It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.51
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)
Re: Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 21:37
Background and nationality: Afrcan-American, Male, 26 Y.O. (will be 27 by the time I apply; applying next year for 2019 matriculation)

Undergrad Information: Emory University, BA in Economics, 3.51 GPA

GMAT: 700 Q48, V39, AWA-6, IR-8

Work experience and leadership: Obtained my series 7 and 63 and then worked for 2 years at an online brokerage firm as a trader. Currently work at BB investment bank doing both project management and business analyst work. Have been here for 2 years. In the process of moving to a more front office role.

Community and others: Co-founded an organization that provided free ACT, SAT, LSAT, GRE, GED and High School Graduation test tutoring, financial literacy, writing critique services, and assistance in filling out financial aid forms in Atlanta. Since leaving Atlanta, am currently involved in a local mentor program in the city of Jacksonville, serving as a mentor to young boys in underrepresented communities.

Post MBA goals: Ultimately, my career goal is to close the opportunity gap that exists for people who look like me and grew up where I did. The avenue through which I want to do this is by developing social impact businesses that solve development challenges and offer career opportunities that can change the wealth paradigm both in America and in Ghana.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 17

GPA: 3.5
WE: Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 21:50
24 yr / Inidan/ Female

UG: 60% - Electronics and Comm engineering

WE: Co-founder and President of NGO for the past 3 yrs
Under my leadership
-Organised national level training program by the Govt of India for two consecutive years,120+ participants from the country participated
-conducted various awareness programs in schools and college, including inter schools competitions
-established first and only rescue and rehab center in the north karnataka region
-successfully working in collaboration with district administration, municipal authority and police dept
and a bunch of other events organised. Literally, built the org from scratch.

Honorary Officer by Govt of India

GMAT: yet to give - aiming for 720+

Extra-curricular:
- actively participated/-ing in Clean India Mission-Ballari - wall painiting, awareness talks, suggesting innovative steps to tackle problems in association with district administration
- have organised free english classes for slum children around our centre
- sewing - does it sound out of context? i love to sew, though i never learnt it formally, have designed & stitched a lot for myself

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:
- open the first self sustainable world class charity hospital for stray animals in our district
- work on bringing CSR funds into animal welfare
- Help other NGOs with required resources to scale up

Long term:
- Expand the charity hospital
- Fund and facilitate research on alternative meat
- work on CSR initiatives

Background for my background:
i have always been an animal lover since childhood, and always had a dream to have a big property filled with animals, well fed and well taken care of. I always thought that it was something to be done when i was 50+. Back then, i never new what the word "NGO" meant or never visited one or heard one. A very tragic incident when i was 19 yrs old, made me realize it was now, that i need to start one, and i did, from scratch.

VP
VP
B

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 19:18
alandizzle wrote:
Background and nationality: Asian, male, 27 y.o.

Undergrad Information: San Jose State University, Finance, 2.9 GPA (no excuse for the GPA. I was serving for the army full time, but that doesn't excuse the GPA)

GMAT: 650 (diligently working hard to improve this since I have a subpar GPA)

Work experience and leadership: Top aerospace and defense company. Finance (two promotions in four years) part of the FLDP (finance leadership development program). Served for the United States Army for 8 years, 5 years as a squad leader (4 soldiers under my command)

Community and others - leadership roles within my FLDP at work. Started my own outdoor community group in which we educate young professionals about the wilderness and leadership. We volunteer doing river clean ups, trail clean ups, etc. I also run my own charity through my professional photography work in which 90% of proceeds from all sales go toward three charities (Wounded Warrior, Second Harvest Food Bank, and The Sierra Club)

Post MBA goals - short term (general management within my company and move into strategy); long term (building an organization that
focuses on leadership development and education for kids who live in below-poverty households)

Haas (and Berkeley) is known for valuing some of the quantifiable metrics over some of the softer metrics. Their students have some of the highest GMAT/GPA combination of any top tier schools. This will be one of your biggest hurdles to overcome. You can do that by trying again on your GMAT for 740+ score to offset the low GPA. Given your short-term goal, you may consider some of the distant MBA programs. You will have to quit your job to start a full time program. Unless your company is sponsoring you, the raise you may get from your current company will not offset the cost of attendance.

