It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V07-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 21

GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: V07-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2016, 03:17
sayantanc2k wrote:
Navinder wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Option D is true because the price cut had impact on SOME gaming units. In order for option D to be true, it not required that the price cut necessarily affect ALL gaming units.

So, in a general case we consider statement is true for SOME unless it is mentioned for ALL?

No, not in all cases. The meaning needs to be considered with care. For example:

Cows are domestic animals ..... here the statement implies that ALL cows are domestic animals.

However for the subject question, consider this way:

A set S consists of two subsets P and Q. Something changed the subset P. A change in subset also implies a change in super-set because the super-set is no longer the same as a part of it has changed. Hence change in P implies a change in S.

Here gaming units= super-set S
Xbox = subset P
PS4 = subset Q

Interesting piece of thought. Thanks sayantanc2k.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 21

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 03:37
Can somebody explain to me why A is incorrect?

Fight The Good Fight!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3518 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V07-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 08:41
Ashreya95 wrote:
Can somebody explain to me why A is incorrect?

The passage only states that PS4 is behind Xbox. It is not stated whether this falling behind is because of lower brand reach or less mass following. PS4 may as well have the brand reach and the mass following needed to overtake Xbox, BUT it may be lacking in some other factor that is making it fall behind Xbox. Therefore option A cannot be concluded.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 76

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.38
Reviews Badge
Re V07-36 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 17:36
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Option D is that price cut had direct impact on sales of Gaming Units. As per the argument, Price cut and bundled services had impacted the sales of Xbox. We are not sure, if the same can be generalised for all the gaming units. Secondly, it is difficult to point out that what impact price cut had on sales. It can be a possibility that price cut poorly correlates to increase in sales.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 76

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 18:12
1988achilles wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Option D is that price cut had direct impact on sales of Gaming Units. As per the argument, Price cut and bundled services had impacted the sales of Xbox. We are not sure, if the same can be generalised for all the gaming units. Secondly, it is difficult to point out that what impact price cut had on sales. It can be a possibility that price cut poorly correlates to increase in sales.

The same questions have been raised before and following were the discussions:

v07-199574.html#p1712297

v07-199574.html#p1712581

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 50

Schools: Duke '20, Tepper '20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 18:27
So D is just a restatement. How can a restatement be a conclusion. I know that rest all questions are wrong.
Need some enlightenment.
Moreover, He says that the "Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games." through this can we say that
Price cut had DIRECT IMPACT on sales ?
If we can say so, let me know. I will remember the same. :) .
thank you

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 50

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 192

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 23:41
Quote:
Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games.

I initially thought the answer would be D, but switched to another thinking that the sale of Xbox One may be accelerated due to direct impact of free games and price cut may play an indirect role. Is it possible?

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 192

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2017, 05:49
souvik101990 wrote:
If you go by the popularity of Gaming units, as of Jan 4th 2015, Sony’s PS4 sold 18.5 million units and reached 10.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers, a growth of 37.9% from October 2014. Despite the massive growth, Sony’s PlayStation is behind Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games. On 28th January 2015, Spotify, the leading music subscription service announced an exclusive partnership with PS4, and offered digital music to 64 million PlayStation Network users. With the announcement, Feb 2015 saw a spike in sales for the PS4 units by 45%.
Which one of the following conclusions is valid for the above statements?

A. PS4, on itself, does not have the brand reach nor the mass following needed to overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One.
B. Demand for Microsoft’s Xbox One declined during Feb 2015
C. Bundling of services has increased the market share for Sony’s PS4
D. Price cut had a direct impact on sales of Gaming Units
E. Sales of Sony’s PS4 will overtake Microsoft’s Xbox One in 2015

I marked C as the correct answer and got it wrong.
After reading various explanations I agree that C can't be the answer. However, at the same time I am not convinced that D is the correct answer. The text "due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games",clearly indicates that price cut is not the only reason to impact the sales of gaming unit. It could be possible that since both the event (price cut and free games) took place simultaneously it could be possible that price cut has apparently not effect and all the effect is because of free games.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 40

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 02:42
Dear Expert,

Please explain why Answer choice
B. Demand for Microsoft’s Xbox One declined during Feb 2015 -cannot work as conclusion.

Feb 2015 saw a spike in sales for the PS4 units by 45%. -> We can imply that demand for Xbox declined in Feb 2015.

I completely agree with answer choice D) too.
from "Sony’s PlayStation is behind Microsoft’s Xbox One, which in November 2014 accelerated its sales due to a $50 price cut, and a bundle of free games." but price cut was not only the factor that impacted sales.

please clarify.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: V07-36   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 02:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

V07-36

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap