Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
How to Find the Best MBA Admission Consultants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: How to Find the Best MBA Admission Consultants
If you’re wondering who the best MBA admission consultants are in the industry today, this article is dedicated to you. While I can’t claim to have all of the answers for you, I can give you my perspective as someone who has been on both sides of the table: I worked with an mba admissions consultant when I was applying to business school, have since advised many others as an mba admissions consultant, and I’m now the founder of Vantage Point MBA, a boutique firm focuses on advising candidates to the top schools.

The short answer is that unfortunately there is no Billy Bean to help guide you through this decision process. Depending on what number you believe, roughly 20% of applicants chose to work with an mba admissions consultant (GMAC) or over 50% (MBA Admissions Consultant trade association). Let’s take the average between the two and assume that 1 in 3 applicants to the top MBA programs are making the decision to get professional help with their applications. They do so for a variety of reasons, but most chose to work with a consultant to help position their applications in the best possible light (eg. get insights from people who know what the adcom is looking for, have insight into the specifics of the programs themselves, and can help you consider what the MBA could do for you (realistically) in the grand scheme of your career). While consultants can’t work miracles, they can help guide you through a somewhat vague, “black box” process, share examples of what’s worked for other applicants with similar profiles, help flesh out stories and goals, and provide you with a structure and second set of (critical) eyes as you develop your pitch.

But that wasn’t your question. So how do you pick who to work with? Easy – invest the time to get it right and find someone that’s the right fit. That’s probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but before making such an important decision (financially and otherwise), you owe it to yourself to do your research, speak with potential consultants directly, ask the tough questions, and determine not only whether this is someone whose guidance you trust, but whether the consultant is a person who you can see yourself working with, not on a couple of drafts, but on v15, when you’re tired, frustrated and just want ‘everything to be done already’.

So with that, here are some key questions to ask as you’re talking to potential consultants (note be sure you ask these questions to your actual potential consultant, not the salesperson who you might speak with first at some of the larger firms).

1) How many years of professional experience do you have working with applicants? Why does this matter? Like every other profession, experience matters. Many companies will hire consultants with zero experience working with applicants but who have either been through the application process themselves or are a former admissions committee officer. This could be like hiring a financial advisor who is theoretically qualified because he or she manages his or her own money. Might be great, might not. Time will tell but you deserve to know and often this won’t be public, so definitely ask the question.

2) Have you ever worked with an applicant like me? Why does this matter? It could be a proxy for whether or not you’ll ‘click’ personality and work style wise (and this is super important given this person is helping you analyze and position your personal and professional life). To use another Sabermetrics (Moneyball) comparison, finding the right consultant is more akin to the 2014 Red Sox (don’t hate me Yankees fans – I married into Boston!): the 2014 Red Sox were a group of self-described ‘idiots’ who staged the greatest comeback in sports history (down 1-3 in the ALCS to the Yankees) by having a comradery and a team spirit that was second to none. They still remembered how to ‘Cowboy Up’ and work together. You need someone who you have that connection with and can work well together with. My husband asked me recently how I knew whether or not a client would be a good fit for me and my response was ‘the same way you know when a potential new hire on your team will be a good fit – connection’.

3) How many clients do you take per round? If you’re going to be one of too many, then it will be impossible to receive that ‘high touch’ service that everyone markets. Make sure your consultant has time for you, especially as you get down to the wire. I talk a bit more about this below too….

Now what are the other considerations? Since the admissions consulting industry is not typically well understood, I’ll break it down a bit in order to help you with your research and knowing what questions to ask based on what you personally are looking for (emphasis on personally because truly different firms have different styles and whether that works for you is up to you – there is no one-size-fits all).

– It’s a bigger industry than you thought: What most applicants do not realize is that the admissions consulting has become a massive industry onto itself. There are literally hundreds of firms, ranging from one-man (or woman) shops to multi-million dollar conglomerates that can also sell you GMAT prep classes, help you with your Law School personal statements if the MBA doesn’t work out, and provide business school loans. The industry is so big it has its own industry association now!

– They’re ALL ‘the best’: If you’ve looked at more than a handful of these companies you’ll see something in common – somehow, they’re all ‘the best, with testimonials, reviews, and in some cases ‘independent audits’ to prove it. One place to start assessing whether or not they are ‘the best’ for you is by looking at consultant reviews on third-party applicant blogs and forums (I was ADDICTED to these MBA forums when I was applying). However, a lot of companies, particularly the smaller ones, aren’t listed on many of the more popular sites. Does that mean they don’t have a track record of success? Absolutely not. But to be eligible for reviews on certain (very popular) sites, yep you guessed it, consulting companies have to pay (sometimes upwards of $10,000 per year for the privilege). Companies (Vantage Point included…) pay even more than that to have their own forums on these sites, or to be listed as ‘experts’. Paying doesn’t mean these companies aren’t as good as they seem (quite honestly we pay for the opportunity to give free advice and show people how we work so they have something to go on), but it does mean that some other firms are excluded and you shouldn’t hold that against them.

– Beware of the metrics: A common metric that is thrown around is the number of clients that a firm/consultant has helped through the process. This sort of feels like McDonald’s celebrating its billionth hamburger served, doesn’t it? Is volume a good thing because it reflects experience, or is it a bad thing because it shows that the company/consultant is churning through applicants and likely won’t have the time to develop a personalized approach to your application? Be sure to ask about individual consultant capacity. Realistically it’s hard to provide “high touch” service to 50 clients per round, so you’ll want to get a straight answer on how many clients each consultant works with at a time.

And of course there’s your favorite one (if you love data): the success metric. The problem with this metric is the fine print – the data is often self reported and limited to certain clients. Additionally, there are two types of firms out there: a) the ones who focus on success and thereby have adverse incentives to guide clients towards “easier” schools to get into; and b) the ones who don’t focus on success metrics and are incented to get you into the best school that they can purely because of the potential awesome review from you. So, if you see a metric, ask for the background on it like you would with anything else.

Bottom line – Admissions Consultants can be a huge advantage in helping you navigate this complex and stressful (yet very important!) process. They can significantly help strengthen your application by building a relationship with you and leveraging their own experiences to help you position yourself optimally. And there are great consultants and a lot of firms out there to help. But of course, the short answer to your question remains that there is no silver bullet for how to find the right firm and consultant for you. Take your time, do your research, talk to multiple people and of course I recommend asking the questions I referenced above.

Hope this helps (or at least adds to the conversation!) and thanks for starting this thread!

The post How to Find the Best MBA Admission Consultants appeared first on Vantage Point MBA.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
How to Tackle Kellogg’s Video Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: How to Tackle Kellogg’s Video Essays
With Kellogg’s Round 1 deadline quickly approaching, our admissions consulting clients have been asking how best to prepare for and tackle Kellogg’s video essays.

For context, let’s think about what Kellogg is trying to learn about you from this portion of the application. Since the school leverages alumni (like myself!) to conduct the vast majority of their interviews, the video essays might be the only time the admissions committee gets to see your smiling face and hear you put your thoughts into spoken words. As such, it is the perfect vehicle to showcase your personable, engaging self.

Kellogg has provided two of the three questions you will be asked and outlines the topic of the third prompt. Knowing the questions in advance is a blessing and a curse. It certainly defrays some anxiety about not being able to come up with a good answer. However, being able to prepare and practice your answers makes it more difficult to come off as natural (please don’t read from a sheet of paper!) and likely ups the overall quality of responses (i.e., the competition is fiercer).

For reference, this year’s questions are:

[list]
[*]Please introduce yourself to the admissions committee.[/*]
[*]What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?[/*]
[*]*NEW* This question will be based on a challenge you’ve faced and what you’ve learned from it.[/*]
[/list]
[b]Timing is Key[/b]
Once the clock starts ticking, you will have 60 seconds to answer each one. My first word of advice is to focus the bulk of your practice on getting the timing right – a minute is shorter than you think! I’ve practiced live with countless clients over the years and most of them initially get cutoff mid-thought. Once you’ve bulleted out your responses, practice saying them (out loud!) with a timer running. Then do it again.

[b]Content Should be Complementary, not Repetitive[/b]
My next word of advice is on content. The admissions committee will have just read your written essays, so don’t overtly repeat them. The video essays are an opportunity to build on what you’ve included in the rest of your application.

It is also an opportunity to showcase your personality – as such, have a little fun with these, especially the first question. Perhaps throw in a hobby you love or mention your family, pets, spouse, etc. The second question is fairly cut and dry; this is content you should have down pat at this point.

Since you don’t know the exact prompt for the last question, prepare a few (2-3) brief stories that might fit. Last year this question was revealed in advance and focused on how applicants had responded to the upheaval of 2020 – something topical like this is certainly still appropriate so don’t limit your stories to standard work challenges, etc. The key with your answer here is authenticity – truly reflect on what each challenge has taught you and how you have put these learnings into practice since.

[b]Delivery is the Icing on the Cake (the Best Part, Right?)[/b]
Lastly, put thought and practice behind your delivery. This is what separates good video essays from great ones. Look directly at your webcam, speak slowly and clearly (a computer mic can sound muffled!), and – most importantly – smile! In my experience, mindset is everything here. Put on the shirt or dress that makes you feel like a million bucks, imagine there is a warm, receptive face on the computer screen and talk directly to it. As I said earlier, this is likely the admissions committee’s only chance to see you ‘live’, so make the most of it.

With a little practice, you’ll do great. Video essays tend to stress applicants out more than they need to. This might be easy for me to say from my seat at the table but view them as an opportunity more than a hurdle!

As always, we’re here to help, including with hourly advice on things such as interview skills and waitlist strategy. We are also accepting clients for Round 2! Click [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]here[/url] to schedule an initial consultation.

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/09/13/how-to-tackle-kelloggs-video-essays-2/]How to Tackle Kellogg’s Video Essays[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Essay Advice – Dartmouth Tuck [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Essay Advice – Dartmouth Tuck
You may have seen that Businessweek recently reaffirmed its #2 ranking for Tuck amongst US MBA Programs. While specific rankings are of debatable importance, there’s no doubt that Tuck has amazing attributes to offer – beautiful surroundings, a personalized experience, and a passionate alumni base are a few that come to mind. If you’re applying to Tuck, here is what you need to know.

[b]Application Run Down[/b]
Deadlines

[list]
[*]Round 1 – September 27, 2021[/*]
[*]Round 2 – January 3, 2023[/*]
[*]Round 3 (please don’t wait for Round 3) – March 28, 2022[/*]
[/list]
Essay Prompts

[list]
[*]Tuck students can articulate how the distinctive Tuck MBA will advance their aspirations. Why are you pursuing an MBA and why Tuck? (300 words)[/*]
[*]Tuck students recognize how their individuality adds to the fabric of Tuck. Tell us who you are. (300 words)[/*]
[*]Tuck students are encouraging, collaborative and empathetic, even when it is not convenient or easy. Describe a meaningful experience in which you exemplified one or more of these attributes. (300 words)[/*]
[/list]
[b]How To Tackle The Tuck Essays[/b]
Tuck devotes an entire page on its website to ‘admissions criteria’ – the four characteristics it seeks in successful applicants: smart, accomplished, aware and encouraging. ‘Smart’ and ‘accomplished’ are basically givens for any highly regarded MBA program. However, ‘aware’ and ‘encouraging’ are a bit more nuanced. After you have solid drafts of your essays, be sure to revisit these criteria and ask yourself (or a trusted friend) whether they come to the forefront.  While not the topic of this article, make sure your recommendations showcase these characteristics as well.

[b]Thorough Research About Tuck Should Be the Backbone of Each Essay[/b]
Even more than other schools, Tuck really cares that you’ve taken the time to understand what makes its program unique and why its specific resources fit your goals. Pre-COVID, this was one school we highly, highly encouraged our clients to visit for exactly this reason.  In today’s world, attend enough events and do enough networking to replicate the knowledge you would have gleaned from the full-scale campus experience (class visit, lunch with students, chat with admissions, etc).

Also, take the time to thoroughly reflect on why what you’ve learned matters for your specific circumstances – the way you learn, the skills you are looking to build in school, the connections you need to form. Then, thoughtfully communicate these insights in your essays. Essay one is the obvious place for this, but essay two is another good place to highlight the parts of your personality that will make you a great ‘Tuckie’.

[b]Use Stories to Highlight A Few Distinct Characteristics in Essay Two[/b]
While essay three specifically asks you to tell a story, using stories to ‘show not tell’ who you are in essay two is also an optimal strategy. You can claim all day long that you are curious, team-oriented, adventurous, or whatever the case may be, but it’s hard to make this believable if it’s not backed up with an example that demonstrates it.

Given the scant word count, selectivity is key. What are the two or three things (personality traits, elements of your background, values, etc) that really define who you are? Filter these through Tuck’s four criteria and select the two (or even one, if robust enough) that you don’t highlight elsewhere in the application and align with your personal brand.

After using a brief story or two to demonstrate your selected quality(ies), spend a short paragraph extrapolating how these traits will play out at Tuck and why they will allow you to better the experience of your classmates.

[b]Take a Clue From the Change to the Third Prompt[/b]
While not a wholesale divergence from last year, Tuck has added the word ‘encouraging’ to this year’s prompt. The prior prompt asked for a time you helped someone succeed and that’s still a good way to frame up this question in your head as you brainstorm potential stories. Once you have some options, filter them (once again) through Tuck’s criteria and, more specifically, the attributes they’ve listed in the prompt (especially ‘encouraging’) to settle on the ideal one to use.

As you write, be sure to spend the bulk of the content describing your actions in detail. Frame up the context as briefly and simply as you can so that you can maximize the space devoted to the nuances of your approach – beyond the actions you took, drill into your thoughts, words, etc. The word count is limiting, so it will take some trial and error to get this right.   

If you need help with your MBA applications, including Tuck, click [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]here[/url] to schedule an initial consultation.

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/09/24/essay-advice-dartmouth-tuck/]Essay Advice – Dartmouth Tuck[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Three Tips for MBA Interview Success [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Three Tips for MBA Interview Success
If you’ve recently hit submit on your MBA applications, after doing a little happy dance that you no longer have to spend every free moment on essays, your attention will quickly turn to the interview portion of the process. Most schools will release interview invitations over the next month or so (if they haven’t already) and, while you might not need to shift into full on prep mode quite yet, now is the right time to start planning your approach.

As a starting point, consider what schools are trying to learn about you from this portion of the application.  In a nutshell, they want to understand the unique perspective you will bring to their class and gain a better understanding of whether there is an authentic ‘fit’ between you, your goals, and their program. Importantly, they want to see that you can convey these points in a clear, concise, and logical way when you don’t have the benefit of being able to carefully choose and then refine your language like you do in written essays.

While there are certainly outliers (such as [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2020/02/17/how-to-stand-out-in-the-wharton-tbd/]Wharton’s Team Based Discussion[/url]), many of the top programs utilize a fairly straightforward, conversational format. You can expect to be asked for an overview of your background / resume, to outline your goals and how ‘program X’ will enable them, and likely some ‘behavioral questions’ that seek to understand how you’ve demonstrated critical skills like leadership and teamwork in the past.

As you consider your material and start to bullet out your answers to [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2016/12/10/exit-polls-interview-reports-for-stanford-haas-sloan-columbia-booth-and-fuqua/]commonly asked questions[/url], keep in mind the following three tips:

[b]1. Control the narrative (without being obvious about it)[/b]
Think like a politician (albeit a very humble, not ‘politician-like’ politician).  Politics 101 teaches us to ‘control the narrative’ or, said another way, tell the story your way, before someone else has the chance to draw their own conclusions. Controlling the narrative also relies heavily on storytelling – successful politicians (on both sides of the aisle) paint a compelling picture of society’s needs and powerfully advocate for how their policies will address them.

So how does this apply to you? If you’ve done a good job crafting your [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2019/05/22/how-to-develop-your-personal-brand/]personal brand[/url], you know the key tenets of what you bring to the table (both personally and professionally) and where you plan to go in the future. Think of the key stories that crystallize these points and jot them down. Now, bump these stories up against the list of questions you will likely be asked – think about how you can make all of your key points within the constraints of where the interview is likely to go.

It can be tempting to approach your preparation in the reverse order (looking at the questions and then thinking of the story from your arsenal that fits best), but that makes it easy for the interview to fly by before you share one of the key things that make you stand out from the pack. By keeping a mental list of the key points you want to make, you can be proactive rather than reactive.

[b]2. Show your personality![/b]
It can also be easy for the interview to fly by before you make a single mention of anything about yourself besides your work experience. How boring is that? You want the interviewer to see that you are curious, interesting, and would make a fun addition to the class. It’s hard for them to draw that conclusion if the only stories you’ve told are from work.

As you prepare, proactively look for places you can tell stories about yourself that don’t have to do with work. Brainstorm examples from your extracurriculars, hobbies, and personal history that make for impactful answers to the questions you will likely be asked and, as noted above, support the personal brand you portray in your application.

One simple tip is to practice ending your resume ‘walk through’ with a quick mention of your hobbies or interests. Something along the lines of ‘…in addition to my work at X firm, I love to spend time doing Y and Z’.  This has the potential to make for an interesting follow-on discussion with the interviewer or, at the very least, shows that you are a dynamic, multi-faceted individual.

[b]3. Reflect, reflect, reflect[/b]
As you undoubtedly discovered as you crafted your applications, business schools care a lot about the factors that have shaped you as a person as well as the things that motivate and drive you today. This is why Stanford asks its age-old question ‘what matters most to you and why’ and why Kellogg’s second essay question begins ‘values are what guide you in your life and work…’.

The interview is no different. The interviewer doesn’t just want to hear that you went to school X and took your first job at company Y – they want to know why you made each of these decisions. They don’t just want to hear that you plan to go into consulting after you graduate, they want to know what excites you about the work and why. A logical thought process rooted in self-awareness is truly what you want to portray.

On the most basic level, the message I hope you’ve gotten is that preparing for your MBA interviews is more than just writing out answers to every question you might possibly be asked. There is strategy involved! You’ve worked hard to craft a cohesive, compelling thesis throughout your application thus far – make sure that the interview reinforces it and you will set yourself up for success.

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/10/07/three-tips-for-mba-interview-success-2/]Three Tips for MBA Interview Success[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
MBA Interview Prep – How to Plan for the Unexpected [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: MBA Interview Prep – How to Plan for the Unexpected
Preparing for your MBA interviews can seem fairly straightforward at first. All you need to do is bullet out and practice your answers to the standard questions and you should be good to go, right? Hopefully so, but not always.

While interviews with members of the adcom may entail a certain level of consistency between candidates, this is by no means the rule (especially for places like HBS where interviews are highly personalized). It is less likely to be true if you are interviewing with an alumni or current student, as they are generally given latitude to ask what they like so long as they can assess you according to the school’s designated criteria afterwards.  

So, how do you prepare for the dreaded oddball question that you never thought you’d be asked? At the end of the day, you can’t prepare for everything and that’s exactly why the interview is informative to assess your candidacy. Great leaders shine in the real world because they can think on their feet and respond well to an unexpected challenge. Reacting well to an unanticipated interview question is one small way you can demonstrate your potential to be a great leader.

That’s not to say that your MBA interviewer is trying to stump you, as nine times out of ten they aren’t. It might just be that they phrase a question in an unexpected way or ask for an example of a time that you have a perfect story for…if you hadn’t used it for your last answer (argh!).

As I said earlier, you can’t prepare for everything but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do what you can. Absolutely spend the bulk of your time on ‘the biggies’ like your resume walk through, post-MBA goals, etc., but it’s also helpful to scan a list of the less common questions you might be asked and think about how you would answer them. In my experience, even 30 seconds of thought can result in a stronger answer than having to come up with something on the spot.

With that in mind, here is a list of somewhat surprising questions compiled from past clients and publicly available sources like ClearAdmit:

[list]
[*]What are some challenges you would face in your MBA?[/*]
[*]What’s your plan B if you can’t get the role you want after graduation?[/*]
[*]What are the three attributes a good team needs?[/*]
[*]Tell me about a time you showed resilience.[/*]
[*]What does equality and diversity in the workplace mean to you?[/*]
[*]Share your proudest accomplishment, either personal or professional.[/*]
[*]What are the top three factors that led to your success?[/*]
[*]What would you like your legacy to be at [X school]?[/*]
[*]What is trust and how important is trust in our society? [/*]
[*]Please tell me about three failures you have had.[/*]
[*]If you could change one thing about your current company, what would it be?[/*]
[*]Do you read for fun? What was the last book you read?[/*]
[/list]
Clearly this list is far from comprehensive, but it is a start. Another place to focus your preparation is on any school-specific principles, concepts, etc. For instance, Fuqua is known to ask about ‘DQ’ or ‘decency quotient’, Haas may question how you’ve demonstrated its four ‘leadership principles’, and Tuck may ask whether you exhibit the ‘four characteristics’ that form the basis of its admissions criteria. These programs will expect you to be familiar with these concepts if you have done an appropriate amount of research.

At the end of the day, please don’t stress if you get stumped. You’re human and your interviewer knows this – and has likely been in your same shoes! It is totally fine to take a pause to gather your thoughts, even if it means an uncomfortably long silence. Worst case, if you end up blurting out a jumbled answer, you can always address the situation in your thank you note and offer more cohesive thoughts (briefly, of course).

Don’t hesitate to [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]reach out[/url] if you’d like some help with your interview preparation or anything else related to your MBA admissions journey.

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/10/18/mba-interview-prep-how-to-plan-for-the-unexpected/]MBA Interview Prep – How to Plan for the Unexpected[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Are You Behind? Your Round 2 Application Plan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Are You Behind? Your Round 2 Application Plan
If you’re planning to apply to an MBA program (or multiple) in round 2, it’s ‘go time’! Ideally you already have a strong application strategy and personal brand that you’re leveraging to start thinking about how to approach one of the most critical and time-intensive aspects of the applications: the essays. If you’ve done this upfront work and are hitting the ground running right now, bravo! If you’re just starting, below is a suggested timeline for how to best use the next 10-11 weeks before the first deadlines hit.

[b]Your 11-Week MBA Application Plan[/b]

For the weeks below, we listed what we would expect our clients to have completed or accomplished by the end of that week, give or take. Please note that by this point we expect that you have a GMAT score or firm test date already so that you can focus more on the actual application. If not, you can assume that GMAT prep is concurrent to the items below.

A few key notes:  we recommend at least five drafts of your resume (this small document is critical to your application) and at least 10 drafts of your first essay set. For each draft, we recommend getting feedback from a variety of different people – alumni of that school, co-workers, a consultant, and/or friends and family who know how the process works. You won’t know the background of the person reviewing your application, so it’s best to get multiple perspectives.

For context, many of our clients complete 10-20 drafts of each essay set, and normally we have 5-8 rounds of editing on a resume. The number of drafts doesn’t correlate with English skills, time spent or overall intelligence. Iteration makes for a better product, so we view drafting as part of the process of getting to success. Many people think better when they can react to something on paper, so getting pen to paper helps spur the creative process. Below we laid-out what this might look like at a minimum, but of course it varies by person.

For the week of October 25:

[list]
[*]Application weaknesses (low GPA, light extracurriculars, etc.) have been identified and you are actively working to address / mitigate them[/*]
[*]Well-defined personal brand and/or story that has been vetted by at least three other people for being personal, differentiating, interesting, and visionary[/*]
[*]Schools researched and selected; virtual presentations attended or at least signed-up for[/*]
[*]Resume drafts in process and being reviewed by someone other than you and your family (co-workers, friends, former classmates, consultant, etc)[/*]
[*]Recommender packets prepared and meetings scheduled to explain the process and get them energized about your story and goals[/*]
[/list]
November 1:

[list]
[*]Resume finalized[/*]
[*]Drafts for School 1’s essays complete and being reviewed by someone else for feedback on content, readability, and how well they address the key dimensions that the adcoms are looking for[/*]
[*]Conversations scheduled with your MBA alumni friends to learn more detail about their experiences and programs so you have more context for your essays[/*]
[/list]
November 8:

[list]
[*]Second and third drafts completed for School 1’s essays with reviews by friends, family, co-workers and/or a consultant[/*]
[*]First draft of School 2’s essays completed and being reviewed[/*]
[/list]
November 15:

[list]
[*]Continue drafting Schools 1 and 2 (as noted earlier, 10+ versions of essay set number 1 is normal; we generally see fewer iterations for subsequent schools)[/*]
[*]First draft of School 3’s essays completed and being reviewed[/*]
[/list]
November 22:

[list]
[*]Check-in with recommenders to make sure they have a plan of attack[/*]
[*]Second and third drafts of School 3’s essays completed and being reviewed[/*]
[*]Continue drafting Schools 1 and 2[/*]
[/list]
November 29:

[list]
[*]First draft of School 4’s essays completed and being reviewed[/*]
[*]Finalize School 1’s essays[/*]
[/list]
December 6:

[list]
[*]Start the application form for School 1 (completing the embedded mini-questions, determining how to leverage all of the space to maximize the information you share etc.)[/*]
[*]Continue drafting on Schools 2 and 3[/*]
[/list]
December 13:

[list]
[*]Second and third drafts of School 4’s essays completed and being reviewed[/*]
[*]Finalize School 2’s essays[/*]
[*]Continue drafting on School 3[/*]
[/list]
December 20:

[list]
[*]Send your completed School 1 application to someone to review in entirety and provide feedback (optimally someone who knows about the process like an MBA alum, etc.)[/*]
[*]Finalize School 3’s essays[/*]
[*]Continue drafting School 4[/*]
[*]Complete the remaining application forms for Schools 2-4[/*]
[/list]
December 27:

[list]
[*]Finalize School 4’s essays[/*]
[*]Send your completed applications to alums or other reviewers for final checks and integrate feedback accordingly[/*]
[*]Check-in with recommenders[/*]
[/list]
January 3:

[list]
[*]First Week of Deadlines![/*]
[/list]
I know what we’ve laid out seems intense…because it is. But trust us that this process is not the place to cut corners. Your competition isn’t and it takes a lot of work to stand out.

We are still accepting clients for Round 2 and are happy to talk about how we can help. Please request a consultation [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]here[/url].

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/10/26/are-you-behind-your-round-2-application-plan/]Are You Behind? Your Round 2 Application Plan[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Top MBA Program Comparison and How to Use It [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Top MBA Program Comparison and How to Use It
Deciding where to apply? Our newly updated [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/03/15/comparison-of-top-mba-programs/]Comparison of Top MBA Programs[/url] can help! This sortable tool ranks the top business schools on dimensions such as class size, average post-MBA salary, top recruited industries and more. It also includes the key criteria (GPA, GMAT, etc.) to help assess where you are likely to be a competitive applicant.

Being thoughtful about school selection is critical and it goes way beyond the rankings. Not only is the degree expensive, but the application process is too (not to mention time consuming). You want to limit your list to a small number of schools that make the most sense for you while maximizing your chances of admission. Furthermore, “fit” plays a huge role in the admissions process. If you don’t make the effort to research which schools are right for you and why, you’ll have a hard time convincing the adcom that their school is the right place for you.

Using the Tool
If you are just beginning the school selection process, we recommend using our tool as follows:

1. With your GMAT/GRE score and undergraduate GPA in hand, go down the list and find the programs where your stats meet the average. That will give you a good idea of the range of schools where you’re competitive and where you’re a bit of an outlier.

Other factors such as age, work experience, nationality, etc. will then skew your range up or down slightly. You may need to do some additional research to understand how your work experience compares to past admitted students, for example. Similarly, nationality can work for you or against you, depending on how many applicants from your country apply to your schools. If you’re not sure where you stand, this is a great opportunity to get a profile review by a professional through the forums or through the free consultations that most of the admissions consulting firms offer.

Note: That’s not to say that you shouldn’t apply to your dream school even if you fall outside of its range; but in those cases, it always makes sense to hedge your bets with a couple of target and/or “safer” schools. (No top school is “safe”, but there will be programs where your profile is more competitive than their averages.)

2. Narrow down from there. Once you have an idea of where you’re competitive, identify the schools that are the best fit for your profile and objectives. Here are some factors to consider in your research:

[list]
[*]Class size: this one really boils down to personal preference. Programs like HBS and Wharton, for example, have large class sizes (>850 students) while others like Haas and Tuck have more intimate class sizes (<300 students). The size of your class will play a big role in the type of experience you have during your two years on campus. It’s important to understand the pros and cons of each and determine which one is better aligned to your objectives. For example, small programs boast tight-knit, congenial communities while larger programs offer greater breadth and diversity in each class.[/*]
[*]Recruiting statistics: applying to schools that have a history of placing graduates in your dream job(s) simply makes sense. While all the top schools will have diversified employment statistics, you may see some bias towards consulting, tech, etc. That’s not to say that you should write-off a school simply because your target industry isn’t the #1 recruited industry. It’s simply another factor to consider.[/*]
[*]Location: this is one that we encourage you to be flexible with as much as possible. Remember that it’s only for two years and all the top programs have widely influential brands that will in no way limit your career options to a 50-mile radius from campus. On the other hand, if your post-MBA goals are concentrated in a specific geography (i.e. NYC for finance and fashion, Bay Area for tech, etc.) then it does make sense that programs in those areas would rise to the top of your list. If you have a strong affinity for urban vs. rural locations, don’t ignore it entirely – just don’t let geography be the sole deciding factor.[/*]
[/list]
Next Steps
The rest of the process is more art than science. Beyond those shown in our tool, consider factors such as:

[list]
[*]Teaching method: this is a big one, particularly if you’re considering HBS or Darden where the case method dominates most of the curriculum. If you’re not sure what the case method is, we strongly suggest reading up on it because it creates a unique classroom dynamic (relies on class participation – students do 85% of the talking in class, involves cold-calling, requires thorough preparation of the case prior to class, etc.) The other teaching methods you’ll find in the top programs are lectures and experiential learning (think immersion classes, team-based exercises, etc.) Pay attention to this and how it differs between schools because it will have a big impact on how you learn for the next two years.[/*]
[*]Academic strength or research focus: let’s start by clarifying that all of the top MBA programs offer a general management education with a broad selection of electives across all business subject areas (marketing, finance, operations, entrepreneurship, etc.) In other words, you will have access to fantastic professors and cutting-edge academics in any subject no matter which school you attend. Gone are the days of Wharton being only a “finance” school or Kellogg being only a “marketing” school. With that said, certain programs may offer greater resources or specific programming dedicated to your area of focus. For example, Columbia has the Value Investing program, Wharton has the Health Care Management major, NYU Stern has the Luxury Marketing specialization, etc. Depending on which industry or function you’re targeting after business school, it may make sense to apply to programs that have a strong legacy in that field, either from the strength of the curriculum, breadth of electives, caliber of the faculty, prominence of research, or otherwise.[/*]
[*]Culture: this one is a bit trickier to figure out, especially when you’re just starting the research process. It’s hard to really understand how the schools are different from simply browsing their websites. This is where engaging with the school (visiting campus if possible, attending info sessions, etc.) and speaking with alums and current students really pays off. After a couple different discussions, you’ll start to get a sense for how the programs are different from each other. In terms of which culture is right for you, that’s a matter of personal preference. If you have an independent streak, then maybe Booth is right for you. On the other hand, looking for a supportive, team-oriented environment? Kellogg or Tuck may be right up your alley. Lastly, we’ll say that while certain programs may have “reputations” that you’ve heard of, we recommend doing your own independent homework and deciding if you agree or not (they’re often over-stated, over-simplified, or outdated in our experience).[/*]
[/list]
Bottom Line
After a certain amount of research, you’ll get a “gut” sense of the programs that are right for you on multiple levels. Try to keep an open mind while remaining true to yourself and your goals. Best of luck!

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/11/16/top-mba-program-comparison-and-how-to-use-it/]Top MBA Program Comparison and How to Use It[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Should You Sprint for Round 2 or Wait Until Round 1 Next Year? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Should You Sprint for Round 2 or Wait Until Round 1 Next Year?
That’s the question facing many MBA applicants at this time of year. The Round 2 deadlines are quickly approaching in January but waiting until Round 1 next year means delaying matriculation until fall of 2023. So which timing is right for you?

As with all aspects of the MBA application process, it depends. To help you make the right decision, below is a list of questions to ask yourself. If you answer [b]NO[/b] to any of them, it could be worth delaying until Round 1 of next year.

[list]
[*]Have you taken the GMAT / GRE? If so, do you plan to apply with your current score? If you plan to take or retake the test in the upcoming weeks, you will likely need to dedicate additional time to study and prepare. Naturally, this competes with the time you can spend on your essays and other application components.[/*]
[*]Have you begun any other part of the application process? What about researching your target schools, including attending info sessions and connecting with alums or current students? These are critical steps in your MBA journey that may be difficult to rush, particularly with the upcoming holiday season.[/*]
[*]Do you have enough time outside of work to dedicate to the application process over the next two months? On average, [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2019/04/02/how-much-time-does-it-take-to-apply-to-b-school/]we see applicants writing 10-20 drafts of their essays for the top programs[/url]. Our recent ‘double admits’ (people who got into HBS and Stanford) wrote a minimum of 12 drafts of each essay – the max was 27 in case you’re wondering.[/*]
[*]Will your years of work experience exceed your target schools’ averages (4-5 years upon matriculation for [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/03/15/comparison-of-top-mba-programs/]the top programs[/url]) if you wait a year? If not, your profile might be stronger with roughly nine more months of accomplishments under your belt.[/*]
[*]Have you ever been promoted or received a formal increase in responsibility? Evidence of career progression and leadership are top-of-mind for the admissions committee as they evaluate candidates – a promotion is an ideal way to showcase these things (although certainly not the only way).[/*]
[/list]
The decision of when to apply is ultimately a personal one that should consider your individual situation and circumstances. We always advise our clients to apply when they are best prepared to submit their strongest application. If you can get it all done in the next month and a half and believe that now is the best time for you to apply, go for it!

What about [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2020/02/05/should-you-apply-in-round-3/]Round 3[/url]? We typically don’t advise our clients to apply to any of the top 10 programs in Round 3 unless there are extenuating circumstances in play. Chances of admission go way down, as most of the class has been formed at that point.

Have you decided to sprint for the finish line in Round 2 this year? We’re still accepting clients and would be happy to assist. Click [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]here[/url] to schedule a free 30-minute consultation! Decided to wait until next year? We’ll begin consultations with 2022-2023 applicants in late January and would love to connect!

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/11/26/should-you-sprint-for-round-2-or-wait-until-round-1-next-year-3/]Should You Sprint for Round 2 or Wait Until Round 1 Next Year?[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
MBA Essay Advice – Chicago Booth [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: MBA Essay Advice – Chicago Booth
With the Round 2 deadline quickly approaching, you might be sitting down to tackle your [url=https://www.chicagobooth.edu/mba/full-time/admissions/how-to-apply]Booth application[/url] over the holiday break. With an urban location as well as an innovative and flexible curriculum, this MBA program has numerous points of differentiation. If you’re applying to Booth, here is what you need to know.

[b]Application Run Down[/b]

Deadlines

[list]
[*]Round 1 – September 23, 2021[/*]
[*]Round 2 – January 6, 2022[/*]
[*]Round 3 (please don’t wait for Round 3) – April 7, 2022[/*]
[/list]
Essay Prompts

[list]
[*]How will a Booth MBA help you achieve your immediate and long-term post-MBA career goals? (Minimum 250 words, no maximum.)[/*]
[*]An MBA is as much about personal growth as it is about professional development. In addition to sharing your experience and goals in terms of career, we’d like to learn more about you outside of the office. Use this opportunity to tell us something about who you are… (Minimum 250 words, no maximum.)[/*]
[/list]
[b]How To Tackle the Booth MBA Essays[/b]

Our overarching piece of advice for a successful Booth application is to effectively and authentically communicate ‘why Booth’. Booth has a unique culture and seeks students who, while diverse in many ways, share in its defining traits – they are intellectually curious, highly independent, and unafraid of bold ideas. Before you begin drafting your essays, give some serious thought to how you embody these characteristics and let this guide the content of your essays.

[b]Yikes, a MINIMUM Word Limit, How Long Should My Booth Essays Be? [/b]

As we said, Boothies are unafraid of bold ideas, and the word count minimum is characteristically unconventional. So, how long should they be? While there is certainly a range, we find the sweet spot to be 400-500 words. You should be able to get your point across in this amount of space and any longer risks losing the reader (who reads A LOT of applications).

[b]Communicating ‘Why Booth’ Is Done Indirectly as Much as It Is Done Directly [/b]

Your first reaction when you read the prompt for Essay One may have been ‘Got it, I need to talk about all the Booth classes I plan to take and clubs I will join. Easy.’ Not so fast. And the reason why goes back to our initial piece of advice about showing how you fit with Booth’s unique culture. It’s a given that you will cite some specific Booth classes, clubs, etc. that will help you achieve your goals.  This is the ‘direct’ part and it’s important, but we recommend you do more to really demonstrate that you embody the personality of Boothie.

To the extent possible while remaining authentic, when sharing your goals and the ‘why’ behind them, weave in some details that showcase your fearless, independent streak. Maybe your long-term goal is to found a business that fills a need you’ve observed in a certain marketplace – lean into the boldness of your idea as you share these plans.

The advice to indirectly demonstrate you embody Booth’s culture extends to the second essay as well. As you consider the facets of your life outside of work that you will share, focus on those that ‘fit’ with the Booth culture. Take intellectual curiosity, for instance. Maybe this characteristic guided you to a particular extracurricular activity in college and then to a hobby you currently enjoy outside of work. The possibilities are endless, but successful Booth essays begin with a nuanced understanding of what makes the school – and you – unique.

If you need help with your MBA applications, including Booth, click [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]here[/url] to schedule an initial consultation.

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/12/26/mba-essay-advice-chicago-booth/]MBA Essay Advice – Chicago Booth[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Negotiating Business School Scholarships – It Doesn’t Hurt to Ask [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Negotiating Business School Scholarships – It Doesn’t Hurt to Ask
If you were lucky enough to emerge from the Round 1 business school application process with one or more acceptances in hand, congrats! It was competitive year, made even more challenging by a limited ability to visit and network with schools in person.

A subset of you may have even received offers of scholarship money to help offset the very significant cost of attending a full time MBA program. Congratulations!

However, while it is obviously a good problem to have, scholarship offer(s) can make the decision about where to attend business school more complicated than anticipated. Perhaps you were accepted to your top choice program but received a sizeable scholarship offer from a business school you viewed as more of a ‘safety’. Are the incremental benefits of the higher ranked program enough to offset the higher cost to attend?

The decision can be downright anxiety-provoking and it’s an incredibly personal one. However, if you are truly torn and the decision boils down to the cost differential, it doesn’t hurt to ask your dream business school program if they can help.   

[b]Come from a Place of Authenticity[/b]
Given that it doesn’t hurt to ask (you’ve been accepted already, after all), you can bet that schools receive quite a few requests for additional scholarship money. If you’re lucky enough to have been accepted to multiple programs, the goal is not to throw requests at the wall to see what sticks, so to speak.

Your approach should be targeted and specific. If you can’t honestly say (not that you will be this explicit in your request, but as a thought exercise) that if School A offered you $X you would attend, think long and hard about whether it makes sense to ask. Schools can usually see through requests that aren’t sincere, making them a waste of your time as well as theirs.

[b]Adhere to Their Process[/b]
That said, schools are generally willing to entertain scholarship requests, particularly if you have a compelling alternative from a school they view as a peer / competitor for talent.

As a starting point, do some research or call admissions to determine how and where they would like you to send your request. Some business schools have an online form they ask people to submit. Other schools will have you send an email to a specific inbox. Some may even ask for a copy of your competing scholarship award letter – it is safe to assume they will do this eventually.

[b]How [/b][b]You Ask Matters[/b]
Once you know the process, it’s time to frame up your request. It should be concise but also gracious and honest.

In addition to reiterating that you are thankful for the opportunity to attend, a best practice is to restate succinctly why the program in question is best suited to help you achieve your goals. Be sure to do this in a way that is unique to both you and the program at hand – if your ‘why business school X’ argument could apply to any other program or any of your peers, it is not specific enough to be impactful.

Next comes your ‘ask’. Brief context is helpful so that they know your request is sincere. If you have a competing offer, mention it here. Or, if your financial circumstances have changed since you submitted your application, making it more difficult to afford tuition, be upfront about it. The rationale for your request, beyond just wanting to lower the cost of your MBA, goes a long way.

After you share your rationale, politely ask if they can reconsider you for scholarship opportunities. While you may have a ‘number’ in your head that would sway your decision, it’s best to keep your request open ended so as not to sound demanding. Close by thanking them for their time and, once again, for the offer of admission.

Keep in mind that it’s likely they will not be able to offer you additional funding. However, at least you know you’ve laid all of your cards on the table to make the best decision for your personal circumstances. Congrats again on your acceptances and enjoy the MBA journey!

Other articles that may be of interest:
[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/05/10/what-matters-in-choosing-an-mba-program-2/]What Matters in Choosing an MBA Program[/url]

[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/11/16/top-mba-program-comparison-and-how-to-use-it/]Top MBA Program Comparison and How to Use It[/url]

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/01/05/negotiating-business-school-scholarships-it-doesnt-hurt-to-ask/]Negotiating Business School Scholarships – It Doesn’t Hurt to Ask[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Thanking Your Business School Recommenders [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Thanking Your Business School Recommenders
If you’re like many of our clients applying to business school in Round 2, you may have put the finishing touches on one of your last applications this week. Congrats! We can still recall the sense of relief from our time in your shoes. While we know it can feel like mental overload to add another task to your plate, there is one final thing it’s important not to let slide – thanking your business school recommenders.

As we’re sure you can imagine, it takes a lot of time and effort to prepare and submit this critical application component. While your business school recommenders were likely happy to do this for you, it is still work (on top of everything else on their plate, which you totally get having balanced work and applications over the last several months, right?).

[b]Start with a Thoughtful Note[/b]
As such, showing your gratitude for their efforts is more than appropriate. So, what is a suitable way to do this? It’s likely your business school recommenders are at least slightly older than you and perhaps don’t share your interests or lifestyle. That’s intimidating, we get it!

However, at the root of it, the goal is truly just to acknowledge the effort they took out of their busy schedules to help you. It’s not about lavish items or large dollar amounts. Therefore, the first place to start is always a handwritten, sincerely worded thank you note. Whatever you select to go along with your note is just icing on the cake.

[b]A Few Gift Ideas[/b]
That said, here are some ideas to get you started.

[list]
[*]A nice bottle of wine, such as a red in the $30-40 range, is a generally a crowd pleaser. A site like [url=https://www.wine.com/]wine.com[/url] can help you navigate the options.[/*]
[*]Some low maintenance greenery, like a succulent from [url=https://www.lulasgarden.com/]Lula’s Garden[/url], is a nice way to brighten your business school recommender’s office in the middle of another pandemic winter.[/*]
[*]The MOST delicious pears from [url=https://www.harryanddavid.com/]Harry and David[/url] are always a treat. Seriously, they are amazing and worth every penny.[/*]
[*]If your recommender is a cocktail connoisseur, a cocktail kit from [url=https://www.cocktailcourier.com/]Cocktail Courier[/url] can give them something special to look forward to after work.[/*]
[*]Particularly if you know there is a certain cause near and dear to your recommender’s heart, a contribution to a related charity is a great way to go.[/*]
[/list]
At the end of the day, hopefully you know your business school recommenders fairly well – well enough to be familiar with their interests. Thoughtfulness and personalization are key to a thank you gift that sufficiently expresses your appreciation.

We wish you all the best as you await responses from your schools!                     

Here are some articles to peruse while you wait!

[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2020/09/27/the-sound-of-silence-you-hit-submit-now-what/]The Sound of Silence…You Hit Submit, Now What?[/url]     

[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/01/31/prepare-for-these-three-questions-before-your-mba-interview/]Prepare for These Three Questions Before Your MBA Interview[/url]                                                                                                                           

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/01/17/thanking-your-business-school-recommenders/]Thanking Your Business School Recommenders[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Deferred Enrollment MBA Program Round Up [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Deferred Enrollment MBA Program Round Up
If you are currently in your senior year of college or enrolled in a graduate program that you began right after graduation, this article is for you. While it might be tempting to coast through to the summer, we urge you to consider whether you should apply to deferred enrollment MBA programs.

What Are Deferred Enrollment MBA Programs?
What are these exactly? Generally, they entail a full-time two-year MBA program that you apply for as a college senior (or graduate student) and attend after having worked for 2-5 years. During the deferral period, many offer access to their career services office and/or student programming like industry conferences or networking with peers.

As a current student, you are still in ‘study mode’ and likely have more time on your hands than you will while working full time in a demanding job. As such, now can be the perfect time to devote to taking the GRE/GMAT and preparing your applications (most of the deadlines are in April).

That said, admission into deferred enrollment MBA programs is competitive and the class sizes are small. It makes sense to [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2020/10/19/hbs-22-and-other-deferred-mba-programs-should-you-apply/]understand what admissions officers are looking for[/url] before you decide to devote time and effort to the application process.

The Top Deferred Enrollment MBA Programs
What follows is a list of the top deferred enrollment MBA programs and some basic facts about their class profiles, application requirements, and other nuances to consider.

[list]
[*][b][url=https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/application-process/college-students-2-2/Pages/default.aspx]HBS 2+2 Deferred Enrollment MBA Program[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/28/22[/*]
[*]Post-College Work Experience Before Matriculation: 2-5 years[/*]
[*]Number of Admits in Most Recent Class: 115 (9% acceptance rate)[/*]
[*]GMAT: 730 (median)[/*]
[*]Undergraduate GPA: 3.79 (median)[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/mba/admission/deferred-enrollment]Stanford Deferred Enrollment MBA Program[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/12/22 (may also apply in Round 1 and Round 2 along with candidates for the traditional MBA program)[/*]
[*]Post-College Work Experience Before Matriculation: 1-3 years encouraged[/*]
[*]Number of Committed Admits in Most Recent Class: Not Available[/*]
[*]GMAT: Not Available[/*]
[*]Undergraduate GPA: Not Available[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/deferred-admissions/moelis-advance-access-program/#1568227941148-b146b55f-3a31]Wharton Deferred Admission Moelis Advance Access MBA[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/27/22[/*]
[*]Post-College Work Experience Before Matriculation: 2-4 years[/*]
[*]Number of Committed Admits in Most Recent Class: 173[/*]
[*]GMAT: 741 (average)[/*]
[*]Undergraduate GPA: 3.79 (average)[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://mitsloan.mit.edu/programs/mba-early/overview]MIT Sloan Early Admission MBA[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/20/22[/*]
[*]Number of Committed Admits in Most Recent Class: 181[/*]
[*]GMAT: 740 (median)[/*]
[*]Undergraduate GPA: 3.78 (median)[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://www.chicagobooth.edu/mba/early-career-programs/chicago-booth-scholars]Chicago Booth Scholars Deferred Enrollment MBA[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/7/22[/*]
[*]GMAT: 640-780 (range)[/*]
[*]Undergraduate GPA: 3.28-4.00 (range)[/*]
[*]Program Nuance: Deferred MBAs can enroll in any of Booth’s programs, including the Evening or Weekend MBA programs[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/programs/full-time-mba/kfl-deferred-enrollment-program.aspx]Kellogg Future Leaders Deferred Enrollment MBA[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/13/22[/*]
[*]Program Nuance: Deferred MBAs can enroll in any of Kellogg’s programs, including the Part-Time MBA program[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/apply/future-year]Darden Future Year Scholars Deferred Enrollment MBA[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/12/22 or 8/2/22[/*]
[*]Program Nuance: Candidates may also apply using their SAT or ACT score[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://som.yale.edu/programs/mba/admissions/silver-scholars]Yale Silver Scholars MBA Program[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: Same as Traditional MBA Program Deadlines, with Round 3 occurring on 4/12/22[/*]
[*]Post-College Work Experience Before Matriculation: None – students matriculate as Silver Scholars directly after college or another master’s program[/*]
[*]Program Nuance: Silver Scholars is a three-year program – students complete Yale SOM’s Core Curriculum in their first year, complete an extended internship in their second year, and take Yale SOM electives in their third year.[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://academics.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admissions/options-deadlines/deferred-enrollment-program]Columbia Business School Deferred Enrollment MBA Program[/url] [/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/15/22[/*]
[*]Number of Committed Admits in Most Recent Class: 216[/*]
[*]GMAT: 540-790 (range)[/*]
[*]Undergraduate GPA: 3.11-4.00 (range)[/*]
[/list]

[*][b][url=https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/accelerated-access]Haas Accelerated Access[/url][/b][/*]
[/list]
[list]
[*]Deadline: 4/28/22[/*]
[/list]
If you are considering applying to a deferred enrollment MBA program, [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]reach out[/url] to schedule a free 30-minute consultation. Working with applicants like you is one of our specialties. We can help you navigate the various deferred enrollment MBA program options, assess your competitiveness for admission, and guide you through the nuances of the application process.  

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/01/20/deferred-enrollment-mba-program-round-up/]Deferred Enrollment MBA Program Round Up[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
HBS 2+2: Why It Matters and How to Get In [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: HBS 2+2: Why It Matters and How to Get In
HBS 2+2 is the ‘OG’ of deferred enrollment (or deferred admissions) MBA programs. It was the first to launch in 2007 and has rightfully earned a reputation as a spectacular opportunity for superstar college seniors (and those who entered a master’s program right out of undergrad).

What Is HBS 2+2?
On a basic level, HBS 2+2 (and other deferred enrollment MBA programs) allows college seniors to secure a spot in the traditional full time MBA class that will arrive on campus two to four years in the future. During their ‘deferral period’, HBS 2+2 admits gain professional experience that they can draw upon in the business school classroom.

Applicants to HBS 2+2 essentially complete the same application as applicants to HBS’ standard program. A GRE / GMAT test score is required, as are an essay, letters of recommendation, and an invitation-based interview. There is only one application deadline (as opposed to the traditional MBA application cycle where there are two ‘rounds’) and this year’s is April 28, 2022.

The Unwritten Benefits of HBS 2+2
If you scratch beneath the surface, however, the opportunity presented by the HBS 2+2 program is much greater than it appears ̶ for several reasons.

The first reason is that it is essentially an insurance policy on your early career. As an early career professional with an eye on the traditional MBA application process, it is easy to get wrapped up in how each choice you make will affect your chances of admission. You may feel compelled to pursue a grueling job in investment banking or management consulting instead of taking a risk on an interesting role at a startup. Knowing that you have HBS in your future regardless of the path you choose over the next two years allows you to truly follow your passion, even if it’s not a standard pre-MBA role.

Second, acceptance into HBS 2+2 (or any other top deferred enrollment MBA program) can be a big asset for a young professional, particularly for someone who is targeting a ‘riskier’ path like entrepreneurship. If HBS views you as a future business leader, it will undoubtedly be easier to sell yourself as one to potential employers, investors, etc.

Third, for those who are certain an MBA is in their plans, HBS 2+2 presents an opportunity to fast track the process. We regularly work with clients who have two really solid years of work experience under their belt and feel ready to go to business school.  While these candidates generally have awesome accomplishments and leadership potential, it can be hard to stand out from the competition simply because they have been working for fewer years than the average applicant. Applying to deferred enrollment programs levels the playing field as all candidates are still in school.

Great, Where Do I Sign?
Applying to HBS 2+2 seems like a no brainer, right? Well, yes, there’s no debating that it’s a fantastic opportunity.  That said, admission is extremely competitive, as you can imagine (even more competitive than the standard HBS program). Even if you fit the profile of the average HBS 2+2 admit (730 GMAT, 3.79 GPA), really devoting yourself to the application process is critical.

It can be tempting to view a deferred MBA application as your first attempt, knowing that you can enter the workforce and apply again in a few years on the traditional timeline.  Don’t fall into this trap. It takes time, effort, and serious self-reflection to craft a thoughtful essay that highlights the qualities HBS seeks in applicants, especially when you have fewer years of ‘life’ to draw upon.

Whether or not you choose to engage an MBA admissions consultant, create a plan, and stick to it. Do your homework about how to put your best foot forward, learn all you can from those who have been successful in the past, and get an early start. These things can make or break your chances and, as we’ve shared, the opportunity presented by HBS 2+2 is one not to be missed.

You may also be interested in:

Deferred Enrollment MBA Program Round Up – Vantage Point MBA

Deferred MBA Programs – Are They Right for You? – Vantage Point MBA

Free MBA Consultation | Vantage Point MBA

The post HBS 2+2: Why It Matters and How to Get In appeared first on Vantage Point MBA.
Send PM
HBS 2+2 and Other Deferred MBA Programs – Should You Apply? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: HBS 2+2 and Other Deferred MBA Programs – Should You Apply?
In recent years, we’ve seen significant growth in deferred MBA programs at the top business schools. A trend that started primarily with the [url=https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/application-process/college-students-2-2/Pages/default.aspx]HBS 2+2 program[/url] and [url=https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/mba/admission/deferred-enrollment]Stanford Deferred Enrollment[/url] has now come to Wharton, Chicago Booth, Columbia, MIT Sloan, Kellogg, Darden, and Yale. The[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/01/20/deferred-enrollment-mba-program-round-up/] list of deferred admission[/url] (or enrollment) MBA programs continues to grow every year.

As a college senior, are you wondering, “If I take this job over another, will my chances of getting into a top business school be higher or lower?” or “Will this job give me enough experience to be appealing to the top MBA programs?”

As we’ve all learned over the past few years, life (and your career) can take many paths – some of which you can’t even conceive of right now. Maybe the start-up you join after graduation will IPO next year and your career will take off. Or maybe your Peace Corps assignment will show you a new set of global problems that you will want to solve as a future business or non-profit leader.

Conversely, perhaps your first job will help you see that banking or marketing wasn’t for you after all. Regardless, if you want the freedom to take a job without wondering what it means for your future grad school prospects AND be able to take more risks and explore, then a deferred MBA program may be the right move for you.

[b]Should You Apply to Deferred MBA Programs? Initial Questions to Ask[/b]
Here’s what to ask yourself:

[list]
[*]Are you a college senior or in a master’s program that you began right after undergrad (law and medical school may or may not count, depending on the MBA program)?[/*]
[*]Are you reasonably confident that you’ll want to go to business school in the next 2-5 years?[/*]
[/list]
If the answers to these two questions are “yes”, then there isn’t much of a downside of applying if your overall profile is in the running (scores, GPA, etc.). Further, there is a lot of upside if you’re among the few admitted each year.

[b]What GMAT and GPA Do I Need for Top Deferred MBA Programs?[/b]
[list]
[*]GMAT: For most programs, you need to have a GMAT or GRE score to apply. 720+ is going to be the score you want to shoot for. Last year’s HBS 2+2 median GMAT was 730, as a reference. [/*]
[*]GPA: Strong undergrad performance is key. As a benchmark, last year’s HBS 2+2 average GPA was an exceptional 3.79![/*]
[/list]
Without competitive data points, you’ll have a tough time hitting the bar for the deferred MBA programs, but the good news is that you have plenty of time to take more coursework and prove yourself before the ‘traditional’ application cycle in a few years.

[b]What Else Goes into Applying to Deferred MBA Programs?[/b]
[list]
[*]Essays: To write strong essays, you’ll need to do a lot of self-reflection and seek advice from mentors. You’ll need to have a vision as well as a sense for your strengths and weaknesses at this stage of your career.[/*]
[*]Recommendations: To secure powerful recommendations, you’ll need to have built strong relationships with individuals who can opine on your potential as a future business leader. These can include professors, an internship manager, or campus leadership advisor.  [/*]
[/list]
Some schools favor certain applicant qualities or focus areas. For instance, HBS 2+2 admits are roughly 60% STEM majors and admissions has stated a preference for those: 1) planning to work in an operating company (tech, manufacturing, consumer goods, retail, industrials, etc.), 2) from a lower socio-economic background, 3) going into a technically demanding role, or 4) pursuing entrepreneurship.

[b]So, What’s the Catch? Hint: There Might Not Be One [/b]
Deferred MBA programs are incredibly competitive. If your scores and stats are in range, then we encourage people to apply if it feels like the right program for them. Many people wonder if an unsuccessful application to a deferred MBA program will hurt their future chances and the answer is definitely no! In fact, reapplying in the future may signal your strong interest in a particular program.

Vantage Point MBA Consultant and former Director of Admission at the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business Gretchen Athas says, “When the admissions committees see someone who is back ‘at bat’ and with an even stronger profile, it’s viewed very favorably. It demonstrates commitment when we can see that someone took an unsuccessful result and turned that into personal and professional growth so they could apply again down the road.”

If you’d like to discuss whether applying to deferred MBA programs might be right for you, contact us [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]here[/url] for a free 30-minute consultation.

You may also be interested in:
[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/01/20/deferred-enrollment-mba-program-round-up/]Deferred Enrollment MBA Program Round Up – Vantage Point MBA[/url]

[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/01/26/hbs-22-why-it-matters-and-how-to-get-in/]HBS 2+2: Why It Matters and How to Get In – Vantage Point MBA[/url]

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/01/31/hbs-22-and-other-deferred-mba-programs-should-you-apply-2/]HBS 2+2 and Other Deferred MBA Programs – Should You Apply?[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
GMAT and GRE Myths Debunked [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: GMAT and GRE Myths Debunked
As an MBA admissions consultant, I find that clients and prospective clients, especially those early in their MBA journeys, are often fraught with anxiety and indecision about standardized testing – namely the GMAT and GRE exams. Should they take the GMAT or GRE? When should they prepare and sit for the exam? What GMAT or GRE score is ‘good enough’?

These are the right questions to ask but, as with nearly everything in the MBA application process, the answers aren’t cut and dry. To clarify things as much as possible, below are three commonly held beliefs about the GMAT and GRE exams that aren’t as straightforward as they seem.

[b]Myth #1: I come from a non-quant background, so I should take the GRE as opposed to the GMAT.[/b]
According to GMAT/GRE experts in our network, the GMAT is a more rigorous exam, plain and simple, especially from a quantitative standpoint. So, some may reason that if they have never viewed themselves as a ‘quant person’, they will fare better on the GRE. Unfortunately, the logic isn’t that straightforward.

Particularly for those with non-quant work experience, a liberal arts undergrad, or a low GPA, the biggest question in the adcom’s mind might be whether you can ‘hack it’ in an MBA-level curriculum. What better way to prove that you can and differentiate yourself in the process than by attaining a competitive GMAT score? Further, if you can attain a solid GMAT quant score and have strong verbal capabilities, leaning into the latter strength and excelling on the verbal portion of the test will actually be a better ‘bang for your buck’, as each incremental point on your verbal score translates to a larger jump in percentile and overall score.

All of that said, obtaining the strongest score possible should be your ultimate goal when deciding whether to take the GMAT or GRE. Someone with a liberal arts background is much better off submitting a solid GRE score than a below average GMAT. In a nutshell, be strategic about your choice of test based on your specific circumstances and don’t jump to a conclusion based on your perception of what ‘type of person’ takes each one.

[b]Myth #2: I can wait to take the GMAT or GRE until the summer before I want to apply to business school.[/b]
Sure, you can, but should you? I would argue not. Schools typically release their applications (i.e., essay questions) in the summer. Ideally, you want to have the GMAT out of the way at this point as there is A LOT to do once you get into the thick of things. Here is a little more detail on our [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2019/04/02/how-much-time-does-it-take-to-apply-to-b-school/]recommended application timeline[/url].

GMAT/GRE experts recommend beginning your test prep 10-12 weeks before you plan to take your first test. And, while this may not be pleasant to hear, you should leave time for two or three attempts (each spaced a minimum of 16 calendar days apart, as required). Working backwards, this indicates that you should begin studying for the GMAT or GRE at the beginning of May, at the latest.

Honestly, it’s almost never too early to get your testing out of the way. GMAT and GRE scores are good for five years and many of our clients achieved their best results while still in college or shortly after graduating since they were still in ‘study mode’.

If you didn’t have this much foresight (I know I didn’t!) and particularly if you work long hours, it is essential to start early as well as to work with intensity, momentum, and efficiency. Investing in a top GMAT or GRE prep course or even private tutoring can help immensely; we would be happy to share the resources that have been most helpful to our clients.

[b]Myth #3: I scored a 730 on the GMAT (hooray!), so I am ‘done’.[/b]
While 730 is an awesome score (top 4% to be exact) and is right around average for the top programs, the decision on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/06/24/should-you-retake-the-gmat-gre-answer-these-five-questions-to-find-out/]when to set your test prep materials aside[/url] is a little more nuanced. As you may have guessed, if your undergrad GPA is lower than your target schools’ averages and/or you come from an overrepresented applicant pool (bankers and consultants, I’m looking at you), you should think long and hard about whether you have more to give in the test department.

How do you know whether you are short-changing yourself? First, consider how many times you’ve taken the test. If you’re on your third or fourth attempt and your previous scores did not demonstrate measurable improvement, it might be time to move on. Before you do, think about whether you really gave it your all. Did you create a study plan and follow it religiously? Also, look at your official GMAT / GRE practice tests, particularly your third through sixth ones. If your scores were materially higher than your results on test day, perhaps something fluky happened (nerves got the best of you, etc.) and another attempt would be worthwhile.

At the end of the day, of course schools care about more than just your GMAT or GRE score. Even the strongest test score won’t guarantee you admittance into your dream program. However, as you’re well aware, the MBA application process is a major undertaking if done right and you want to make sure you give each component your all. So, start your test prep early, strategically plan your approach, and follow your plan. Once you do those things and hopefully attain a GMAT or GRE score you are proud of, move on to crafting a stellar application!

If you would like assistance, sign up for a [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/free-consultation/]Free Consultation[/url] with an experienced admissions expert who can provide a helpful evaluation of your profile. We look forward to hearing from you!

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/02/02/gmat-and-gre-myths-debunked/]GMAT and GRE Myths Debunked[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
Send PM
Wharton Team Based Discussion: How to Stand Out [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Wharton Team Based Discussion: How to Stand Out
You were invited to interview with Wharton, congrats! You’re one step closer to getting accepted. You might wonder what the odds of acceptance are for those who participate in the Wharton Team Based Discussion. Well, Wharton interviews roughly half of all applicants, but only accepts one in five. So, they’re looking to cut the remaining pool by slightly more than half at this juncture.

What Does the Wharton Team Based Discussion Entail?
You have probably read about Wharton’s unique interview format – the Team Based Discussion.  For 35 minutes, two interviewers will observe you and 4-5 other applicants as you discuss a case study that has been provided to you in advance (see below). Each interviewee gives a one-minute ‘pitch’, the group discusses the best path forward, and then presents its solution to the interviewers/observers (typically two second-year students). After the Team Based Discussion, you will have a fairly straightforward one-on-one interview, roughly 10 minutes in length, with one of the two observers. You’ll be asked standard questions such as “why Wharton?” and “why MBA?”.

What is the Wharton Team Based Discussion Prompt?
The Wharton Team Based Discussion prompt for Round 2 is as follows:

“Wharton recently announced the official launch of Wharton Interactive, a venture dedicated to transforming teaching through interactive games and simulations. Wharton Interactive has a unique team of interactive fiction writers, pedagogy experts, game designers, and programmers. This venture is the first major effort by any university to create a scalable and fully automated platform built on simulations, interactivity, and games with a foundation in the latest pedagogical research.

The current offerings through Wharton Interactive are called Alternate Reality Courses (ARCs). ARCs combine aspects of simulations and games with class-based instruction, and create engaging learning experiences based on interactive stories while providing personalized guidance as learners progress. In an ARC, learners make decisions just as they would in real life, through simulated emails, Zoom calls, data analysis, presentations, and more. The ARC reacts to their choices, allowing learners to practice and build skills in a place where failure isn’t critical — so that they can transfer successes from the course to the real world.

For the purpose of this discussion, you and a few of your classmates have been invited by Wharton Interactive to be part of a team tasked with creating the next ARC course to be introduced into the MBA curriculum. As a team, decide on the following: (1) The name of your course and the Wharton department in which it belongs, (2) An overview of the business problem and/or scenario of the ARC game, (3) Two learning objectives (knowledge you will gain in the ARC) (4) Two practice objectives (specific experiences you will encounter in the ARC, so that when you see them in the real world, you will know what to do).”

How Do I Prepare for the Wharton Team Based Discussion?
Aside from drafting and practicing your one-minute pitch, preparing for this interview is tough, as you won’t know the group dynamics in advance and will have to adapt as the dialogue progresses. Our clients have shared a range of experiences, from ones that are very collaborative to others that are more competitive and combative.

Begin by thinking about what the admissions committee is looking to assess: (1) are your ideas logical, (2) can you communicate them articulately, and (3) do you ‘play well with others’ and move the discussion to a better place than it would have been if you were not part of the group.

Three Tips to Help You Stand Out in the Wharton Team Based Discussion
With those objectives in mind, consider the following:

Practice, practice, practice.
Your opening ‘pitch’ is the one element of the Team Based Discussion that you control. Really think through the ideas you’d like to present and practice verbalizing them. Focus on the “why” behind your ideas vs. getting hung up on too many specifics. One minute is short. Don’t get cut off simply because you didn’t run through your pitch in advance. Practice it, then practice it again – out loud.

Think ahead.
Think back to meetings or team settings that have been particularly successful, why were they this way and how can you replicate the dynamic? If there is a leader in your workplace that always seems to drive the group to a solution, how does he/she do this? On the contrary, what counter-productive behaviors have you witnessed in these settings? Don’t exhibit them!

In addition, take note of how you would like to act and react in various scenarios during the group discussion. What should you do if the group gets too far off topic? Would you like to be the one to bring everyone back to the task at hand? Or how will you react if one participant is taking over the discussion? Remember, the goal is for the group to arrive at a solid (note that I did not say perfect) solution and look good doing it.

Be open and adaptable.
Unfortunately, you don’t have control over how the discussion plays out. You can demonstrate teamwork and collaboration in a number of ways: draw ideas out of someone who has been quiet, ask thought-provoking questions about a proposed solution, synthesize multiple viewpoints to help the group reach a conclusion. These are tools in your toolbox and the key to success is using them at the right time (and doing so tactfully). This is far more important than having the group choose your idea / pitch.

Lastly, as you’re going through the discussion, jot down an observation or two about how the group worked together. Candidates are often asked how they thought it went in the one-on-one portion. You want to share something more insightful than ‘I thought it went well’ and this can be tough to do on the spot. Prepare, be yourself, and relax!

Still Anxious? Take Advantage of our Mock Wharton TBD Service!
We completely understand the challenges inherent in individually preparing for a team-based exercise, so we are once again offering Mock Wharton TBD service. The one-hour group video call will gather 4-6 clients who will be interviewing at Wharton to participate in a mock group interview with a format similar to the actual interview. Sarah Chandler, a Wharton alum and Vantage Point MBA Senior Consultant, will facilitate the session and then provide individualized written feedback within 48 hours.

This service is competitively priced at $399. Interested? Simply complete our Initial Consultation Request Form, answering ‘Mock Wharton TBD’ to the question ‘What Vantage Point services are you most interested in?’. Our team will be in touch shortly with next steps.

The post Wharton Team Based Discussion: How to Stand Out appeared first on Vantage Point MBA.
Send PM
Top MBA Programs That Don’t Require the GMAT – Which Are They and Does [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Vantage Point MBA Admissions Blog: Top MBA Programs That Don’t Require the GMAT – Which Are They and Does It Matter?
As [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/08/29/best-mba-admissions-consultants/]MBA admissions consultants[/url], a question we often receive is which top MBA programs don’t require the GMAT or GRE and whether taking one of these tests is really necessary to gain admission. We get it! Taking the time to prepare for and take the GMAT or GRE (often multiple times) is a lot of work. It would be great if you could prove your academic prowess another way. So, can you?

Yes, there are top MBA programs that don’t require the GMAT. When the pandemic hit, many business schools made taking the GMAT / GRE optional. Testing centers were closed, and an online version of the test was still under development, making this a very reasonable accommodation. Unfortunately, it also [url=https://poetsandquants.com/2020/09/09/does-this-online-gmat-loophole-lead-to-cheating-some-say-yes/?pq-category=gre-gmat]opened the door to cheating[/url] and other unfortunate challenges.

Top MBA programs have gradually eased off granting these access-related waivers, as it’s hard to argue that the issues still exist at the same magnitude. However, many do still offer them for legitimate situations where the pandemic has severely impacted an applicant’s ability to sit for a test.

[b]Is Test Optional the ‘New Normal’?[/b]
Flexibility does seem to be here to stay. As with many facets of our post-COVID world, some schools’ policies do seem to have changed in a more permanent way. A number of top MBA programs allow applicants to use an MCAT or LSAT score instead of the GMAT / GRE. The Executive Assessment or EA (essentially a shortened GMAT) is also gaining acceptance.

Further, a small number of top full-time MBA programs allow applicants to request a test waiver for reasons unrelated to the pandemic. [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/apply/guidelines]UVA Darden[/url], for instance, says that ‘waiver applications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and our Admissions Committee will consider a number of factors when evaluating these applications. Particular regard will be given for indicators of academic and professional accomplishment.’ [url=https://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/programs/mba/full-time-mba/admissions/requirements-deadlines/#GMAT_waiver]Duke Fuqua[/url] says that ‘while scores from standardized tests such as the GMAT or GRE are a beneficial way for our Admissions Committee to evaluate the likelihood of academic success in our Full-Time MBA program, we recognize that some candidates can build a strong case for admission [without one]’.

[b]Even If a GMAT / GRE Waiver Is Fair Game, Is It Smart to Request One?[/b]
Ok, so say you are applying to one or more of the top MBA programs that don’t require the GMAT. Does it make strategic sense to request a waiver? To be blunt, in the vast majority of cases, we advise against it.

In all honesty, these top MBA programs are only apt to seriously consider your request if your other credentials (GPA, early career, etc.) massively impress them. If you are that competitive of an applicant, why limit yourself to the small number of programs that allow for a waiver? You might end up with more or better options (even scholarship dollars) if you cast a wider net by applying to a greater number of schools with a test score.

On the flip side, there is real risk that you appear uncompetitive (even if you aren’t!) by requesting a GMAT waiver. The admissions committee is apt to think (even if unfairly) that you were either uncommitted to the MBA process or unable to score well, both of which don’t look good, right?  

[b]What If I Can’t Score Well on the GMAT or GRE?[/b]
That said, there are some incredibly intelligent, accomplished candidates who are simply poor test takers and worry that submitting their scores will make them uncompetitive. That’s a fair concern and we sympathize with the frustration. However, we would still argue that putting in a few solid attempts and submitting those scores is better positioning. You can use the optional essay to share that, while your scores may be below average, you have a multitude of other data points (list them) to prove that you can succeed in a rigorous MBA environment. Yes, you’ve validated their concern that you can’t score well (they would have assumed this anyway!) but you’ve assuaged the concern that you aren’t committed to the MBA process.  See the logic?

If you are planning to apply to business school next year (or even the year after that, to be honest), now is a great time to begin preparing for the GMAT or GRE in earnest. In this vein, here are a few other articles that might be of interest:

[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/02/02/gmat-and-gre-myths-debunked/]GMAT and GRE Myths Debunked – Vantage Point MBA[/url]

[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/06/24/should-you-retake-the-gmat-gre-answer-these-five-questions-to-find-out/]Should You Retake the GMAT/GRE? Answer These Five Questions to Find Out – Vantage Point MBA[/url]

[url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2021/05/24/how-much-time-does-it-take-to-apply-to-b-school-2/]How Much Time Does It Take to Apply to B-School? – Vantage Point MBA[/url]

The post [url=https://vantagepointmba.com/2022/02/18/mba-admission-without-gmat/]Top MBA Programs That Don’t Require the GMAT – Which Are They and Does It Matter?[/url] appeared first on [url=https://vantagepointmba.com]Vantage Point MBA[/url].
GMAT Club Bot
Top MBA Programs That Don’t Require the GMAT – Which Are They and Does [#permalink]
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  15