It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Diagnostic Test No : 7 – CR - Q No: 5

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7901 [1], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)
Verbal Diagnostic Test No : 7 – CR - Q No: 5 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2014, 23:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (01:44) correct 76% (01:57) wrong based on 466 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Necessity for personal growth determines high performance in a work environment through multi-dimensional factors such as satisfaction with work, co-workers, management, career growth prospects in both short and long term and employers’ vision and mission leading to organizational out-performance. However people who have no such necessity for growth end up with low performance bordering around devious ways of going up the ladder by means other than merit such as sycophancy etc. Need for personal growth is therefore an essential part of one’s career.

Which of the following strengthens the argument?

A. Work environment is the most essential feature of an organization’s progress
B. The organization as driven by its desire to achieve its vision and mission is the most important factor of organizational behavior
C. Organizational goals are more important than personal goals for an organization through which they flourish
D. Charity begins at home in organizations too.
E. Low performers are known devils who can be easily weeded out.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: D
OE:
A: The individual and his attitudes are more important
B: This argument ignores individualism totally
C: This cannot be true. Without the individual, there is no community
D. Correct Choice; Everything has an angle is very true even in corporate domains
E. It requires elaborate procedure to dismiss on the basis of performance alone.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Last edited by daagh on 20 Jan 2015, 09:29, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 7901 [1], given: 363

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1027

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '18, IIMA , IIMC
GPA: 3.77
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Verbal Diagnostic Test No : 7 – CR - Q No: 5 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 08:43
Hello Daagh, good evening !!

Could you please explain how D is correct ? I did not understand the provided explanations. Also, could you please update the sequencing of the answer choices ? Answer Choice C is appearing twice

Thanks in advance !!

Best Regards,
RS

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1027

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1845 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2014, 00:29
I selected C.

1. Kindly explain what does this D means in line with argument...Charity begins at home in organizations too..?

2. What is the source of this question ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1845 [0], given: 229

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 309

Schools: Sloan '19

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 00:24
Hello Daagh,

Could you please explain the approach for this question.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 309

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 15

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 01:19
Hi Experts,

Wats the OE for this.
I just din't understood why D is OA

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7901 [2], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The point of my argument is that personal growth achieved through ethical means, such as those cited in the prompt, is the driver of one own progress in one’s career. So, one has to put one’s own needs first before considering others. A well understood axiom that has been in use for centuries illustrates the same precisely.

A. Work environment is the most essential feature of an organization’s progress -- The argument is about one’s personal growth in one’s career. This choice talks about the organization's progress. Irrelevant

B. The organization as driven by its desire to achieve its vision and mission is the most important factor of organizational behavior --- This is excluding the individual althogether, without whom there may not exist an organization.

C. Organizational goals are more important than personal goals for an organization through which they flourish --- This is again focusing on the organization.

D. Charity begins at home in organizations too. – This is substantiated by the axiom referred to above. What holds good for the society at large is also true in organizations. This is the strengthener.

E. Low performers are known devils who can be easily weeded out. --- We are talking about outperformers and not low performers – Out of scope.

This is my perception. Of course, perceptions may differ from person to person.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7901 [2], given: 363

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2016, 02:13
Thanks Daagh
It is crystal clear now.
Although i would rate the choice as mild strengthener, but that's the beauty of strengthen question, answer choice can strengthen the stimulus from 1 to 100 %.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 479

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 07:51
Many thanks Daagh
The explaination is very clear, but could help me understand the reasoning of choice D, how charity is related to individualistic
Many thanks

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 479

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 79

Verbal Diagnostic Test No : 7 – CR - Q No: 5 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 13:39
daagh wrote:
The point of my argument is that personal growth achieved through ethical means, such as those cited in the prompt, is the driver of one own progress in one’s career. So, one has to put one’s own needs first before considering others. A well understood axiom that has been in use for centuries illustrates the same precisely.

A. Work environment is the most essential feature of an organization’s progress -- The argument is about one’s personal growth in one’s career. This choice talks about the organization's progress. Irrelevant

B. The organization as driven by its desire to achieve its vision and mission is the most important factor of organizational behavior --- This is excluding the individual althogether, without whom there may not exist an organization.

C. Organizational goals are more important than personal goals for an organization through which they flourish --- This is again focusing on the organization.

D. Charity begins at home in organizations too. – This is substantiated by the axiom referred to above. What holds good for the society at large is also true in organizations. This is the strengthener.

E. Low performers are known devils who can be easily weeded out. --- We are talking about outperformers and not low performers – Out of scope.

This is my perception. Of course, perceptions may differ from person to person.

Hi daagh,

As stated in stimulus--- " Necessity for personal growth determines high performance in a work environment.

Conclusion- Need for personal growth is therefore an essential part of one’s career.
We need to strengthen the argument-
So, If we show that high performance is required---> then we are strengthening the argument (As per my view, correct me if I am wrong)

As stated in Option E.

If Low performers are weeded out, then we can say that Out performers will DEFINITELY weeded out.
Therefore, an individual should be high performer. So, it strengthens the argument

IMO- E

Please share your thought.
Thanks in advance

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Last edited by PrakharGMAT on 06 Jan 2016, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 79

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 40

Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2016, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Hi Daagh,

As stated in stimulus--- " Necessity for personal growth determines high performance in a work environment.

Conclusion- Need for personal growth is therefore an essential part of one’s career.
So, If we show that high performance is required---> then we are strengthening the argument (As per my view, correct me if I am wrong)

As stated in Option E.

If Low performers are weeded out, then we can say that Out performers will DEFINITELY weeded out.
Therefore, an individual should be high performer. So, it strengthens the argument

IMO- E

Thanks in advance

Yeah I agree with E 100%. If low performers can find other ways to climb the ladder (sycophancy, etc), then high performance resulting from a need for personal growth is NOT necessary for a successful career. But if low performers are weeded out then the only way to climb the ladder is to be a high performer.

What is the source for this question??? This is clearly the argument: "Need for personal growth is therefore an essential part of one’s career." Option "D" is completely out of scope for this argument. Even if D were true, so what? What does charity have to do with one's career?

Kudos [?]: 19 [1], given: 40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2016, 04:14
I have understood this question like this :

You have two option for career progression
1> personal growth
2> Sycophancy (However people who have no such necessity for growth end up with low performance bordering around devious ways of going up the ladder by means other than merit such as sycophancy etc.)

Now we had arrived at conclusion --> Need for personal growth is therefore an essential part of one’s career.
so there is missing gap between from 2 options to only 1 option, at the last.

So we have to justify that sycophancy willnot work. -- E states that " Low performers are known devils who can be easily weeded out. " so that means we have to opt for personal growth.

D has nothing to with this. WHat society, what organization (its out of scope completely)

daagh : Pl have a look.

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 63

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 21:29
This is a really tough one, I went with E like others (after spending 3:45 min).

and spent 5 more minutes to understand the explanation .. :cry:, and still not sure if I get it :-D

_______
- Cheers

+1 kudos if you like

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 63

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 09:18
Kelzie01 wrote:
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Hi Daagh,

As stated in Option E.

IMO- E

Thanks in advance

Yeah I agree with E 100%. If low performers can find other ways to climb the ladder (sycophancy, etc), then high performance resulting from a need for personal growth is NOT necessary for a successful career. But if low performers are weeded out then the only way to climb the ladder is to be a high performer.

What is the source for this question??? This is clearly the argument: "Need for personal growth is therefore an essential part of one’s career." Option "D" is completely out of scope for this argument. Even if D were true, so what? What does charity have to do with one's career?

This is a bad question (or OA), that is very unlike the GMAT, in my opinion.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Re: Verbal Diagnostic Test No : 7 – CR - Q No: 5   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2017, 09:18

Verbal Diagnostic Test No : 7 – CR - Q No: 5

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap