Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64919 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64919 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink]
Expert Reply
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

I desperately need GMAT Verbal experts advise as I think I am prolonging my preparation due to this.

Background: It has been a while since I have been practicing verbal.But still I am not getting my answers correct.I have already exploited official material (OG11/12/13/VR2)

Past Real GMAT : 630 (Q47,V29)

Theory: PowerScore CR BIBLE, MGMAT SC Guide

Issues:

(1). When I practice CR , I forgot how to do SC and my accuracy in SC drops and vice-versa.

(2). I am currently practicing from GMAT-700-800 CR document which I have started two days back.But when I attempt assumption questions , I am unable to solve them correctly.I have seen videos by RON and I have already wen through POWERSCORE CR BIBLE.

Approach: I try to look at the GAP between premise and assumption but I am unable to spot the GAP in most of the arguments.So, when sometimes I am unable to see the GAP in the argument, I follow the sequence given by RON.

->Identify GAP
-> Try to challenge the argument and nullify that challenge in the answer
-> Last resort -> Assumption Negation technique

After applying the above process it is unlikely that I will save time and it is likely that sometimes I get the questions wrong.

(3).Sometimes in tough stimulus I wrongly interpret conclusion so I miss the assumption also.

(4). I gave two mocks in last two weeks.

MGMAT Q45,V31
GMATPREP Q49,V29

I studied quant for 2 days before my second mock and nourished my malnutrition in RATE/WORK problems and got 2/2 of them right too.

I mean to say that it is easy to increase the quant score. However, I am not able to get the secret behind what VERBAL needs.I already gave 1 year 2 months and still struggling in VERBAL and I gave just two days to quant and saw the improvement.

Can the experts enlighten me in my verbal prep.

Regards,
TGC!

Yes, assumption questions are not very easy for most people. See here:
https://youtu.be/O0ROJfljRLU

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 02 Oct 2013, 21:57.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 15 Dec 2023, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

I desperately need GMAT Verbal experts advise as I think I am prolonging my preparation due to this.

Background: It has been a while since I have been practicing verbal.But still I am not getting my answers correct.I have already exploited official material (OG11/12/13/VR2)

Past Real GMAT : 630 (Q47,V29)

Theory: PowerScore CR BIBLE, MGMAT SC Guide

Issues:

(1). When I practice CR , I forgot how to do SC and my accuracy in SC drops and vice-versa.

(2). I am currently practicing from GMAT-700-800 CR document which I have started two days back.But when I attempt assumption questions , I am unable to solve them correctly.I have seen videos by RON and I have already wen through POWERSCORE CR BIBLE.

Approach: I try to look at the GAP between premise and assumption but I am unable to spot the GAP in most of the arguments.So, when sometimes I am unable to see the GAP in the argument, I follow the sequence given by RON.

->Identify GAP
-> Try to challenge the argument and nullify that challenge in the answer
-> Last resort -> Assumption Negation technique

After applying the above process it is unlikely that I will save time and it is likely that sometimes I get the questions wrong.

(3).Sometimes in tough stimulus I wrongly interpret conclusion so I miss the assumption also.

(4). I gave two mocks in last two weeks.

MGMAT Q45,V31
GMATPREP Q49,V29

I studied quant for 2 days before my second mock and nourished my malnutrition in RATE/WORK problems and got 2/2 of them right too.

I mean to say that it is easy to increase the quant score. However, I am not able to get the secret behind what VERBAL needs.I already gave 1 year 2 months and still struggling in VERBAL and I gave just two days to quant and saw the improvement.

Can the experts enlighten me in my verbal prep.

Regards,
TGC!

Yes, assumption questions are not very easy for most people. I have discussed them at length on my blog. Check out these posts.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... sumptions/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... -question/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/04 ... ons-again/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/04 ... inference/

Hi Karishma,

My query:

For a non-native,is it essential that only daily reading of articles would improvise the verbal performance on the mock tests. Since my case , I have already exploited official material and much more material. However, when I appear in a mock, I am not 100% confident in verbal questions.

So what is the MANTRA for verbal for non-natives knowing the FACT that GMAT is leaning towards logical/meaning based questions than the mere rules or patterns in SC or CR.

Please advise

Rgds,
TGC!
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi folks,

Lately I have realized that I am having a disease which makes me fear long texts. For instance

Long jokes on https://gmatclub.com/chat
Long text statuses on FB etc etc.

So this thing carries with me in the mock tests and haunts me in both the sections.

(1). I am happy with small question texts in Quants , and I stumble mostly in easy questions with long texts, thereby decreasing my score.

Otherwise I am average in quants and love to solve the problems.

(2). On verbal this disease haunts me like a giant.

And so are my accuracy for individual sections have inverse relationship with the texts of different questions.

Last Mock:

SC (Small text) -> Accuracy 90%
CR (Relatively larger text and more thinking) -> Accuracy 50-60%
RC (Largest text of all ) -> Accuracy 50%

Though I admit that I am haven't practiced RC before this mock, so the score. But if you can observe my issue has to do with the text size and not the frameworks or strategies.

Please advise !!

Rgds,
TGC!
Director
Director
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

Lately I have realized that I am having a disease which makes me fear long texts. For instance

Long jokes on https://gmatclub.com/chat
Long text statuses on FB etc etc.

So this thing carries with me in the mock tests and haunts me in both the sections.

(1). I am happy with small question texts in Quants , and I stumble mostly in easy questions with long texts, thereby decreasing my score.

Otherwise I am average in quants and love to solve the problems.

(2). On verbal this disease haunts me like a giant.

And so are my accuracy for individual sections have inverse relationship with the texts of different questions.

Last Mock:

SC (Small text) -> Accuracy 90%
CR (Relatively larger text and more thinking) -> Accuracy 50-60%
RC (Largest text of all ) -> Accuracy 50%

Though I admit that I am haven't practiced RC before this mock, so the score. But if you can observe my issue has to do with the text size and not the frameworks or strategies.

Please advise !!

Rgds,
TGC!

The more you fixate on your issue with long texts, the more they will trouble you. What you need to do is stop thinking in terms of long or short texts - easier said than done now that you are convinced that you don't do well with long texts. The problem is of concentration - you probably lose your focus with longer texts.

Do this exercise regularly:

Take a 10 line paragraph. Read two lines and tell yourself the gist of what you have read. Read two more lines and do the same till you reach the end. Then tell yourself the gist of the whole passage. After you do this for a few days, start reading 3 lines at a time. Then go on to 4 and so on till you start reading the whole paragraph in one go and telling yourself the gist. That is all you need to be able to do for CR and RC.
Learn to keep your focus. The 180 character generation is usually low on concentration - no surprise there! But it's not hard to learn.

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for the advise and looks it would work for me.

Furthermore, I have VeritasPrep OD course with me and I have finished the Quant lessons since I thought to make Quant 50-51 before moving to verbal.

Can you please advise whether the Verbal part of OD course is on the similar lines as Quant course since I loved the quant course and the strategies which Brian explained.

And how to best utilize the verbal course of OD?

Rgds,
TGC!
GMAT Club Bot