Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618928 [18]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618928 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: V04-41 [#permalink]
Kudos
This question makes you pick between two very strange issues:

D) pronoun "its" can correctly refer to "the discovery...." However, the rest of the sentence is slightly awkward, but not necessarily wrong.

E) pronoun "their" is referring to a noun INSIDE a prepositional phrase, which is GENERALLY considered a no-no. The OG has done this on occasion, but it is always kind of strange and difficult to justify.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shanks2020 wrote:
jwang27 wrote:

D) pronoun "its" can correctly refer to "the discovery...." However, the rest of the sentence is slightly awkward, but not necessarily wrong.

E) pronoun "their" is referring to a noun INSIDE a prepositional phrase, which is GENERALLY considered a no-no. The OG has done this on occasion, but it is always kind of strange and difficult to justify.

AndrewN

I could not decide btw Options D and E. Went for D, since it made sense for Its to refer to Pure science's potential uses.
However, their also logically refers to truths' potential uses.
Can you help me how to tackle these situations where both options look grammatically and logically fine?

Hello, shanks2020. I would suggest you replace the pronoun in question with its logical referent and see which version of the sentence is harder to argue against:

(D) Whereas pure science is mainly concerned with the discovery of new truths and makes few, if any, attempts to discern the best options among [the discovery's/science's] potential uses...

(E) Whereas pure science is mainly concerned with the discovery of new truths and makes few, if any, attempts to discern the best options among [these/such truths'] potential uses...

The fact that the its in (D) could logically refer to two different singular nouns is problematic;their in (E) connects to truths. Moreover, the logical progression of ideas in (E) is clearer. It names what is discovered in truths and then comments on them; (D) jumps back and forth and makes the reader do more work to figure out what the sentence is driving at. For these reasons, the safer option is (E).

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
jwang27 wrote:

AndrewN

I could not decide btw Options D and E. Went for D, since it made sense for Its to refer to Pure science's potential uses.
Can you help me how to tackle these situations where both options look grammatically and logically fine?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hi AndrewN - I have a silly question here. I eliminated option E as structurally "their" should refer to the closest plural antecedent which is "options". But since the meaning is weird, I rejected E without even thinking for a second that "their" could also refer to a bit farther plural antecedent which is "truths". I selected option D. Why is the nearest antecedent logic not applicable in option E? What am I missing here. Thanks in advance.

AndrewN wrote:
shanks2020 wrote:
jwang27 wrote:

AndrewN

Hello, shanks2020. I would suggest you replace the pronoun in question with its logical referent and see which version of the sentence is harder to argue against:

(D) Whereas pure science is mainly concerned with the discovery of new truths and makes few, if any, attempts to discern the best options among [the discovery's/science's] potential uses...

(E) Whereas pure science is mainly concerned with the discovery of new truths and makes few, if any, attempts to discern the best options among [these/such truths'] potential uses...

The fact that the its in (D) could logically refer to two different singular nouns is problematic;their in (E) connects to truths. Moreover, the logical progression of ideas in (E) is clearer. It names what is discovered in truths and then comments on them; (D) jumps back and forth and makes the reader do more work to figure out what the sentence is driving at. For these reasons, the safer option is (E).

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
AndrewN sir

I chose option D over E.

The discovery (of something) can have multiple potential uses (in some fields).
The truths on the other hand (in option E) are the absolute facts (about something). How can we decide on among the best options about their potential uses, when we know that the truths can either be good or bad (for someone/some field), what kind of uses are we talking about?
Even if we say that there are potential uses, the word among will be wrong (because there are only two options: Good & Bad).

Kindly Help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Expert Reply
rocky620 wrote:
AndrewN sir

I chose option D over E.

The discovery (of something) can have multiple potential uses (in some fields).
The truths on the other hand (in option E) are the absolute facts (about something). How can we decide on among the best options about their potential uses, when we know that the truths can either be good or bad (for someone/some field), what kind of uses are we talking about?
Even if we say that there are potential uses, the word among will be wrong (because there are only two options: Good & Bad).

Kindly Help.

Hello, rocky620. I have discussed answer choices (D) and (E) in my first post in the thread, as well as (E) more above. I think the distinction you have created between "good or bad" truths is too narrow in scope. I read the word more as a synonym for facts or even the singular knowledge (although we still have to acknowledge the plurality of the actual word used). The sentence seems to be driving at the notion that, of all the possible applications of accepted scientific facts or current knowledge, pure science as a field does not really concern itself with deciding how to harness such potential. A theoretical physicist, for example, might be more interested in the mathematics behind quantum physics than in seeing through the development of, say, a quantum computer. Since the application of a scientific discovery could go in any of a number of directions, among is fitting to describe potential uses.

To be clear, it is not as if I am saying that (D) is a poor answer choice, that it could not work, just that (E) is the safer bet, since their has a clear referent (in truths) and the sentence is easier to follow, as I explained in my first post in the thread.

I hope this helps. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618928 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question or/and solution has been revised and edited. Thank you sayantanc2k !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Bunuel,

Can you please help me in understanding that why their is not referring to discovery of new truths and makes few(this is also plural and logical)

Whereas pure science is mainly concerned with the discovery of new truths and makes few, if any, attempts to discern the best options among their(discovery of new truths and makes few)
potential uses, applied science involves the application of existing truths to concrete problems.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
How can this statement be correct - "Between red, blue and green, I like red the best is correct"
As we know between is used for comparison between 2 things and among for more than 2.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts