Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4040 [37]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [6]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20709 [3]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [2]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Using the average wage of $200 a day to value workers time, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vishnuns39620 wrote:
I chose option E.

We could eliminate C & D because of its use of "Assuming the ____ as __ " which is incorrect.

Between A, B & E - Only E correctly uses the form "the analyst estimated that the" instead of "the analyst estimated ...."

Does this help explain it?

Hi vishnuns,

can you please elaborate more why you think that "Assuming the ____ as __ " and "the analyst estimated ...." are wrong?

About the second construct in particular, I think that is perfectly legit:
the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth
Why do you think that this kind of strucuture is wrong?

Whenever you see verbs like: "say/tell/suggest/announce/estimate/..." most of the times "that" is required, but do not take this as a Rule of Thumb.
Example:
The computer company has announced that it will purchase (...). In this sentence that is required and refers to the entire clause.

But when you have other types of counstruct as "analysts estimated the worth", "that" is not required.
"The worth" is the actual thing that he estimated, so the phrase without "that" is correct.

I hope that what I mean is clear
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

I have one question for choices A,B and E. To me, "using the average wage..", the analyst estimated => sounded like, analyst spent that money to estimate. May be i am wrong. i felt, instead of "using", some other modifier, like "considering", "observing", "evaluating"..etc, would have been apt.

Please help.

Thanks

The correct option (E) says: "Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time"
i.e. Using A as B
So the meaning is clear - A is used as B. Hence, we cannot say that it seems that the analyst estimated using this money.

Does this help?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
emmak wrote:
Using the average wage of $200 a day to value workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be approximately $300 annually to the average worker.
A)Using the average wage of $200 a day to value workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be $300 annually to the average worker.
B)Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and the assumption that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be $300 annually to the average worker.
C)Assuming the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker.
D)Assuming the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and the fact that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker.
E)Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker.

Wow! This one was tough took me almost 2 min! Chose (E). In future posts it would definetely be advisable to leave some space between answer choices, otherwise I get the impression it is harder than it really is.

Now back to the question, parallelism in E is correct - Using // assuming. Looking good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
I selected E over A because "might be approximately" is redundant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

You estimate THAT ==> A and B are out!

C and D are wordy ==> left with E!

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Sloan '17
Send PM
Bookmarks
emmak wrote:
Using the average wage of $200 a day to value workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be approximately $300 annually to the average worker.
A)Using the average wage of $200 a day to value workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be $300 annually to the average worker.
B)Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and the assumption that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be $300 annually to the average worker.
C)Assuming the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker.
D)Assuming the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and the fact that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker.
E)Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker.

I think A would have been correct, had it been the analyst estimated that the.
So, E is correct in this case.

What do you think, fellas?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Kudos
E) Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker.

There appears to be a comma error in this option which threw me off completely. The comma after workers' time is wrong since there are only two parallel elements in the list. Does this seem incorrect to anyone else?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gloomybison wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

why are C & D wrong?

Isn't the parallelism correct In D?
Assuming the average wage (noun) of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and (assuming -though we omit it) the fact (noun) that people who could ask more questions
and ı guess analyst can assume both to make the calculations?

Here is what the sentence is telling us:
(E) Using A as B and assuming C, the analyst estimated ...
This is correct.

Now look at (D)
(D) Assuming A as B and the fact C, the analyst estimated ...

If we say that these two are parallel:
- assuming A as B
- the fact C
then it is not correct. Both parallel elements should work with the rest of the sentence. But "the fact C, the analyst estimated ..." doesn't make sense.

If we say that these two are parallel:
Assuming
- A as B
- the fact C
then again it is not correct. We cannot assume a fact. A fact is a fact. We need to assume something we don't know. But a fact is something we know to be true.

(C) Assuming A as B and C, the analyst estimated ...
Average wage is $200/day. He used this as the value of worker's time. This wage wasn't assumed. It is the average wage. It was used as the value of worker's time.
Hence (E) is much better.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
B,C,D are out because of //ism

B:- using(simple gerund)not // to assumption(noun)
C:-that clause //ism issue
D:-that clause //ism issue

but dont know how to eliminate A...is it because of poosesive case(search engine’s )..
pls help..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Sloan (MIT)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
emmak wrote:
A)Using the average wage of $200 a day to value workers’ time, and assuming that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be $300 annually to the average worker. <<Estimated That ---That missing >>
B)Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and the assumption that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated the search engine’s worth might be $300 annually to the average worker.<<Estimated That ---That missing >>
C)Assuming the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker. <<Meaning change.It should be using the average wage>>
D)Assuming the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time and the fact that people who could ask more questions online would, the analyst estimated that the search engine might be worth $300 annually to the average worker. <<Meaning change.It should be using the average wage and the usage of fact.which is redundant >>
<<Correct..Correct usage of assuming that >>
Please correct me If I am wrong.The usage of fact is not correct?Can any one tell me is it always incorrect to use fact as a key word in SC.
@veritas :Can you please reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
B,C and D are incorrect because they lack parallelism.
Out of A and E, E uses "estimated that", whereas A doesn't.

So, the correct answer is E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.7
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
vishnuns39620 wrote:
I chose option E.

We could eliminate C & D because of its use of "Assuming the ____ as __ " which is incorrect.

Between A, B & E - Only E correctly uses the form "the analyst estimated that the" instead of "the analyst estimated ...."

Hi vishnuns,

can you please elaborate more why you think that "Assuming the ____ as __ " and "the analyst estimated ...." are wrong?

Whenever you see verbs like: "say/tell/suggest/announce/estimate/..." most of the times "that" is required, but do not take this as a Rule of Thumb.
Example:
The computer company has announced that it will purchase (...). In this sentence that is required and refers to the entire clause.

But when you have other types of counstruct as "analysts estimated the worth", "that" is not required.
"The worth" is the actual thing that he estimated, so the phrase without "that" is correct.

Hi Zarrolou,

If option A is not wrong for this reason, then what's wrong with this option? I think the difference between A and E has more to do with this sentence fragment: "$200 as a value of worker's time". Please help.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
if the second part of ellipsis contains helping verb, the first part must contain the same helping verb, possibly in different tense. if the case is not like this, we write down full verb phrase in the second part.

I think in E , "would " should be " would ask"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

I have one question for choices A,B and E. To me, "using the average wage..", the analyst estimated => sounded like, analyst spent that money to estimate. May be i am wrong. i felt, instead of "using", some other modifier, like "considering", "observing", "evaluating"..etc, would have been apt.

Please help.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
hellosanthosh2k2 wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma,

Please help.

Thanks

The correct option (E) says: "Using the average wage of $200 a day as a value of workers’ time"
i.e. Using A as B
So the meaning is clear - A is used as B. Hence, we cannot say that it seems that the analyst estimated using this money.

Does this help?

Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma for explanation, it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
vishnuns39620 wrote:
I chose option E.

Hi vishnuns,

Example:

For A and E, think on following lines..

My company gives me ₹300 per day to value my time.
My company gives me ₹300 per day as a value of my time.

Did you notice the difference between the two sentences. 1st one sounds like company is giving a reward or something(to value). 2nd one is as if it's company policy or something(as value).

Now go with the meaning of the sentence and see which one suits best A or E.

On the confusion on estimated something and estimated that something...

I estimated my banglow might be ₹3cr
I estimated that my banglow might be worth ₹3cr
Which one is correct? Second sentence. Isn't?
With this logic also I think we can conclude that we need "that".

Hope I am helping and not confusing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
daagh sir

I am still not very clear why options A,B and D are incorrect. Can you please help?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts