GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 10:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

Very often one hears a person who has become famous

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Very often one hears a person who has become famous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2014, 08:14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:33) correct 24% (01:46) wrong based on 306 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Very often one hears a person who has become famous or successful in their field or endeavor say that they "knew it all along." Although there may be a bit of rosy hindsight in such a claim, the fact remains that self-confidence is an indispensable component of success.

The author of the above passage would most likely agree with which of the statements below?

A. It is not possible to become successful in one's field of endeavor unless one has a certain amount of self-confidence.
B. Self-confidence is an innate trait, and cannot be influenced by such factors as environment and circumstance.
C. What famous and successful people claim, and what is actually the case, are very often two different things.
D. Although there may be successful people who are self-confident, there are many more self-confident people who are not successful.
E. Once a person is famous, self-confidence becomes less important than quotidian considerations such as careful planning and foresight.

Please consider kudos if you like the question. Cheers!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-19-2014
GPA: 3.8
WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Very often one hears a person who has become famous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2014, 21:04
I Dont Agree with the OA.It looks more of a Inference(conclusion) rather than what Author agrees about.
Please explain me the OA ...
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Very often one hears a person who has become famous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2014, 23:16
karna2129 wrote:
I Dont Agree with the OA.It looks more of a Inference(conclusion) rather than what Author agrees about.

Dear Karna2129, I respect your opinion but I will be the wrong person to debate the structure of the question since this is a Grockit question which is now a part of Kaplan. So may be those folks can throw more light on your doubt on the structure of the question.

Let me try and help you with some explanation. Below are 2 versions of the explanation, one official and other mine

OE: The author of the argument says that although there is a bit of after-the-fact confidence in statements like “I knew it all along,” eventual success requires self-confidence. The author, then, would agree with (A), which says exactly this: Success requires self-confidence. We have no idea what the author would think of (B), (C) plays off of the author’s small concession to rosy hindsight but grossly exaggerates the conclusion, (D) suggests the author’s views on whether or not most self-confident people are successful. For all we know, the author may believe that very few self-confident people are unsuccessful. And finally, (E) suggests that the author considers self-confidence more important in achieving success than maintaining it. Again, this is another issue about which we don’t know the author’s thoughts.

My 2 cents: what is the evidence for the author to come to a conclusion that although there may be some some rosy hindsight (understanding of a situation only after it gets completed) but still self-confidence is absolutely necessary? This means that say whatever you want as a reason for your success but self confidence is there to stay and in a way is the actual reason behind your success. And the evidence here is that people give a reason for their success by saying that they knew it all along and not acknowledging the self-confidence part of it. So what if I become successful without self-confidence, then that would weaken my conclusion. So an option that substantiates my claim that self-confidence is indeed necessary will be my answer. Hence A. All other options are either irrelevant or are out of scope.

I hope these explanations helped. Cheers!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 07:50
karna2129 wrote:

Hi,

To quote the author of the argument: " ... is an indispensable component .... "
He clearly says that it's not something you can do without....

Did this help? Please kudos :)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 11:58
OA is rightly inferred. Moreover the problems lies in the source of question as the question has grammatical errors.

Very often one hears a person who has become famous or successful in their [should be singular] field or endeavor say that they [should be singular] "knew it [ where is the antecedent of "it"] all along." Although there may be a bit of rosy hindsight in such a claim, the fact remains that self-confidence is an indispensable component of success.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 02:58
Option A fits the bill more on account of POE. Can someone give the source ?

" The few , the fearless "

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 07:49
spetznaz wrote:
Option A fits the bill more on account of POE. Can someone give the source ?

spetznaz

Its a KAPLAN (formerly Grockit) Question as stated by execnitinsharma

very-often-one-hears-a-person-who-has-become-famous-176321.html#p1393072

IMHO OA is correct !!

The key word to consider here is " Hindsight " , and according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary it means " the knowledge and understanding that you have about an event only after it has happened "

THe author has stated
Quote:
" the fact remains that self-confidence is an indispensable component of success. "

This suggests that Self Confidence is an important and necessary component of success..

This IMHO (A) is good !!

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 21:55
karna2129 wrote:

A is reworded statement of the author’s claim that self confidence is an INDISPENSABLE component of success. This clearly means that according to the author success can not be achieved without some amount of self confidence. Other answer choices add some or the other things which have not even been discussed by the author. Therefore, A is correct.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Very often one hears a person who has become famous   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2019, 21:55

Very often one hears a person who has become famous

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap