it possible to detect titanium in printing ink has only recently become available, it is unlikely that printers or artists in the fifteenth century would know whether their ink contained titanium or not --> irrelevant as did not mention in passage.
(C) it is unreasonable to suppose that determination of the date and location of a document’s printing or drawing can be made solely on the basis of the presence or absence of a single element in the ink used in the document
(D) both the B-36 Bible and the Vinland Map are objects that can be appreciated on their own merits whether or not the precise date of their creation or the identity of the person who made them is known --> irrelevant. the passage did not say any thing about the books/map merit. just conclude that both books were printed by same guy and the map must be authentic.
(E) the discovery of titanium in the ink of the Vinland Map must have occurred before titanium was discovered in the ink of the Gutenberg Bible and the B-36 Bible --> irrelevant, did not compare the printed date.
Down to C and A.

In C: mentioned both date and location can be determined by element of ink, this case Titanium. But the passage, there was no mention of map's printed location.
--> Choose A. in the first sentence of passage, "it is thought that ink used before the sixteenth century did not contain titanium" --> there is no firm confirmation that ink before 16th century did not contain titanium, we cant rule out the possibility that titanium can be used, might be in some restricted way, in ink in 15th century --> A supports this.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 67

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 10:40
I narrowed down it to option A and C. And then picked C. Please explain!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 67

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1049

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 16:16
first, this is a weaken question. It is hard to realize the question type.
Next, I chose C but I belive A is much better. "not in others" in the passage and "strictly use" in option A tell that A is indeed an assumption.

B,D and E are out of scope.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1049

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

Schools: CBS '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 20:11
Question core:

Premise: Recently found that certain X & Y 15th century books contain Ti in ink, but no other books
Conclusion: So, V map is authentic because other 15th century books also have Ti in ink AND only JG could have printed it

This conclusion is based on 2 opposing views -
V map is authentic since Ti in ink wasn't unpopular - anyone could have printed it
only JG could have printed it meaning it was unpopular - only JG could have printed it

That's why (A)

It took 4.5 mins, to decipher this question since the answer choices aren't straight-forward.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 38

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 02:03
I got the right answer by POE. See, how?

(A) the results of the analysis are interpreted as indicating that the use of titanium as an ingredient in fifteenth-century ink both was, and was not, extremely restricted--> Don't understand exactly. So, hold it.

(B) if the technology that makes it possible to detect titanium in printing ink has only recently become available, it is unlikely that printers or artists in the fifteenth century would know whether their ink contained titanium or not--> knowledge of the printers or artists is not discussed here. So, it is out of scope.

(C) it is unreasonable to suppose that determination of the date and location of a document’s printing or drawing can be made solely on the basis of the presence or absence of a single element in the ink used in the document--> Determination of the date and location of a document’s printing or drawing is not main concern here. So, out.

(D) both the B-36 Bible and the Vinland Map are objects that can be appreciated on their own merits whether or not the precise date of their creation or the identity of the person who made them is known--> The argument does not talk about appreciation of the documents. So. out.

(E) the discovery of titanium in the ink of the Vinland Map must have occurred before titanium was discovered in the ink of the Gutenberg Bible and the B-36 Bible--> Relative time frame is not the focus of the argument. So, out.

Therefore, answer would be A.

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 191

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
B

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 10:47
Thanks for your explanations!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.

www.gmatninja.com

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 116

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 11:17
I fail to understand why the answer is choice (A) and why not (D). Please help.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 116

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1872 [0], given: 449

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 15:18
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
sameerkamath21 wrote:
I fail to understand why the answer is choice (A) and why not (D). Please help.

The argument has nothing to do with the appreciation of the B-36 and Vinland Map, so choice (D) is not relevant.

Instead, the argument is based the following analysis: "a new type of analysis detected titanium in the ink of the famous Bible printed by Johannes Gutenberg and in that of another fifteenth-century Bible known as B-36, though not in the ink of any of numerous other fifteenth-century books analyzed."

Prior to that analysis, "it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth century did not contain titanium." As a result, PRIOR to the analysis, "the presence of titanium in the ink of the purportedly fifteenth century Vinland Map" was regarded as a reason for doubting the map's authenticity.

The author interprets the analysis by saying that, since titanium was found in two pre-sixteenth-century bibles, it must be possible for titanium to be present in the ink of various other pre-sixteenth century documents (such as the Vinland Map). Thus, even though it contains titanium ink, it is possible that the Vinland Map was created before the sixteenth century. This reasoning is based on the notion that, even though only found in two documents, usage of titanium in ink was possible in VARIOUS pre-sixteenth-century documents (i.e. the usage was NOT restricted).

But the author also concludes that the analysis "strongly supports the hypothesis that B-36 was printed by Gutenberg." The author concludes that, since use of titanium was so restricted before the 16th century, it is likely that any pre-sixteenth century document containing titanium ink was printed by Gutenberg. This reasoning is based on the notion that the usage of titanium in ink WAS restricted; otherwise, the presence of titanium in ink could not be used as evidence to support that Gutenberg was the printer.

Thus, the author uses two contradictory lines of reasoning, as described in choice (A).

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1872 [0], given: 449

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 21:51
Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth century did not contain titanium. However, a new type of analysis detected titanium in the ink of the famous Bible printed by Johannes Gutenberg and in that of another fifteenth-century Bible known as B-36, though not in the ink of any of numerous other fifteenth-century books analyzed. This finding is of great significance, since it not only strongly supports the hypothesis that B-36 was printed by Gutenberg but also shows that the presence of titanium in the ink of the purportedly fifteenth century Vinland Map can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the map’s authenticity.

(B) if the technology that makes it possible to detect titanium in printing ink has only recently become available, it is unlikely that printers or artists in the fifteenth century would know whether their ink contained titanium or not :- Not relevant.

We are not concerned with the date or location.

(D) both the B-36 Bible and the Vinland Map are objects that can be appreciated on their own merits whether or not the precise date of their creation or the identity of the person who made them is known :- Not relevant.

(E) the discovery of titanium in the ink of the Vinland Map must have occurred before titanium was discovered in the ink of the Gutenberg Bible and the B-36 Bible :- Not relevant

Argument ques : weakener
This finding is of great significance, since it not only strongly supports the hypothesis that B-36 was printed by Gutenberg but also shows that the presence of titanium in the ink of the purportedly fifteenth century Vinland Map can no longer be regarded as a reason for doubting the map’s authenticity.

Conclusion :- B-36 was printed by G. + Map is authentic (why? because Ti was present in the ink - 1600th century and not in 15th century)

Bible printed by G and another bible B-36 (1500th century) both has titanium so B-36 must be printed by G.

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 342

Re: Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth centu   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2017, 21:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Until recently it was thought that ink used before the sixteenth centu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap