Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [4]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: V30-05 [#permalink]
Option(E) makes sense to be correct answer.
(E)Trace the formation and function of the United States Sanitary Commission
Encapsulates the role of women in overall terms.
USSC is the seed of initiatives taken by women & further women played various functions.
Hence please tell me one reason of elimination of option E.
Bunuel

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
OhsostudiousMJ wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

With the outbreak of the civil war which ran through 1861-65, women and men alike eagerly volunteered to fight for the cause. In the Northern states, women organized ladies' aid societies to supply the Union troops with everything they needed, from food (they baked and canned and planted fruit and vegetable gardens for the soldiers) to clothing (they sewed and laundered uniforms, knitted socks and gloves, mended blankets and embroidered quilts and pillowcases) to cash (they organized door-to-door fundraising campaigns, county fairs and performances of all kinds to raise money for medical supplies and other necessities).

But many women wanted to take a more active role in the war effort. Inspired by the work of Florence Nightingale and her fellow nurses in the Crimean War, they tried to find a way to work on the front lines, caring for sick and injured soldiers and keeping the rest of the Union troops healthy and safe. In June 1861, they succeeded: The federal government agreed to create "a preventive hygienic and sanitary service for the benefit of the army" called the United States Sanitary Commission. The Sanitary Commission's primary objective was to combat preventable diseases and infections by improving conditions (particularly "bad cookery" and bad hygiene) in army camps and hospitals. It also worked to provide relief to sick and wounded soldiers. By war's end, the Sanitary Commission had provided almost $15 million in supplies-the vast majority of which had been collected by women-to the Union Army.

Nearly 20,000 women worked more directly for the Union war effort. Working-class white women and free and enslaved African-American women worked as laundresses, cooks and "matrons," and some 3,000 middle-class white women worked as nurses. The activist Dorothea Dix, the superintendent of Army nurses, put out a call for responsible, maternal volunteers who would not distract the troops or behave in unseemly or unfeminine ways: Dix insisted that her nurses be "past 30 years of age, healthy, plain almost to repulsion in dress and devoid of personal attractions." (One of the most famous of these Union nurses was the writer Louisa May Alcott.) Army nurses traveled from hospital to hospital, providing "humane and efficient care for wounded, sick and dying soldiers." They also acted as mothers and housekeepers-"havens in a heartless world"-for the soldiers under their care.

What is the primary purpose of the passage?

A. Describe the agenda of working-class white women and enslaved African-American Women in the war
B. Explain the different roles played by women in the civil war
C. The relationship of women as mothers and housekeepers in the late nineteenth century America
D. Influence of Florence Nightingale on American Women during the civil war
E. Trace the formation and function of the United States Sanitary Commission

The passage does describe the different roles that women played during the civil war. Option B correctly identifies this. Option A does talk about the agenda but that is not the primary purpose of the passage. Option C, D and E are also too specific, and while the passage mentions them, they do not capture the essence of the entire paragraph.

Answer: B

Hi,
I was caught between B and E, and I went ahead with E. Here's why..
    - The first para tells about the eagerness of women to help in the war and they did whatever little they could.
    - The second para tells that the women wanted a more active role and thus the USSC was formed.
    - The third para tells the efforts/functions of women as part of USSC

The way this passage is structured, I felt E was the right answer. Please help me where my train of thought is going wrong or convince me how B is better than E?

Thanks in advance.

I also marked E. Please correct us KarishmaB Bunuel bb souvik101990

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paliwalvaibhav wrote:
OhsostudiousMJ wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

With the outbreak of the civil war which ran through 1861-65, women and men alike eagerly volunteered to fight for the cause. In the Northern states, women organized ladies' aid societies to supply the Union troops with everything they needed, from food (they baked and canned and planted fruit and vegetable gardens for the soldiers) to clothing (they sewed and laundered uniforms, knitted socks and gloves, mended blankets and embroidered quilts and pillowcases) to cash (they organized door-to-door fundraising campaigns, county fairs and performances of all kinds to raise money for medical supplies and other necessities).

But many women wanted to take a more active role in the war effort. Inspired by the work of Florence Nightingale and her fellow nurses in the Crimean War, they tried to find a way to work on the front lines, caring for sick and injured soldiers and keeping the rest of the Union troops healthy and safe. In June 1861, they succeeded: The federal government agreed to create "a preventive hygienic and sanitary service for the benefit of the army" called the United States Sanitary Commission. The Sanitary Commission's primary objective was to combat preventable diseases and infections by improving conditions (particularly "bad cookery" and bad hygiene) in army camps and hospitals. It also worked to provide relief to sick and wounded soldiers. By war's end, the Sanitary Commission had provided almost $15 million in supplies-the vast majority of which had been collected by women-to the Union Army.

Nearly 20,000 women worked more directly for the Union war effort. Working-class white women and free and enslaved African-American women worked as laundresses, cooks and "matrons," and some 3,000 middle-class white women worked as nurses. The activist Dorothea Dix, the superintendent of Army nurses, put out a call for responsible, maternal volunteers who would not distract the troops or behave in unseemly or unfeminine ways: Dix insisted that her nurses be "past 30 years of age, healthy, plain almost to repulsion in dress and devoid of personal attractions." (One of the most famous of these Union nurses was the writer Louisa May Alcott.) Army nurses traveled from hospital to hospital, providing "humane and efficient care for wounded, sick and dying soldiers." They also acted as mothers and housekeepers-"havens in a heartless world"-for the soldiers under their care.

What is the primary purpose of the passage?

A. Describe the agenda of working-class white women and enslaved African-American Women in the war
B. Explain the different roles played by women in the civil war
C. The relationship of women as mothers and housekeepers in the late nineteenth century America
D. Influence of Florence Nightingale on American Women during the civil war
E. Trace the formation and function of the United States Sanitary Commission

The passage does describe the different roles that women played during the civil war. Option B correctly identifies this. Option A does talk about the agenda but that is not the primary purpose of the passage. Option C, D and E are also too specific, and while the passage mentions them, they do not capture the essence of the entire paragraph.

Answer: B

Hi,
I was caught between B and E, and I went ahead with E. Here's why..
    - The first para tells about the eagerness of women to help in the war and they did whatever little they could.
    - The second para tells that the women wanted a more active role and thus the USSC was formed.
    - The third para tells the efforts/functions of women as part of USSC

The way this passage is structured, I felt E was the right answer. Please help me where my train of thought is going wrong or convince me how B is better than E?

Thanks in advance.

I also marked E. Please correct us KarishmaB Bunuel bb souvik101990

Posted from my mobile device

USSC is discussed only in the second paragraph. It ends suitably with "By war's end, the Sanitary Commission had provided almost $15 million in supplies."
The discussion on USSC is over.

The third paragraph is talking generally about the various roles played by women. It also discusses Army nurses, not members of USSC. There is no discussion on USSC in the third paragraph.

Correct answer is (B).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts