It is currently 29 Jun 2017, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Usage of no one and nobody

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Information Technology
Usage of no one and nobody [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2011, 10:12
Hello Guru's,
I almost always seem to trip on the usage of no one/nobody. Can someone here explain me their respective usage?

Thanks
-Vik
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Re: Usage of no one and nobody [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2011, 15:39
Hey Vikram,

No one, nobody, someone, somebody, everyone, everybody, anyone and anybody.
they are all singular. whenever you see them use a singular subject-verb agreement.

Refer to the Manhattan SC guide for a better explanation

Are you having problem with the usage of no one on a particular question? Please post the question.
_________________

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2010
Posts: 14
Schools: Chicago Booth
WE 1: Information Technology
Re: Usage of no one and nobody [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2011, 18:10
puneetj wrote:
Hey Vikram,

No one, nobody, someone, somebody, everyone, everybody, anyone and anybody.
they are all singular. whenever you see them use a singular subject-verb agreement.

Refer to the Manhattan SC guide for a better explanation

Are you having problem with the usage of no one on a particular question? Please post the question.



Thanks for your response Puneet. I do realize that they both refer to singular nouns. I was stumped by a question, that had both of them in its answer choice(s). Narrowed it down, was 50/50 split and I obviously chose the wrong one. So, wanted to figure out if there is a specific usage pattern. I'm still searching for the question. Will post it once I get it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Re: Usage of no one and nobody [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2011, 18:27
geevikram wrote:
puneetj wrote:
Hey Vikram,

No one, nobody, someone, somebody, everyone, everybody, anyone and anybody.
they are all singular. whenever you see them use a singular subject-verb agreement.

Refer to the Manhattan SC guide for a better explanation

Are you having problem with the usage of no one on a particular question? Please post the question.



Thanks for your response Puneet. I do realize that they both refer to singular nouns. I was stumped by a question, that had both of them in its answer choice(s). Narrowed it down, was 50/50 split and I obviously chose the wrong one. So, wanted to figure out if there is a specific usage pattern. I'm still searching for the question. Will post it once I get it.



Thanks Vikram. will wait for the question
_________________

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2011
Posts: 188
Re: Usage of no one and nobody [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2011, 20:58
by the way while reading look for the traps of separation... the separation could throw even the best of us off track if not watched out for....
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Re: Usage of no one and nobody [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2011, 21:20
ashkanator wrote:
by the way while reading look for the traps of separation... the separation could throw even the best of us off track if not watched out for....


ashkanator - What do u mean by "traps of separation".....i always like to see an example for better understanding.
_________________

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Re: Usage of no one and nobody   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2011, 21:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the spriya 1 13 Oct 2008, 11:01
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the rpmodi 4 30 Jun 2008, 17:35
1 Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the prasannar 3 24 Apr 2008, 14:18
Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the vscid 4 17 Mar 2008, 15:31
2 Nobody knows exactly how many languages there are in the JCLEONES 7 15 Feb 2008, 07:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Usage of no one and nobody

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.