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 23:54
Background and nationality: Indian, male, 29 y.o.

Undergrad Information: Delhi University, Bachelor of Civil Engineering, 70.3% marks (top 10% of the batch)

GMAT: 740 (Q49 V40 IR7 AWA5.5)

Work experience and leadership: 7 years with the biggest infrastructure company of India. Operations manager for EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction) projects. Team lead for design and execution of EPC jobs.
Have worked in Chicago, IL for one year on a new line of business and in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia as a Design lead.

Community and others - Cultural Secretary of a 15 year old Non-profit promoting dance, drama and music events for bringing about harmony in the community. Also a part time music teacher for under-privileged with 50+ student strength.

Post MBA goals -
Short term (Work in operational optimization roles; operation consulting for infrastructure firms)
Long term (starting a world class cultural institution in India, helping people deal with stresses through creativity. Bringing about a change in the social harmony and creating value at the same time.)

breathe in.. and breathe out!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 165

Schools: Haas '20
GPA: 2.99
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 00:28
asimov wrote:
alandizzle wrote:
Background and nationality: Asian, male, 27 y.o.

Undergrad Information: San Jose State University, Finance, 2.9 GPA (no excuse for the GPA. I was serving for the army full time, but that doesn't excuse the GPA)

GMAT: 650 (diligently working hard to improve this since I have a subpar GPA)

Work experience and leadership: Top aerospace and defense company. Finance (two promotions in four years) part of the FLDP (finance leadership development program). Served for the United States Army for 8 years, 5 years as a squad leader (4 soldiers under my command)

Community and others - leadership roles within my FLDP at work. Started my own outdoor community group in which we educate young professionals about the wilderness and leadership. We volunteer doing river clean ups, trail clean ups, etc. I also run my own charity through my professional photography work in which 90% of proceeds from all sales go toward three charities (Wounded Warrior, Second Harvest Food Bank, and The Sierra Club)

Post MBA goals - short term (general management within my company and move into strategy); long term (building an organization that
focuses on leadership development and education for kids who live in below-poverty households)

Haas (and Berkeley) is known for valuing some of the quantifiable metrics over some of the softer metrics. Their students have some of the highest GMAT/GPA combination of any top tier schools. This will be one of your biggest hurdles to overcome. You can do that by trying again on your GMAT for 740+ score to offset the low GPA. Given your short-term goal, you may consider some of the distant MBA programs. You will have to quit your job to start a full time program. Unless your company is sponsoring you, the raise you may get from your current company will not offset the cost of attendance.

Thank you very much for the candid response and the reality check. I'm working my butt off trying to hit 740+ but I realistically won't hit it, and I know I probably won't get into Haas. I've considered trying the part time program as well, my work has mentioned that they'd sponsor me to go as well. I'm not sure if that might be the better route for me, but given my circumstances, that might be the only way into Haas.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 165

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 01:42
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations and have saved my organisation more than INR 40 mil annual costs.
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 03:41
Hi Guys,

Please help evaluate my profile for R1 :

Undergrad: Business Finance in Top school in Southeast Asia

GPA: 3.89
GMAT: 700 (49Q 35V).

Work:
As of now, 2 years experience as management consultant in Big 3
-Worked in Bank transformation project (convincing senior management to implement new org. structure that is already implemented and yield productivity improvement by 30%)
-Worked in corporate due diligence in consumer product industry
-Worked in customer strategy for shopping malls (proposed turnaround strategy for one-loss making malls - $ 3M)

Extracurricular
- Provided pro-bono consulting to social enterprise
- Participated actively in mentorship program for student community
- Coached university business case club members on business case competition and consulting interviews.
- Led training program in office

Short term Goals :
- Return as a consultant (as scholarship candidate) specializing in retail and customer strategy. Gain interest in retail since young from family business (Drugstore chain in Southeast Asian Country). The last project in shopping mall even strengthen my interest in this area and will eventually run the family business in the long-run.
- Wanna gain expertise in Retail and customer centric approaches from MBA, develop leadership styles (as I will start to have more direct reports) and gain exposure to international experiences to broaden my perspective.

Any advice, tips, chances?

Thank you :)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 22:37
Hi Everyone!

I'd love to get some feedback on my profile. I'm applying for Haas in R1 (Sep '17)

Background -
Indian, Male, 28 Y.O.
Undergrad in Chemical Engineering from BITS-Pilani, India (GPA 6.1/10 - this is the biggest problem in my profile I think!).
- Founded the college's Publicity department and the college's soccer team, and played against professional players in the state's soccer league

GMAT - 720 (48 Q/40 V)

Work Experience:
- 6 years in the world's leading travel technology companies, currently working as a Product Manager
- Moved from technical & business support to consulting & project implementation to get closer to product strategy while working with the world's largest airline technology solutions company (100% client facing role)
- Moved to a Product Management role with the largest technology provider to Hotels, working on feature development and product innovation
- Key stakeholder in my Product line's innovation, leading projects related to Machine Learning and Mobility

Post MBA goal - to work as a market facing product manager in a technology company not constrained by the hospitality domain, managing a product's sales, pricing and marketing strategies (key skills I want to learn via MBA)

Additional Info I'd like to mention:
- Volunteered with organisations to provide high quality education to underprivileged children as a corporate liaison, and was also a member of my company's social responsibility board
- Passionate about soccer, design, fitness and nutrition

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thank you!

Last edited by chakraaayan on 04 Sep 2017, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Haas '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 08:28
Hi, I am a little confused with this.

I gave GRE 2 years ago and scored 325 (Q 170, V 155) Quant percentile >90, verbal <80
I gave GMAT a few days ago and scored 730 (Q49, V40) Verbal percentile>90, Quant <80, IR 7, AWA awaiting

Now I am not sure which score I should pick to apply, please help me out.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [2], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
Abhishank wrote:
Hi, I am a little confused with this.

I gave GRE 2 years ago and scored 325 (Q 170, V 155) Quant percentile >90, verbal <80
I gave GMAT a few days ago and scored 730 (Q49, V40) Verbal percentile>90, Quant <80, IR 7, AWA awaiting

Now I am not sure which score I should pick to apply, please help me out.

Hey Abhishank are you wondering which to use because your Quant percentile on the GMAT and your verbal GRE percentile are below the 80th percentile? If I'm remembering correctly a Q49 is in the high 70 percentile so you are pretty close if you are trying to follow the rule I have seen on these forums of being above the 80th percentiles. Not sure about that verbal percentile on the GRE. Just an applicant here but I think you should definitely submit your GMAT score. Your GRE score converts to a lower 710 GMAT, plus it seems that Adcoms give a little more credence to the GMAT if all else is equal. Your score of 730 means Admcoms won't be worried about your number for the rankings. The other question they'll be asking is if you can do the math required for business school. Again just a fellow applicant here, but I'd imagine the Q49 is fine for that since it's so close to the 80th percentile. Plus it seems that as GMAT averages have gone higher and higher the 80th percentile "rule" from before hasn't been as important (just from reading these forums) considering how much the 80th percentile has changed over the years. I think you'd probably be ok anyway but I don't see how submitting your GRE score also to show that perfect quant score can hurt. Most schools I have been applying to allow for me to submit both and am guessing most, if not all, schools that accept the GRE are the same way. The equivalent of a 710 overall is still respectable and quant is always what you hear Adcoms worry about if you're worried about your lower verbal percentile on the GRE. You have the GMAT verbal as evidence of your ability.

Again think you'll probably be fine with your quant score on the GMAT but do you have other quant abilities you can point to? Quant classes with good grades on your transcripts or jobs that require quant skills? That combined with your almost 80th percentile quant score on the GMAT I think will put any worries to rest about your quant abilities (though again I doubt they'll really have them to begin with). Just a fellow applicant's 2 cents but think you'll be totally fine with your GMAT score, but probably wouldn't hurt you to submit the GRE if you want to be double sure they know your quant ability.

EDIT: Saw your same post in the Admissions Consultant forum. From the schools you listed there INSEAD only accepts the GRE if you can't take the GMAT in your country. But they also state that "While we do not have a minimum score required for admission, we advise candidates to aim for a score at or above the 70th-75th percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections of the GMAT." So in terms of INSEAD your GMAT score will be great. I also saw your post saying you got a 730 with only studying for a month and without many books or website resources. If that's the case it might be worth asking in the Admissions Consultants forum if a higher score might help your profile. As just a fellow applicant, I am not sure if it will make a difference or not. A 730 is great and with Round 1 apps due soon for a lot of the schools you mentioned there might not be time to retake. But seeing India on your profile and assuming that puts you in an overly represented demographic I wonder if a higher score might help with Harvard (you are right at the median) and maybe even the other schools (a little above the averages/medians). I hate to say "consider a retake" at a 730 (seems kind of silly), but might be helpful to ask the consultants to weigh in and only if in your mind you think getting a higher score could be a relatively easy investment of time (and you have that time). Think you have a great score but sometimes reading these forums it seems like for Indian applicants ithe admissions process is even more of an unknown, black box.

Kudos [?]: 12 [2], given: 2

Intern
Intern
B

GPA: 3.5
WE: Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 20:49
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
24 yr / Inidan/ Female

Under my leadership
-Organised national level training program by the Govt of India for two consecutive years,120+ participants from the country participated
-conducted various awareness programs in schools and college, including inter schools competitions
-established first and only rescue and rehab center in the north karnataka region
-successfully working in collaboration with district administration, municipal authority and police dept

Extra-curricular:
- actively participated/-ing in Clean India Mission-Ballari - wall painiting, awareness talks, suggesting innovative steps to tackle problems in association with district administration
- sewing - does it sound out of context? i love to sew, though i never learnt it formally, have designed & stitched a lot for myself

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:
- open the first self sustainable world class charity hospital for stray animals in our district

Long term:

i have always been an animal lover since childhood, and always had a dream to have a big property filled with animals, well fed and well taken care of. I always thought that it was something to be done when i was 50+. Back then, i never new what the word "NGO" meant or never visited one or heard one. A very tragic incident when i was 19 yrs old, made me realize it was now, that i need to start one, and i did, from scratch.

Would appreciate if someone reviews my profile.. TIA

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V39
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 20:50
Background and nationality: Afrcan-American, Male, 26 Y.O. (will be 27 by the time I apply; applying next year for 2019 matriculation)

Work experience and leadership: Obtained my series 7 and 63 and then worked for 2 years at an online brokerage firm as a trader. Currently work at BB investment bank doing both project management and business analyst work. Have been here for 2 years. In the process of moving to a more front office role.

Community and others: Co-founded an organization that provided free ACT, SAT, LSAT, GRE, GED and High School Graduation test tutoring, financial literacy, writing critique services, and assistance in filling out financial aid forms in Atlanta. Since leaving Atlanta, am currently involved in a local mentor program in the city of Jacksonville, serving as a mentor to young boys in underrepresented communities.

Post MBA goals: Ultimately, my career goal is to close the opportunity gap that exists for people who look like me and grew up where I did. The avenue through which I want to do this is by developing social impact businesses that solve development challenges and offer career opportunities that can change the wealth paradigm both in America and in Ghana.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

MBA Strategy Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 09:55
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
nikithaiyer5 wrote:
24 yr / Inidan/ Female

Under my leadership

Extra-curricular:

Post MBA goals:
Short Term:

Long term:

Would appreciate if someone reviews my profile.. TIA

Hi,
your strengths are: advanced leadership skills, impactful/measurable results and achievements, relevant career goals (which means they are realistic and achievable)
To make your chances good, target GMAT 740+ scores and develop deep reasoning of why you need MBA Berkeley degree to assure its AdComs

Victoria, MBA Strategy Application Team Lead
Find a Lot of Answers to Top Schools Admissions on Our Blog

B

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 10:01
sefanana wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Hi,
to have better chances you'd advise you to: 1) re-take GMAT; 2) focus on your community/social impact in your application essays; 3) explain the choice of your bachelor's degree and professional career (why did you decide to get an Economics degree? Why trading? Why business analytics? How will this experience help you achieve your goals?)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 15:52
Can you please review my profile for HAAS
Background: Indian Male (25 years of age)
Education: BE IT
Exp: 2.5 years will be 3 years by the time I start the program
Work Type: Software Engineer at Citi Bank
Leadership Experience: Founder of a non-profit organization for underprivileged children
GMAT Score: 760
CGPA: 7.9/10

Please let me know your honest opinion. Open to share any more information if needed.

Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

B

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 10:02
JohnSnow88 wrote:
Background: Indian Male (25 years of age)
Leadership Experience: Founder of a non-profit organization for underprivileged children
GMAT Score: 760

Please let me know your honest opinion. Open to share any more information if needed.

Thank you!

Hi,
YOUR GMAT is good, however I do not know your GPA. As you have gained not so strong professional background, I'd recommend you to underline your extracurricular activities: if they are worth mentioning, they'll make your application competitive. How old is your non-profit activity? Why did you found it? What are the results and impact? Did you build a team for it? What challenges did you face? How did you overcome them? This story could be interesting for Haas AdComs.

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 12:37
JohnSnow88 wrote:
Background: Indian Male (25 years of age)A little on the shy side for age and work experience but other things are strong it could still be possible.
GMAT Score: 760 Well that GMAT score helps!

Please let me know your honest opinion. Open to share any more information if needed. The biggest thing that you need to understand is that this is NOT some kind of equation... where GMAT score + GPA + work = acceptance to Haas! Or any other school! You have some good building blocks- but I have NO idea from this WHY you want to go to Haas. What is it about the culture there that makes you think it can help you achieve your goals- and WHAT are those? I suggest you go deep into understanding Haas-
talk to students there- for tips for researching from afar- read this article: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ram-india/ and for some general tips about the essays at Haas- read this: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... eley-haas/ We have some counselors who are alums of Haas and also many counselors who have successfully coached applicants to success at Haas- to reach out for a free consult go to this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thank you!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 17:26
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am interested in getting an MBA to move from the public to the private sector. Below are details of my profile.

Keep in mind I am a privileged white male. Yet, since I have worked to place underrepresented minorities in management positions and board rooms, so I am applying through Consortium.

Target industries: FinTech as a method of empowerment

GMAT---760
IR- 2
Quant- 48
Verbal-46
AWA- 6

GPA:
3.2 Undergrad GPA
Undergrad majors: Double Major in Political Science and Communication
From top 20 public university
3.85 Grad School GPA
Program: Master in Public Administration from top 10 school

Career:
4.5 years work experience
Director of Communications for a Member of US Congress

Extracurriculars:
Board-member of a membership organization
Part of Mentorship program
Coached youth basketball for two years in college
Completed a National Security course

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jmoney44 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am interested in getting an MBA to move from the public to the private sector. Below are details of my profile.

Keep in mind I am a privileged white male. Yet, since I have worked to place underrepresented minorities in management positions and board rooms, so I am applying through Consortium.

Target industries: FinTech as a method of empowerment

GMAT---760
IR- 2
Quant- 48
Verbal-46
AWA- 6

GPA:
3.2 Undergrad GPA
Undergrad majors: Double Major in Political Science and Communication
From top 20 public university
3.85 Grad School GPA
Program: Master in Public Administration from top 10 school

Career:
4.5 years work experience
Director of Communications for a Member of US Congress

Extracurriculars:
Board-member of a membership organization
Part of Mentorship program
Coached youth basketball for two years in college
Completed a National Security course

Hi there,

I realize you posted this a few weeks ago, but I didn't see any responses specific to your post and wanted to make sure you received some input! A few thoughts both in general and as it relates to Haas:

- Your GMAT is excellent, but your IR score does raise a little bit of a question mark. IR was introduced in 2012 and wasn't entirely considered in its early years, but reports suggest that 59% of schools were at least looking at IR scores as recently as a year or two ago. There's no simple answer with your scores, so the best suggestion is to reach out to the schools you're interested in to inquire about whether there is any concern (or you should possibly even consider re-taking the GMAT) given the 2 on IR. If it were a 4 or higher, then maybe not, and there are stories out there of candidates getting into great programs with very low IR scores, but it's worth school-specific input in this case. As it relates to Haas, they do not specifically reference IR in their current "Academics" video online: https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions/tips.html. But it's worth feeling the programs out.

(There's also a good forum here with views from both sides: https://gmatclub.com/forum/scored-too-l ... l#p1522003)

- Your undergraduate GPA is on the lower end, but that's supported some by your strong GMAT and strong master's GPA. It would be great if your master's degree included quant courses in which you had high grades. (And while your work experience does not outwardly suggest any quantitative work, I'd endeavor to highlight it if there is some there (e.g., perhaps you use statistical or analytical techniques to determine certain communications strategies. Could be an interesting complement.)

- The crux of your challenge and application effort (to Haas and any other program) will center on your story, career goals, why MBA, what that particular program, etc. You already have an MPA and have worked for a several years in the public sphere. Whatever your stated career goals are, you'll need to build a coherent narrative around why who you are and what you've done to this point PLUS the MBA can successfully lead you to your stated (and specific) goals. How did the interest in these new goals evolve? What relevant knowledge, skills, and experience do you already have? What knowledge, skills, and experience do you need via the MBA, and how exactly will you attain them?

- On its face, your transition to FinTech seems rather stark and discconnected. If that is indeed your goal, then you'll really need to tease out and tell the adcom why this evolution makes sense. You don't want your MPA and previous experience to be an "unrelated aside" in your story. They are part of the foundation of what you is now leading you to Haas. You'll want a narrative that explains how everything makes sense *together.* (With that in mind, you might consider career goals that maximize the unique combination of your previous degree and work experience *and* your future MBA. There's a unique combination there. Where will it have its optimal impact?)

- Be very specific -- both with your career goals and your Haas-specific (or school-specific) rationale. You'll usually need to articulate very specific short- and long-term goals. What role at which company or companies, and why? The same way your previous education and experience plus the MBA should lead to your short-term goal, consider how all of those things together will lead you to your (very specific) long-term goal. How **exactly** will the MBA bridge what you did before with what you seek to do after? What courses, clubs, and extracurriculars? What about Haas's culture, community, and unique career opportunities? Do your research, go to information sessions, visit schools (if you can), speak with current students and alumni, and show the programs that you know them very very well, fit well, want to be there, and will make unique contributions. (This is true of every program, and I'd argue that it's even more so the case with Haas, which takes fit and its four defining principles very seriously, and which has the smallest full-time class size for top programs.)

I'd be happy to address any and all of this in greater detail at your convenience. Please feel free to email me at greg@avantiprep.com.

Best Regards,
Greg (Haas '15)

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep

Kudos [?]: 3 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 14:35
Background and nationality: US-born Indian

Undergrad Information: BS Chemical Engineering, GPA: 3.03

Graduate Information: MS Biomedical Engineering, JD Law

GMAT: 760 (Q48/V47/IR6/AWA6)

Work experience and leadership: 1.5 years engineering, 4 years patent attorney, 2 years chief innovation officer & general counsel of startup
Community and others: Event committee of alumni association and a non-profit. Founder and president of a student organization, treasurer of a couple of student organization, commissioner of basketball league.

Post MBA goals: Short term, join life sciences/healthcare technology group of consulting firm, leveraging experience in technology, healthcare, and management to help healthcare technology companies bring innovative products to market. Long term, lead strategy at a large healthcare technology company to drive growth through innovation, acquisitions, and partnerships.

Anything else? 2-year research fellowship during undergrad, where I studied drug delivery systems. Masters thesis on minimally invasive treatments for low back pain. Interests including basketball, improv, rock climbing, and technology.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 14:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Want to get into Haas? Review Profiles here

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aerien, BrushMyQuant

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap