GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 09:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Waitlisted at Cornell Johnson- R1 - What should I be doing?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Waitlisted at Cornell Johnson- R1 - What should I be doing?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 03:43
Hi,

I got an email on the 15th saying that I was waitlisted
The email states:

The Admissions Committee has completed a comprehensive review of your application
materials and would like to offer you a place on the Two-year Ithaca MBA waitlist. We
recognize potential within your application and encourage you to take an active role in
strengthening your candidacy.

At Johnson, we evaluate your application holistically, via academic, professional, and
individual lenses. Throughout the coming weeks, you are encouraged to review your
application in its entirety and identify areas in which it might be further developed. For
additional context in identifying areas for application improvement, please refer to our
admitted student profile and plan to join us for an upcoming waitlist webinar.

Should you prefer to decline your waitlist invitation, please email mba@johnson.cornell.edu
stating that you would like your application to be removed from consideration for admission.

Review of the waitlist will be conducted on an ongoing basis throughout the remainder of the
application cycle. All updates to the status of your application will be reflected via your
online application account.
We thank you for your patience and for your continued interest in Johnson.

My questions:
1) What can I do at this stage to make my application better? Do I re-write my essays and send them? Or do I make a new document outlining some points that probably weren't highlighted enough?
2) What are the general stats around waitlisted candidates? How soon can I expect a reply, what is the general conversion?

Thanks
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Waitlisted at Cornell Johnson- R1 - What should I be doing?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 03:50
First of all what is your GMAT as compared to the average? And if you are over-represented is it 20 over the average? If not this is kind of an invitation to retake the GMAT.

If your test score is on point, have somebody review your application who is a professional. Doing this yourself is very unlikely to get at the answers because a fish doesn't know what water looks like.
The good thing about this is that it will help you shape how you need to approach your waitlisting effort, and also inform your approach for future applications.

Likely there's a problem with your application meaning the recommendations or essays, CV, or your goals, and often a good way to remedy this is to offer more evidence of your leadership ability something like that. What you'll want to do is create an update letter, you don't want to rewrite the essays that's going to undermine your credibility quite a bit.... take a targeted not comprehensive approach.

http://mbaprepcoach.com
Intern
B
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 05:44
How is a 730 score not enough for Cornell? Do you have a good amount of community involvement in the last 2 years?
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 05:49
Ari7 wrote:
How is a 730 score not enough for Cornell? Do you have a good amount of community involvement in the last 2 years?
Ari7 I'm on my phone and I wasn't able to see his profile stats. 730 should definitely be competitive, even for someone who is over-represented. So in that case I think it would make sense to look at other dimensions, Community leadership is part of that but also work experience quality and quantity. TOEFL if that applies. And then of course poor execution of essays or CV or recs...which is generally vastly underrated in terms of reasons for waitlisting and rejection

http://mbaprepcoach.com
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 06:54
Ari7 wrote:

I would think so - I teach at a school before work almost every morning. Thats just this year though.
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Waitlisted at Cornell Johnson- R1 - What should I be doing?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 07:02
I would def get your profile and essays checked by an MBA prep coach. Maybe you are just not highlighting it enough. Many mba prep coaches provide a free profile evaluation followed by a 30 min free phone call. Even if you can’t afford them, it would be worthwhile to have that initial chat as it will give you a fresh perspective from an experts point of view. Perhaps MBAprepcoach can help you out for a bit. I am sure that you are missing something in your application that’s not giving the Adcoms a holistic picture. 730 is a very good score for Cornell IMO.
Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Duke '21 (WA)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 09:18
Hi guys,

I got waitlisted in R2 w/o interview. My GMAT is 710, GPA 3.77 from NYU. I am an Indian female with work experience in NYC and Bangalore. I am working in policy advisory and looking to pivot to social impact, specifically CSR and impact consulting post MBA. I would really like to get off the waitlist at Johnson so I would love to get your advice on what to do. Its been recommended to send a "plan of action" to the adcom and they will tell you if anything is missing. Personally, since Johnson only required one LoR (2nd was optional), I am thinking of getting another LoR highlighting my leadership potential and how much I have grown in my role, despite facing difficulties. But is this enough? Also, I have been working at my current job for one year only and my 1st rec was already from the Director at my workplace. I am thinking of getting another manager to write this 2nd rec. I know he will give a different perspective as he has a diff background from my 1st recommender and a different relationship with me. But I also felt, as I worked through more Jan due date apps, that my goals were too lofty for me (I said I want to work at Bridgespan in the short term). Is it a good idea to shift that a bit now? Or will I look flakey?And then, finally, in essence, I felt my Jan due date apps were better and showed my learning gaps and explained the Why MBA part more clearly than my Nov Cornell app. Is this something I can work through via my update? If yes, how do you suggest I do this? Any other parts of my profile you think I am just missing?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Waitlisted at Cornell Johnson- R1 - What should I be doing?   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 09:18

Waitlisted at Cornell Johnson- R1 - What should I be doing?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: vinayakvaish, chanjaso