It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 15:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 09:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (01:16) correct 33% (01:32) wrong based on 312 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food enthusiasts. In a recent large study, those who took large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily for two years showed on average a 40 percent lower risk of heart disease than did members of a control groups. Researchers corrected for differences in relevant health habits, such as diet.

Which one of the following inference is most supported by the passage?

(A) Taking large amount of vitamins is probably worth risking the side effects.
(B) Those who take large doses of vitamin XYZ daily for the next two years will exhibit on average an increase in the likelihood of avoiding heart disease.
(C) Li, who has taken large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily for the past two years, has a 40 percent lower risk.
(D) Taking large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily over the course of one’s adult life should be recommended to most adults.
(E) Health food enthusiasts are probably correct in believing that large daily doses of multiple vitamins promote good health.

I dont have the OA
i found this question interesting !!! kindly let me know the Reasoning
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
Re: Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 09:43
I think E, using POE. A, B, C, D infers too much. I think E is the best.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 10:24
I'm hoping it's C :food
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 10:28
Found the answer:

http://books.google.com/books?id=R21YRW ... &ct=result

It's in one of the LSAT books. Question #12.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 11:24
where did you find this one?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 12:26
i will vote for E
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 13:25
My vote for B
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 14:11
B is consistent with the language of the question. Daily dose for 2 years will reduce the risk---- same thing as increasing the likelihood of avoiding heart disease.
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2008, 19:35
when we are dealing with inference questions can we write about the future !!!like can we predict and extrapolate the current scenario !!!!

Between E and B thats why i opted E

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 00:22
Sometimes I come across inference passages where answers such as B are not correct because they state something obvious, not inferred i.e. we already know directly from the passage that the use of vitamin reduces the risk. How to know the difference in such situations?

Please kindly +Kudos if my posts or questions help you!

My debrief: Self-study: How to improve from 620(Q39,V36) to 720(Q49,V39) in 25 days!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 02:08
In my opinion some of the answer choices are not complete in nature. Let me explain why:

(A) Taking large amount of vitamins is probably worth risking the side effects. - Incorrect as this is not supported by the passage.
(B) Those who take large doses of vitamin XYZ daily for the next two years will exhibit on average an increase in the likelihood of avoiding heart disease - In my opinion avoiding is different from merely lowering heart disease by 40 percent hence the choice worded this way cannot be an inference unless it is worded in a different way. Though a very good contender.
(C) Li, who has taken large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily for the past two years, has a 40 percent lower risk. - Good one and the closes to correct answer like B but again names a person that is not part of the passage hence this is where it falters to be the right inference.
(D) Taking large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily over the course of one’s adult life should be recommended to most adults. - This is a broad scope inference as it actually broadens the scope of the vitamin's benefits to all walks of health. Incorrect answer.
(E) Health food enthusiasts are probably correct in believing that large daily doses of multiple vitamins promote good health - Like (D) - This is a broad scope inference as it actually broadens the scope of the vitamin's benefits to all walks of health. Incorrect answer

I would select one between B and C but again either of them are not worded appropriately and I wonder if GMAT would throw such a question? If I were to choose 1 then I would choose B merely for the fact that it does not bring in outside information like C does by bringing in the name of an individual that the passage does not name.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
spriya wrote:
Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food enthusiasts. In a recent large study, those who took large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily for two years showed on average a 40 percent lower risk of heart disease than did members of a control groups. Researchers corrected for differences in relevant health habits, such as diet.

(B) Those who take large doses of vitamin XYZ daily for the next two years will exhibit on average an increase in the likelihood of avoiding heart disease.
(C) Li, who has taken large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily for the past two years, has a 40 percent lower risk.
(D) Taking large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily over the course of one’s adult life should be recommended to most adults.
(E) Health food enthusiasts are probably correct in believing that large daily doses of multiple vitamins promote good health.

We are given an argument with some facts:-
1) XYZ is favorite vitamin among heatl enthusiasts.
2) Taking high dosages for 2 years showed 40% lower AVERAGE risk of heart disease.
3) Researchers also corrected diet among participants.

Possible inference:-
1) Other than diet no change was done. And diet is not the only reason for decreased heart disease likelihood.
2) Vitamins have some essential ingredients known to improve heart health
3) There is a possibility of reducing the risk of heart disease further if the vitamins are taken for long.

(A) Taking large amount of vitamins is probably worth risking the side effects. We don't know if vitamins have side-effects.

(B) Those who take large doses of vitamin XYZ daily for the next two years will exhibit on average an increase in the likelihood of avoiding heart disease. Possible answer choice as it says 'likelihood' and not 'surely'

(C) Li, who has taken large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily for the past two years, has a 40 percent lower risk. May or may not be possible, because we know there is 40% AVERAGE reduction.

(D) Taking large amounts of vitamin XYZ daily over the course of one’s adult life should be recommended to most adults. Not sure if it should be recommended to all adults.

(E) Health food enthusiasts are probably correct in believing that large daily doses of multiple vitamins promote good health. Good health is not equivalent of Heart health

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 11:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
It doesn't get easier than this

ANSWER IS B

Inference by definition is something that can be inferred or in terms of logic "deduced" from the premises. In other words it is a kind of a new belief or evidence that can be formed using already supplied evidences in the argument. Lets analyse 2 important properties of Inference

1) If you have red and blue paint then you can make numerous shades of purple by mixing red paint and blue paint. This individual red paint is a premise and the individual blue paint is another premise. The shades of purple produced by mixing red and blue in different ratios are inferences. Noteworthy is that since pure red or pure blue are not PURPLE, so you cannot call Red or blue as purple ; similarly you cannot call any explicitly defined premise as a inference. Inference can only either be a mixture of the premises or some derivative of it.

2) If you have red and blue paint , you can only make purple paint by mixing them , you cannot make orange paint. For orange paint you will need red and yellow paint. Similarly an inference cannot be made from facts that are absent in the original premises.

Using these two inherent qualities of Inference deduction we can find the answer

The premises of the argument are that vitamin xyz is popular amongst health conscious people and a recent study showed that consumption of large amount of vitamin xyz reduced risk the of diseases in people by an average of 40%.

A) Taking large amount of vitamins is probably worth risking the side effects.
WRONG:- When the original premise doesn't talk about side effect, we cannot create any inference about side effect.

CORRECT:- A beautiful shade of purple . Premise talks about DECREASE in risk of having diseases. Inference taks about INCREASED PROBABILITY OF NOT HAVING DISEASE.
This are essentially the same fact, said in a two different ways. IT's a derivative of premise and thus is the correct inference. BINGO !!

WRONG:- so close, but wrong. First the option is kind of dicey .. 40 % lower risk of what ? getting mugged, getting kidnapped, getting cancer. The argument does not specifies the risk of" WHAT". Even if we assume that the argument is talking about diseases, then we have to keep in mind the the question- who Li is? The premise tells us that study concluded AVERAGE 40% decrease. Is it possible Li is one of the guy who only has 10 % decrease. Is it possible Li is one of the guys who 60 % decrease. Since taking vitamin XYZ results in a range of values that are then then averaged to get a mean value, we cannot take this option as an absolute certainty. In other words red and blue have been mixed randomly, even though you will get a purple you cannot predict what will be the exact saturation, hue and brightness of that purple. All you know that it will resemble some shade of purple.

WRONG:- Again since the premise does not talk about any sort of recommendation, we cannot take it as answer. Its like some saying red and blue were the most popular colours in renaissance painting . WE cannot say that , all we can say is that red + blue = purple.

WRONG :- Argument states that vitamin xyz is a favourite of health enthusiast. It does not talk about their beliefs.

spriya wrote:

I dont have the OA

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 30 Jul 2016, 03:44, edited 2 times in total.
Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 01:10
LogicGuru1 wrote:
It doesn't get easier than this

ANSWER IS B

Inference by definition is something that can be inferred or in terms of logic "deduced" from the premises. In other words it is a kind of a new belief or evidence that can be formed using already supplied evidences in the argument. Lets analyse 2 important properties of Inference

1) If you have red and blue paint then you can make numerous shades of purple by mixing red paint and blue paint. This individual red paint is a premise and the individual blue paint is another premise. The shades of purple produced by mixing red and blue in different ratios are inferences. Noteworthy is that since pure red or pure blue are not PURPLE, so you cannot called any explicitly defined premise as a inference. Inference can only either be a mixture of the premises or some derivative of it.

2) But If you have red and blue paint , you can only make purple , you cannot make orange paint. For orange paint you will need red and yellow paint. Similarly an inference cannot use properties that are absent in the original premises.

Using these two inherent qualities of Inference deduction we can find the answer

The premises of the argument are that vitamin xyz is popular amongst health conscious people and a recent study showed that consumption of large amount of vitamin xyz reduced risk the of diseases in people by an average of 40%.

A) Taking large amount of vitamins is probably worth risking the side effects.
WRONG:- When the original premise doesn't talk about side effect, we cannot create any inference about side effect.

CORRECT:- A beautiful shade of purple . Premise talks about DECREASE in risk of having diseases. Inference taks about INCREASED PROBABILITY OF NOT HAVING DISEASE.
This are essentially the same fact, said in a two different ways. IT's a derivative of premise and thus is the correct inference. BINGO !!

WRONG:- so close, but wrong. First the option is kind of dicey .. 40 % lower risk of what ? getting mugged, getting kidnapped, getting cancer. The argument does not specifies the risk of" WHAT". Even if we assume that the argument is talking about diseases, then we have to keep in mind the the question- who Li is? The premise tells us that study concluded AVERAGE 40% decrease. Is it possible Li is one of the guy who only has 10 % decrease. Is it possible Li is one of the guys who 60 % decrease. Since taking vitamin XYZ results in a range of values that are then then averaged to get a mean value, we cannot take this option as an absolute certainty. In other words red and blue have been mixed randomly, even though you will get a purple you cannot predict what will be the exact saturation, hue and brightness of that purple. All you know that it will resemble some shade of purple.

WRONG:- Again since the premise does not talk about any sort of recommendation, we cannot take it as answer. Its like some saying red and blue were the most popular colours in renaissance painting . WE cannot say that , all we can say is that red + blue = purple.

WRONG :- Argument states that vitamin xyz is a favourite of health enthusiast. It does not talk about their beliefs.

spriya wrote:

I dont have the OA

Very nice explanation LogicGuru1 :-D

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 03:15
Its an inference question we can't bring an outside information - E and C eliminated leaving A B D = course of one's adult life . D eliminated . Side Effects - A eliminated leaving B
IMO its B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 23:57
1. Side effects are out of scope. - Eliminate
2. It's not just a pure restatement of the premises, but rather an inference based on the premises that if daily usage of XYZ vit lowered the risk by 40% of some group of people towards the control group, then it's 100% that any person taking XYZ vits on daily basis throughout 2-year period will have at least 1% less risk of heart diseases than average. - Corrrect.
3. IMO, first problem with this option is that it's too extreme. Li would have no less than 40% less risk than others, which is absolutely incorrect as long as stimulus doesn't give us such a confidence. Second problem is that this option doesn't tell us towards whom Li would have a lower risk, towards an average?or control group? - Eliminate.
4. completely out os scope. recommendations are off the topic. - Eliminate.
5. we cannot deduce what researchers believe is good for health or not. Passage only shares some findings of a particular observations that took place.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 08:52
Hi,

Option B looked good to me at first. But it states that person taking large doze of vitamin XYZ will exhibit on average an increase in the likelihood of avoiding heart disease.

But the passage says, person taking large doze of vitamin XYZ will have 40% lower risk than those who don't.
Say if those who don't have 70% risk, person taking this vitamin will have 30%, but person will not avoid as B says.
There is difference between reducing and avoiding. So i eliminated B.
Had it been, "Those who take large doses of vitamin XYZ daily for the next two years will exhibit on average an increase in the likelihood of reducing heart disease.". I would have chosen B for sure.

Please help.
Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2017, 08:52

Vitamin XYZ has long been a favorite among health food

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap