Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [22]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
Re: Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced by both classical ba [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced by both classical ballet and modern dance, employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet but permits a greater range of movement and may not adhere to the strict body lines or turnout that permeate classical ballet

A. Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced both by classical ballet and modern dance, employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permits a greater range of movement and may not adhere to the strict body lines or turnout that permeate classical ballet
Classical Ballet is singular and so "permeate" must reflect that. It should be "permeates"

B. Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced both by classical ballet and by modern dance, employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet but permitting a greater range of movement than classical ballet, and may not adhere to the strict body lines and turnout that permeates classical ballet
There is a problem with parallelism. Contemporary ballet is a form of dance, employing... but permitting... and not adhere. "Adhere" should be "adhering"

C.Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced both by classical ballet and by modern dance, employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement and may not be adhering to the strict body lines or turnout that permeate classical ballet
C. keeps the parallel structure of employing... permitting... and adhering... but fails to have "permeate" reflect the singular "classical ballet". It should be "permeates".

D. Influenced both by classical ballet and by modern dance, contemporary ballet is a form of a dance employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement and not adhering to the strict body lines or turnout that permeates classical ballet ---

E. Employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement , contemporary ballet is a form of dance that may not adhere to the strict body lines and turnout that permeate classical ballet
The same error with "permeate" occurs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35 (Online)
Send PM
Re: Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced by both classical ba [#permalink]
Kudos
Problem with B is that 'adhere' is a verb rather than adjective 'adhering'. C would have been correct if the option had proper S-V.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
I have few questions regarding the options in this question. Can someone help? GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo KarishmaB IanStewart

1. Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced both by classical ballet and by modern dance, employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement and may not be adhering to the strict body lines or turnout that permeate classical ballet

Does the "that" refer to the "strict body lines or turnout". Further since the "turnout" is singular, can we say that we require the singular verb "permeates. Thereby eliminating this option. If not this how else can we say that this option is incorrect.

2. Influenced both by classical ballet and by modern dance, contemporary ballet is a form of a dance employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement and not adhering to the strict body lines or turnout that permeates classical ballet

The part of the sentence "but permitting a greater rang of movement" does not require "than classical ballet", to complete the comparison?

3. Employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement , contemporary ballet is a form of dance that may not adhere to the strict body lines and turnout that permeate classical ballet
Not sure how to eliminate this option. "Employing....classical ballet" and "permitting....movement", both appear to be modifiers (modifying contemporary ballet) seperated by "but". So i think that is correct. Also "that" refers to "strict body lines and turnout". Hence usage of plural permeate seems to be correct. Although this sentence is not as concise as option D, I think it is gramatically correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64913 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
szcz wrote:
I have few questions regarding the options in this question. Can someone help? GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo KarishmaB IanStewart

1. Contemporary ballet is a form of dance influenced both by classical ballet and by modern dance, employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement and may not be adhering to the strict body lines or turnout that permeate classical ballet

Does the "that" refer to the "strict body lines or turnout". Further since the "turnout" is singular, can we say that we require the singular verb "permeates. Thereby eliminating this option. If not this how else can we say that this option is incorrect.

2. Influenced both by classical ballet and by modern dance, contemporary ballet is a form of a dance employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement and not adhering to the strict body lines or turnout that permeates classical ballet

The part of the sentence "but permitting a greater rang of movement" does not require "than classical ballet", to complete the comparison?

3. Employing the fundamental technique and body control of classical ballet, but permitting a greater range of movement , contemporary ballet is a form of dance that may not adhere to the strict body lines and turnout that permeate classical ballet
Not sure how to eliminate this option. "Employing....classical ballet" and "permitting....movement", both appear to be modifiers (modifying contemporary ballet) seperated by "but". So i think that is correct. Also "that" refers to "strict body lines and turnout". Hence usage of plural permeate seems to be correct. Although this sentence is not as concise as option D, I think it is gramatically correct.

I wouldn't worry too much about unofficial questions of unknown source. I would doubt everything and would have no takeaway so at the end of it all, it will be a wasted effort.

Even (D) looks wrong to me - "...to the strict body lines or turnout that permeates classical ballet"
What does this mean? It does not adhere to strict body lines OR turnout? I would think that the author wants to say that it does not adhere to both and both are a part of classical ballet and hence it should read "to the strict body lines and turnout that permeate classical ballet"
The verb becomes plural.

So all in all, I wouldn't waste my time. For official questions, at least I would have takeaways even if the answer is not to my liking.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos