Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [17]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [2]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Operations
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:General Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: V02-13, V02-14, V02-15, V02-16 [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this question is good and helpful.
"these lines" are not clickables. It would be useful to have this feature. Thanks!
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
V02-13, V02-14, V02-15, V02-16 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
smartguy595 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
garima1 wrote:
I don't agree with the explanation. It is no where mentioned in the passage that curiosity about natural world led him to exploration of many fields. Kindly explain.

V02-14 Option C modified in the test database. Thank you.

Did not understand why option 'C' is incorrect in question-2.

Please explain

The author would agree with the statement given in option C. Please refer to the last line of the first paragraph "Yet despite the fact that philosophers since the early 19th century have made heavy use of this conclusion, Descartes in his own day was most influential as a scientist, not a philosopher." This line implies that " Descartes was not as famous for his quote as for his scientific works when he lived." (option C).

Therefore option C is an incorrect option (because the author would NOT consider it incorrect).
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
prateekgmat16 wrote:
In the question : Which of the following best describes the organisation of the passage?

How do we consider the details in paragraph 1 ( Descartes was known as a philosopher) as a misconception ?

How is option B wrong here.

Kindly explain.Thanks.

The perspectives are not opposing - the first perspective is that Descartes was a philosopher. The second perspective however does not state that he was NOT a philosopher.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
It is mentioned that Descartes was regarded as the founder of modern philosophy in the first line itself. Then why does the correct option refer to it as a misconception?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 730 Q41 V49
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Re V02-14 [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
prateekgmat16 wrote:
In the question : Which of the following best describes the organisation of the passage?

How do we consider the details in paragraph 1 ( Descartes was known as a philosopher) as a misconception ?

How is option B wrong here.

Kindly explain.Thanks.

The perspectives are not opposing - the first perspective is that Descartes was a philosopher. The second perspective however does not state that he was NOT a philosopher.

Misconception means 'a view or opinion that is incorrect because based on faulty thinking or understanding'. https://www.google.com/search?q=misconc ... e&ie=UTF-8
Is it incorrect that Descartes was a philosopher?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re V02-13 [#permalink]
Kudos
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Please refer the following below lines:

"Rene Descartes, a 16th century Frenchman often regarded as one of the founders of modern philosophy, penned one of its most famous slogans:"

"Yet despite the fact that philosophers since the early 19th century have made heavy use of this conclusion, Descartes in his own day was most influential as a scientist, not a philosopher."

In no way do the above 2 lines imply that Descartes viewed as a philosopher is a "misconception". It merely states that Descartes is now viewed as a Philosopher, though in his own time, he was more famously viewed as a scientist.

Thus, there is no common misconception (probably there is a common modern "ignorance" regarding the scientific achievements of Descartes, but there is definitely no "misconception" - A scientist can also be a philosopher, and Descartes is now viewed more commonly as a philosopher rather than a Scientist)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
Show SpoilerQuestion V02-13 explanation
This question concerns the way the author has organized information in the passage. The first paragraph introduces Descartes as a well-known historical figure and explains that, because of a famous statement, he is most often associated with the field of philosophy. The second paragraph, however, argues that the idea of Descartes as primarily a philosopher is a misconception; details in the paragraph are meant to refute this by arguing for an alternate understanding of his importance.
  1. Though certain time periods are mentioned, neither paragraph is primarily concerned with chronology.
  2. The two perspectives are not merely presented; the author intends to use the second perspective to argue against the first.
  3. The passage is concerned with Descartes in relation to each field of study, not the fields themselves.
  4. The second paragraph is meant to argue an opposing perspective, not to give context.
  5. A common misconception is introduced using details about its origin, and then is refuted using other details.
Show SpoilerQuestion V02-14 explanation
The word suggests in the question indicates that the answer depends on making an inference. Additionally, the word incorrect in the question means that all of the answer choices will be correct EXCEPT ONE. To answer this question correctly, locate the lines or sections in the passage where the ideas present in each answer choice are discussed, and identify the only one with which the author would not agree.
  1. The author does not believe that Descartes’ contributions to mathematics have been superseded, or outdated. See these lines.
  2. The author does agree that Descartes’ work has had great impact on philosophers since the early 19th century. See these lines.
  3. It can be inferred from the list of interests in paragraph 2 that Descartes was curious about the natural world, meaning that the author would agree with this statement.
  4. This line suggests that Descartes’ approach was rational, or based on reason, indicating that the author would agree with this statement.
  5. This line indicates that Descartes intended his philosophical work to serve as a framework for his scientific work, meaning that the author would agree with this statement.
Show SpoilerQuestion V02-15 explanation
This question requires an understanding of the passage as a whole, especially the author’s tone. The first paragraph introduces Descartes as an important historical figure most often associated with philosophy. The words yet and despite in the last sentence of the first paragraph indicate that the author disagrees with this association; the author also claims that Descartes is more properly understood as a scientist. The second paragraph provides details for this claim, and uses the language of argument to clarify the author’s position.
  1. Context is provided only in the first paragraph, not the entire passage.
  2. The words yet and despite in the last sentence of the first paragraph indicate that the author intends to draw a strong contrast, not merely to review.
  3. The author is more concerned with general interests than specific works.
  4. The contrast indicated by the words yet and despite prepares the reader for the author’s conclusion in the second half of the sentence that Descartes in his own day was most influential as a scientist, not a philosopher. This sentence begins an argumentative tone that continues in the second paragraph.
  5. Outside the scope of the passage. This relationship is never discussed directly.
Show SpoilerQuestion V02-16 explanation
This question requires that a logical conclusion be drawn from information stated in the passage. Since the author discusses the misconception that Descartes is a philosopher when he should be known as a scientist, review the passage to discern what reasons the author may give for this.
  1. The modern individual is not mentioned in the passage.
  2. The passage does not mention which of Descartes’ works have been preserved.
  3. In this line, the author implies that Descartes remains well-known as a philosopher today because of his popularity with philosophers in the early 19th century.
  4. The passage does not discuss Descartes’ thoughts on the relative importance of the two fields.
  5. The passage does not give information about the current state of optics as a scientific field.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I don't agree with the explanation. It is no where mentioned in the passage that curiosity about natural world led him to exploration of many fields. Kindly explain.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
garima1 wrote:

Manager
Manager
Status:Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 471
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
garima1 wrote:

Did not understand why option 'C' is incorrect in question-2.

Please explain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Other, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IIMA (D)
Send PM
Hi

I have a query in the question : Which of the following best describes the organisation of the passage?

Passage states that Descartes was a scientist and not a philosopher.

The explanation states that the second perspective(Descartes as Scientist) argues against the first perspective (Descartes as Philosopher).

The passage no where states that two perspective are opposing. I understand that second perspective is an alternate perspective rather than an opposing perspective.

Experts kindly clarify.

Thanks
Sahil
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:
Hi

I have a query in the question : Which of the following best describes the organisation of the passage?

Passage states that Descartes was a scientist and not a philosopher.

The explanation states that the second perspective(Descartes as Scientist) argues against the first perspective (Descartes as Philosopher).

The passage no where states that two perspective are opposing. I understand that second perspective is an alternate perspective rather than an opposing perspective.

Experts kindly clarify.

Thanks
Sahil

The passage does not state that "Descartes was a scientist and not a philosopher." In fact the passage is not about what he was, but about what he was known as. The first paragraph states he was known as a philosopher. The second paragraph then refutes the idea and states that he was known as a scientist. Hence the explanation and the answer is alright.

In case you are not satisfied with this explanation, please write back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re V02-14 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Whenever an answer choice is amended, please amend the answer explanations also. It is misleading here that answer explanation for C is not matching with C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re V02-15 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re V02-14 [#permalink]
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I would want to know why the option C can't hold good here. Because there is a clear difference between what the author considers 'influential' and what he considers as 'famous'. Is negating C as the correct answer exposing us to the fallacy of confusing the two?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40 (Online)
Send PM
Re V02-13 [#permalink]
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
GMAT Club Bot
Re V02-13 [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts