It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V05-04

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 118973 [0], given: 12010

V05-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:24
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:57) correct 41% (01:03) wrong based on 68 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a recent experiment about the hypothesis that expectation influences experience of flavor, researchers conducted a taste test with over 200 participants in which each person tasted two versions of a cola beverage, one of which they were told contained a “secret taste-enhancing ingredient.” Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, researchers were surprised when participants preferred the white vinegar version of the cola beverage by a margin of three to one and concluded that the hypothesis is correct.

Which of the following, if true, offers the best basis for the conclusion of the researchers?

A. Most people actually prefer a cola beverage containing white vinegar.
B. Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the “secret ingredient”.
C. Researchers added only a small amount of vinegar to the cola.
D. Study participants were selected based on their enjoyment of white vinegar.
E. Most cola recipes contain no white vinegar.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 118973 [0], given: 12010

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 118973 [1] , given: 12010

Re V05-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 02:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Official Solution:

In a recent experiment about the hypothesis that expectation influences experience of flavor, researchers conducted a taste test with over 200 participants in which each person tasted two versions of a cola beverage, one of which they were told contained a “secret taste-enhancing ingredient.” Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, researchers were surprised when participants preferred the white vinegar version of the cola beverage by a margin of three to one and concluded that the hypothesis is correct.

Which of the following, if true, offers the best basis for the conclusion of the researchers?

B. Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the “secret ingredient”.

Situation: A study of the relationship between expectation and taste has found that a majority of participants preferred a cola beverage containing a “secret ingredient,” even though the secret ingredient was white vinegar.

Reasoning: Which option is the basis for an explanation of the conclusion of the researchers? The subject of the study is the relationship between expectation and the experience of flavor, or taste. So the correct option may relate the participants’ expectations to their responses to the two beverages. Because participants are told that one of the two beverages contains a secret ingredient – but not the identity of the ingredient – it can be concluded that participants focused simply on identifying the beverage with the secret ingredient and, because they likely expected it to be a pleasant flavor, were not able to distinguish that it was white vinegar.
  1. This option does not account for the fact that the study is on the relationship between expectation and taste.
  2. Because the topic of the study is the relationship between expectation and taste, it is reasonable to conclude that participants preferred the beverage containing white vinegar simply because they were expecting to identify and prefer the beverage with the secret ingredient.
  3. The amount of vinegar added to the cola is not addressed in the passage.
  4. Though this might be possible, it is not suggested in the passage and, more importantly, would skew the results of the study. Also, since the selection has been done by researchers, they would not have been SURPRISED
  5. This information is irrelevant to the study described in the passage.

Answer: B

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 118973 [1] , given: 12010

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 146

Re: V05-04 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2016, 09:02
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 146

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2016, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.

Target GMAT 650. Please help by giving Kudos, it's free!

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 91

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 07:15
Can you specify the source of this question ?

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 91

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2016, 23:56

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 2900 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 14:36
pvergadia wrote:

The question has been slightly modified to eliminate the ambiguity.

Kudos [?]: 2900 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 08:28
Bunuel wrote:

Please tell me where I am going wrong..

Means that we have to provide credence to researcher's conclusion i.e. provide support to their conclusion.

Researcher's Conclusion: Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, that cola should not have been preferred by majority. Hence, the hypothesis is correct.
Assumption: White Vinegar does not taste good in cola.

Even if we forget this assumption, question implies that participants were supposed to pick the cola that tasted better. Picking B states that the research study and, therefore, the researcher's conclusion are wrong because the participants did not perform the task they were supposed to do. However, if we club OA with the researcher's conclusion, we get that researcher's know that the participants did not answer the right question but still concluded that hypothesis is correct. In effect, I believe that we are accusing those researcher's of malpractice. :shock:

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2017, 13:32
umg

Researcher's hypothesis is - expectation influences experience of flavor
Results showed people preferred cola with vinegar.

as per Choice B - Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the “secret ingredient”.

People were trying to find the cola with the secret ingredient and the result showed that they preferred it, the hypothesis is proved.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Olin '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: General Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 09:18
gvikramjee wrote:
umg

Researcher's hypothesis is - expectation influences experience of flavor
Results showed people preferred cola with vinegar.

as per Choice B - Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the “secret ingredient”.

People were trying to find the cola with the secret ingredient and the result showed that they preferred it, the hypothesis is proved.

Your last line "People were trying to find the cola with the secret ingredient and the result showed that they preferred it, the hypothesis is proved" is exactly why I am saying that we may be blaming researchers of Malpractice while acknowledging that participants did not perform the job they were supposed to. Participants picked the cola that tasted differently; however, researchers concluded that they liked that cola. This is the disconnect.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please hit Kudos If my Solution helps

My Debrief for 750 - https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-to-750-one-of-the-most-difficult-pleatues-to-overcome-246420.html

My CR notes - https://gmatclub.com/forum/patterns-in-cr-questions-243450.html

Rest of the Notes coming soon.

Re: V05-04   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2017, 09:18

V05-04

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, Vyshak

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap