Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ESCP MiM "23
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
CR is a very difficult subject for me.. I need proper guidance.. and I guess I'm on the right platform. I'll get good help.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep CR Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about CR [#permalink]
Hi VeritasKarishma - I have read that articles / research / subject mater are all considered "Facts" and not "claims"

However - if one was to say the following statement (source : made up) -- isn't this a conclusion and not a fact ?

Statement : Studies have shown that without water, humans will not survive more than 5 hours.

Wouldn't this be a conclusion ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your response to my question regarding the Wood Pulp.

In this question, the conclusion is a prediction. So we cannot say that it will happen because we cannot say anything for certain about the future. But if it is a prediction that logically follows from some given conditions, then we can say that the conditions are sufficient.

Japan and Europe prefer US pulp if cost is not a problem.
US pulp will be cheaper than any other.

Then it logically follows that Japan and Europe will prefer to buy US pulp. Then it is logical for us to say that US pulp exports will rise.
This is where the scope of our argument ends. What will actually happen in the future, we don't care.

I mixed this question up as a plan. That the plan will lead to the goal. And so anything sufficient will guarantee the outcome.

But just to confirm here, when we talk of logically follows for a prediction, it is some thing sufficient to "make" the prediction not make it come true.

Whereas a similar case for Plan -> Goal questions would be the guaranteed outcome. That would be the sufficient option ?

Also I have seen, in conditional conclusions If X, then Y, we have an implicit assumption of X is sufficient for Y. But here X is not triggered, until mentioned.

Whereas in Plan -> Goal questions, the Plan is triggered, and we just have to evaluate whether the Goal is met or not.

Your clarification will be helpful in the above nuances.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force. Before reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be most helpful to find out which of the following EXCEPT:

(A) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

(B) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

(C) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

(D) Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

(E) Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

Hi Mam,

Kindly help with this question. I got the correct answer but I was between C and A.
C does reinforce "whether there was a re-organization" whereas A does really nothing.
I got as much but normally in strengthen or weaken type questions we look at a new premise not supporting the existing premise but which together with the existing (Given) premises makes the conclusion more likely i.e. We take premises to be true and don't try to change or question the situation but focus on what can follow.

Similarly in conditional conclusion we don't evaluate the if condition but evaluate whether necessary condition occurs or not given sufficient condition.

I found an exception to this Weaken Except and Strengthen Except questions.
In these questions there were choices that actually Weakened or strengthened the premises and thus were excluded from the correct answer choice selection.

Similarly is it true that in Evaluate except questions we can have choices that evaluate the premises ?

The CR blogs are really awesome in QWQW. Thank you so much for these blogs. I have based my quant & cr prep on them and I could see a stark difference in results.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
kagrawal16 wrote:
Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville Times reorganized its advertising sales force. Before reorganization, the sales force was organized geographically, with some sales representatives concentrating on city-center businesses and others concentrating on different outlying regions. The reorganization attempted to increase the sales representatives' knowledge of clients' businesses by having each sales representative deal with only one type of industry or of retailing. After the reorganization, revenue from advertising sales increased.

In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be most helpful to find out which of the following EXCEPT:

(A) Two years ago, what proportion of the Greenville Time's total revenue was generated by advertising sales

(B) Has the circulation of the Greenville Times increased substantially in the last two years

(C) Has there been a substantial turnover in personnel in the advertising sales force over the last 2 years

(D) Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

(E) Has the economy in Greenville and the surrounding regions been growing rapidly over the last two years?

Hi Mam,

Kindly help with this question. I got the correct answer but I was between C and A.
C does reinforce "whether there was a re-organization" whereas A does really nothing.
I got as much but normally in strengthen or weaken type questions we look at a new premise not supporting the existing premise but which together with the existing (Given) premises makes the conclusion more likely i.e. We take premises to be true and don't try to change or question the situation but focus on what can follow.

Similarly in conditional conclusion we don't evaluate the if condition but evaluate whether necessary condition occurs or not given sufficient condition.

I found an exception to this Weaken Except and Strengthen Except questions.
In these questions there were choices that actually Weakened or strengthened the premises and thus were excluded from the correct answer choice selection.

Similarly is it true that in Evaluate except questions we can have choices that evaluate the premises ?

The CR blogs are really awesome in QWQW. Thank you so much for these blogs. I have based my quant & cr prep on them and I could see a stark difference in results.

Hey kagrawal16,

I am not sure I understand your question.

I have discussed this CR here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/following-se ... 73545.html

In strengthen except questions, 4 options will strengthen the conclusion and 1 option will do nothing or weaken it. That 1 option will be our answer.
Similarly, in weaken except questions, 4 options will weaken the conclusion and 1 option will do nothing or strengthen it. That 1 option will be our answer.

Similarly in "useful to evaluate except" questions, 4 options will be useful to evaluate but 1 will not be. We need to identify that one.

The rules stay exactly the same in "except" questions. Just the number of options following that rule flips.

Yep, I follow the above steps.
My question was more so an observation. What I meant was that

Say we have Premise 1, Premise 2, Conclusion. We normally take Premise 1 and 2 to be true. Say now for eg. in Weaken except question, One answer choice addresses a gap in the premises. So we leave out this choice as a gap weakens and cannot be the answer.

Next choice directly weakens the Premise 1 itself stating something on the lines of Premise 1 cannot happen.
So this again weakens the conclusion effectively and is hence not the answer.

For eg. in the below question I feel choice B directly weakens the premise stating money is not a factor in the Weaken Except stem.

Normally, some thing directly weakening or strengthening the premises itself is Not what we do in the Normal strengthen weaken questions as we take the premise to be true.
We would not find some thing directly hitting the premises in plain Weaken questions right or I should drop this distinction and accept a similar Weaken Answer choice in a Weaken question.

Politician: All nations that place a high tax on income produce thereby a negative incentive for technological innovation, and all nations in which technological innovation is hampered inevitably fall behind in the international arms race. Those nations that, through historical accident or the foolishness of their political leadership, wind up in a strategically disadvantageous position are destined to lose their voice in the world affairs. So if a nation wants to maintain its value system and way of life, it must not allow its highest tax bracket to exceed 30 percent of income.
Each of the following, if true, weakens the politician’s argument EXCEPT:
(A) The top level of taxation must reach 45 percent before taxation begins to deter inventors and industrialists from introducing new technologies and industries.
(B) Making a great deal of money is an insignificant factor in driving technological innovation.
(C) Falling behind in the international arms race does not necessarily lead to a strategically less advantageous position.
(D) Those nations that lose influence in the world community do not necessarily suffer from a threat to their value system or way of life.
(E) Allowing one’s country to lose its technological edge, especially as concerns weaponry, would be foolish rather than merely a historical accident.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma - Wanted to see if my understanding of this question was accurate, specifically regarding an offset of option B

https://gmatclub.com/forum/fast-food-re ... l#p2678803
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma - Wanted to see if my understanding of this question was accurate, specifically regarding an offset of option B

https://gmatclub.com/forum/fast-food-re ... l#p2678803

Hey jabhatta2,

Done.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

Please help me with this question

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-earliest ... 94297.html

My doubt in option D is :-

Quote:
(D) Successor cultures at a given site often adopt the style of agricultural implements used by earlier inhabitants of the same site.

Successor cultures meaning the successor of Mayans. They adopted the style of agricultural implements used by earlier inhabitants of the same site.

Since they are the successors so they adopted the style of their predecessors. So this option will strengthen rather than weaken.
VP
VP
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Isaac wears glasses. Isaac also gets A’s in algebra. Therefore, Isaac must be intelligent.

Which of the following assumptions is necessary to support the conclusion above?

a) Isaac gets good grades in all of his math classes.
b) All boys named Isaac are smart.
c) Isaac wouldn’t wear glasses if he wasn’t smart.
d) Some people who get A’s in algebra are smart.
e) Everyone who gets an A in algebra is smart.

Between D and E specifically -- how does one determine which is accurate ?

What makes assumption questions hard? Many things. One of those is that people confuse necessary conditions with sufficient conditions.

c) Isaac wouldn’t wear glasses if he wasn’t smart.

If not smart, no glasses.
This also implies "Wears glasses means is smart".
This is sufficient for the conclusion but is it necessary? No. Even if some people who wear glasses are not smart, Isaac could be smart. We don't need this to hold (that all who wear glasses must be smart) for our conclusion to hold.

Hi VeritasKarishma - thank you for everything !

Just curious, can I rephrase option C as the following

Everyone who wears glasses is smart

That is why, this is a sufficient statement - it's good to have this statement but it is not necessary for EVERYONE who wears glasses to be smart ....

Option is the form of Not Y equals Not X ...or it can re-phrased as X equals Y.
VP
VP
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Rebekah wrote:
Hello, Karishma, can you give me a definition of "consideration"? I was quite confused about what should I look for in the question below, thx in advance

Theater Critic: The play La Finestrina, now at Central Theater, was written in Italy in the eighteenth century. The director claims that this production is as similar to the original production as is possible in a modern theater. Although the actor who plays Harlequin the clown gives a performance very reminiscent of the twentieth-century American comedian Groucho Marx, Marx’s comic style was very much within the comic acting tradition that had begun in sixteenth-century Italy.

The considerations given best serve as part of an argument that

(A) modern audiences would find it hard to tolerate certain characteristics of a historically accurate performance of an eighteenth-century play

(B) Groucho Marx once performed the part of the character Harlequin in La Finestrina

(C) in the United States the training of actors in the twentieth century is based on principles that do not differ radically from those that underlay the training of actors in eighteenth-century Italy

(D) the performance of the actor who plays Harlequin in La Finestrina does not serve as evidence against the director’s claim

(E) the director of La Finestrina must have advised the actor who plays Harlequin to model his performance on comic performances of Groucho Marx

A consideration is a premise. Imagine a debate between A and B. A is in favour of C and B is against it. So A says "ok, consider this: ..." Basically he is giving you some data to consider to strengthen his position.

The considerations given - data given
best serve as part of an argument that - best support the argument (conclusion) that ...

Basically, the premises given will be best part of an argument that implies/concludes/says ...?

Hi VeritasKarishma - I was going through this explanation. I understand when you mean - consideration means "Premise" ..I get that :)

Next bit of the question statement confuses me (best serve as part of an argument that)

Currently I am thinking about it like this : The premises above best serve as part of an argument that indicate that ---

But is there another way to re-phrase best serve as part of an argument that
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks alot Karishma.

Sure, I will put my doubtful questions to you, such that you can show better perspective to attack answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hello VeritasKarishma,

Hope not to ask a dumb question.
I'm preparing for the GMAT using both the "All the GMAT" by Manhattan and the CR bible by Powerscore. I found the latter very useful and I don't want to waste time covering overlapping methods and strategies on the "All the Verbal" for CR.
Can I directly skip this part on the Manhattan book or should I study some parts also there?

Thank you very much for your time

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma

need your urgent support on 2 CR - LSAT- ASSUMPTION Questions on NEGATE technique
( negate of right answer is not WEAKENING the conclusion). I think I am doing something serious wrong.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/industrialis ... l#p2733802
https://gmatclub.com/forum/companies-th ... l#p2734272

Thanks a ton!
VP
VP
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Hi VeritasKarishma

need your urgent support on 2 CR - LSAT- ASSUMPTION Questions on NEGATE technique
( negate of right answer is not WEAKENING the conclusion). I think I am doing something serious wrong.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/companies-th ... l#p2734272

Thanks a ton!

Hey mSKR,

Done.

First question:

Second question I have discussed in detail here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/press-secret ... l#p1174052

Go through the thread and let me know if it clears the doubts.

2nd question i posted at wrong place before :
Here is the right link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/press-secret ... l#p2735674

Doubt is : On negation , B and E seems to strengthen the conclusion and D seems to weaken the conclusion .

B) The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were not mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
>>
1. What is new about this information . We already know that 90% of projects canceled were in opposite parties
Negate B: The scheduled highway projects identified as wasteful in the report were mostly projects in districts controlled by the President’s party.
If most projects were wasteful in president party then it strengthens conclusion that his choice is motivated by budgetary policy that he even do cancel projects in his own district.

Soon basis of above 2 reasons, I rejected B

(D) The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were not generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.
Negated D:The highway projects canceled in districts controlled by the President’s party were generally more expensive than the projects canceled in districts controlled by opposition parties.

So if his projects were expensive than projects of expensive , it means to some extend he is motivated politically else the projects would have been of similar cost. It may not be true but it tends to prove that his motive is politically and seems to favor claim of opposition parties

(E) Reports by nonpartisan auditors are not generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
Negate E: Reports by nonpartisan auditors are generally regarded by the opposition parties as a source of objective assessments of government projects.
So they should believe the conclusion and it seems to favour the conclusion as in B.

What am I missing?
VP
VP
Send PM
Quote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
[/url]

What am I missing?

Yes I noticed. That is why I have given you the correct link. I have a long discussion on the question there. Go through it thoroughly. I have also responded to your doubt there.

I was really struggling with this question.
You are magician / Angel :angel: :angel: . I instantly understood what I was overlooking.

Thanks a ton! :please: :please: :please: :please:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Please can you clarify on this question i was unable to eliminate Option B and D both looks very attractive. That the application of new technology can increase the productivity of existing coal mines is demonstrated by the case of Tribnia's coal industry. Coal output per miner in Tribnia is double what it was five years ago, even though no new mines have opened.

Which of the following can be properly concluded from the statement about coal output per miner in the passage?

(A) If the number of miners working in Tribnian coal mines has remained constant in the past five years, Tribnia's total coal production has doubled in that period of time.

(B) Any individual Tribnian coal mine that achieved an increase in overall ouput in the past five years has also experienced an increase in output per miner.

(C) If any new coal mines had opened in Tribnia in the past five years, then the increase in output per miner would have been even greater than it actually was.

(D) If any individual Tribnian coal mine has not increased its output per miner in the past five years, then that mine's overall output has declined or remained constant.

(E) In Tribnia the cost of producing a given quantity of coal has declined over the past five years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
Please explain on this question why E is not the answer but D?
It is theoretically possible that bacteria developed on Mars early in its history and that some were carried to Earth by a meteorite. However, strains of bacteria from different planets would probably have substantial differences in protein structure that would persist over time, and no two bacterial strains on Earth are different enough to have arisen on different planets. So, even if bacteria did arrive on Earth from Mars, they must have died out.

The argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

(A) It fails to establish whether bacteria actually developed on Mars
(B) it fails to establish how likely it is that Martian bacteria were transported to Earth
(C) It fails to consider whether there were means other than meteorites by which Martian bacteria could have been carried to Earth.
(D) It fails to consider whether all bacteria now on Earth could have arisen from transported Martian bacteria.
(E) It fails to consider whether there could have been strains of bacteria that originated on Earth and later died out.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts