It is currently 24 Jun 2017, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Violin Makers in Italy

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2085
Location: New York, NY
Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 13:43
4
This post received
KUDOS
14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:29) correct 37% (01:41) wrong based on 1139 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The antique violins found in the man's attic in northern France were made using the same craftsmanship techniques as those used by Italian violin makers in the 16th century. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, historians hypothesize that the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the historians' hypothesis?

(A) Whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century
(B) Whether travel between northern France and Italy in the sixteenth century would have been primarily by land or by sea
(C) Whether violin makers from northern France could have learned complex craftsmanship techniques from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France
(D) Whether wood-making tools were used in the sixteenth century villages in northern France
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the violins found in the northern French man's attic are still practiced among violin makers in Italy today

Sourced from GMAT Pill Platform CR Question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2013
Posts: 41
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 09:59
7
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Answer:A,
As per Manhattan guide, for evaluation questions the correct answer should offer at least two different “paths,” one that would make the argument stronger and one that would make the argument weaker.

Here A: Whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century.

If yes, they were traded during 16th century than French violin makers have not learned anything from Italian counterparts. - weakening the conclusion
If No , then because crafting was complex to make their independent development in both areas, than French violin makers must have learned it from Italian makers.- Strengthening the conclusion

Hope that helps..
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 22
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 01:47
5
This post received
KUDOS
Major difficulty is between A and E. But here we need to keep in mind that even though italian might have learned some technique from french, it doesnt undermine the probability that the violin design, in question, was learned by the french frm the italians.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1381
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2013, 21:28
3
This post received
KUDOS
GMATPill wrote:
The antique violins found in the man's attic in northern France were made using the same craftsmanship techniques as those used by Italian violin makers in the 16th century. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, historians hypothesize that the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the historians' hypothesis?

(A) Whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century
(B) Whether travel between northern France and Italy in the sixteenth century would have been primarily by land or by sea
(C) Whether violin makers from northern France could have learned complex craftsmanship techniques from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France
(D) Whether wood-making tools were used in the sixteenth century villages in northern France
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the violins found in the northern French man's attic are still practiced among violin makers in Italy today

Sourced from GMAT Pill Platform CR Question


In this question, it is mentioned that neither of the two i.e. French or Italians could have made the violins independently. Moreover, these two regions were having a cultural contact.
Now here is the punchline, from nowhere the author concludes that " the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts" i.e. French were dependent on Italians. HOW?

If there is any reason that can help to prove the punchline correct, then it will be the answer.
Try answering answer choice a with YES.
Rest all are crap.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1997
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2014, 12:14
GMAT Pill rep. Would you please mind sharing with us the OE of this question?

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Mar 2014
Posts: 136
GMAT ToolKit User
Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2014, 09:52
karishma,

Could you pls explain this argument & poe.

Regards,
Ammu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10158
Premium Member
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 11:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 286
Location: India
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2016, 02:35
The argument mentions that the independent development of the violins was possible both in France and Italy since there was cultural contact between them. We have to evaluate the credibility of this statement. "A" poses a question whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century. If violins were traded, then the independent development wasn't there; but if the violins were not traded, then the conclusion is true. So, this is the only answer which will help analyse the credibility of the argument. In Evaluate questions, we assess an assumption behind the conclusion. So, a "yes" out here weakens the conclusion and a "no" strengthens the conclusion. "B" discusses the means to travel which is irrelevant."C" talks about whether the craftsmanship techniques could be learned without leaving France which is again not relevant." D" is completely off-context and "E" talks about the present day usage which is again off-context.
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Director
Director
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Nov 2015
Posts: 561
Location: United States (LA)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 03:32
didn't get the logic behind how option A is the correct one?
Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 286
Location: India
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2016, 00:26
The argument states that the independent development in both areas was unlikely. Hence it was concluded that the French violin makers learnt the techniques from their Italian counterparts. So any answer choice which implies that there was interaction between the French and Italians is the answer. Hence as "A" states if violins were traded from Italy to Northern France then it is possible that the techniques need not be learnt but if there was no trade then it is obvious the French learnt the techniques from their Italian counterparts.
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Posts: 25
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.94
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 21:32
Well, I'm not sure about the explanation yet. I find a great deal of difficulty in evaluate questions. I could not convincingly find the answer in any of the 5 choices. However, I'll restrict my question to answer option (A).

The question asks whether the French learned the techniques from Italians. A correct answer option would be framed in such a way that a Yes would favour either French/Italians and a No would favour the other party.

But answer choice A restricts the scope only to trade, which in my opinion does not convincingly offer the explanation. Consider a 'Yes' to answer option (A). i.e. let's say the violins were traded from France to Italy. This could mean that French didn't learn the technique from Italians. So Credit goes to - The French.
But, this could also mean that French as part of cultural exchange, came in contact with Italian violin makers, learned the technique and then produced violins at a mass scale and exported them to Italy (The reason may be anything - better resource availability, cost effective production etc.). So Credit goes to - The Italians.

Thus, from a yes answer, the credit of having invented the technique could go to either the French or the Italians.

Consider a 'No' to the answer option (A). One way to interpret this is that Italians learned the technique first and were self sufficient in violin production, so they didn't need to import it from France. So Credit goes to - The Italians.

The other way to look at it is, though the French invented the technique, they simply didn't export the violins to Italy, for whatsoever reasons (we needn't worry about that here). So Credit goes to - The French.

So, I simply couldn't resolve the ambiguity between the French or Italians through both a Yes/No. Could some expert help me here?

Thanks.
_________________

If you think this post was helpful, please provide Kudos! Cheers!!!

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 912
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 09:04
This question is exact copy of a CR question available in OG 13 Diagnostic Test. Only the wording is changed. The position of answerd are even kept the same.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 111
Location: India
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2016, 22:15
Marcab wrote:
GMATPill wrote:
The antique violins found in the man's attic in northern France were made using the same craftsmanship techniques as those used by Italian violin makers in the 16th century. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, historians hypothesize that the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the historians' hypothesis?

(A) Whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century
(B) Whether travel between northern France and Italy in the sixteenth century would have been primarily by land or by sea
(C) Whether violin makers from northern France could have learned complex craftsmanship techniques from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France
(D) Whether wood-making tools were used in the sixteenth century villages in northern France
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the violins found in the northern French man's attic are still practiced among violin makers in Italy today

Sourced from GMAT Pill Platform CR Question


In this question, it is mentioned that neither of the two i.e. French or Italians could have made the violins independently. Moreover, these two regions were having a cultural contact.
Now here is the punchline, from nowhere the author concludes that " the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts" i.e. French were dependent on Italians. HOW?

If there is any reason that can help to prove the punchline correct, then it will be the answer.
Try answering answer choice a with YES.
Rest all are crap.



But then how is C wrong in this case? It also does the same thing right??
WHat powerscore has taught us that we go ahead with Yes and No answers to see the impact on the conclusion of the statement. BOTH A and C are doing the same thing.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 May 2016
Posts: 118
CAT Tests
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 22:42
Keats wrote:
This question is exact copy of a CR question available in OG 13 Diagnostic Test. Only the wording is changed. The position of answerd are even kept the same.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


which question number you are refereeing in OG 13 Diagnostic Test.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 May 2016
Posts: 118
CAT Tests
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 23:02
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:
Marcab wrote:
GMATPill wrote:
The antique violins found in the man's attic in northern France were made using the same craftsmanship techniques as those used by Italian violin makers in the 16th century. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, historians hypothesize that the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the historians' hypothesis?

(A) Whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century
(B) Whether travel between northern France and Italy in the sixteenth century would have been primarily by land or by sea
(C) Whether violin makers from northern France could have learned complex craftsmanship techniques from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France
(D) Whether wood-making tools were used in the sixteenth century villages in northern France
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the violins found in the northern French man's attic are still practiced among violin makers in Italy today

Sourced from GMAT Pill Platform CR Question


In this question, it is mentioned that neither of the two i.e. French or Italians could have made the violins independently. Moreover, these two regions were having a cultural contact.
Now here is the punchline, from nowhere the author concludes that " the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts" i.e. French were dependent on Italians. HOW?

If there is any reason that can help to prove the punchline correct, then it will be the answer.
Try answering answer choice a with YES.
Rest all are crap.



But then how is C wrong in this case? It also does the same thing right??
WHat powerscore has taught us that we go ahead with Yes and No answers to see the impact on the conclusion of the statement. BOTH A and C are doing the same thing.



conclusion :- craftsmanship techniques were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts

C ) Whether violin makers from northern France could have learned complex craftsmanship techniques from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France

Ok now Yes and no
Yes and No .....in both cases conclusion is valid ......craftsmanship techniques were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts
yes they can learn from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France...... still corrct that learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts
No they can not learn from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France...... still corrct that learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1205
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 00:56
The antique violins found in the man's attic in northern France were made using the same craftsmanship techniques as those used by Italian violin makers in the 16th century.

historians hypothesize that the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the historians' hypothesis?

(A) Whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century..........if they are traded, then it is not must to learn the technique and vice versa.

(B) Whether travel between northern France and Italy in the sixteenth century would have been primarily by land or by sea.................it does not matter the route of trade.

(C) Whether violin makers from northern France could have learned complex craftsmanship techniques from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France.......whether makers left the office or not for learning is out of concern. They can travel, learn and be back as well.

(D) Whether wood-making tools were used in the sixteenth century villages in northern France...........out of scope

(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the violins found in the northern French man's attic are still practiced among violin makers in Italy today................how they did in the past is our concern not whether they are continuing till now.
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 1246
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 07:27
The antique violins found in the man's attic in northern France were made using the same craftsmanship techniques as those used by Italian violin makers in the 16th century. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, historians hypothesize that the craftsmanship techniques used to make the violin found in the French man's attic were learned by French violin makers from Italian counterparts.

Type- Evaluate
Boil it down - Since French and Italians were in cultural contact, the French learned the craftsmanship techniques from Italian counterparts.


(A) Whether violins were traded from Italy to northern France during the sixteenth century - Correct - If the violins were traded, then it weakens the conclusion else is strengthens - variance test
(B) Whether travel between northern France and Italy in the sixteenth century would have been primarily by land or by sea - Irrelevant - the means of transportation is irrelevant
(C) Whether violin makers from northern France could have learned complex craftsmanship techniques from their Italian counterparts without actually leaving northern France - Irrelevant
(D) Whether wood-making tools were used in the sixteenth century villages in northern France - Out of scope
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the violins found in the northern French man's attic are still practiced among violin makers in Italy today - Irrelevant - whether the techniques are used even today is irrelevant to the argument

Answer A
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 2085
Location: New York, NY
Re: Violin Makers in Italy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 19:18
Top Contributor
Some screenshots from the video explanation - good way to visualize the problem.

Image


Image


Image

Image

Image
Re: Violin Makers in Italy   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2017, 19:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
29 Experts publish their posts in the topic Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable gmatpunjabi 25 12 Sep 2016, 14:15
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic A leading board member of AutoSnip Co., makers of an garimavyas 23 11 Mar 2017, 03:54
10 A violin constructed to have improved sound would sound raven678 12 04 Apr 2016, 00:39
24 CR - Decision Makers priyankur_saha@ml.com 18 26 Aug 2016, 18:55
2 Denoma, a major consumer-electronics maker, had a sizeable mymba99 11 19 Jan 2012, 09:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Violin Makers in Italy

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.