Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1574 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
Re: 690 [#permalink]
bkk145 wrote:
q50v32
In front of the center now using iPhone. More later.

Excellent score!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats man! 690 is a great score!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [0]
Send PM
bkk145 wrote:
q50v32

a bit late but good job! lol.. you're probably still recuperating. but really looking forward to your debrief.. thanks for all your help and good luck with your apps!!

p.s. we will truly miss you in the verbal (notably) math discussion forums! sniff.. sniff.. but don't be a stranger to gmatclub :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
bkk145 wrote:
q50v32

Congrats.

definitely very impressive score. you well deserve to be in 700+ club.
definitely there in next sit.

verbal is puller.

Goodluck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree..you are 700+ guy...

verbal pulled you down...what happened???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations! Good score :)
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ive noticed something rather strange with GMAT scores. A lot of people (who I think include myself) that usually do pretty well on the verbal during practice, bomb it during the real exam???

There is nothing shameful about a 690. But Bkk is not V32 material. Bkk deserves a much higher V than that.

I usually scored in the 37-39 for verbal, but come test day, I get slapped with a 31?

I don't remember the post but another person scored around 750+ on many of his or her CAT's. However when the real deal came, he/she was slapped with a 630... I can't recall the exact splits, but quant was high 48-50 or something and Verbal was low 29-30 something.

Im suggesting that the raw score splits are somewhat of a pattern of occurences. High quant low verbal on test day.

I have no idea why this is such a common occurance and I really can't say for sure that this is common, just speculating.

Any thoughts???
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Ive noticed something rather strange with GMAT scores. A lot of people (who I think include myself) that usually do pretty well on the verbal during practice, bomb it during the real exam???

There is nothing shameful about a 690. But Bkk is not V32 material. Bkk deserves a much higher V than that.

I usually scored in the 37-39 for verbal, but come test day, I get slapped with a 31?

I don't remember the post but another person scored around 750+ on many of his or her CAT's. However when the real deal came, he/she was slapped with a 630... I can't recall the exact splits, but quant was high 48-50 or something and Verbal was low 29-30 something.

Im suggesting that the raw score splits are somewhat of a pattern of occurences. High quant low verbal on test day.

I have no idea why this is such a common occurance and I really can't say for sure that this is common, just speculating.

Any thoughts???

Blackbelt, I agree with you on this. I have seen a lot of people that receive 4-5 points lower on the real exam. I am not sure why...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
bkk145 wrote:
Blackbelt, I agree with you on this. I have seen a lot of people that receive 4-5 points lower on the real exam. I am not sure why...

Did the verbal questions seem trickier than those in the OG11, GMATPrep, etc? Extremely tricky, slightly tricky, or mostly similar?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
gluon wrote:
bkk145 wrote:

Did the verbal questions seem trickier than those in the OG11, GMATPrep, etc? Extremely tricky, slightly tricky, or mostly similar?

I can't say for BKK, but i didn't feel any difference at all from GMATPrep. Exam was practically identical.

This is why im so perplexed about this.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have a theory about this: fatigue. I recall the first time I took the test. I didn't sleep great the night before, got maybe 5 hours or so. I thought a little extra caffeine and sugar would help get me through the exam, so I drank coke (pretty normal for me) and at chocolate before the exam and during breaks (kind of unusual). Put it all together, the lack of sleep, caffeine, sugar & stress and by the time I got to the verbal section I had a pounding headache. My focus felt just a little bit off, and with about 10-15 minutes left, I couldn't wait to just be done with it, and even though I had plenty of time left I rushed through the last 6-8 verbal questions. The result was a V score about 5-7 points below my average practice scores - actually well lower than any verbal score I had seen in practice.

The second time around, more or less exactly 1 month later, I was well rested, had a better plan about what to eat and drink, and had a sense of calmness during the entire exam. I actually breezed through the verbal section with 20 minutes to spare, my focus was top notch that day and the answers seemed to pop out at me. I think think the key difference between the first and second tries was fatigue at the end of the test as influenced by stress, rest, and chemicals (caffeine, sugar).

So, if your observation about lower verbal breakdowns is correct, it would make sense because verbal is the last part of the exam and most likely to be influenced by test-taker fatigue. It's definitely important to work on endurance when you practice, get as much rest as possible (this may or may not be tough for some), and think about what you eat and drink on test day.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will second pelihu .

I suspect many people fall in the trap of 'skipping' the AWA during their practice routines. The extra one hour of AWA upfront really takes its toll on the back-end of the 'full' test.

Couple that with a poor night's sleep or abnormal levels of sugar and you get a surefire recipe for verbal disaster.

ps. Well done bkk on your score. Terrific improvement.

pelihu wrote:
I have a theory about this: fatigue. I recall the first time I took the test. I didn't sleep great the night before, got maybe 5 hours or so. I thought a little extra caffeine and sugar would help get me through the exam, so I drank coke (pretty normal for me) and at chocolate before the exam and during breaks (kind of unusual). Put it all together, the lack of sleep, caffeine, sugar & stress and by the time I got to the verbal section I had a pounding headache. My focus felt just a little bit off, and with about 10-15 minutes left, I couldn't wait to just be done with it, and even though I had plenty of time left I rushed through the last 6-8 verbal questions. The result was a V score about 5-7 points below my average practice scores - actually well lower than any verbal score I had seen in practice.

The second time around, more or less exactly 1 month later, I was well rested, had a better plan about what to eat and drink, and had a sense of calmness during the entire exam. I actually breezed through the verbal section with 20 minutes to spare, my focus was top notch that day and the answers seemed to pop out at me. I think think the key difference between the first and second tries was fatigue at the end of the test as influenced by stress, rest, and chemicals (caffeine, sugar).

So, if your observation about lower verbal breakdowns is correct, it would make sense because verbal is the last part of the exam and most likely to be influenced by test-taker fatigue. It's definitely important to work on endurance when you practice, get as much rest as possible (this may or may not be tough for some), and think about what you eat and drink on test day.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
we should not do any thing different on exam day (except scoring better :P )
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Friends,

I decided to give GMAT another try. Freshinha, you convinced me. I'll take it sometime in Jan. I'll send my 690 in first, then if I do better in Jan, I'll send the new score in. If not, I won't send it.

Long months ahead...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got a 690 on my GMAT yesterday as well ( Q44, V41). I experienced the exact opposite of the trend being discussed in this thread. On all my GMAT Prep exams i scored 47 or higher on Q and no more than 37 on the verbal. So on the actual exam the verbal ended up being higher and the Q lower.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
cleanbold058 wrote:
I got a 690 on my GMAT yesterday as well ( Q44, V41). I experienced the exact opposite of the trend being discussed in this thread. On all my GMAT Prep exams i scored 47 or higher on Q and no more than 37 on the verbal. So on the actual exam the verbal ended up being higher and the Q lower.

Cleanbold,

Congrats on your score. I think higher V makes score go higher compare with the same increase in Q.
Q: Do you have problem with timing? Do you always finish the test?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In Quantitative i tend to spend too much time on the first few questions and have to speed up and there are times when i don't feel in total control of the test. I would say i end up with like 15 min left for the last 10 questions.
Verbal i have no such problems. I tend to finish with 5 mins left most of the time.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts