GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

USC vs. Cornell...maybe UCLA? (LA Native w/Investment Management Path)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Where should I go?

• 38% [5]
  • 7% [1]
  • 53% [7]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
USC vs. Cornell...maybe UCLA? (LA Native w/Investment Management Path)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2019, 00:21
Hi all -

I am debating between Marshall and Johnson, and I am on the wait-list at UCLA

Quick background: University of California, Berkeley (Economics) --> Small investment bank in San Francisco --> Large asset manager in Los Angeles

I'll be staying in investment management post-MBA. And I want to end up on the west coast. But I won't be going back to the firm in LA as they only hire MBAs out of Stanford and HBS...good riddance

Looking for an unbiased take on all this.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Duke '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Re: USC vs. Cornell...maybe UCLA? (LA Native w/Investment Management Path)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 10:47
Hey, congrats!

Weird move by your firm but I'm sure there are greener pastures elsewhere. Between Marshall and Johnson, it's a bit of a tossup. Cornell is the stronger "overall" program and has a strong IB pipeline as you likely know, but investment management offerings are much slimmer. Given your desire to remain on the west coast, I think recruiting from Cornell for these positions would be pretty difficult (both the tiny network of Johnson alum in IM on the West Coast along with the feasibility of networking from Ithaca during recruiting).

If you get into UCLA then I think it's a no brainer. As it stands I'd say Marshall still makes a bit more sense unless you were open to East Coast. You'll have a deep network and I would imagine your background makes you a prime candidate. Not to mention USC appears to be on the "upswing" rankings-wise, could easily see them solidifying a top 20 spot.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: USC vs. Cornell...maybe UCLA? (LA Native w/Investment Management Path)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 14:54
Congrats on your admits! Have you considered Anderson FEMBA? Much easier to get into than FT Program.
If Anderson is your goal and you are not changing industries, and you could maintain your job, do you mind if I ask why you did not pursue a FEMBA?

P.S. As an Angelino, you probably want to stay in CA and I think you have a number of reasons to. Do you feel there are banks/firms you would want to pursue after getting your MBA? It would likely be good to network with some of the folks now while you have a job and maybe run into them at a social event or mixer or conference, and see what it would take to get an internship next year. It will be a much more relaxed conversation now than when you are hunting for an internship, mere 4-6 months later. Likely will get your job and internship off campus, or perhaps through the career center who may have a connection with a boutique investment firm alum/owner.
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 14:57
Dumb question - did you really apply in R3 to all these schools and got in?
It is awesome if you did :thumbup:
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2019, 16:35
UCLA, or apply again next year.

The problem with asset management is the field is very keen on the pedigree of an applicant. USC is on the upswing, but it's not a top program and you'll be competing against students at the top MBA programs for spots post-school.

Cornell may have a student run fund but but the school has enough trouble placing students in the north east in asset management, the west coast would be a near impossibility. You would be 100% on your own with the job search, going against top mba west cost MBA students w/ little alumni or school support.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 03:00
Just wanted to follow-up for anybody that comes to this post later. I ended up getting into UCLA and I'll be going there.

I applied to USC and Cornell R3, and UCLA R2.

After doing some more research, talking to some of the professors, and visiting each school, it's clear that Cornell and UCLA were the right picks for investment management (and even investment banking). I must say that just about every other path outside of investment management at USC was really impressive though. USC seems to be very focused on their bschool. If I were doing a VC/entrepreneurship type of path, USC would be the go-to in my opinion.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2019, 01:25
I applied to USC and Cornell R3, and UCLA R2.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: USC vs. Cornell...maybe UCLA? (LA Native w/Investment Management Path)   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2019, 01:25

USC vs. Cornell...maybe UCLA? (LA Native w/Investment Management Path)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch