GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

V07-09

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: V07-09  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2016, 19:26
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. No clear explanation is given. POE method or grammatical methodogy
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2016, 09:11
ravisarens wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Please elaborate your doubt specifically, so that we may discuss it properly - I would suggest that you go through the explanations given in this thread in order to see whether you get your answer from them - if you don't, please post your specific doubt.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 06:56
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. the first answer choise is wrong, it repearts the last choise.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 19:25
OSCARWN wrote:
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. the first answer choise is wrong, it repearts the last choise.

Thank you pointing out.... corrected.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 00:15
Can You Please elaborately explain why option A is wrong. and what is the intended Meaning of the sentence?
Is it that They are changing the working conditions and its effect is being observed in the workers performance?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 10:09
I also agree that this question is not a good quality question. Given the time context it is tough to use a present participle that denotes that the experiments are still investigating the performance.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Operations (Health Care)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 15:03
This question is from GMAT prep.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stanford '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 06:45
+1 with vjena, there is nothig "awkward" to me in D, and it is correct in grammar and meaning.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q156 V159
GPA: 3.7
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 07:40
bschool3 wrote:
I think the answer should be D. The wording is quite a mouthful, but not grammatically incorrect. On the other hand, B has the phrase "would have", which has two implications: (1) the effects are hypothetical (2) they happen at some future date. Both these implications alter the sense of teh sentence as given. I'd go with D

Would can also be used when reporting a past event.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
Reviews Badge
Re V07-09  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 16:24
I think this is a high-quality question. what is the role of that in option B , i am unable to understand . Is it a connector ??
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 23:09
MartyMurray

Could you please help me with the POE??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 05:39
Prateek176 wrote:
MartyMurray

Could you please help me with the POE??

I don't really like this question, as I find that choice D better expresses the meaning to be conveyed than does the OA. Still, I'll give you my reasoning.

In the mid-1920’s the Clyde Fan Factory of the Bosch Manufacturing Company was the scene of an intensive series of experiments that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance.

A. that would investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance

This choice does not express clearly what is being investigated. It starts off OK, when it says "investigate changes in working conditions", but "investigate changes in working conditions as to their effects on workers’ performance" is basically meaningless. Are the effects being investigated? This choice does not say so. It basically mushes a bunch of words together to sound as if it says something.

Also, it is not the case that the experiments "would investigate" the changes. The experiments did investigate the changes.

B. investigating the effects that changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

This choice basically makes sense. It clearly expresses that the purpose of the experiments is to investigate the effects of changes in working conditions.

I don't really like this choice as much as I like D, though, as to me it makes more sense that what was being investigated was not the effect that changes "would have" on worker performance but rather the effects that changes in working conditions actually have on worker performance.

C. for investigating what are the effects in workers’ performance that changes in working conditions would cause

This version is poorly worded. What was being investigated was the effects. Saying that they were investigating "what are the effects" throws in the wording of a question, "what are", where such wording does not make sense.

Also, "effects in" is not idiomatic. The expression commonly used is "effects on", which also makes more sense than "effects in".

D. that investigated changes in working conditions’ effects on workers’ performance

To me this is the best, most concise answer. It clearly conveys that the experiments investigated the effects of the changes. I guess we could argue that it would make more sense to put "effects" directly after "investigated" as choice B does.

In any case, the difference between this choice and choice B seems to me to be a style call rather than a clear case of one choice's being better than the other.

Perhaps "investigating" in B is more continuous than "that investigated" in this choice. Tough call. Anyway, overall, after considering this question for years, I still prefer this choice.

Meanwhile, do experiments themselves "investigate". Even that idea is debatable. So, on the whole, this question is not great.

E. to investigate what the effects changes in working conditions would have on workers’ performance

In this version "to investigate" does not make as much sense as "investigating" or "that investigated". The point is not that the experiments were merely "to investigate". The experiments actually did investigate. This point is a minor one, but it contributes to the elimination of this choice.

The big issue with this choice is the addition of the word "what". This word is totally unnecessary, and its presence results in the sentence's conveying a completely muddled meaning. This version conveys that the experiments investigated what the effects would have, as if the effects themselves would have something. You can see that this is the case by eliminating a few words to get the following:

"... experiments to investigate what the effects ... would have ..."

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 22:46
I choose D during the test and got incorrect, while analysing I picked B.
I'm really not sure what's going on here.
Is D incorrect because of that investigated changes ?

Hit Kudos if you like the post

GMAT Club Bot
Re: V07-09 &nbs [#permalink] 29 Oct 2018, 22:46

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 33 posts ] 

V07-09

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap