GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V11-07

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V11-07  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 23:59
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm or growing more than 160 cm, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long, are oviparous, and produce up to 30 eggs which are deposited in hollow tree trunks or rotting logs.

A. A. Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm or growing more than 160 cm, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long,
B. B. Boomslangs, rarely more than 500 gm in weight or more than 160 cm in length, but with 3 large grooved fangs, growing up to 5 mm,
C. C. Boomslangs, rarely weighing more than 500 gm and growing more than 160 cm, but having 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long,
D. D. Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm and growing more than 160 cm, but having 3 large grooved fangs that can grow to be 5 mm,
E. E. Boomslangs, rarely more than 500 gm in weight or more than 160 cm in length, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow to be 5 mm,

(A) Lack of parallelism: weighing……or growing……. is not parallel to with 3 large grooved fangs; instead having 3 large grooved fangs is preferred. The words grow and long are redundant.

(B) The participial modifier growing to be… refers to the subject Boomslangs wrongly.

(C) The conjunction "and" is wrong. The words grow and long are redundant.

(D) The conjunction "and" is wrong.

(E)Correct. Fixes all the problems above.

Answer: E

Let me know if my thinking is correct verb-ing group (weiging or growing) is not parallel to prepositional phrase and so it is incorrect.
In E both above elements are noun phrases and parallel and so correct

--If you like my post pls give kudos

CR Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 20:22
Hi Vyshak

Kindly reformat the options.

Thanks!

souvik101990 wrote:
Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm or growing more than 160 cm, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long, are oviparous, and produce up to 30 eggs which are deposited in hollow tree trunks or rotting logs.

A. A. Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm or growing more than 160 cm, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long,
B. B. Boomslangs, rarely more than 500 gm in weight or more than 160 cm in length, but with 3 large grooved fangs, growing up to 5 mm,
C. C. Boomslangs, rarely weighing more than 500 gm and growing more than 160 cm, but having 3 large grooved fangs that can grow up to 5 mm long,
D. D. Boomslangs, weighing rarely more than 500 gm and growing more than 160 cm, but having 3 large grooved fangs that can grow to be 5 mm,
E. E. Boomslangs, rarely more than 500 gm in weight or more than 160 cm in length, but with 3 large grooved fangs that can grow to be 5 mm,

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V35
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 02:49
sayantanc2k wrote:
pvergadia wrote:

I have the same question - is ''grow to be 5mm" correct usage. I landed on the right answer but I was hesitant to pick it because ''grow to be 5mm" didnt seem natural. I would really appreciate if someone can clarify.

Thanks!

It is absolutely alright. An official question uses the phrase "grow to be".

Hi sir,

Could you please clarify if my following understanding is correct?

 The sentence is trying to say that Boomslands are rarely more than 500 gm in weight or more than 160cm in length. The intended meaning is Boomslangs have a property that doesn’t exceed 500gm in weight or 160 cm in length.

If we replace “OR” with “AND” then the meaning is going to be that Boombslangs are rarely more than 500 gm in weight and (AT THE SAME TIME) more than 160cm in length. The modifier now does not negate the chance of observing either of those properties of Boombslands separately. Now, the boombslands can be more than 500 gm in weight but less than 160cm in length, or less than 500gm in weight but more than 160cm in length.

Beside meaning issue, is there any other split that can help us discard the answer? Is the redundancy in "can grow up to 5 mm long" so serious to ruin totally the grammatical aspect of the sentence?
Thank you
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 13:44
Hello sayantanc2k

Can you please tell me how these 3 entities are parallel..

Boomslangs,
-> rarely more than 500 gm in weight OR
-> more than 160 cm in length,
-> but with 3 large grooved fangs
---------------------------->that can grow to be 5 mm,

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V11-07 &nbs [#permalink] 03 Oct 2018, 13:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 24 posts ] 

V11-07

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap