Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Re: Waitlist - Best Practices Compilation 2007-8 [#permalink]
Quick questions:

Since I have been wait-listed at MIT, should I send a "Thanks for WL" mail now. Or include it in my planned mails to follow beginning about one month from now.

Also - I understand that current students can be requested to directly (?) send in notes of endorsement. Are there any guidelines on a maximum for these - as long as they are spread over a few months?

Thanks. Good luck WLers :-D

Edit: One more thing - Given the longer wait, any practice in the specific context of R1 WL?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Bdevil25, I am in the same boat, so I cannot answer from past experience, but can only answer from what I am doing myself.
Yes, your letter looks well-planned.

collegesenior wrote:
Quick questions:

Since I have been wait-listed at MIT, should I send a "Thanks for WL" mail now. Or include it in my planned mails to follow beginning about one month from now.

Also - I understand that current students can be requested to directly (?) send in notes of endorsement. Are there any guidelines on a maximum for these - as long as they are spread over a few months?

Thanks. Good luck WLers :-D

Edit: One more thing - Given the longer wait, any practice in the specific context of R1 WL?

senior - I waited some time, but that was because I got WL. just before christmas vacations. And then, I started thinking that it was too
late for just a "Thanks for WL" letter, so I merged it with a longer mail.

Now, my dumb self did not know about the "notes of endorsement" from the current students . I know some students personally (like friend of friend), and
this is why I dumped the idea of getting endorsed from them. Is this dumb ..? Should I ask them to do it despite the fact that we don't know much
about each other ..?
My friend could probably put in some good words about me in a mail to the adcom, but my fear is when/if the adcom probes into how long/well
do we have known each other etc. ...any comments ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Had my f/b with Cornell today. Cannot add any new general information about the decision timeframes, rampup posted all details in his post. After having given the general information, I was asked if I knew why I was waitlisted, and not to my surprise, I knew it, it was what I thought it'd be.
Call lasted for 20 minutes, the conversation was straight forward, informative and certainly useful.

Now, God help me! there are no 'actions' I can take to help my case, it is just how well can I explain my position.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
should the additional letter/ essay be sent via e-mail or as a hard copy via courier??

plus d school tht has put me on wl has no system of givin specific feed back bout how to improve one's appl. should i anyways call and aks them for it??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
satbirmultani wrote:
should the additional letter/ essay be sent via e-mail or as a hard copy via courier??

plus d school tht has put me on wl has no system of givin specific feed back bout how to improve one's appl. should i anyways call and aks them for it??

I myself am undecided about how to send the reco. letter, but I'd call the school and ask. And for the feedback, I'd definitely call and ask if there is a process in place for getting feedback(rather than directly asking for it at the first place), that should not do any harm.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Few questions... I'm going to apply for Kellogg's 1Y program during R3. From what I've heard, this is pretty much a super long-shot especially because it's 1) R3 and 2) the 1Y program which begins in late June.

If it says that decisions won't be made until May 12th, does this mean I may hear the decision before? Or by no chance will you hear anything until May 12th?

Also, I have a lot of unique strengths but my GMAT score is my weakest link. I can't realistically retake the GMAT and score well by the March 7th deadline, BUT could I retake it in say early April then forward on that (hypothetically) higher score? Will they take that? Would you advise that? I've read a lot about people who have been WL'd and how some try to retake the GMAT in hopes to sway their decision.

Thanks for any advice!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
very good stuff thanks for the info
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmat_march: did you ask cornell how many ppl are on the waitlist? that's something i forgot to ask...

i suspect there are quite a few people. if you glance at the BW cornell threads, it seems like a lot of people are saying they got waitlisted. then again, all of cornell's waitlisters could have posted on BW, or maybe only a small fraction. too hard to say i guess. i just have a feeling it'll be tough getting off their waitlist.

sigh...wish i had an admit. :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rampup82 wrote:
gmat_march: did you ask cornell how many ppl are on the waitlist? that's something i forgot to ask...

i suspect there are quite a few people. if you glance at the BW cornell threads, it seems like a lot of people are saying they got waitlisted. then again, all of cornell's waitlisters could have posted on BW, or maybe only a small fraction. too hard to say i guess. i just have a feeling it'll be tough getting off their waitlist.

sigh...wish i had an admit. :(

Nop I did not :( . But I read somewhere that last year, they had over 50 ppl. in the waitlist in all ...so may be this year,
by now, they will have may be 30-40 ppl. ....just a wild guess...

Man ..I just don't want to think about the chances..I am just doing what I can and pinning no hopes ..!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD, SO I FIGURED I WOULD ADD IT TO ANOTHER APPLICABLE THREAD.

For everyone else who has received the general WL feedback, I say don't tell them you are retaking the GMAT unless you get a higher score. If you do as good or worse than your highest score, I don't see admissions admitting you based solely on the effort of retaking the GMAT. You are just drawing attention to a lower score, and they are looking for a higher score, hands down. However, if you put together a package of materials--such as a letter of recommendation (an alum would be ideal), an essay restating your interest in the school, or something completely outside the box that will WOW! the adcoms--then you could put a copy of your score report in there just to show them that you did give the GMAT another shot. Something like the package that I described shows a strong, genuine interest in the school--despite the fact that your GMAT did not improve.

My plan will not guarantee admittance, but it might give you a better shot by separating yourself from other WLers who don't show quite as much determination as you do.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
good advice dj!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER THREAD, SO I FIGURED I WOULD ADD IT TO ANOTHER APPLICABLE THREAD.

For everyone else who has received the general WL feedback, I say don't tell them you are retaking the GMAT unless you get a higher score. If you do as good or worse than your highest score, I don't see admissions admitting you based solely on the effort of retaking the GMAT. You are just drawing attention to a lower score, and they are looking for a higher score, hands down. However, if you put together a package of materials--such as a letter of recommendation (an alum would be ideal), an essay restating your interest in the school, or something completely outside the box that will WOW! the adcoms--then you could put a copy of your score report in there just to show them that you did give the GMAT another shot. Something like the package that I described shows a strong, genuine interest in the school--despite the fact that your GMAT did not improve.

My plan will not guarantee admittance, but it might give you a better shot by separating yourself from other WLers who don't show quite as much determination as you do.

Well put. Thank you for your opinion on the topic. When you say package of materials, do you mean literally send them something (i.e., UPS/Fed Ex), or simply through email? From the perspective of recommendation letter, how can we send that in, having it look official (i.e., I didn't send a rec in that I wrote and signed someone else’s name)?

I’m trying to work myself off of the Stern waitlist.

Cheers-
RG
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know much about the NYU Stern waitlist?

There's no feedback available is there?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
Does anyone know much about the NYU Stern waitlist?

There's no feedback available is there?

I met a stern Waitlister a few days back, he said their office wasn't willing to give any feedback ...
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [2]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM