Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Should this forum be split into SC, CR, and RC sub-forums?

80% [17]
14% [3]
4% [1]
0% [0]
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3825 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Vote - Should We Change the Structure of Verbal GMAT Forum? [#permalink]
Kudos
Yes
it will be hepful for future users also as navigation will be far easier
guys, pls vote

botirvoy wrote:
If possible, it would be much more useful to separate questions according to source (say, GMATPrep, G-club, and the rest).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 341 [1]
Concentration: International Business
Send PM
Kudos
nitya34 wrote:
Yes
guys, pls vote

botirvoy wrote:
If possible, it would be much more useful to separate questions according to source (say, GMATPrep, G-club, and the rest).

Yes, I too agree that segregating it on the basis of source will be good from navigation perspective but I feel that separation should first be on the basis of question type (SC/CR/RC).

Any further division (I guess, just one more :) according to source) will make it just perfect.

Regards,
Technext
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Technext wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
Yes
guys, pls vote

botirvoy wrote:

Yes, I too agree that segregating it on the basis of source will be good from navigation perspective but I feel that separation should first be on the basis of question type (SC/CR/RC).

Any further division (I guess, just one more :) according to source) will make it just perfect.

Regards,
Technext

ease of navigation is a minor luxury compared to some of the other benefits. Often, say, GMATPrep questions are posted without citing the source - this will result in biased test results. Segregating such prominent sources would help.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
ease of navigation is a minor luxury compared to some of the other benefits. Often, say, GMATPrep questions are posted without citing the source - this will result in biased test results. Segregating such prominent sources would help.

What other sources would you suggest would be valuable to identify?
I see the point of GMATPrep since it is the only real test with real questions, but why bother with OG or Kaplan, or others?

About ease of navigation - suggesting a sub-forum to a sub-forum of a forum will be hard to navigate for new members who may not be as familiar with the layout. Also, if only one question is posted in each of the sub-forums, then you will have to visit 3 sub-forums vs. staying in one, so navigation-wise, having additional sub-forums would be a negative.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I had also suggested the similar thing in one of my previous posts. Kindly classify the verbal questions into 3 categories. This will help us in practicing on our wea areas better.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Kudos
Hi mates,

agree with all of you that support to split the forum into RC/CR/SC

however, I don't think splitting the forum according to the source is very useful.

And also, I think it's easier for moderators to classify the questions already posted among the 3 types than among the source (BTW, that task must be a nightmare)

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

What other sources would you suggest would be valuable to identify?
I see the point of GMATPrep since it is the only real test with real questions, but why bother with OG or Kaplan, or others?

About ease of navigation - suggesting a sub-forum to a sub-forum of a forum will be hard to navigate for new members who may not be as familiar with the layout. Also, if only one question is posted in each of the sub-forums, then you will have to visit 3 sub-forums vs. staying in one, so navigation-wise, having additional sub-forums would be a negative.

bb,
I guess, segregating according to source would make copyright thing even more problematic. Furthermore, of course, it is of little value to have 5 folders for 5 different sources. I like how MGMAT forum approaches such segregation; they have "general folder", "MGMAT folder", and "GMATPrep folder".

re separating according to SC, CR, RC: although there are clear benefits for doing so, I believe this will lead to fragmentation of forum participation. I find it undesirable.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Voting is finished. We'll be moving forward with the new structure and expect it to be in place by end of weekend.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
I will probably be the only one to say that segregating into different directories is a bad idea.

It does make navigating a whole lot easier, but I like the fact I can browse through one forum and answer any verbal questions in any order, regardless of question type.

This is good practice, and somewhat simulates GMATPREP as it doesn't give you all the same question types in a row. It forces you to switch gear and giving you good practice in handling all different type of questions. Though, I must admit I don't really read any RC questions though :oops:

What I think we really need is a mechanism to force the Original Poster to post an OA after a certain amount of time (2-3 weeks). So many good questions are posted, but then become useless threads (in my opinion) because the Original Poster is just too lazy/inconsiderate/forgetful to post the OA. This I think really hinders the learning of others, and we are left wondering.

For example - we should have a input box that takes in the OA from the Original Poster and stores it in memory, and then after 2-3 weeks, use a bot to spit out the answer in as a post. Therefore, we are not dependent on the poster to come back with an answer. Not sure how feasible this is, but this would be pretty cool :-) It'd be best if there's an OE, but I don't think that's realistic.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
bigfernhead wrote:
I will probably be the only one to say that segregating into different directories is a bad idea.

It does make navigating a whole lot easier, but I like the fact I can browse through one forum and answer any verbal questions in any order, regardless of question type.

This is good practice, and somewhat simulates GMATPREP as it doesn't give you all the same question types in a row. It forces you to switch gear and giving you good practice in handling all different type of questions. Though, I must admit I don't really read any RC questions though :oops:

What I think we really need is a mechanism to force the Original Poster to post an OA after a certain amount of time (2-3 weeks). So many good questions are posted, but then become useless threads (in my opinion) because the Original Poster is just too lazy/inconsiderate/forgetful to post the OA. This I think really hinders the learning of others, and we are left wondering.

For example - we should have a input box that takes in the OA from the Original Poster and stores it in memory, and then after 2-3 weeks, use a bot to spit out the answer in as a post. Therefore, we are not dependent on the poster to come back with an answer. Not sure how feasible this is, but this would be pretty cool :-) It'd be best if there's an OE, but I don't think that's realistic.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas - the plan is to split the forum for 30 days and then get another measurement of user input.
(I am probably another person who is against the split, but I don't participate much in this forum, so my opinion does not count :wink: )

About the OA - there is a change we can make fairly painlessly - it is called Hidden text - by default a section or a line or a word can be hidden and would require you to click on a button to make that portion visible. That means you would not see the answer if you did not want to, but you easily can, so I don't know if that misses the whole point.

Another thought is to create a reminder that would remind the user to post the OA and Explanation, but I don't know how feasible that is.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
If segregating the GMAT forum by different categories displease some people, then is there a way users can search/filter by different categories?

For example, if a post in GMAT forum has some kinda "label" (as additional field in the database table) that identifies this post as "GMAT Verbal - SC" or something, then the user can just filter for only SC questions if he/she wants to.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:

About the OA - there is a change we can make fairly painlessly - it is called Hidden text - by default a section or a line or a word can be hidden and would require you to click on a button to make that portion visible. That means you would not see the answer if you did not want to, but you easily can, so I don't know if that misses the whole point.

Another thought is to create a reminder that would remind the user to post the OA and Explanation, but I don't know how feasible that is.

I think it can work, as long as it doesn't impact participation from others because the OA is readily available. I'm just afraid that if people see the OA early, then they would be less likely to respond, and just move on. But I think people here are generally very good in participating regardless. There are some really excellent members here. :-D
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
bigfernhead wrote:
bb wrote:

I think it can work, as long as it doesn't impact participation from others because the OA is readily available. I'm just afraid that if people see the OA early, then they would be less likely to respond, and just move on. But I think people here are generally very good in participating regardless. There are some really excellent members here. :-D

Here is how it would look just for a point of reference:
https://www.absoluteanime.com/forum/vie ... 95&t=30329

Click on [Reveal] Spoiler:

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts