Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V05-17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V22
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V31
GPA: 3.14
WE: Account Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Reviews Badge
Re V05-17  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 12:57
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. CEOs suggest breaking up BIG4 into smaller operations, it doesn't say each B4 will have one accounting and one non-accounting devision, but more operations. The reasoning is very forced. You built in extra information in the reasoning, saying each BIG Four breaks into 2 divisions and therefore the number of choices won't increase. This is not stated in the passage and therefore confusing
Intern
Intern
B
Re V05-17  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 09:08
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. This explanation makes no sense given the correct answer. There is either a mistake in the answer or in the question.

I've noticed your verbal questions across the board are incredibly convoluted. Pls fix.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: V05-17  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 07:05
sayantanc2k wrote:
frangiearth wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. If each of the four firms breaks in two
then 4 firms means 8 firms. Anyway breaking the firm will help in getting more options

A corporation needs to take up 2 types of services:

A. audit services.
B. non-audit services.

Suppose, before breaking up, the four players (accounting firms) were P1, P2, P3 and P4.

Hence the corporation had 4 choices for carrying out each of A (audit services) and B (non-audit services) : P1, P2, P3 and P4.

Now, suppose the players break up into audit and non-audit sections. P1 breaks into P1a and P1b (the ending letter a denotes an audit firm and b denotes a non-audit firm).

Now the 8 players are P1a, P1b, P2a, P2b, P3a, P3b, P4a and P4b .

Now suppose the corporation wants to carry out audit service. It still has 4 options : P1a, P2a, P3a and P4a.

The same is true for non-audit services as well - the corporation still has 4 options: P1b, P2b, P3b and P4b.

Thus the number of choices does not increase by breaking up the players into audit and non-audit sections.

Hi,

Please check and confirm once again. I dont think the outcomes are 4 after the split. Also , i understand that you considered the P1 split as P1a (audit) & P1b (non audit). What if you split P1 into P1a & P1b (audit) and P1c & P1d (Non audit). Even if i consider your logic to be true here, still the outcomes are more than 4!

Not satisfied with the answer explanation. E cannot be the correct choice!

Regards,
Siddhartha
Intern
Intern
B
Re: V05-17  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2019, 21:16
Hi, I had the same reasoning when doing the excercise. But when doing the math, the options for a company will (slightly) increase:

- Currently: Company X has 4 options for one cathegory and 3 for the other.
- With all four firms splited in audit and non-audit services: Company X 4 options for one cathegory and 4 for the other.

Is this reason very exaggerated? Thanks!

sayantanc2k wrote:
frangiearth wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. If each of the four firms breaks in two
then 4 firms means 8 firms. Anyway breaking the firm will help in getting more options

A corporation needs to take up 2 types of services:

A. audit services.
B. non-audit services.

Suppose, before breaking up, the four players (accounting firms) were P1, P2, P3 and P4.

Hence the corporation had 4 choices for carrying out each of A (audit services) and B (non-audit services) : P1, P2, P3 and P4.

Now, suppose the players break up into audit and non-audit sections. P1 breaks into P1a and P1b (the ending letter a denotes an audit firm and b denotes a non-audit firm).

Now the 8 players are P1a, P1b, P2a, P2b, P3a, P3b, P4a and P4b .

Now suppose the corporation wants to carry out audit service. It still has 4 options : P1a, P2a, P3a and P4a.

The same is true for non-audit services as well - the corporation still has 4 options: P1b, P2b, P3b and P4b.

Thus the number of choices does not increase by breaking up the players into audit and non-audit sections.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V05-17   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2019, 21:16

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

V05-17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel