It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:19

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 01:20
Hi Guys,
Just wanted to know your thoughts on option D.The reason we're eliminating it is it talks about current trends,which might not be a valid indicator for a future event as indicated in the argument 'getting a teaching job in Vargonia's government-funded schools will not be made more difficult by a recession.' ? If the option talked about such a thing for a future event, then I think this would make an attractive answer. Please let me know if I'm right thinking that way.Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.Thanks a ton!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 268

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: -13 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 23:53
B

If the number of qualified applicants increase then competition increases which can decrease your chances of getting the teacher job ;
If the number of qualified applicants does not increase then your chances remain good as per the argument.

KUDOS pls if you like My Post

Kudos [?]: -13 [0], given: 57

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 20:52
anon1 wrote:
Okay, so I understand that B is the most correct answer, but my first answer (got it wrong because it is the last question on the test and i was rushed and panicking) was A.

And here is why, the conclusion states that although most employment opportunities contract in economic recessions, getting a teaching job in Vargonia's government-funded schools will not be made more difficult by a recession.

Which of the following would be most important to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

A says whether in Vargonia there are any schools not funded by the government that offer children an education free of charge.

I believe this also would be useful in examining (although not the best). The conclusion specifically states that getting a job at a government funded job will not be anymore difficult because of the teacher/student limit.

If there were private schools that offered an education free of charge, all the parents would simply enroll their students there instead... (In America, it is generally accepted that private schools are better than public schools, so i would expect us to have to assume this to be true in this case as well, since the GMAT is an American test)

Causing the enrollment at the Vargonia government-funded schools to drop... which would then make that Student to Teacher ratio cap void, and therefore just as difficult to get a job at a Vargonia gov-funded school.

Why is my logic wrong here?

Your logic is not wrong. People who ignore this option stating out-of-scope are not right. This option is ion scope because this suggests that the ratio of S/T will not increase if there are other schools that provide free education. BUT where as this option keeps one one guessing about the outcome, option B gives straight conclusion based on applications for employment. In absence of option B, option A was a right and valid option.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 594 [0], given: 1474

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2016, 03:41
lol throughout this post I see people choosing right answer B for 2 different and actually contrary reasons. The conclusion is: "to get a teaching job during a crisis will be easy".

Some say getting a job can be difficult because of the highly incerased competition and an increased pool of applicants. Others posit (Magoosh e.g.) that actually the school will not be able to find enough good candidates to fill the available positions during crisis.

Personally I incline to consider Magosh's line of reasoning more valid. Say the newly required S/T ratio is 100 to 10. Say Vargonia is undergoing the crisis and the number of students has risen to 200. Hence we need to find additional 10 teachers to sustain the ration: 200:20. The school understandably assumes that given the overall slacking labour market they will easily fill the 10 teacher vacancies. But will they? It might perfectly be the case Vargonia is so small that there are only 3 qualified candidates for the position, even during the crisis.

KUDO me plenty

Kudos [?]: 594 [0], given: 1474

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 01:29
This is a tricky question but not sure how to address such problems

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2016, 02:26
This is a tricky question but not sure how to address such problems

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2016, 22:53
kuttingchai wrote:
Will go for B

whenever you see "evaluate the argument" - is a question where you mostly weaken the conclusion

conclusion: "getting a teaching job in Vargonia's government-funded schools will easy by a recession

(A) Whether in Vargonia there are any schools not funded by the government that offer children an education free of charge
--> OUt of scope

(B) Whether the number of qualified applicants for teaching positions in government-funded schools increases significantly during economic recessions
--> if teaching positions will increase, then there is possibility that that getting job will not be easy. This weaken the conclusion. Kepp it.

(C) What the current student-teacher ratio in Vargonia's government-funded schools is
--> OUt of scope

(D) What proportion of Vargonia's workers currently hold jobs as teachers in government-funded schools
--> OUt of scope

(E) Whether in the past a number of government funded schools in Vargonia have had student teacher ratios well in excess of the new limit
--> if the ratio exceed the new limit it doesnot necessarilty make getting the job difficult

Hope that helps

teaching position is increased then getting job will not be easy. is that make any sense?? i think your reasoning may be faulty. correct me if i am wrong. thnx

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 368

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 11:01
parasena wrote:
Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that student-teacher ratios in government-funded schoolsnot exceed a certain limit. All Vargonian children are entitled to education, free of charge, in these schools. When a recession occurs and average incomes fall, the number of children enrolled in government-funded schools tends to increase. Therefore, though most employment opportunities contract in economic recessions, getting a teaching job in Vargonia's government-funded schools will not be made more difficult by a recession.

Which of the following would be most important to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether in Vargonia there are any schools not funded by the government that offer children an education free of charge

(B) Whether the number of qualified applicants for teaching positions in government-funded schools increases significantly during economic recessions

(C) What the current student-teacher ratio in Vargonia's government-funded schools is

(D) What proportion of Vargonia's workers currently hold jobs as teachers in government-funded schools

(E) Whether in the past a number of government funded schools in Vargonia have had student teacher ratios well in excess of the new limit

Originally selected C for the same reasons other 14% have done .

Deciphering B :

Ans : yes , which will mean the number of applicants has increased and that in turn will make more difficult to get the Job. Weakens the conclusion.

Ans : No , which will mean the number of applicants remains same , and that in turn will keep the diffuculty level of getting a teaching job at the same level. Strengthen the conclusion.

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 368

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

GMAT 1: 550 Q34 V31
GMAT 2: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 13:58
This question falls apart if you put yourself in the shoes of the teacher. After understanding the argument, personalize the situation. You are a teacher in Vargonia. The argument says it will not be more difficult for you to find a job if it's a recession. If you were the teacher, what would you want to know to verify this? B jumps off the page immediately. C is completely irrelevant.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Schools: NUS '20
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2017, 05:33
Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that student-teacher ratios in government-funded schoolsnot exceed a certain limit. All Vargonian children are entitled to education, free of charge, in these schools. When a recession occurs and average incomes fall, the number of children enrolled in government-funded schools tends to increase. Therefore, though most employment opportunities contract in economic recessions, getting a teaching job in Vargonia's government-funded schools will not be made more difficult by a recession.

The answer is B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2017, 05:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ] 

Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap