Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5204 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Urgent clarification required, GMAT in 26 hours. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hunterxhunter wrote:
Guys, please help!!

Read this in the Timing Strategy article.
"If an examinee found herself with only a minute remaining to answer the last four items of the verbal section, it would be to her benefit to spend time trying to answer at least one of the remaining questions with thought while feeling confident that leaving the remaining items blank would not affect the score much differently than random responding"
Is this true?

BB's post says to never leave questions which contradicts the above advice for VERBAL!!

I usually end up with 90 seconds for the last 2 questions (Verbal). Hence the above is extremely important for me to know.

Hey hunterxhunter ,

NEVER EVER DO SO. Leaving a question unanswered is FAR more dangerous than getting is wrong. I would say use your last 1-2 mins to answer all the pending questions and then spend some time in the very last question.

All the best. :)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
hunterxhunter wrote:
Guys, please help!!

"If an examinee found herself with only a minute remaining to answer the last four items of the verbal section, it would be to her benefit to spend time trying to answer at least one of the remaining questions with thought while feeling confident that leaving the remaining items blank would not affect the score much differently than random responding"
Is this true?

BB's post says to never leave questions which contradicts the above advice for VERBAL!!

I usually end up with 90 seconds for the last 2 questions (Verbal). Hence the above is extremely important for me to know.

Hi hunterxhunter!

Clearly there is some contradicting advice here, and the strategies for Verbal and Quant actually differ. For the Quant section, you should definitely try to answer all the questions if possible. However, in our experience, this isn't necessarily the case for Verbal. Here's what we have concluded:

It turns out, on the verbal section, it appears there is no substantial difference between guessing on the last few question or omitting them. Your score will be, on average, the same regardless of which way you choose. This is invaluable information, because it implies undoubtedly the best strategy to use in that situation... Thus, when running out of time on the Verbal section of the GMAT, your focus should be: remain calm, and simply do your best working thoroughly with each question one at a time, even if that means there are two or three questions you simply don’t see. That’s the universal strategy for the precious last minutes on the GMAT Verbal section.

You can read the entire article about this, and where that information comes from, here :-)

I hope that helps! :-)
-Carolyn
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1084 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
hunterxhunter wrote:
Guys, please help!!

Is this true?

Never leave any question blank. There is significant penalty if you leave any questions blank.
GMAT Club Bot