Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618933 [30]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618933 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31918 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: V01-12 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NothingComes3asy wrote:
Hi all,

I am enjoying the GMAT club TESTS and I find the questions are very clever. For this question, I have not been able to find a sufficient answer. I have read all the links above and I am also tried googling the question. I am still not sure about the usage of "to do" vs. "for doing"

In my opinion, the best example was presented here: https://www.italki.com/question/47098 (also referenced above in the MGMAT link referenced above)

1) I have to thank him for doing me that favor (notice that here the favor has already been done)
2) I have to thank him to do me that favor (notice that here the favor has not been done yet)

Based on this understanding and using this example and using the example above, I would argue that it should be "to pay" not "for paying"

I have been grappling with this issue for the past 24 hours, and I still feel lost. I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Hi,

the answer to your query lies in the idiom 'reponsible to" or 'responsinle for'..

generally when used - you are resposible to SOMEONE and you are responsible for SOMETHING...
here we are talking of something so ans is for paying
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
rahulgandhi91 wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Can you please explain, as to why the answer for the aforementioned question is not 'b'.

The post by chetan2u just above yours explains your query.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
hi sayantan / chetan,

I read all the posts above, but I still have this query - responsible to (someone) and responsible for (something) are always correct?

I am not sure if this sentence is correct as it sounds awkward to me: The manager is responsible to seven entry level employees

Also, can you help with the list of such idioms?

regards,
shailabh
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shailabh wrote:
hi sayantan / chetan,

I read all the posts above, but I still have this query - responsible to (someone) and responsible for (something) are always correct?

I am not sure if this sentence is correct as it sounds awkward to me: The manager is responsible to seven entry level employees

Also, can you help with the list of such idioms?

regards,
shailabh

The difference is about the meaning, not whether the object of preposition is a person or thing. You may be responsible FOR something or someone, but you may be responsible TO someone only.

The sentence you mentioned is wrong. The correct sentence could be:
The manager is responsible for seven entry level employees.
OR
The manager is responsible for taking care of the seven entry level employees.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618933 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question has been revised and edited. Thank you sayantanc2k !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Answer choice d has the word "be" duplicated
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618933 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
felipetakaoka wrote:
Answer choice d has the word "be" duplicated

Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Send PM
Please explain why option 'B' is not correct and elaborate between option 'B' and 'E'. Bunuel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
7Amulya wrote:
Please explain why option 'B' is not correct and elaborate between option 'B' and 'E'. Bunuel

For me you do not require a subjunctive in this sentence. A subjunctive is used for something hypothetical. This is more like a universal truth. Hence option E is more appropriate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Controversial mortgage laws passed last year state that, at any point during the maturation period of the loan, if the person in whose name the loan is taken is not able to make the payments, that person’s spouse will be responsible to fulfill all contractual requirements that include paying the balance.

A. will be responsible to fulfill all contractual requirements that
B. would be responsible for fulfilling all contractual requirements that
C. is responsible to fulfill all contractual requirements, which
D. would be responsible for fulfilling all contractual requirements, and that would
E. will be responsible for fulfilling all contractual requirements, which

The question deals with 3 issues as below:

Issue 1: The sentence is testing the ability to correctly use the if…then… construction.

Right: If simple present, then simple present: general rule with no uncertainty (If temperature is too high, low pressure forms.)

Right: If simple present, then simple future: a particular event in future with no uncertainty (If you hit me, I will hit you back.)

Right: If hypothetical subjunctive, then conditional (would): Unlikely event in future (If I were the king, I would abolish taxes.)

Issue 2: The sentence also tests the ability to identify the correct idiomatic usage for “responsible….”.

Right: I am responsible for the pricing of the vaccines.

Wrong: I am responsible to the pricing of the vaccines.

Right: I am responsible to Dr. Fiedler, and she is responsible to the CEO.

Issue 3: The use of the essential modifier “that” without a comma before is incorrect.

The modifier “that include paying the balance” does not define or identify the modified noun “responsibilities” but provides some additional information about (example of) it. Therefore non-essential modifier must be used.

A. Wrong because of issue 2: “Responsible for” should be used instead of “responsible to”.

Wrong because of issue 3: essential modifier without comma is used.

B. Wrong because of issue 1: conditional “would” is used without a subjunctive. Moreover this event is not unlikely, rather it is certain.

Wrong because of issue 3 as explained in A above.

C. Wrong because of issue 2: “Responsible for” should be used instead of “responsible to”.

D. Wrong because of issue 1: conditional “would” is used without a subjunctive. Moreover this event is not unlikely, rather it is certain.

“That” here is used as a demonstrative adjective, but without a noun.

E. Correct. All the issues are addressed correctly. The sentence refers to a particular event in the future with no uncertainty.

Answer: E

Hey experts I am having trouble understanding the difference between essential modifier and non essential modifier. Issue 3: The use of the essential modifier “that” without a comma before is incorrect.. Can someone elaborate more on it? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1840
Send PM
Hi @MartyMurray/@chetan2u/@sayantanc2k/@EMPOWERgmatVerbal and other experts,

Kindly can you help me with 'that/which' split in this problem. As per my understanding if both are correctly placed as in option A and E, we should ignore that split or prefer 'that'. is my understanding correct ?
It is difficult to decipher when a particular clause is essential or non essential, Kindly help

Thanks !
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts