GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Jul 2020, 18:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Vanderbilt Owen ($) vs. Fordham Gabelli ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Vandy or Fordham?

• 100% [9]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Fordham   Owen   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Vanderbilt Owen ($) vs. Fordham Gabelli ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 May 2019, 20:02
Hello,

I got into both Fordham and Vanderbilt, each with $30K in scholarships. I'm looking to stay in my current industry which is Brand Marketing/Strategy with a focus on IB, luxury or food & bev (which has been my career trajectory thus far). Initially I was happy with Fordham because the alumni network in NYC is stronger than Vanderbilt's - when I spoke to admissions they couldn't even put me in touch with someone from Brand to speak with. But with just sheer competition, is that looking too narrowly at what I want to accomplish?

My question is: is it worth the NYC network to turn down a much-better ranked program for boots on the ground? Or will the strength of the name and the career department even it out? Or just wait and see if I happen to get off of NYU's waitlist?

Thank you for your help!

Originally posted by adaelizabeth on 03 May 2019, 13:51.
Last edited by adaelizabeth on 03 May 2019, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Vanderbilt Owen ($) vs. Fordham Gabelli ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 May 2019, 19:15
adaelizabeth wrote:
I'm looking to stay in my current industry which is Brand Marketing/Strategy with a focus on IB, luxury or food & bev (which has been my career trajectory thus far).

I don't think either of these programs will be super great launch pads in to Brand Marketing/Strategy in luxury. What do you mean by IB? And what do you mean by Food and Bev? (Is that CPG like Kraft-Heinz or is it Restaurants in the Service Industry? Or do you have high-end brands in mind?)

adaelizabeth wrote:
see if I happen to get off of NYU's waitlist

From what I understood from your post, NYU would definitely be the best play. (Luxury, etc.)

That all said, are you 100% certain that's the type of employment outcome you want to pursue?

Vanderbilt and Nashville will be a very different MBA experience than Fordham and NYC. Not only will the next two years look dramatically different, but it will also shape how/where you recruit. *I* think Nashville is the better experience of the two, so I voted Vandy on your poll, but if you're absolutely committed to living/working in NYC, Fordham may be the better bet (while you wait out NYU).

Originally posted by teleste on 03 May 2019, 19:13.
Last edited by teleste on 03 May 2019, 19:15, edited 2 times in total.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 19:14
BTW, the poll is between Vanderbilt and Owen...

o.O
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 19:50
teleste wrote:
BTW, the poll is between Vanderbilt and Owen...

o.O

OMG :lol: that shows where my head is at rn!!!!! Freudian slip or...?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 19:58
teleste wrote:
adaelizabeth wrote:
I'm looking to stay in my current industry which is Brand Marketing/Strategy with a focus on IB, luxury or food & bev (which has been my career trajectory thus far).

I don't think either of these programs will be super great launch pads in to Brand Marketing/Strategy in luxury. What do you mean by IB? And what do you mean by Food and Bev? (Is that CPG like Kraft-Heinz or is it Restaurants in the Service Industry? Or do you have high-end brands in mind?)

adaelizabeth wrote:
see if I happen to get off of NYU's waitlist

From what I understood from your post, NYU would definitely be the best play. (Luxury, etc.)

That all said, are you 100% certain that's the type of employment outcome you want to pursue?

Vanderbilt and Nashville will be a very different MBA experience than Fordham and NYC. Not only will the next two years look dramatically different, but it will also shape how/where you recruit. *I* think Nashville is the better experience of the two, so I voted Vandy on your poll, but if you're absolutely committed to living/working in NYC, Fordham may be the better bet (while you wait out NYU).

Thank you so much for your input!! :)

Do you think you could explain more re employment outcomes you want to pursue? In general, yes I am interested in my career "wheelhouse" - I have a background of working for French luxury companies in the wine & spirits industry, largely in the advertising space - but beyond that I have broad interests and am into pursuing consulting as a career as well. Also, in terms of food & bev you are right in terms that it's both- yes for a CPG food company (Mondelez, Kraft, PepsiCo, Pernod Ricard, Diageo, Campari...etc etc) as well as for larger hospitality companies such as Hilton, or conglomerates such as LVMH. I am an American but I speak French fluently so working for French companies is a big deal for me...I'm also not a career-switcher, either. Does that make sense?

I think I am very industry focused, and that probably constricts my options than say, someone who is more into general finance or consulting.
Current Student
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 05:06
Vanderbilt 100% better brand and more reputable and top 30....Fordham not so much..go to the best school you got into which is by Vanderbilt by FAR
Current Student
S
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2019, 08:05
The Fordham employment report is rather vague. That is concerning. I would imagine the strength of the network is NYC-based, but perhaps not all that strong, especially given the part time programs, etc. Have you been able to connect with anybody in your desired field from there?

Vandy is better than its ranking imo, perhaps seen as "on the rise." Like others before it, I strongly believe the parent institution name will continue to carry it forward, and the quality of the applicants seems to have already matched schools in the 17-24 range.

All that said--your specific situation is not generic. NYU will undoubtedly provide the best opportunity for your career goal. Do you mind sharing your stats/background? I would also be curious to hear what other schools you applied to and the results (there are plenty between Vandy and NYU that could be good fits). Would you try again or are you set on going this year?

TLDR: I voted Vandy because it is without a doubt the superior program all things equal, and I would imagine the name would carry weight even if the network is less than extensive in your desired field.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Vanderbilt Owen ($) vs. Fordham Gabelli ($$)   [#permalink] 06 May 2019, 08:05

Vanderbilt Owen ($) vs. Fordham Gabelli ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate