It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlisted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.76
Waitlisted [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 17:21
Was recently notified that I've been waitlisted at Columbia. Curious whether anyone else has experience with that. Also, any ideas as to why?

GMAT: 760
GPA: Duke 3.8
Work Experience: Middle-market M&A IB (4 years)

Any advice appreciated! I'm most interested in a value investing career, so CBS is a top choice for me. Thanks!

Last edited by levenbreechvor on 07 Dec 2016, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: CBS '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Reviews Badge
Re: Waitlisted [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 17:36
levenbreechvor wrote:
Was recently notified that I've been waitlisted at Columbia. Curious whether anyone else has experience with that.

Also, any ideas as to why? Is it most likely a fault in my candidacy, or a question of whether I'd accept and an effort to boost yield.

Any advice appreciated! I'm most interested in a value investing career, so CBS is a top choice for me. Thanks!

Don't want to sound harsh but it's definitely not the latter. Look at some of the dings and you'll see that lots are coming from finance and most have 740+ with solid GPAs. Columbia also tends to really like years of experience and a clear vision as to why an MBA, why now and why at CBS. You're in an extremely competitive group. My guess is that they are waiting to compare you with other banking guys, keep in mind we're just into their full attention on RD. If you're really set on Columbia I'd definitely stay on it cause i've heard of people getting accepted so it's not that uncommon. Best of luck man, hope to see you in August.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2016, 20:15
levenbreechvor wrote:
Was recently notified that I've been waitlisted at Columbia. Curious whether anyone else has experience with that. Also, any ideas as to why?

Your stats are really good and I have gotten a number of people in this year already with worse stats / professional background. Do you do anything outside of work? I would have to look at your application to determine if it was something in the app. I see you removed part of the post, but don't worry about it. This is something that does happen from time to time, but it is generally because there isn't enough interest shown through the application.

Contact me to get a more detailed opinion: scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 00:25
My guesses are one or more of the following: that you maybe didn't fully articulate how you could add value to the class, your reference letters might have been inconsistent with the rest of your application, the essays are poorly executed, your career goals are either unclear, unrealistic or too many other people want the same thing. Or, they might have gotten just a lot of people with your profile and similarly high stats. Plenty of applicants applying to Columbia with an investment Banking background. I'll be willing to take a look at your application of you like.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 76

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 10:44
Thanks all. Heard back today that I've been rejected off the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone else applying!

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 13:43
levenbreechvor wrote:
Thanks all. Heard back today that I've been rejected off the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone else applying!

Did you apply early decision? They notified you that you were removed from the waitlist in just like 10 days?

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2017, 13:26
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
levenbreechvor wrote:
Some of it may be the timing of when you applied. The later you apply, the lower your odds since they are already filling up the class as they go and if they have enough i-bankers at some point they may just stop considering you. That's my best guess with this limited information as I think if you had applied in Sept with these stats I think you could have had a different outcome. The other suspects have been mentioned... are your recommenders going to bat for you? Is there something inconsistent in your application? Are you involved outside of work? Did you convey your knowledge of the program in the application? These are some of the other reasons that could be in play but I suspect more than anything you may have just been too late to the party this year. Happy to follow up if you want to reach out for a profile review and we can dig deeper...To do that... follow up here: http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/

Your stats are really good and I have gotten a number of people in this year already with worse stats / professional background. Do you do anything outside of work? I would have to look at your application to determine if it was something in the app. I see you removed part of the post, but don't worry about it. This is something that does happen from time to time, but it is generally because there isn't enough interest shown through the application.

Contact me to get a more detailed opinion: scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 37

Re: Waitlisted   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2017, 13:26

Waitlisted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: bagdbmba

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap