It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V02-35

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re V02-35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2016, 16:23
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. i think A must be the correct answer choice since it starts with a phrase a current climb

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3108 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V02-35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2016, 11:26
pathikrit wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. i think A must be the correct answer choice since it starts with a phrase a current climb

There has been a lot of discussion over this issue and I was not able to convince at least one user that D, not A, is the correct option. Please take a look at the chain of discussion just before your post.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2016, 19:12
To be honest, i believe that the first part of the sentence is nothing but a general truth. It is okay for the first part to be in simple tense, however, that does not mean that the second sentence should be made parallel to it. To your argument about usage of current, can you please help me understand what is wrong with the below -

"Demonetization always helps in weeding out black money from a country; In India, the current act of demonetization has forced people of the country queue up outside ATMs for long hours" - Demonetization has already happened but its effects can be felt still.

I think this is a force fit question and am not happy with the explanation provided

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

V02-35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 07:32
jitmo31 wrote:
To be honest, i believe that the first part of the sentence is nothing but a general truth. It is okay for the first part to be in simple tense, however, that does not mean that the second sentence should be made parallel to it. To your argument about usage of current, can you please help me understand what is wrong with the below -

"Demonetization always helps in weeding out black money from a country; In India, the current act of demonetization has forced people of the country queue up outside ATMs for long hours" - Demonetization has already happened but its effects can be felt still.

I think this is a force fit question and am not happy with the explanation provided

My reasoning remains the same. The act that has already forced people to queue up cannot be current. The act had occurred in the past as a result of which people queued up. The current act may be forcing people now or may force people in future. It is not logical to use the word "current" for an act whose effect occurred in the past since effect comes after the cause.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 29

WE: Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2017, 09:27
sayantanc2k

If i've understood correctly, i think there is a reason for option A vying for the right answer and here is my reasoning (please correct me if i'm wrong).

The First clause mentions a fact. "In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passes a greater financial burden to customers".

And ideally with an example following, shouldn't the example prove this fact or be representative/indicative of this fact?

As in, if a current climb in the cost of court reporting has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates, then it means the author is proving that the first clause is a fact.

Doesn't this warrant the use of a present perfect tense?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 29

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2017, 03:45
Vishvesh88 wrote:
sayantanc2k

If i've understood correctly, i think there is a reason for option A vying for the right answer and here is my reasoning (please correct me if i'm wrong).

The First clause mentions a fact. "In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passes a greater financial burden to customers".

And ideally with an example following, shouldn't the example prove this fact or be representative/indicative of this fact?

As in, if a current climb in the cost of court reporting has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates, then it means the author is proving that the first clause is a fact.

Doesn't this warrant the use of a present perfect tense?

The example to prove the fact may be from any time, past or present - it could even be a general rule. However, why option A is problematic has already been discussed on this thread: a "current" event causing something in the past is not logical.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 14:36
sayantanc2k

I have a couple of queries regarding the question itself.

"In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passes a greater financial burden to customers; in the legal profession, for example, a current climb in the cost of court reporting has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates."

Theory -> In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passes a greater financial burden to customers ---- this implies that an event happens (rising cost of support services) which results in increased financial burden passed to the customers.

Example -> in the legal profession, for example, a current climb in the cost of court reporting has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates." --- here the event is (current climb) which forces many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.
Shouldn't the example be as follows
in the legal profession, for example, a current climb in the cost of court reporting could/would force many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.

To me the following flow of reasoning makes more sense.
current climb could force attorneys, since this leaves room for some attorneys to not raise their rates.

If we choose option D "forces many attorneys to raise their hourly rates" - then it does seem to imply that is more like a universal rule, and must happen every time.

If we choose option A "has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates." does restrict the cause and effect to this particular climb in the cost of reporting.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2017, 23:24
In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passesa greater financial burden to customers; in the legal profession, for example, a current climb in the cost of court reporting has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates.

I think "has forced" is wrong is because it breaks parallelism with the first part of the sentence "...cost of support services actually passes a greater....".

Am I right?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
V02-35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 16:23
Though most people have commented on this, I also don't understand how "current climb" can use the verb "forces". Forces implies that the phenomenon happens all the time. It does not agree with the meaning of the sentence. This is a one time event. How can it always be true?

The statement below makes sense:

"In most industries the rising cost of support services actually passes a greater financial burden to customers"
This is something that can always be true as a stated fact.

But using "a current climb" in the second sentence forces the situation to be time limited. It is a one time event and so the verb should adhere to that.

If the sentence instead had said "climb" only then that would make sense as that can be true at all times.
"climb in the costs forces the attorney to raise their rates" would make more sense.

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests
V02-35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 13:15
I found an example in the MGMAT SC book that uses similar structure, as you can see it uses "has led" correctly.

Right: The recent decrease in crime in our neighborhood has led to a rise in property values.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
V02-35 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 08:30
I think this is a poor-quality question. If option D read "Is forcing..." it would be correct. While "Forces" technically matches the present tense, the reader understands "a current climb" to mean recent past and present, and not simply the present. Option A, "has forced many attorneys to raise their hourly rates" is correct. Similar construction: "The current climb in unemployment has forced the FEDs to lower interestest rates" is correct while "The current climb in unemployment forces the FEDs to lower interestest rates" is incorrect. They already raised the rates. Some lawyers already raised their hourly rates.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

V02-35   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2017, 08:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

V02-35

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap