Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:

Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [25]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [54]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [4]
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pankajpatwari wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
tilak123 - I am kicking off this post as per your request.

This is a compilation of all links to the "Made Easy" series. Bunuel has already compiled links to all my posts on specific topics. I will provide links to those compilations:

Statistics Made Easy

Inequalities Made Easy

Sequences Made Easy

Combinatorics Made Easy

Weighted Avgs and Mixtures Made Easy

Hi Karishma.. I request reference to Question 1 in your post "A group of 8 friends sit together in a circle. If A refuses to sit beside B unless C sits on the other side of A as well, how many possible seating arrangements are possible?" Even though i understood your explanation, can u please tell me whats wrong in my approach?

My Approach: There are 2 scenarios possible, One where A sits next to both B & C and the other wherein A doesn't sit next to both B & C . In the former the no.of arrangements are: 1*2*1*5*4*3*2*1= 2*5!
In the latter the no. of arrangements are: 1*5*4*5*4*3*2*1= 20*5!
Thus total no. of arrangements are: 5!(20+2)= 22*5!
However your answer is 32*5!

Where am i missing??

How about the case when A sits next to C but not to B. A does NOT refuse to sit beside C unless B sits next to him on the other side. We can have AC sitting together in 2 ways, one of the other 5 (except B) sitting next to A on the other side and the other 5 people arranged in 5! ways.

This can be done in 2*5*5! = 10*5! ways
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [4]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ok Karishma I have read your posts and found out that you are better at understanding the internal working of mathematics (QUANT) in connection with GMAT then anybody else in this forum. The problem with me is that this is my first ever CAT test in life so I went head on brute force with GMAT which is to "know all to solve all" but I think GMAT is ocean and this strategy is taking me nowhere. I have gone thru all the basic quant requirement from reputable resources and my concepts are fine.

so here is the problem i gave the GMAT club test and scored 8/31 correct and wrote a furious review about the club test but later when I reviewed where I went wrong I figured out that, it is not the theory where I am missing the problem is something else.

I want to give you an analogy to understand what that is. Suppose an amateur starts to play chess what he will see is the pieces and how to move them but he will not know all the tactics. Maybe he will even lose the sight of pieces where they are placed amid game due to extreme concentration on some other part of the board. But it does not mean that his brain is dull it means that his brain is still not wired for that. what does wired means here is that he can not spot the common patterns quickly, yet.

The problem what I am facing is I am doing well in 600-700 level range but when it comes to 700+ I think I am not wired and I think one cannot be wired for the 700+ since each question is a stand-alone question and requires some cognitive thinking which takes time. Maybe after going through 100s of 700+, I could say there is a pattern too but for time being I have to stand at 700+ and invest some brain there to find the pattern which costs time in the actual test. I don't have time to go thru 100s of 700+ to wire my brain so what I have decided is I want Q49 for which best range to practice questions is 600-700.

I have gone thru all OG tags 600-700 here is where I want your help I want you to spot me what type of question bank I should practice to know all common pattern in Q49 range so that I don't have to lose time in making the mental picture and doing the cognitive thinking.

Side note.
I am not running away from nor I am afraid of 700+ given more time I could crack them easily but I am being smart here by saving time, rather than getting the punch on the face and learn from it "I want to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee".
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [3]
Send PM
Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
alitariquet wrote:
ok Karishma I have read your posts and found out that you are better at understanding the internal working of mathematics (QUANT) in connection with GMAT then anybody else in this forum. The problem with me is that this is my first ever CAT test in life so I went head on brute force with GMAT which is to "know all to solve all" but I think GMAT is ocean and this strategy is taking me nowhere. I have gone thru all the basic quant requirement from reputable resources and my concepts are fine.

so here is the problem i gave the GMAT club test and scored 8/31 correct and wrote a furious review about the club test but later when I reviewed where I went wrong I figured out that, it is not the theory where I am missing the problem is something else.

I want to give you an analogy to understand what that is. Suppose an amateur starts to play chess what he will see is the pieces and how to move them but he will not know all the tactics. Maybe he will even lose the sight of pieces where they are placed amid game due to extreme concentration on some other part of the board. But it does not mean that his brain is dull it means that his brain is still not wired for that. what does wired means here is that he can not spot the common patterns quickly, yet.

The problem what I am facing is I am doing well in 600-700 level range but when it comes to 700+ I think I am not wired and I think one cannot be wired for the 700+ since each question is a stand-alone question and requires some cognitive thinking which takes time. Maybe after going through 100s of 700+, I could say there is a pattern too but for time being I have to stand at 700+ and invest some brain there to find the pattern which costs time in the actual test. I don't have time to go thru 100s of 700+ to wire my brain so what I have decided is I want Q49 for which best range to practice questions is 600-700.

I have gone thru all OG tags 600-700 here is where I want your help I want you to spot me what type of question bank I should practice to know all common pattern in Q49 range so that I don't have to lose time in making the mental picture and doing the cognitive thinking.

Side note.
I am not running away from nor I am afraid of 700+ given more time I could crack them easily but I am being smart here by saving time, rather than getting the punch on the face and learn from it "I want to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee".

Ah! The first query on my thread is a challenge! :)
What I get from your post is that you are looking to cover all patterns (or at least as many as you can) of medium-difficult level. For that, OG doesn't really give an accurate picture. GMAT Official practice exams will do a much better job (though not exhaustive). Also, standard test prep companies take care of introducing most patterns over their coursework.

But if I am to be honest, I don't really believe in "questions are made keeping a finite number of patterns in mind" theory. I believe in concepts. After that, give me a question of any new pattern and I will solve it. 700+ level question are harder only because it is more difficult to recognise the concept being tested in them. Application of the same may not be troublesome at all.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 04 Oct 2018, 04:53.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 17 Oct 2022, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Kudos
Karishma-Thank you for taking the time out to answering questions. I have been your follower of your solutions since many years and must say you are a star when it comes to GMAT. So here are my questions.

1. Can you share inputs on how to get to V44+ from V35/36?
2. How do I move from Q47/48 to Q51?
3. How do I get to 90-100% accuracy both in verbal and quant?

Also, I am guessing you would be having a high score to your credit?

Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [2]
Send PM
Veritas Prep PS Forum Expert - Karishma - Ask Me Anything about Math [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
benignfiend wrote:
Thank you Karishma for taking your time out and helping us.

I recently gave my GMAT and got a very low GMAT score. I was more disappointed with my Q 47. On the test day, I took more than 2 mins on tougher questions especially DS. I had problems solving DS since the start of my prep. GMAT club quant tests helped me a lot, but I always fear on DS that I might be missing something else. "Should I plug more ? Did I plug in enough ?" And that attitude ultimately killed my test.

Even though I practiced many questions on this club on Functions and Inequalities, as I am uncomfortable with those topics, on test day, GMAT threw surprises and I succumbed.

Shed some light on to how to stop being overcautious on DS and few tips on handling Functions and Inequalities questions.

Posted from my mobile device

Here is the thing about DS questions - people love to solve them by plugging in numbers and I think that strategy often backfires. Until and unless one is super fast in one's calculations and has an intuitive understanding of number properties and how the behaviour of numbers changes at each transition point, one should not use number plugging. But then, if one does have all those skills, number plugging is not required. Hence, all in all, in my opinion, it is a lose-lose proposition.
I am not saying that number plugging is useless:
- I agree that for easier questions, number plugging could work (though it might take more time than the more logical approach).
- Also, for harder questions, it can help you understand the problem and figure out the logic/pattern.
- It also helps you weed out special cases such as n = 0.
But the dependence we often have on this approach since it seems easy to follow is unwarranted.

Focus on the logic being tested in a question and the issue of "being overcautious" or "missing something" will not arise. Send me some links of functions and inequalities questions that gave you a hard time and I will tell you what I am talking about.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 09 Oct 2018, 00:46.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 17 Oct 2022, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [3]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
apurva908 wrote:
Hi karishma can you help me with following question/ general approach for following type of questions

The probability of the occurrence of event A is 0.50. The probability of the occurrence of event B is 0.40. What is the range of probability A will not happen AND B will not happen?

A. 0.1≤p≤0.5
B. 0.4≤p≤0.5
C. 0.5≤p≤0.6
D. 0.1≤p≤0.6
E. 0.2≤p≤0.5

Solution:

P(A) = .5
P(B) = .4

You need to find P(Neither will happen). Think about the corresponding sets concept. Neither is given by Total - n(A or B)

P(Neither will happen) = 1 - P(A or B) = 1 - [ P(A) + P(B) - P(A)*P(B) ]

We don't know the relation between the events A and B so we don't know what P(A and B) is. Try to think of this in terms of the venn diagram.

To minimise neither, we need to maximise P(A or B). So A and B should have minimum overlap.
Assuming A and B are mutually exclusive events, P(A and B) = 0
P(Neither will happen) = 1 - [ P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)] = 1 - [.5 + .4 - 0] = 0.1

To maximise neither, we need to minimise P(A or B). So A and B should have maximum overlap.
Assuming B is a subset of A , P(A and B) = 0.4
P(Neither will happen) = 1 - [ P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B)] = 1 - [.5 + .4 - .4] = 0.5

Answer (A)
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
paulunso wrote:
Hello Karishma,

I have a very general question on how to simplify arithmetic computations.
I have to compute 0.17*(26.4/1.65). To simplify it I did rewrite it as: 17*264/1650

Now the solution I found to simplify this calculation further more is the following: (17)*(3*8*11)/(3*5*11*10)

Do you have any tips on how to quickly find these factors of the products I want to simplify? I tried it using prime factorization but it takes too long....

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device

Usually, in actual application based GMAT questions, you will not be required to do such calculations. Sometimes, the lower level questions might have a direct calculation such as this one in which approximation would work just fine. It will be a rare question in which you actually need an exact value of this.

To approximate: \(0.17 * \frac{26.4}{1.65} = 1.7 * \frac{2.64}{1.65}\)

Double of 1.65 is a bit more than 3 so 2.64 is about 1.5 times of 1.65.

So we get 1.7 * 1.5

1.7 is a bit less than 2 so our answer will be a bit less than double of 1.5 i.e. a bit less than 3.

If you do the actual calculation you get 2.72 so you are close.

I prefer to stick to smaller numbers rather than make them larger. That is why instead of changing 26.4 to 264, I changed 26.4 to 2.64.

That said, if you do need exact values, remove the decimals to get 17*264/1650.
Looking at even numbers, my first instinct is to divide them by the highest power of 2 i.e. is it divisible by 2 or 4 or 8...
The next obvious common factors are 5/3 then 11 etc...
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618930 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikitamaheshwari wrote:
Hi karishma

Do you have articles on Work Rate and Speed, Distance time and Probability as well?. Will be very helpful if you can share the link.
Also, if there's a list of collated articles of all the topics - Please let me know.

Bunuel - incase you have a list, please share

Thanks a lot!

You can find everything in below two topics:

Check below:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Montyyy95 wrote:
HI karishma, i had a doubt in on question from Veritas prep book;

30% of consumers like only product A, and for every consumer that likes only product B, 3 also like product A. If 18% of consumers like neither product, what
percentage likes both?

Solution
Again draw out the diagrams, paying special attention to the ratio wording (for every consumer that likes B only, 3 like both). Since 48 of the 100 consumers
are accounted for by only A and NEITHER, then 3x + x must equal 52. 4x = 52 and x = 13, so 3x = 39. Both = 39% consumers.

I didnt get the solution; how it inferred the bolded portion?

Hey Montyyy95:

"for every consumer that likes only product B, 3 also like product A"

means for every 1 consumer that liked ONLY B, there are 3 consumers that liked A 'ALSO' which means that these 3 liked B as well as A.
This means ratio of
(ONLY B) : (B and A) = 1 : 3

Hope this clarifies! Let me know.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos