Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
Re: Using a single generic recommendation letter [#permalink]
https://www.mbaapplicant.com/recommendation_guide.htm

They recommend using a single letter. OR, at least they claim that most adcom's will understand if the rec is not in the format they requested.

What do you think?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think getting specific recs for each school helps since its clear that person thinks highly enough of you to write you a recommendation and not just submit a generic form recommendation. There is also the arguement that it shows you probably are applying to a handful of schools and thus really like them.

That said, I am sure all schools accept plenty of people who had single letter recs.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
school's question often overlap so i would advise them to answer the most thorough rec first, that way they can copy & paste for the majority of the other recs and will only have to fill in the few questions that may be specific to a school or two. if they really dont have time, (6 recs is a lot for one person) i'd suggest having them fill out recs specifically for your top 3 and then using that to do a generic letter for the remaining schools
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross '13
 Q48  V42
Send PM
great guide - i adapted that for a guide i sent to my recommenders a few days ago.

I was hoping though that maybe the discussion could talk about the "single reference letter" approach some more since the guides and links don't really compare it with the standard approach of filling out each rec individually.

for example
- during ding analysis, has anyone ever been told that they should get their recommedors to fill out the form properly? (my guess is probably not, but you never know)
- anyone recall a statement by an adcom about the single rec or not following the rec guidlines?
- the debate between "does it show that you're probably applying to several schools (and that looks bad)" vs "your recommender is just really busy"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Columbia Business School '13
 Q28  V36 GMAT 2: 650  Q40  V39 GMAT 3: 720  Q44  V45
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Send PM
mba2013: I share the same dilemma with you in trying to do several applications in R1. I figure that by starting the process very early, I should be able to handle my business. However, I know it's tough to ask the same supervisor to do six unique recommendations for you, but I would strongly advise that you broach the subject with him/her. As an undergraduate admissions officer, I can tell you there are few things more off-putting than receiving a standardized recommendation letter that is clearly being used for several different applications (or even for different individuals - just changing "Billy" is really smart to "Joey" is really smart.)

In order to help alleviate the extra burden on your boss of writing multiple recommendations for you, print out all the recommendation sheets and study them. Think through everything you have ever done for your boss and make notes on those recommendation sheets. Then, present to your boss your finalized essays and an outline of possible topics for him to discuss on the recommendation sheet. Certainly DO NOT answer the questions for him, but give him a framework to use. Give him some topics to cover or stories to tell that you think are important to strengthening your candidacy, but then let him run with it. You want his own voice and prose to shine through. Make sure that he corroborates some of the things you mention in your essays while also providing some color on additional topics that you did not mention.

Finally, you probably won't be able to spring for the Rolex retirement gift, but get him a bottle of Scotch, some cigars, or something else to thank him - not just for doing your recommendations, but for everything he's taught you in the course of your employment.
GMAT Club Bot