Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [12]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [2]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: V04-39 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
TariqOmar wrote:
I do not agree that the first boldface is a premise and not the conclusion.

Let me share my thoughts on this.( i was able to eliminate C)

(a)
Because A recent study indicates that people who keep their workout records are far more successful at achieving their fitness goals than people who don’t keep track of their workout. Therefore, Experts believe that many fail to achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn.

But if you rotate this

(b)
Because Experts believe that many fail to achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn. Therefore A recent study indicates that people who keep their workout records are far more successful at achieving their fitness goals than people who don’t keep track of their workout.

the second part of (b) could have used to keep a point, not the other way around

Generally a fact follows the opinion, Done in (a).

Let me know if this helps in some way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 212
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
Here is why I think confusion arises, and why I think E is correct:

The first bold stmt of c) is true because it is a conclusion. while the OA from Bunel says it is "the conclusion". Clearly, saying that it is a conclusion, and saying that this is the conclusion of the prompt are two different very statements --> OA should be adjusted

What makes c) wrong is that the 2nd bold stmt doesn't back the results of the studies in the 1st bold stmt, it backs the opinion of the experts, which is the inference that the scientists have made from the conclusions of the study mentioned in the 1st leg (conclusions that serve as a premise)

Therefore, E) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 137
Schools: Booth PT'24
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with explanation. This is a Bold Face Question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re V04-39 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Solution:

A recent study indicates that [b]people who keep their workout records are far more successful at achieving their fitness goals than people who don’t keep track of their workout.
Experts believe that many fail to achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn. One study followed a group of gym-members who reported that they could not achieve their fitness goals when burning 700 calories a day. The study found that the group burned, on average, 60% fewer calories than it claimed. In contrast, when people record their exercises, their actual calories burned more closely matches their reported calories burned.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?
[/b]

A. The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory.
B. The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory.
C. The first is a conclusion reached by experts; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.
D. The first introduces a theory that the experts have disproved; the second is the basis for the experts’ argument.
E. The first is a premise upon which the experts base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct.

The conclusion of this argument is that“many people do not achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn.”The first boldface portion is a factual premise that there is an observed correlation between keeping a workout record and achieving fitness goal. This premise supports the experts’ conclusion. The second boldface portion is another supporting premise, which provides a specific study indicating that people who do not keep a workout record burn far fewer calories than they realize.
  1. The first boldface is a fact that supports the experts’ theory, but it does not illustrate the truth of that theory; however the second boldface does. The second boldface is a fact that supports the experts’ theory; it is not a competing theory.
  2. The first boldface is a fact that supports the experts’ theory, but it does not explain why their conclusion is correct.
  3. The first boldface is not the conclusion; it is an observation, i.e. a fact. The second boldface is evidence that the experts’ conclusion is correct, but not the evidence that proves that the first boldface is correct.
  4. The first boldface is a factual statement, not a theory. Moreover, the first boldface supports the theory of the experts; it is not something they have disproved.
  5. Correct. The first boldface is a basis for the experts’ conclusion that many fitness efforts fail because people burn fewer calories than they intended. The second boldface directly illustrates how fitness efforts of a certain group failed for the same reason.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
I don't agree that the conclusion of the argument is "many people do not achieve their fitness goals because they burn fewer calories than they intend to burn". I believe that BF1 is the main position of argument. The final sentence "when people record their exercises, their actual calories burned more closely matches their reported calories burned." confirms that i feel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Wrong, it is the result of a study.

Can someone please clarify why it is a premise and not a conclusion?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I do not agree that the first boldface is a premise and not the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
I guess the usage of the word "premise" in E is not the best usage. This is because it is what the recent study indicated and not a given.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts