Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 602 [12]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [7]
Given Kudos: 171
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4586 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
Concentration: Technology, Other
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: VO2 max is more than merely a trendy buzzword for workout aficionados [#permalink]
Why Q-1 answer is not E???

I know its stated in the passage but A option adds additional information "fit young adult" whereas the passage is just stating about "athletes"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Re: VO2 max is more than merely a trendy buzzword for workout aficionados [#permalink]
Kudos
lb009 wrote:
Why Q-1 answer is not E???

I know its stated in the passage but A option adds additional information "fit young adult" whereas the passage is just stating about "athletes"

Answer E says: (E) It can be increased by up to 17% through a focused training program.

But the passage does not state that.

The passage says:"The average VO2-max-centered training program sees APPROXIMATELY 17% improvement in measured capacity."

So nowhere in the passage says that it can be increased UP TO 17%. It can be 17,000001 or 17,3. The limit is not 17,0000000%.

I hope it helps you bro.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
(3) A top-level sprinter can run 400 meters in approximately 45 seconds. Based on this information and that contained within the article, assuming that it is correct, which of the following claims can be most reasonably made?

(A) During a 400 meter sprint, a top level athlete's primary energy source is some combination of the phosphagen and lactic acid processes.

Passage :For sprinters, on the other hand, oxygen replenishment is a peripheral concern since the short duration of the activity ensures that almost all energy production relies on the phosphagen or lactic acid processes.

how can i conclude a "cmbnation of phos and lactic acid?? the passage sates either X OR y !!! VeritasPrepBrian VeritasKarishma aragonn generis AjiteshArun carcass ScottTargetTestPrep
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Kudos
(2) In the passage, the author's opinion regarding VO2 max could best be characterized by which of the following statements?
(A) It is a useful indicator of performance for endurance athletes but should be ignored by those with events lasting over thirty seconds.=> The idea after "but" is out of scope
(B) It is merely a trendy buzzword in the athletic community.=> More than merely a trendy buzzword, so it this is incorrect
(C) At least some of its popularity may be due to the increasingly scientific orientation of sports training.=> "VO2 max is more than merely a trendy buzzword for workout aficionados to bandy about. As athletics grows ever more scientific in orientation, measurable indicators of performance grow in importance"
(D) It is a good indicator of the performance of distance runners, cyclists, and weightlifters.=> VO2 max is not good for those of weightlifters
(E) Eventually its popularity as a performance indicator will be eclipsed by other measures.=> Out of scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Can you share the source of the questions? It is not GMAT like at all.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32917 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nimabinia wrote:
Can you share the source of the questions? It is not GMAT like at all.

Source is mentioned in the tags section, Its Veritas Prep.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Hi bartk

I did not understand the passage as you. So that I would like to request your two cents :dazed

bartk wrote:

[textarea](3) A top-level sprinter can run 400 meters in approximately 45 seconds. Based on this information and that contained within the article, assuming that it is correct, which of the following claims can be most reasonably made?

Quote:
(A) During a 400 meter sprint, a top level athlete's primary energy source is some combination of the phosphagen and lactic acid processes.

It's quite tricky and subtle, but that's the correct answer. Because we know that in short duration sports, such as 400m sprint, almost all energy production relies on the phosphagen or lactic acid processes and that the exact method of energy production shifts after approximately thirty seconds of activity, we can conclude that during a 45-second sprint, mentioned processes are the main source of energy for athletes. Notice, that the author by stating almost all energy production relies on the phosphagen OR lactic acid processes doesn't mean that during short exertion ALL the energy comes from one or the other, but if this exertion lasts longer than 30 seconds, its source of energy is a combination of these. See it this way:

|Beginning of the sprint| -> during the first 30 seconds athlete's energy comes from lactic acid processes -> |ENERGY PRODUCTION SHIFT| -> during the last 15 seconds athlete's energy comes from phosphagen processes -> |End of the sprint|

So we can see that during 45-second sprint, the athlete at first uses energy from LC processes and later from P processes. Thus, it's a COMBINATION of different energy sources.

Compare your explanation and the passage.

Quote:
For sprinters, on the other hand, oxygen replenishment is a peripheral concern since the short duration of the activity ensures that almost all energy production relies on the phosphagen or lactic acid processes. While the exact method of energy production shifts after approximately thirty seconds of activity, this general rule holds true for any athlete where the period of exertion is less than approximately two minutes. Short distance runners and swimmers, weight lifters, and those participating in team sports where individual effort varies over time are all examples of athletes for whom oxygen uptake primarily affects the length of the recovery period following exertion. In these cases a training program centered on VO2 max may not provide optimum results.

I understand that
Fact = For sprinters, on the other hand, oxygen replenishment is a peripheral concern since the short duration of the activity ensures that almost all energy production relies on the phosphagen or lactic acid processes.

General case = While the exact method of energy production shifts after approximately thirty seconds of activity --> meaning that sometime all energy production will shift to rely on other things rather than the phosphagen or lactic acid processes after 30 secs.

Exceptional case = this general rule holds true for any athlete where the period of exertion is less than approximately two minutes

Then, how we know that sprinter is the exceptional case?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts