GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 31 Mar 2020, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UTD, Mccombs, or Cox Part time MBA or IU KD Online MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
UTD, Mccombs, or Cox Part time MBA or IU KD Online MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 16:38
I am looking to attend a part time MBA program. After much research I decided that an in person Part time program is better for me than an online program. I am trying to decide between the three schools listed above as they seem to be the main MBA programs in Dallas.

My factors for decision are: Learning Experience, Reputation, and Networking in that order.

I am not trying to get a job from my MBA I already make a fair amount of money. I am not looking to switch careers. I am looking to learn more about business and to essentially check that box on my resume as I move up through my organization which happens to be in software and technology contracting. A secondary benefit would be the networking to connect me with others. I sell technology solutions to Fortune 100 companies and am looking to move into major account sales with my company specifically in the DFW area. I will eventually move to MKE and will be working for corporate there.

Any advice you can give as to these three schools will be appreciated. Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

On a side note, I am still not 100% convinced that a part time in person MBA is the best choice I am 90% or so. Knowing my goals would any of you consider the Kelly Direct MBA with a dual masters in strategy over a part time? The Kelly direct is definitely cheaper then the other MBA programs, does not require me to drive weekly, and according to the rankings is a higher ranked school.

Thanks in advance!
-Phil
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: UTD, Mccombs, or Cox Part time MBA or IU KD Online MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 18:30
philz1982 wrote:
The Kelly direct is definitely cheaper then the other MBA programs, does not require me to drive weekly, and according to the rankings is a higher ranked school.

Most rankings have McCombs higher than Kelley, so I'd give McCombs the nod over Kelley and the other Texas programs. Yes, you're not looking for a job with the MBA, but if you're going to be putting in the same time, effort, and money to get a PT MBA, you may as well get the one that carries the most weight and hooks you up with the best network. You may not need that network now to land you a job, but 5 or 10 years down the road who knows where you'll be and having those connections certainly can't hurt.

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 05:40
McCombs and Kelley are both good choices. As a Kelley alum, I'm a bit biased, but Kelley is ranked higher by Bloomberg Businessweek and their faculty was ranked #1 by BBW (the same faculty teaches in Kelley Direct). The network is nearly 100,000 strong and has a strong culture of "taking the call" from fellow Kelleys.

The great thing about Kelley Direct is the amount of flexibility. Online programs are inherently flexible but Kelley goes the extra step with the number of courses offered, the ability to finish in as little as two or or many as five years, and all of the dual degrees.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
GPA: 3.64
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2013, 06:57
btown4201 wrote:
McCombs and Kelley are both good choices. As a Kelley alum, I'm a bit biased, but Kelley is ranked higher by Bloomberg Businessweek and their faculty was ranked #1 by BBW (the same faculty teaches in Kelley Direct). The network is nearly 100,000 strong and has a strong culture of "taking the call" from fellow Kelleys.

The great thing about Kelley Direct is the amount of flexibility. Online programs are inherently flexible but Kelley goes the extra step with the number of courses offered, the ability to finish in as little as two or or many as five years, and all of the dual degrees.

Good luck!

Btown,

Let me ask you. With my goals, does an online program still align? I love on-line learning. I am an avid reader, I am constantly self-teaching. My boss, whom I respect greatly, suggested that I wouldn't take as much value from an on-line program as a in person one.

If he had not said that I would have went hands down with Kelly because of the things you mentioned in your last paragraph ( I really like the dual major options!). But.... he has me concerned, I hear from so many people about the perils of online learning. See I got my BS online, and I learned a ton, I did not make any contacts or "networks" as some people call them but that wasn't my focus.

Part of me thinks that the people giving the in-person advice (most being 45+ years old) simply don't understand online learning. However, am I being naive? Am I practicing willful ignorance? I am unsure... Therein lies the rub, I haven't done and MBA program so I don't know. I think I would learn quite a bit, if I wanted to I am sure I could make connections.... I REALLY DON'T WANT to have to go to a physical class each week...

I am rambling, and the worst part is I know I am rambling. I have this collection of disjointed thoughts in my head that I am trying to reconcile and so far the most I can decide is that I am undecided...

I have resigned myself to focusing on blowing the GMAT out of the water and then making a decision but all that really does is puts off me having to make a decision for 5 months.

Help!

-Phil
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 04:14
philz1982 wrote:
btown4201 wrote:

Good luck!

Btown,

Let me ask you. With my goals, does an online program still align? I love on-line learning. I am an avid reader, I am constantly self-teaching. My boss, whom I respect greatly, suggested that I wouldn't take as much value from an on-line program as a in person one.

If he had not said that I would have went hands down with Kelly because of the things you mentioned in your last paragraph ( I really like the dual major options!). But.... he has me concerned, I hear from so many people about the perils of online learning. See I got my BS online, and I learned a ton, I did not make any contacts or "networks" as some people call them but that wasn't my focus.

Part of me thinks that the people giving the in-person advice (most being 45+ years old) simply don't understand online learning. However, am I being naive? Am I practicing willful ignorance? I am unsure... Therein lies the rub, I haven't done and MBA program so I don't know. I think I would learn quite a bit, if I wanted to I am sure I could make connections.... I REALLY DON'T WANT to have to go to a physical class each week...

I am rambling, and the worst part is I know I am rambling. I have this collection of disjointed thoughts in my head that I am trying to reconcile and so far the most I can decide is that I am undecided...

I have resigned myself to focusing on blowing the GMAT out of the water and then making a decision but all that really does is puts off me having to make a decision for 5 months.

Help!

-Phil

Hi Phil,

I hear you. There are still folks out there who think online learning is like the old correspondence courses, or that there is no interaction. Online education has come a long way in the last 15 years and it will only get better as technology continues to improve.

Yes, I do think an online program aligns with your goals. First, while there are more career-switchers than there used to be in online programs, the majority of students are still career-advancers like you. KD has seen great success in helping its students advance - 66% of the 2012 graduating class earned a promotion during their time in the program and, on average, they saw a 36% increase in their salary.

Second, there are networking advantages to a top-notch online program. You are going to meet people from all over the world - not just one geographic area - which is a benefit normally reserved for full-time programs. Facilitating networking opportunities is a big goal of the program. They start with Kelley Connect Weeks so you meet your classmates before you get into online courses. All classes have team projects and/or interactive curricular elements. Plus the school has a huge alumni network and hosts events across the globe all year.

I hope this helps. The Kelley Direct office would be happy to put you in touch in current students to get their perspective. Feel free to contact Lindsey Spoonmore (lspoonmo@indiana.edu), who heads up their MBA recruiting.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UTD, Mccombs, or Cox Part time MBA or IU KD Online MBA?   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 04:14

UTD, Mccombs, or Cox Part time MBA or IU KD Online MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste