Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Using optional essay to discuss a outside work interest [#permalink]
I've heard it is always better to end your application with a positive optional essay rather than negative. If you didn't have a chance to express something that makes you truly unique, I would write it in the optional essay.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I used the optional essays of UCLA and Berkeley to discuss my leadership and EC activities. I would recommend against using the optional essay for negative things, unless they really need to be explained (if so, keep it SHORT). But for a different dimension to your application that you could not fit into the other essays, I would suggest using the optional essays.

Every school is different, so make sure you're not just writing an optional essay for the sake of it. Stanford didn't allow optional essays. Kellogg did, but I was able to fit everything that I talked about in the Haas/UCLA optional essays into the regular essays. Haas and UCLA didn't give me a chance to talk about my ECs (which were pretty extensive), so I added a 500 word essay there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
I think Paul Bodine's book talks about the optional essay almost as if it is compulsory, particularly for top schools. I wouldn't use to to talk about something inconsequential, but I would use to it talk about something that makes me unique, something that I can demonstrate great passion for, or something that I think would be of great interest to the adcoms. I probably wouldn't want to talk about study abroad in France or something like that, but if you lived in sub-Saharan Africa for a year in the bush, and didn't fit it in elsewhere, the optional essay would be a good place to talk about that. HTH
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
sterny wrote:
Is it frowned to write an optional showing leadership and creativity in an non-professional/community activity? I will try to fit this in with the mandatory essays but if can't, I am looking to use the optional essays to show this aspect of my personality.. what say? should the optional essay be used JUST for addressing a deficiency?

Thinkin about that Columbia app huh?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
LOL - you got me! :)

I don't see how else to put my non-professional interest in without seriously jeopardizing the spirit of the failure and theory essay.

One of the reasons I am so hell-bent on writing about my non-professional interest is simply because I think it differentiates me significantly and I bring something to the community..that I want the school to be aware of.

I will wait for the formal announcement of Columbia essays but if it is just the 3 essays, I will most certainly write the optional essay..I guess I am willing to take a small risk by using the optional essay for a "different" purpose, but more importantly I want to make sure that the adcom is fully aware of what I bring.

EDITED - I now actually WANT it to be just the 3 essays! One of the benefits might be that the passion essay was just 250 words, which was not enough for me - atleast the optional essay gives me 500 words :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Can I ask a sort of off topic question? I was about tell sterny and the rest of you how I was able to weave my passion + interests into my career goals/why mba essay flawlessly (in my opinion obviously). In fact, I honestly consider it so good and unique (I've been working hard, and again...it's just my opinion) that I didn't post it because I was afraid somebody would steal my ideas and rework them, or even take them word for word. I would have had to basically write out the essence of my essay in order to do that, and I was uncomfortable. Am I reaching a dangerous level of bschool applicant paranoia/neuroticism? Tell me if I am so I can catch it early.
GMAT Club Bot