GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceram

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceram  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 10:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:15) correct 20% (01:17) wrong based on 231 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods.

A. Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

B. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting as well as firing methods

C. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

D. Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

E. Using technical knowledge, experience and an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceram  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 12:21
IMO the answer is C. Ceramic artists has to follow first verbing modifier. Next use of and in both lists is desirable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceram  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 00:47
A. Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods - nothing wrong. But it is in passive voice so if we have grammatically correct active voice option, we choose that. Keep.

B. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting ((as well as)) firing methods - incorrect.

C. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods - active voice. No Grammar error. Keep.

D. Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods - it has a subtle change in meaning. Moreover, a simple construction in C is better than that in D.

E. Using technical knowledge, experience and an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists - meaning change.

Hence, we are left with A and C. C is active voice. So, we keep C and let go off A.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 01:52
IMO C
Agree with above explanation of SonalSinha803 except for A- where can be eliminated because using is modifying ceramic artists
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 01:54
IMO C
Agree with above explanation of SonalSinha803 except for A, which can be eliminated because 'using' is modifying 'clay' but not 'ceramic artists' as in other options B & D
VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 08:43
SonalSinha803 wrote:
A. Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods - nothing wrong. But it is in passive voice so if we have grammatically correct active voice option, we choose that. Keep.

B. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting ((as well as)) firing methods - incorrect.

C. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods - active voice. No Grammar error. Keep.

D. Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods - it has a subtle change in meaning. Moreover, a simple construction in C is better than that in D.

E. Using technical knowledge, experience and an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists - meaning change.

Hence, we are left with A and C. C is active voice. So, we keep C and let go off A.

I did not find any grammar mistake in B Can you please explain why B is incorrect .
I think as well as is an add on phrase is correct here .
Meaning wise i think C makes more sense as the two options are used just equally .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 09:16
Bunuel wrote:
Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods.

A. Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

B. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting as well as firing methods

C. Using technical knowledge and experience, ceramic artists manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

D. Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay with an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods

E. Using technical knowledge, experience and an endless amount of creative sculpting and firing methods, clay is manipulated by ceramic artists

A- wrong modifier for clay ... It can not use technical knowledge .. CHUCK
B- wrong usage of as well as .. It changes the meaning of the sentence. As per the meaning artists manipulate clay and firing methods. But intended meaning of the sentence is - artists manipulate clay .. with help of creative sculpting and firing methods. CHUCK
C- Hold may be Correct. The two lists (creative sculpting and firing methods) properly modify clay in form of a prepositional phrase.
D- the verb should be preferred close to ceramic artists .. Why is it so far away? CHUCK
E- This is horrible. Very difficult and painful to even read through .. the knowledge , experience and ..... modifies clay . It should modify the artist. It is also in passive form. CHUCK.

IMO C .. (over D, B is clearly wrong and distorts the meaning )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2018, 00:33
SonalSinha803 wrote:

Could you please elaborate the subtle change in the meaning?
the later part of your explanation for option D is right but plz explain the former one

In both the options (c D) the modifiers are modifying artists. the modifier answers the "how aspect".

even in my opinion option C is right but I would like to know the " subtle change in meaning " in option D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceram  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 05:50
Hi AdityaHongunti

The phrase “as well as” and the single word and are not equivalents because and joins two elements of equal importance, but “as well as” places more emphasis on one of the elements. Compare:

My dog and cat bring me things to throw.
My cat and dog bring me things to throw.
My cat, as well as my dog, brings me things to throw.

In the first two sentences, no distinction is made between cat and dog. In the third sentence, an unequal emphasis is placed upon cat, suggesting that there is something notable about the action as it applies to the cat.

This use of “as well as” is similar to the correlative “not only…but also”
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 06:52
abhimahna , daagh

I know why C is correct but I don't have sufficient grounds to eliminate D. Pls help
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 11:14
Top Contributor
The construction is problematic and dubious in D. Look at the following perceptions.

1. Comma + verbing, located after a clause, will modify the previous clause either as a result of the action thereof or as an addition informer. However, the problem is when you don't have a previous clause, as in D. You only have a noun phrase in front.

2. Why can't the modifier modify the noun phrase in front?

Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay, It can, but we don't need the comma now before the verb+ing word as even without the comma, it can modify the noun in front. Perhaps the very reason that the comma has been provided is to prevent it from modifying the preceding noun.

3. Can the verb+ing act as an adjective and modify some noun that comes later after the second comma?
However, we don't have such a noun in the later part; we only have a verb 'manipulate.'

We can make bold to say that the modifier in D is dangling without an appropriate modifiable entity.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 21:47
daagh wrote:
The construction is problematic and dubious in D. Look at the following perceptions.

1. Comma + verbing, located after a clause, will modify the previous clause either as a result of the action thereof or as an addition informer. However, the problem is when you don't have a previous clause, as in D. You only have a noun phrase in front.

2. Why can't the modifier modify the noun phrase in front?

Ceramic artists, using technical knowledge as well as experience, manipulate clay, It can, but we don't need the comma now before the verb+ing word as even without the comma, it can modify the noun in front. Perhaps the very reason that the comma has been provided is to prevent it from modifying the preceding noun.

3. Can the verb+ing act as an adjective and modify some noun that comes later after the second comma?
However, we don't have such a noun in the later part; we only have a verb 'manipulate.'

We can make bold to say that the modifier in D is dangling without an appropriate modifiable entity.

Hi daagh,
My logic for eliminating D was, because of "Using......." modifier, placed between two commas, suggesting additional information not, essential information. Whereas, this was essential information.
Is it right?
Please help!!
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 07:31
Top Contributor
Anuj

Quote:

Is it that essential? Whether they manipulate clay using their knowledge or/and experience or even perhaps by magic does not matter as long as they achieve the results. IMO, the parenthesis is not so essential.

However, did you notice, in this question, the author describes even a plural word such as 'firing methods' with an endless 'amount' in all the choices? It is fatally wrong to mark a plural and distinctly countable noun with 'amount.' Isn't it?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 20:42
daagh wrote:
Anuj

Quote:

Is it that essential? Whether they manipulate clay using their knowledge or/and experience or even perhaps by magic does not matter as long as they achieve the results. IMO, the parenthesis is not so essential.

However, did you notice, in this question, the author describes even a plural word such as 'firing methods' with an endless 'amount' in all the choices? It is fatally wrong to mark a plural and distinctly countable noun with 'amount.' Isn't it?

Thanks daagh Sir!
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2018, 12:26
Top Contributor

When the modification is not apparent, we have to go by logic since nobody other than the artists could have used technical knowledge as well as experience. I would instead say that a noun phrase interrupted by a separated from its verb is somewhat stylistically inferior to the choice that uses the modifier as an adjectival modifier and modifies the noun immediately after as seen in C.

Similarly, in the given case, two modifiers that come after it as in A. modify the noun phrase in the front.
You might see all other choices from B to E falter on parallelism.

Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceram &nbs [#permalink] 01 Aug 2018, 12:26

Using technical knowledge and experience, clay is manipulated by ceram

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap