It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Review 16 - A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Verbal Review 16 - A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:58) correct 33% (01:05) wrong based on 441 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

A. if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will
B. if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still
C. having been given reason for believing that their jobs would
D. having been given reason to believe their jobs to
E. given reason to believe that their jobs will still
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by keats on 16 Oct 2015, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
S
Re: Verbal Review 16 - A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 23:33
it takes me a long time to sovle this . the meaning of sentence is hard to understand. I realize the illogic meaning in choice C,D and E and choose the correct A without understand the meaning.

look at A and B

in the phrase, for doing, doing work as a gerund which refers to a general action, not refering to an action of a noun in the sentence

so, "believing" in B dose not refer to "workers" and the meaning become unclear

this is the reason for which for doing is wrong when it is used to show a purpose

in contrast, to do is used to show the purpose and subject cause the action of to do

I learn gmat to take mba in us

here to take is caused by I.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Current Student
S
Reviews Badge
Re: Verbal Review 16 - A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 23:37
thangvietnam wrote:
it takes me a long time to sovle this . the meaning of sentence is hard to understand. I realize the illogic meaning in choice C,D and E and choose the correct A without understand the meaning.

look at A and B

in the phrase, for doing, doing work as a gerund which refers to a general action, not refering to an action of a noun in the sentence

so, "believing" in B dose not refer to "workers" and the meaning become unclear

this is the reason for which for doing is wrong when it is used to show a purpose

in contrast, to do is used to show the purpose and subject cause the action of to do

I learn gmat to take mba in us

here to take is caused by I.

Thanks for the response thangvietnam

It would be great if you can talk about the Conditional Part If XXXX Then YYYY used in A and B
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 23:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A question that reflects the use of the conditional diction.

A. if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will --- This choice goes well with the norm that if the conditional part is in present tense (including present perfect” , then the effect clause should be in the future ----- best choice

B. if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still -- would is wrong tense in the effect clause. For believing is wrong idiom; we do need the infinitive ‘to believe’ instead.

C. having been given reason for believing that their jobs would -- same as in B

D. having been given reason to believe their jobs to --- 'to be safe' does not go with the norm that the effect clause should be in the future tense.

E. given reason to believe that their jobs will still --- 'given reason' does not indicate any tense; it can also mean past tense.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Last edited by daagh on 16 Oct 2015, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 23:45
I failed gmat many years and many times and will retake gmat soon. so, very happy to hear thank you from you.

I an talk of conditional.

if some do, then do

this is a fact

if some do, then will do/can do

this is a situation which can happen

if some did, then would do

this is a situaion which nearly can not happen at present or future

if some had done, then would have done

this is a situation which can not happen because we talk about the past.

our sentence fall into the pattern 2

could not,,, if do

on gmat , if claused is placed after main clause to make harder. when ever we see "if" we need to thing of conditional

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 00:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
daagh wrote:
A question that reflects the use of the conditional diction.

A. if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will --- This choice goes well with the norm that if the conditional part is in present tense (including present perfect” , then the effect clause should be in the future best choice

B. if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still -- would is wrong tense in the effect clause. For believing is wrong idiom; we do need the infinitive ‘to believe’ instead.

C. having been given reason for believing that their jobs would -- same as in B

D. having been given reason to believe their jobs to --- 'to be safe' does not go with the norm that the effect clause should be in the future tense.

E. given reason to believe that their jobs will still --- 'given reason' does not indicate any tense; it can also mean past tense.

Thanks for the quick response daagh

The problem that I am facing in this question is that I am unable to segregate the If and Then part in option A and B. Also, the rules that I've learned during my preparation are -

1. If Present then Present [Fact, Certainity]
2. If Present then Can/May [Uncertaininty]
3. If Present then Will [Always]
4. If Past then Past [Fact, Certainity]
5. If Past then would [Uncertaininty]
6. If Past Perfect then would have [Never happend]

What rule can I apply from the above in this question !
Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 00:26
thangvietnam wrote:
I failed gmat many years and many times and will retake gmat soon. so, very happy to hear thank you from you.

I an talk of conditional.

if some do, then do

this is a fact

if some do, then will do/can do

this is a situation which can happen

if some did, then would do

this is a situaion which nearly can not happen at present or future

if some had done, then would have done

this is a situation which can not happen because we talk about the past.

our sentence fall into the pattern 2

could not,,, if do

on gmat , if claused is placed after main clause to make harder. when ever we see "if" we need to thing of conditional

Yes, yes. You should not worry thangvietnam
Only the one that fails knows the value of ''success''. And nothing worth having comes easy. So keep it up my friend !

Coming back to the question, I can see that you could put the sentence in a Conditional Category. But, I am facing an issue of segregating the 'If' and 'Then' part in options A and B. Can you try and separate them for me.

Cheers
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 01:04
Steinbeck
Quote:
A. if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will --- This choice goes well with the norm that if the conditional part is in present tense (including present perfect”, then the effect clause should be in the future ----- best choice

I am rewriting this choice for your clarity: that if the conditional part is in present tense (including present perfect”,( meaning if present) then the effect clause should be in the future ( meaning then Will) : Isn’t this what your third rule says?

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Current Student
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 02:57
daagh wrote:
Steinbeck
Quote:
A. if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will --- This choice goes well with the norm that if the conditional part is in present tense (including present perfect”, then the effect clause should be in the future ----- best choice

I am rewriting this choice for your clarity: that if the conditional part is in present tense (including present perfect”,( meaning if present) then the effect clause should be in the future ( meaning then Will) : Isn’t this what your third rule says?

daagh

Yes, it says the same ! However, I was trying to figure out the XXXX and YYYY part of If XXXX Then YYYY. Well, while understanding this I got the answer to my question as well. So, thank you.
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 23:33
this question surely wants to test the tense,and it is quite confusing
using POE, A is correct, and B is wrong
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 23:11
Hi, guys. I am new here. Can You explain the difference between "if they have been given reason to believe that" and "if they are given reason for believing that"? I looked through Macmillian dictionary, I don't see the difference between them. both of them are correct in the dictionary. Thanks for the response beforehand
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
Alwaysbelieve wrote:
Hi, guys. I am new here. Can You explain the difference between "if they have been given reason to believe that" and "if they are given reason for believing that"? I looked through Macmillian dictionary, I don't see the difference between them. both of them are correct in the dictionary. Thanks for the response beforehand

well, apparently, a big difference is between "to" and "for"
there is also a difference between the tense, but we should focus more on the above grammar point.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 19:09
A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling that workers cannot be laid off if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will be safe, provided that their performance remains satisfactory.

A. if they have been given reason to believe that their jobs will - Correct
B. if they are given reason for believing that their jobs would still - Idiom for believing is incorrect ; verb tense are given is incorrect as it fails to convey that the assurance has been given over a period of time.
C. having been given reason for believing that their jobs would - Idiom for believing is incorrect ; Use of having been given is incorrect because this modifier is used to denote an action that was done before another action
D. having been given reason to believe their jobs to - Use of having been given is incorrect because this modifier is used to denote an action that was done before another action
E. given reason to believe that their jobs will still - Use of given reason to believe fails to clearly convey the intended condition required for the jobs to remain safe in the future

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 23:11
chesstitans wrote:
Alwaysbelieve wrote:

well, apparently, a big difference is between "to" and "for"
there is also a difference between the tense, but we should focus more on the above grammar point.

Hi. Can You be more specific? I know there is the difference between TO and FOR. Tell me the exact difference between "reason for doing" and "reason to do", please.
Re: Verbal Review 16 - A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 23:11

Verbal Review 16 - A recent court decision has qualified a 1998 ruling

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap