It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 13:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member
Re: Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2016, 02:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 943 [0], given: 72

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 11:05
Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades economic stagnation and restrictive regulations inhibited investment in new oild fields. In consequence, Utrania oil exports dropped steadily as old fields became depleted. Utrania's currently improving economic condition, together with less restrictive regulations, will undoubtedly result in the rapid development of new fields. However, it would be premature to conclude that the rapid development of new fields will result in higher oil exports, because:

Boil it down - With improved economic condition and less restrictive regulations , the domestic production is likely to increase . But if domestic demand itself increases then in spite of all this we might not see higher exports .

B. the improvement in the economic situation in Utrania is expected to result in a dramatic increase in the proportion of Utranian's who own automobiles. - Answer

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 943 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 15:53
We have to make the assumption that automobiles use oil. What a stupid question. Granted, I made that assumption but I thought the whole point is that we don't. What if Utrania used electric cars?

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 45

GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 07:10
We need to find a good reason for export not going to grow.

A. No effect
B. More car owners, more gasoline will be required to fulfil new demand. So this option is a contender for a correct answer.
C. This one can logically be derived from premises in the passage, and would have been a potential correct answer for Inference type.
D. No tie to the conclusion.
E. No effect.

So answer B is the best option.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 82

WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 10:10
Ans:B
If there is any rise in demand for the oil in the country, then it is highly likely that oil exports will be disturbed.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 82

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Schools: ISB '20
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 18:30
It is a straight B.

If the regulations have been removed, there will be more investments in new oil fields and once they are developed, the exports should increase in a normal logical scenario. But if the oil was locally consumed, they would be no oil available for exports. Hence B.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 06:23
Situation: A country that had been a major oil exporter has seen its exports decline in recent decades due to economic stagnation, a failure to invest in new fields, and the steady depletion of its old fields. But looser regulations and an improving economy will bring rapid development of new oil fields in the country.

Reasoning: The passage describes the conditions that led to Utrania's no longer being a major oil exporter: a lack of investment in new oil fields due to a stagnant economy and restrictive regulations.

B is correct - An increase in car ownership would increase Utrania's oil consumption—and this supports the claim that oil exports might not increase

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 51

Re: Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2017, 06:23

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 48 posts ] 

Utrania was formerly a major petroleum exporter, but in recent decades

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap