Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3941 [39]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: It can be argued that much consumer dissatisfaction with marketing str [#permalink]
Kudos
i got the last one wrong, so happy with the performance. got fed up of answering 8 questions.

this is not a gmat RC though. in gmat, you'll see 4 or 5 questions for a single passage, not 8. doing such passages is a downer for my morale. and, the timing will be much better in this passage than on actual gmat questions because you get to read an entire passage to answer 4-5 questions.

my advice is not to do such passages. focus on the ones with 4-5 questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: It can be argued that much consumer dissatisfaction with marketing str [#permalink]
Kudos
I quite didnt understand the 6th Question... it says "The passage suggests that which of the following is true about the marketing of industrial products like those discussed in the third paragraph?

There are no industrial products discussed in the third para.. And moreover the third para says that "consumer goods" are better mass marketed - so option (B)
However if option (A) was to be right, then we should have been looking in to 2nd para! (how does 3rd para even say anything about industrial products" - please explain !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [2]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Following lines from the third paragraph supports option A for Question 6

These three groups are rarely identical. An exception occurs occasionally in cases where customers for a particular industrial product may be few and easily identifiable.
Since products like these industrial products are an exception to the generalization that "These three groups are rarely identical."

This implies that for such products market segment and program target are identical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
1.The passage suggests which of the following about highly specialized trade media?

(A) They should be used only when direct selling is not economically feasible.
Wrong. They are used in sync with direct selling.

(B) They can be used to exclude from the program audience people who are not part of the program target.
Right. It is a more of a chanelised and direct selling. It excludes everyone and anyone who is not a
part of the audience

(C) They are used only for very expensive products.
Wrong. No mention of it.

(D) They are rarely used in the implementation of marketing programs for industrial products.
Wrong. Industrial sector was one sector where this was implemented successfully.

(E) They are used only when direct selling has not reached the appropriate market segment.
Wrong. No mention of this connection.

2. According to the passage, most consumer-goods markets share which of the following characteristics?
I. Customers who differ significantly from each other
II. Large numbers of potential customers
III. Customers who each represent a small percentage of potential sales
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

There are substantial differences among consumers with similar demographic characteristics.
there are many rather than few potential customers.
Each represents a relatively small percentage of potential sales.

3. The passage suggests which of the following about direct selling?

(A) It is used in the marketing of most industrial products.
Wrong. Industrial products was just an example and cannot be generalized.

(B) It is often used in cases where there is a large program target.
Wrong. Opposite. It is often used with small program market.

(C) It is not economically feasible for most marketing programs.
Correct. Direct selling is not feasible for mass marketing programs.

(D) It is used only for products for which there are many potential customers.
Wrong. It is only used for products with small potential customers

(E) It is less successful at directing a marketing program to the target audience than are other marketing approaches.
Wrong. It has been proved successful in the case of industrial parts business.

4. The author mentions “trousers” (lines 9 and 11) most likely in order to

(A) make a comparison between the program target and the program audience
Nope. Trousers were used to distinct between market segment and program target.

(B) emphasize the similarities between the market segment and the program target.
Wrong. It was used to diffrentiate between market segment and the program target.

(C) provide an example of the way three groups of consumers are affected by a marketing program
Wrong. Trousers only mention two groups. Market segment and program target.

(D) clarify the distinction between the market segment and the program target
Correct.

(E) introduce the concept of the program audience
Wrong. It was used to differentiation between two concepts.

5. Which of the following best exemplifies the situation described in the last two sentences of the passage?

(A) A product suitable for women age 21-30 is marketed at meetings attended only by potential customers.
Wrong. The product was shown to people who were not in target group.

(B) A company develops a new product and must develop an advertising campaign to create a market for it.
Wrong. No mention of advertising campaign related to it.

(C) An idea for a specialized product remains unexplored because media exposure of the product to its few potential customers would be too expensive.
Wrong. Noting related to media exposure.

(D) A new product is developed and marketers collect demographic data on potential consumers before developing a specific advertising campaign.
Wrong. Nothing related to collecting demographic data.

(E) A product suitable for men age 60 and over is advertised in a magazine read by adults of all ages.
Correct.people get exposed to a great deal of marketing for products in which they have no interest and so they become annoyed.

6. The passage suggests that which of the following is true about the marketing of industrial products like those discussed in the third paragraph?
(A) The market segment and program target are identical.
Correct. " Rarely do members of a particular market segment group themselves neatly into a meaningful program target."

(B) Mass marketing is the only feasible way of advertising such products.
Wrong. Mass marketing is not the feasible way to advertise such products. Its Direct selling.

(C) The marketing program cannot be directed specifically to the program target.
Wrong. It can be. " direct a marketing program exclusively to the program target"

(D) More customers would be needed to justify the expense of direct selling.
Wrong. Nothing is mentioned about the marketing cost of the products.

(E) The program audience would necessarily be made up of potential customers, regardless of the marketing approach that was used.
Wrong. It only has to be direct selling for it to be feasible.

7. The passage supports which of the following statements about demographic characteristics and marketing?

(A) Demographic research is of no use in determining how successful a product will be with a particular group of consumers.
Wrong. No mention of it.

(B) A program audience is usually composed of people with similar demographic characteristics.
Wrong. Similar demographic people have diffrent characteristics.

(C) Psychological factors are more important than demographic factors in defining a market segments.
Wrong. No mention of it.

(D) Consumers with similar demographic characteristics do not necessarily form a meaningful program target.
Correct. There are substantial differences among consumers with similar demographic characteristics.

(E) Collecting demographic data is the first step that marketers take in designing a marketing program.
Wrong. No mention of this.

8. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is true for most consumer-goods markets?

(A) The program audience is smaller than the market segment.
Wrong. Program audience is bigger than the market segment.

(B) The program audience and the market segment are usually identical.
Wrong. Program audience and market segment are diffrent than each other.

(C) The market segment and the program target are usually identical.
Wrong. They are different.

(D) The program target is larger than the market segment.
Wrong. Market segment is larger.

(E) The program target and the program audience are not usually identical.
Correct. They are diffrent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Someboby please explain me the passage especially the last one.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [3]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos