Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GRE 1: Q168 V157
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Requesting a profile review

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Successful completion of 1-month international assignment & placement in HQ
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Project Manager for the first telecom merger in Bangladesh
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:
I finished MBA Math and I scored 100% in all of the MBA Math courses.

Nationality: Bangladeshi

Sex: Male

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello Naseef,
Read your post at multiple forums, so will respond here collectively.
Overall, you have a good profile for your target schools, though your GRE is on the lower side. I would say do not worry too much about the GPA. You can use the optional essay to explain your grades. However, your GRE is on the lower side for most of your target schools, and if possible, you may want to get it a higher by a few points.
Yale MBA will suit your post-MBA goals the most. Besides, the AdCom also prefer applicants with social impact experience.
Work on your stories and application, and if done right, this should see you through most colleges you are applying to.
Hope this helps.
Naseef wrote:

*Background*

Overview:
I’m looking to bring a strong sense of purpose in my career by transitioning fully to social impact. I’ve always wanted to go into social impact full-time, but I needed to build a niche and valuable skillset before doing so. Regarding marketable skills, I feel ready now, but I need an MBA to help me transition.

Work experience:
I'm currently a Product Manager in Internet Business in a Multinational Telecommunications company. I have 5.5 years of full-time experience, all in Telecommunications product management. The firm I work for is one of the top ones in my country, Bangladesh, and is a part of the 10th largest mobile network operator in the world. I've gotten regular, formal awards (Marketing Award for six quarters out of the twelve quarters of my employment till date + Employee of the month multiple times) at work and my portfolio has increased with time. I can back my achievements with solid numbers.

Some career highlights
- Former Management Trainee with fast track progression to Managerial role, within only 2.5 years of my career
- Product Manager for Facebook's Freebasics program in Bangladesh, which focuses on giving internet connectivity to the bottom of the pyramid, launching it for the first time in my country

On the side, I'm a director at my family business which focuses on government and non-profit sector consulting. I do business advisory for non-profits, and one of these non-profits was founded by a Harvard Kennedy alum and an Oxford Said MBA alum. My area of expertise is "mobile tech & communications for development".

Extracurriculars:
During my undergrad, I won multiple international & national awards in social entrepreneurship competitions. One of that was GSEC organized by the University of Washington's Foster School of Business. My team had beat out MIT in that competition. I was also awarded by Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus, for winning Yunus Centre's social entrepreneurship idea competition. I've coordinated nationwide charity drives back in my undergrad, 100+ people reporting to me.

Other coursework:

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:
My GRE total is 328, with a breakdown of 169 in Verbal, 159 in Quant, 4.5 in AW. I'm also done with my TOEFL with a 113/120.
I plan to resit the GRE to raise my Quant, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make the time for it.

Undergrad GPA:
I graduated from the best business school in my country. My alma mater has alums in top business schools all over the world, including the business schools that I plan to apply to.

My 3.13/4 CGPA (Major- Finance) is measly though. I dived into ECAs during my first two years, achieving great success at the expense of my academics. Reprioritized and did very well in academics during my third year. During my fourth year, I contracted Hepatitis E just before my final exams, and my CGPA took a nosedive. My last year’s GPA was 3/4 versus my third year’s GPA of 3.7/4. I had the choice of postponing my studies for a year or taking a bad hit to my CGPA, & I chose the latter due to financial reasons. Anyways, even after taking my horrible fourth year in account, my last two years' CGPA is 3.35/4, so there is an upward trend there.

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:
Working in social impact on the side has actually inspired me to enter social impact full-time post-MBA, perhaps joining my family's business on a full-time basis, and/or starting a sister organization to the family business focused on my area of expertise. My area of expertise, Telecommunications, is very important for social impact in my country, Bangladesh. Our internet connectivity is almost entirely mobile communications dependant.

Working in a large private organization has not given me the training I need to embark on an entrepreneurial venture or engage full-time in expanding a family business. I need an MBA to make me ready.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 1
Send PM
Hey man - I've been looking at Yale hard as an applicant, so I just wanted to give you my thoughts. Although I'm a domestic student, I'm also a product manager trying to overcome a low GPA, so we have some things in common.

Your profile is... difficult... for Yale. Yale has the 3rd highest average GPA of any program after Harvard and Stanford. It's even higher than Wharton, Sloan, Kellogg, Booth, and Columbia. So your 3.13 is a very big issue that needs to be overcome - the 10th percnetile at Yale was 3.34, and you're quite a bit below that. (I'm even further below it - so this isn't to say that I think it's impossible to overcome!) What MIGHT help you here is that I'm not sure if Yale considers international GPA's into their average. Some schools do, some schools do not. If they don't, that will be a big help for you.

However, your GRE is quite low too. Your verbal is wonderful - especially for an international applicant, as your bucket tends to be stronger in quant. However, your quant is pretty tough. Yale adcom have previously stated that they view GRE/GMAT equally, but that they consider the strength of the applicant pool, and the quant GMAT is harder than the quant GRE, and they adjust accordingly (eg: your 70th percentile GRE is more like a 60th percentile GMAT). So you have a lot of room to come up there, and I think you need to if you want to seriously pursue Yale. Especially because you're in a tough bucket, as a SE Asian applicant in IT.

If I were you, I would be focused on bumping up your GRE before anything else. I'd be a lot more confident in R2 with a better GRE vs R1 with your current GRE.

Naseef wrote:

*Background*

Overview:

Work experience:

Some career highlights

Extracurriculars:

Other coursework:

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:

Undergrad GPA:

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:

Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Naseef

I agree with MBBDorBust especially because the range is stated very expressly on the class profile which goes out to all the recruiters. And 159 is on the very bottom of that range which puts you in peril. https://som.yale.edu/programs/mba/admissions/class-profile

I think Yale is particularly fastidious about academics and test scores, I had a client last round who had a 159 verbal which was just one point outside of their range . Well he applied to both Harvard and Yale and got into Harvard but did not even get an interview with Yale and I feel that his application was very strong for both (if I do say so myself). I think the difference was that Yale has a much narrower range for GRE verbal than Harvard !

Of course there could be other factors at play but I do think that Yale SOM are covetous of these numbers as an up and rising program. So quite ironically you might be better off applying to other programs that could potentially be higher ranked but still strong for social impact if they have a more flexible range in the area of the GRE, given that you have MBA math sorted…I would also hope that you have B+ or better grades in math from your undergrad aside from the hepatitis period . Other than quant challenge, very enthusiastic about your profile it's very interesting,

I hope that you can find a GRE tutor who will help you gain some outside perspective of how you are approaching the problems, it becomes a bit of an echo chamber when you continue to try to study on your own. A fish does not know what water looks like. So get outside perspective/strategy so to accelerate this whole timeline with the GRE. You want to have that sorted so you can advance with confidence on your applications; know you are “qualified” for these programs.

TLDR; pay attention to GRE range; make sure you are well positioned there if ORM; might have better odds where the range is broader.

Naseef wrote:

*Background*

Overview:

Work experience:

Some career highlights

Extracurriculars:

Other coursework:

*Stats*

GRE & TOEFL Score:

Undergrad GPA:

*MBA Info*

Goal of MBA:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Background and nationality- Indian male, 24 year old, B.Tech

Undergrad Information- B.Tech from Delhi College Of Engineering, GPA- 4 (as per WES)

GMAT: 730 (Q50, V38)

Work experience and leadership: 26 months ( Currently at Paytm Mobiquest for past 4 months, earlier at Urban Company for 8 months as Category Manager (General Management role), and as Junior Research Analyst at McKinsey & Co. for 14 months)
In McKinsey, handled international clients, successfully piloted a new project for South East Asia.
At the time of joining, work ex will be around 36 months

Community and others - Entrepreneurship stint during College (funded by Government of India), Lead volunteer and OC member at Startup Jalsa (India's biggest startup conference) for 5 years, Working with a local NGO in Chandigarh during the times of COVID, Logistics manager for an event called 'The Largest Plantation' which made a world record of planting 300,000 trees in 2 hours near Delhi

Post MBA goals - Short term : PM at a tech-giant (Apple, Microsoft, Google), Long-term: moving back to India and starting my own venture

Anything else- National Level badminton level in school, several olympiads winner in school, Core OC member at college's literature festival
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47 (Online)
Send PM
I feel I have a pretty non-traditional background (at least when compared to the studs I see on this forum) and so I'm not exactly sure how to invest my time in the next 12 months to bolster my application and I would appreciate any feedback/advice.

Why I Want An MBA:

I know this is pretty unoriginal, but my goal is to get into consulting for 3-4 years because I really like how consultants work on a specific project for a few months and then switch assignments. This appeals to me because I don't see myself doing one thing for 20 years and I also would enjoy the travel component. I feel like I'm pretty analytical and so I'd like the challenge of digging into different problems. From there, I would like to found my own creative consulting firm.

Stats:

GMAT: 760 (Q48 V47 IR8) (I studied my @$$ off for this test because I wanted to show that I was ready for the academic rigour of the MBA program and that I really want to get into an MBA program)

CGPA: 9.5/12 (The last 2.5 years my CGPA is perfect and that's because that was when I figured out I wanted to go to bschool and that schools would look at my grades. In Canada, bschools only look at the last 2 years of undergrad, but I know in the US they look at all the years)

Education: Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy (Graduated with High Honours)

Work Experience:

Suiting: 2 years experience fitting men for suits and luxury brand clothing and providing styling consultation.

Visual Merchandiser: 2 years experience designing and creating visual displays in-house for a well established, very large, higher-end store. Present the brand messaging while taking into account sales, trends and promotions.

Professional Actor: 5 years part-time experience acting in educational settings for the 6 local universities/colleges and councils. Have also starred in various educational videos.

Extracurriculars:

Create art and have an art instagram page. Workout 4X/week (if that counts?). Play chess.

Nationality:

Canadian-born to two immigrant parents escaping war torn Sri Lanka. Both parents are extremely working class and grinders and so I come from humble but proud beginnings and I'm forever grateful to them.

Thoughts?

So yeah, that's my bio so far but I'm planning on applying in the Fall of 2021 so I have 12 months to invest (other than the time spent working full-time) and I'm not exactly sure what to lean into? Should I take hbx core or does my GMAT cover my analytical thinking portion? Should I keep creating art and try to grow my instagram? Should I volunteer somehow in this pandemic? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi,

Pleaser review my profile for Yale School of Management.

MBA Specialistion/Subjects/Interests- General Management/Public Policy/ Government/Social Impact

Overview
After completing my under graduation, I was sure about pursuing a fulfilling career but did not know which direction to head. Going with the theme of my subjects, I started working with a Big 4- safe option but not satisfying despite the awards and accolades. Also, I did not want to pursue an ACCA or CPA, so I decided to venture into business.

In my next role of a Business Development Manager, I established the infrastructure development vertical and gained exposure to managerial responsibilities and expertise in sales strategy and developing partnerships.

Due to a family matter, I decided to move back to support my ailing grandparents. To cover for the gap in my professional portfolio, I interned with my current organisation, Pahal (NGO) for six months and fell in love with my job. It's been two years since, and I am sure that a career in the development sector is my way forward!

Why an MBA?
An MBA allows me pursue a multidisciplinary course with access to general management (strategy, accounting, decision making, marketing, finance and operations) and subjects relating to economics, public policy, government and social impact.

GMAT- 720
(expected according to mocks)

Undergrad- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Christ University
Christ University is a Tier 1 college in India ranked amongst the top 5 schools for Commerce/Business Management.
Major- Finance and Investment
CGPA- 3.26/4
Extracurricular Activities/ Leadership roles -
Christ University Commerce Association- President/ Student Coordinator
Christ University Festing Association- Co-founder and President
Department of Commerce, Christ University- Student Coordinator
Suyukti, Department of Commerce (Literary Club)- Founding Member
Finance Club, Department of Commerce-Member
Prayas 2014 Head- Operations and Events (Prayas is a national level business fest hosted by Department of Commerce, Christ University)

Total Work Experience- 6 years (by the time I join the course)
1. Pahal (NGO) (2 Years)
Supporting two projects: Special Training Centre under the National Child Labour Project (NCLP) and GOAL Program, a CSR initiative of Standard Chartered Bank.
Program Officer ( 6 months)
Associate Program Officer (1 year)
Program Intern ( 6 months)

2.Business Development Manager at CSA Infraprojects (1 Year)
CSA Infraprojects is a real estate and an infrastructure firm. Handled new business acquisition and growth of existing business alongside leading corporate strategy, sales strategy, proposal process, and bid preparation.
Achievement - Project: Modern Bus Terminal on DBFOT (Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer) basis with State City Transport & Development Authority.

3. EY Global Delivery Services (2 years)
Aligned with the Assurance- Wealth and Asset Management team operating financial services clients in the Bahamas, Bermuda and Cayman Islands. Responsible for the external audit of four clients, each different- Hedge Funds, Fund of Funds, Private Equity and Service Organisations.
Associate Audit EY (11 months)
Advanced Associate Audit (1 year 3 months)
Achievements-
Awarded Extra Miler- Spot Award.
Awarded Exceptional Client Service Award

Volunteer experience:
1. Missionaries of Charity (1 year)
Mother Teresa Orphanage, run by Missionaries of Charity, looks after orphaned differently-abled children below 17 years.
2. Educator/Mentor with Simple Education Foundation (3 months)
GyanVahak program enables rural children of Gular village to keep learning despite all the odds of Covid-19

Certificates-
1. Design Thinking: From Insights to Viability- Stanford Graduate School of Business Executive Education

Other information:
Age- 26 years
Gender- Female
National- Indian
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SanyaKullar

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations
My name is Shimri Winters, I head the strategy here at ARINGO (and am a London Business School alumnus)

You have a very interesting profile! From what I can see:
    Academics – good undergraduate. good GPA great extra-curricular!

GMAT - Well, 720 is a good score – still on average for the top US schools, but good

Extracurricular activities – I love your volunteering. I hope to see you have some hobbies too?

Work Experience –so, this is your biggest strength – 3 great and very different employers. EY with the global brand and teams, CSA Infraprojects with rea estate and bus dev and Pahal bringing you to the NGO world…

Your career goals – your goals are very general. You have to be more specific on what is the short term role you are seeking and what is the long term role too. (happy to help further with this ? . Also, you have to find a good match between these and the school specialization/culture/employers

All in all sounds like you have a solid profile! But I am missing some more info on managerial experience international experience career goals, extra-curricular activities schools wish list.

Happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps if you send me your CV and any other info to Shimriw@ARINGO.com

GOOD LUCK!
SanyaKullar wrote:
Hi,

Pleaser review my profile for Yale School of Management.

MBA Specialistion/Subjects/Interests- General Management/Public Policy/ Government/Social Impact

Overview
After completing my under graduation, I was sure about pursuing a fulfilling career but did not know which direction to head. Going with the theme of my subjects, I started working with a Big 4- safe option but not satisfying despite the awards and accolades. Also, I did not want to pursue an ACCA or CPA, so I decided to venture into business.

In my next role of a Business Development Manager, I established the infrastructure development vertical and gained exposure to managerial responsibilities and expertise in sales strategy and developing partnerships.

Due to a family matter, I decided to move back to support my ailing grandparents. To cover for the gap in my professional portfolio, I interned with my current organisation, Pahal (NGO) for six months and fell in love with my job. It's been two years since, and I am sure that a career in the development sector is my way forward!

Why an MBA?
An MBA allows me pursue a multidisciplinary course with access to general management (strategy, accounting, decision making, marketing, finance and operations) and subjects relating to economics, public policy, government and social impact.

GMAT- 720
(expected according to mocks)

Undergrad- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Christ University
Christ University is a Tier 1 college in India ranked amongst the top 5 schools for Commerce/Business Management.
Major- Finance and Investment
CGPA- 3.26/4
Extracurricular Activities/ Leadership roles -
Christ University Commerce Association- President/ Student Coordinator
Christ University Festing Association- Co-founder and President
Department of Commerce, Christ University- Student Coordinator
Suyukti, Department of Commerce (Literary Club)- Founding Member
Finance Club, Department of Commerce-Member
Prayas 2014 Head- Operations and Events (Prayas is a national level business fest hosted by Department of Commerce, Christ University)

Total Work Experience- 6 years (by the time I join the course)
1. Pahal (NGO) (2 Years)
Supporting two projects: Special Training Centre under the National Child Labour Project (NCLP) and GOAL Program, a CSR initiative of Standard Chartered Bank.
Program Officer ( 6 months)
Associate Program Officer (1 year)
Program Intern ( 6 months)

2.Business Development Manager at CSA Infraprojects (1 Year)
CSA Infraprojects is a real estate and an infrastructure firm. Handled new business acquisition and growth of existing business alongside leading corporate strategy, sales strategy, proposal process, and bid preparation.
Achievement - Project: Modern Bus Terminal on DBFOT (Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer) basis with State City Transport & Development Authority.

3. EY Global Delivery Services (2 years)
Aligned with the Assurance- Wealth and Asset Management team operating financial services clients in the Bahamas, Bermuda and Cayman Islands. Responsible for the external audit of four clients, each different- Hedge Funds, Fund of Funds, Private Equity and Service Organisations.
Associate Audit EY (11 months)
Advanced Associate Audit (1 year 3 months)
Achievements-
Awarded Extra Miler- Spot Award.
Awarded Exceptional Client Service Award

Volunteer experience:
1. Missionaries of Charity (1 year)
Mother Teresa Orphanage, run by Missionaries of Charity, looks after orphaned differently-abled children below 17 years.
2. Educator/Mentor with Simple Education Foundation (3 months)
GyanVahak program enables rural children of Gular village to keep learning despite all the odds of Covid-19

Certificates-
1. Design Thinking: From Insights to Viability- Stanford Graduate School of Business Executive Education

Other information:
Age- 26 years
Gender- Female
National- Indian
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi Shirmi ARINGO, really appreciate your input! I will get in touch with you over email in a day or two with a more detailed candidate profile.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Kudos
Hi there,

Please evaluate my profile for applying to Yale in Round 2 for the class of 2023:

Background and nationality: Grew up in a single-parent family, 1st generation college student, supporting the living of the whole family now, experienced hard livings before, Hong Kong & Taiwan family background, nationality - Hong Kong

Undergrad Information: HKUST Global Business (3.7, 1st class honour), one of the 3 recipients in HK to receive full scholarship to study at Oxford University for 1 year in 2010 as a visiting scholar

GMAT: 730 and 750 in two attempts

Work experience and leadership: multiple industries- a failed entrepreneur who opened a restaurant in China for 4 years, an ex-TV sports presenter who has interviewed top athletes in the world (part time job in support of my entrepreneurial work financially), subsequently worked in Tech/Fintech/Crypto startups (both successful ones and failed ones), and currently working at one of the largest banks in Asia as a senior manager (recently officially granted a leadership award from senior management in the bank for developing a Fintech project).

Post MBA goals: Venture Capital/Fintech companies with my startup experiences

As an applicant from HK, I'd love to know from AdCom's point of view, am I in the same group as other mainland China applicants (which is obviously an over-represented group) or are HK applicants considered separately?

Thanks in advance!!
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bellerin wrote:
Hi there,

Please evaluate my profile for applying to Yale in Round 2 for the class of 2023:

Background and nationality: Grew up in a single-parent family, 1st generation college student, supporting the living of the whole family now, experienced hard livings before, Hong Kong & Taiwan family background, nationality - Hong Kong

Undergrad Information: HKUST Global Business (3.7, 1st class honour), one of the 3 recipients in HK to receive full scholarship to study at Oxford University for 1 year in 2010 as a visiting scholar

GMAT: 730 and 750 in two attempts

Work experience and leadership: multiple industries- a failed entrepreneur who opened a restaurant in China for 4 years, an ex-TV sports presenter who has interviewed top athletes in the world (part time job in support of my entrepreneurial work financially), subsequently worked in Tech/Fintech/Crypto startups (both successful ones and failed ones), and currently working at one of the largest banks in Asia as a senior manager (recently officially granted a leadership award from senior management in the bank for developing a Fintech project).

Post MBA goals: Venture Capital/Fintech companies with my startup experiences

As an applicant from HK, I'd love to know from AdCom's point of view, am I in the same group as other mainland China applicants (which is obviously an over-represented group) or are HK applicants considered separately?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Bellerin

Thanks for sharing your profile and MBA aspirations
My name is Shimri Winters, I head the strategy here at ARINGO

Let me start by saying how impressed I am with your profile. Your background, academics work experience (what an array of industries and positions), GMAT etc. are all super impressive, and I am sure with amazing stellar applications, you will get into your dream school!

From what I can see
    Background –Super interesting childhood story – and you really “made it” on your own with little support. Regarding HK vs. China applicants -> it depends who is reading the application, but in any case, your profile stands out!

Academics – a fantastic university with great GPA!

GMAT – 750 is a great score and above average in all MBA programs

Work Experience –so, you will need to find a common thread for all the jobs you did. How about serial entrepreneur for a few years, that tuned to banking? (not sure how that fits with the media and sports ? )but this is your biggest challenge, to tell a coherent and easy to understand story…

Your career goals - I am not sure the goals are related and correlated to what you have done so far. But once I see your CV, and understand your story better, I will be able to see if the career goals make sense.
    Your career goals should continue in the direction you have taken so far (I think entrepreneurship is the biggest part of your CV?

Still missing info on your school wish list and Extracurricular activities
All in all, sounds like you have a fantastic profile!

Happy to help further with a detailed review and perhaps work together on some amazing apps We can jump on a call anytime to discuss further, but please send me your CV and any other info to Shimriw@ARINGO.com

GOOD LUCK!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 606
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GRE 1: Q166 V167

GRE 2: Q166 V167
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Hello GMAT Club Community,

Wanted some advice on my profile and my admit chances for Yale SOM:

27 year old (while matriculating) Indian Male (NON-ENGINEER).

GMAT: 710 (Q47, V41, IR4)

Education:
10th: 90%
12th: 86.5% (Humanities)

Undergrad GPA: 3.3
Bachelor's in Media & Communication from Symbiosis Intl. University (#1 Ranked program in the country)
Specialization: Advertising.

Work Ex: 4 years, 8 months at the time of joining.
Year 0-2: Worked as a copywriter & creative strategist at a digital advertising firm in Mumbai
Highlights -
- Successfully launched the first advertising campaign for the official Swedish Tourism board in India.
- Successfully set up and launched a leading health insurance brand in India online.
- Won the coveted Abby Awards for Creativity & Innovation (Indian equivalent of Cannes) twice.
- Won multiple clients through pitches, contributing significantly to company revenue.

Year 2-3
- Pivoted from a creative to an analytical role, starting as a Business Analyst at a leading ad-tech & performance marketing firm in India (Merkle Sokrati)
- Got promoted in 7 months, handled spends worth $200k a month, across verticals such as E-commerce, OTT, FinTech & BFSI.
- Mentored 3-4 different people with successful results.
- Won multiple clients through pitches, contributing significantly to company revenue.

Year 3 - present
- Shifted to a Growth & Marketing (Designation: Performance Marketing Manager) role at one of India's fastest-growing FinTech startups (valued at $300 million in less than 2 years), funded by Sequoia.
- The company provides financial management softwares to SMBs across India completely free of cost.

Extra-Curricular & Community
- 2 2-month Internships at NGOs (Teach for India & Door Step School)
- Sports Captain in school & college, representing both at school & district levels.

Post-MBA Goals:
Strategy Consulting.
Throughout my varied roles so far, I have served clients across levels in different capacities, with highly successful results (can get stellar recommendations from them)
With my experience as a creative strategist + analyst, I bring a balanced combination of creativity & analytics, and I feel i would be well-suited to a consulting role.

I have 12 months before submitting my application. Would love to hear about my chances of getting an admit (I am open to applying in Early action), or how I could bolster my application (particularly the quant aspect) in this period.

Would an HBS CORe course help here?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.94
WE:Operations (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I'll give this a go. Applying in Round 2.

Nationality: American
Identity: White Transgender
Undergraduate education: University of Maryland GC
Undergraduate Degree: East Asian Studies
GMAT Score – 740 (Q 49, V 42, IR 8, AWA 5)

Work experience:
Currently working for a top defense contractor in Maryland since Feb 2019. I am the senior analyst of an 11-person team, and I oversee all US Army counterintelligence (CI) operations west of Chicago. I have been promoted and given raises twice. I was selected to lead the first on-site integration of our team directly with our customer and input real-time CI consult during an international conference, and also delivered a brief to 450+ attendees at a national defense conference.

Prior to my current position, I was enlisted Air Force. I was a Chinese linguist, learned the language at the Defense Language Institute, and worked primarily in Hawaii. I was promoted several times and attained a Mission Manager position where I oversaw a 50+ member team, leading operations support, training, feedback, and service-mission integration efforts.

Successes:
Reporting delivered during Presidential brief
Reporting directly to the SecDef
Coined by my commander
Honor graduate of basic military training and my Chinese course
Maintained Deans list every semester/magna cum laude
Letter of rec written by my current supervisor; received monetary bonus
Selected for Taiwan immersion course at Tamkang University during Chinese course

Recs include a retired Chief Warrant 5 who I work for now, who honestly will write me a glowing recommendation. The other is my previous supervisor from my enlisted stint, who I can confidently say will write the same type of rec.

Extra-curricular activities:
I have several real estate investments and manage a few properties in my off-time.
I am a drag performer across the Baltimore-DC area and have performed at notable venues.
I have coached high school wrestling in three different states.
I completed a Make A Wish business internship in Hawaii, managing 250+ volunteers and aiding two wishes.
I was selected for the National Air Force wrestling team and competed at the 2017 Armed Forces Wrestling competition.

Post-MBA Career Goals:
In the short term, I want to work in either strategic or government consulting. Based on my professional experience, this seems like both a natural progression and a career change.
Long term goals vary across two paths; I either want to continue rising in the consulting world/create a consulting firm among my network, or I want to increase my East Asian studies, utilize that knowledge and an MBA and perform in an ambassador/embassy role. (I don't usually include that in my apps)

I was admitted to Georgetown last year and ultimately deferred.
Round 1 applications only include USC, where I have already interviewed.
Round 2 apps include HBS, Yale, Booth, LBS, and UCLA.

Yale is a bit different in that I applied last year and was ultimately denied. My application was weak, I was naïve to my competitiveness, and my post-MBA goals were not fleshed out, especially having applied in Round 4. My GMAT was also a 670, and these are all points I have addressed in the reapplicant essay.

Very interested in your thoughts as your perspective is much, much greater than mine in terms of competition. Thank you for your time!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Would request someone to please provide a brief evaluation of my profile:

Female, Indian, 27 years
Education:
Xth - 87%
XIIth - 96%
B.Com - 65%
CFA Level 3 candidate (completed 2 levels with more than 90 percentile)
Chartered Accountant – completed all levels in first attempt
Total work experience – 4 years post qualification, 7 years including articleship
o 1 year with Diageo India in Finance Controllership role
o Youngest resource responsible for driving efficiencies across the biggest cost category ~ $ 0.6 Bn
o Optimized raw materials and packing materials procurement processes resulting in modest financial savings

• 3 years with KPMG India in Risk consulting domain
o Conducted majority of the projects as a team leader and worked for many Fortune 500 clients. Delivered significant financial savings as a result of the process-based reviews conducted.
o Received an exceptional promotion.
• 1 year with Credit Suisse as an Intern in Product Control division (CA Articleship)
• 2 years with Haribhakti & Co. (Top 10 Indian CA firm) as an Intern in risk consulting (CA Articleship)

Extra-Curricular activities:
Volunteered for 2.5 years as a teacher and career mentor at Make A Difference organization
Created internship opportunity for five less fortunate students at a leading e-commerce company
Recruited academic support volunteers at Make A Difference (a non-profit)

GMAT Online - 720 (Q50 V38 IR7)

Post MBA goal:
Short Term: Strategy/Consulting
Long term: Financial Strategy Consulting
Target schools – Ross, Stern, Kellogg, CBS, Darden, Booth, Yale, Duke, Cornell
Target school start – Fall’21
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everyone,

A brief background about me, I am a Chartered Accountant from India working with Walmart India Private Limited as a Manager, Business Finance (Category Finance) responsible for entire P&L set of General Merchandise, Electronics, IT and Office Supplied portfolio (25% share of India business). Here, I’ve led multiple projects across the board, cultivating leadership and stakeholder management and skills, industry understanding, and 360-degree view of solutions. Working with category-merchants regularly, I've built an understanding of product assortment, new product decisions, pricing structure of varied industries, inventory management, vendor selection and negotiation strategies.

Building on the Category management experience that I've had working alongside Merchants, I want to propel my career full-fledged towards Category / Product Management / Growth strategy.

Post MBA, I want to work in mentioned roles at Walmart E-commerce leveraging my Walmart knowledge and cultural immersion to develop new products/brands, manage, and scale existing portfolio. This will help me grasp tech firms’ outlook towards expanding categories; how they innovate, ideate development opportunities, and bring them to market. I’ll also master product supply chain and end-to-end lifecycle. Leveraging this, in the long term, as India or Southeast Asia Head/Director of Growth in this firm, I’ll enable my firm to innovate and establish win-win partnerships with local businesses, the lifeblood of Indian economy.

Undergrad study and GPA – Bachelor of Commerce, Delhi University, GPA 4.0/4.0
GMAT – 710, Q48, V38, AWA-6, IR-8
English Test – Waiver, as my schooling and undergrad education was 100% taught in English.

Work Experience:
· 4 years at Walmart India Private Limited
· Prior to Walmart, I worked full-time for 3 years at Sahni Natarajan and Bahl Chartered Accountants, Delhi as an Articled Assistant to complete the mandatory three-year CA training. Here I was responsible for performing risk based assessment of indispensable business processes. These assignments were piloted towards adding value to client’s business by identifying operational process and control related gaps and giving recommendations to remediate the same. I led multiple teams of 4-6 members on 12 assignments across varied industries ranging from telecom (Aircel) to manufacturing (Maruti Suzuki, Pepsico India).

Extracurriculars:

Work aside, I am an avid sports lover-cricket, football, tennis I play them all- I am state level cricket player and was high school sports and cricket team captain, leading my team to victories in several inter-school and district matches. Though I do not pursue sports professionally, I have carried forward this passion into Walmart, Organizing two ‘Formula Fun’ sports meet (Nov’17, Nov’18) - 5 events, 145-150 associates; coordinated with sports facility in Gurugram, arranged neutral referees and refreshments during matches. I also formed a group of cricket lovers and organized matches with other corporate teams in Gurugram.

I am an active volunteer at Zomato Feeding India responsible for identifying 'hunger spots' -underserved areas in the city needing sustained help- reaching out to and securing regular food, clothes and other essential supply from nearby localities, restaurants, voluntary donors etc. and distributing to the needy.

Can you help evaluate the profile and help me understand my chances for getting an admit in Yale.

Apart from Yale, I am looking at MIT, UCLA, CBS, Tuck, Ross, Darden and Duke.

Thanks,
Swastik
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
gandis wrote:
I'll give this a go. Applying in Round 2.

Nationality: American
Identity: White Transgender
Undergraduate education: University of Maryland GC
Undergraduate Degree: East Asian Studies
GMAT Score – 740 (Q 49, V 42, IR 8, AWA 5)

Work experience:
Currently working for a top defense contractor in Maryland since Feb 2019. I am the senior analyst of an 11-person team, and I oversee all US Army counterintelligence (CI) operations west of Chicago. I have been promoted and given raises twice. I was selected to lead the first on-site integration of our team directly with our customer and input real-time CI consult during an international conference, and also delivered a brief to 450+ attendees at a national defense conference.

Prior to my current position, I was enlisted Air Force. I was a Chinese linguist, learned the language at the Defense Language Institute, and worked primarily in Hawaii. I was promoted several times and attained a Mission Manager position where I oversaw a 50+ member team, leading operations support, training, feedback, and service-mission integration efforts.

Successes:
Reporting delivered during Presidential brief
Reporting directly to the SecDef
Coined by my commander
Honor graduate of basic military training and my Chinese course
Maintained Deans list every semester/magna cum laude
Letter of rec written by my current supervisor; received monetary bonus
Selected for Taiwan immersion course at Tamkang University during Chinese course

Recs include a retired Chief Warrant 5 who I work for now, who honestly will write me a glowing recommendation. The other is my previous supervisor from my enlisted stint, who I can confidently say will write the same type of rec.

Extra-curricular activities:
I have several real estate investments and manage a few properties in my off-time.
I am a drag performer across the Baltimore-DC area and have performed at notable venues.
I have coached high school wrestling in three different states.
I completed a Make A Wish business internship in Hawaii, managing 250+ volunteers and aiding two wishes.
I was selected for the National Air Force wrestling team and competed at the 2017 Armed Forces Wrestling competition.

Post-MBA Career Goals:
In the short term, I want to work in either strategic or government consulting. Based on my professional experience, this seems like both a natural progression and a career change.
Long term goals vary across two paths; I either want to continue rising in the consulting world/create a consulting firm among my network, or I want to increase my East Asian studies, utilize that knowledge and an MBA and perform in an ambassador/embassy role. (I don't usually include that in my apps)

I was admitted to Georgetown last year and ultimately deferred.
Round 1 applications only include USC, where I have already interviewed.
Round 2 apps include HBS, Yale, Booth, LBS, and UCLA.

Yale is a bit different in that I applied last year and was ultimately denied. My application was weak, I was naïve to my competitiveness, and my post-MBA goals were not fleshed out, especially having applied in Round 4. My GMAT was also a 670, and these are all points I have addressed in the reapplicant essay.

Very interested in your thoughts as your perspective is much, much greater than mine in terms of competition. Thank you for your time!

Hi there,

To begin with, your profile seems quite diverse and unique with an impressive set of endeavours both academically and professionally. Coming to your academics, you have completed your bachelors in east asian studies which is a unique academic background from one of the top universities out there. Additionally, you also have a 740 GMAT score that vouches for your excellent academic prowess and opens doors to most top b-schools worldwide.

Moving on, the premise of your work background seems quite impressive and diverse whereby you also held important positions of responsibilities. This aspect of your profile, sets you apart from your competitors and presents you with an opportunity to capitalize on the same as a differentiator in your profile. Prior to this, you were also working in the Airforce department as a chinese linguist which again showcases your upward growth trajectory wherein you are constantly upgrading yourself by climbing new ranks. All these experiences and accomplishments definitely works in your favour.

Furthermore, you have also given details about your recommendations which is great, but do keep in mind that higher the position of the recommender in the hierarchy, the more impactful it would be. Moreover, you need to ensure that your recommendation is drafted in accordance with what the school requires by highlighting the right strengths along with its relevant examples.

Coming to your extracurriculars, you have a good mix of extracurriculars which showcase your position in leadership roles, the extension of your expertise for the benefit of the society and your proactiveness to go above and beyond in your endeavours. This shows that you have a diverse set of skills under your belt that will be a great value addition to the school. In addition to this, it has been more than 2 years since you graduated, so you can maybe take up certain certifications or short courses to portray that you’ve constantly voyaged on a path to upskill yourself. All in all, you have a holistically developed profile which is exactly the trait these B-schools are looking for.

Now coming to the schools that you will be targeting in round 2, all of them can be clubbed under the dream category, wherein your chances of acceptance would be anywhere around 30-40% because firstly, they are very stringent and competitive with their application and selection procedure and secondly, your work experience falls short with respect to the kind of competition you will be facing (On an average 4-5 years of work experience). Having said that, you can definitely turn the tables in your favour by showcasing the intensity of your work experience in your application and drawing attention to the differentiating strengths of your profile.

Given the fact that you are applying this year, you should majorly focus on the kind of application you are submitting. Your application is basically what differentiates you by highlighting your strengths and overshadowing your weaknesses. Additionally, it also carries a 30% impact on your admission prospects which is why I would stress you to pay more attention to the same.

All things considered, to gain clarity on how you can get into these particular schools, you can Book a Free consulting session with one of our expert consultants who through their expertise can gauge the competitiveness of your profile and help you plan a winning strategy to bag an admit from your target schools.

Below you will find the link to book a 20-minute FREE consulting call with our expert consultants.

https://www.mim-essay.com/book-an-appointment-form/

Hope this helped!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
swastik0704 wrote:
Hello everyone,

A brief background about me, I am a Chartered Accountant from India working with Walmart India Private Limited as a Manager, Business Finance (Category Finance) responsible for entire P&L set of General Merchandise, Electronics, IT and Office Supplied portfolio (25% share of India business). Here, I’ve led multiple projects across the board, cultivating leadership and stakeholder management and skills, industry understanding, and 360-degree view of solutions. Working with category-merchants regularly, I've built an understanding of product assortment, new product decisions, pricing structure of varied industries, inventory management, vendor selection and negotiation strategies.

Building on the Category management experience that I've had working alongside Merchants, I want to propel my career full-fledged towards Category / Product Management / Growth strategy.

Post MBA, I want to work in mentioned roles at Walmart E-commerce leveraging my Walmart knowledge and cultural immersion to develop new products/brands, manage, and scale existing portfolio. This will help me grasp tech firms’ outlook towards expanding categories; how they innovate, ideate development opportunities, and bring them to market. I’ll also master product supply chain and end-to-end lifecycle. Leveraging this, in the long term, as India or Southeast Asia Head/Director of Growth in this firm, I’ll enable my firm to innovate and establish win-win partnerships with local businesses, the lifeblood of Indian economy.

Undergrad study and GPA – Bachelor of Commerce, Delhi University, GPA 4.0/4.0
GMAT – 710, Q48, V38, AWA-6, IR-8
English Test – Waiver, as my schooling and undergrad education was 100% taught in English.

Work Experience:
· 4 years at Walmart India Private Limited
· Prior to Walmart, I worked full-time for 3 years at Sahni Natarajan and Bahl Chartered Accountants, Delhi as an Articled Assistant to complete the mandatory three-year CA training. Here I was responsible for performing risk based assessment of indispensable business processes. These assignments were piloted towards adding value to client’s business by identifying operational process and control related gaps and giving recommendations to remediate the same. I led multiple teams of 4-6 members on 12 assignments across varied industries ranging from telecom (Aircel) to manufacturing (Maruti Suzuki, Pepsico India).

Extracurriculars:

Work aside, I am an avid sports lover-cricket, football, tennis I play them all- I am state level cricket player and was high school sports and cricket team captain, leading my team to victories in several inter-school and district matches. Though I do not pursue sports professionally, I have carried forward this passion into Walmart, Organizing two ‘Formula Fun’ sports meet (Nov’17, Nov’18) - 5 events, 145-150 associates; coordinated with sports facility in Gurugram, arranged neutral referees and refreshments during matches. I also formed a group of cricket lovers and organized matches with other corporate teams in Gurugram.

I am an active volunteer at Zomato Feeding India responsible for identifying 'hunger spots' -underserved areas in the city needing sustained help- reaching out to and securing regular food, clothes and other essential supply from nearby localities, restaurants, voluntary donors etc. and distributing to the needy.

Can you help evaluate the profile and help me understand my chances for getting an admit in Yale.

Apart from Yale, I am looking at MIT, UCLA, CBS, Tuck, Ross, Darden and Duke.

Thanks,
Swastik

Hi there,

First and foremost, you definitely come across as an all-rounder.
Your GPA of a perfect 4.0 is exceptionally good while your GMAT score of 710 continues to live up to your academic capabilities. Additionally, you have also mentioned that you have completed the mandatory 3-year article ship under the chartered accountancy realm which is an added feather to your hat and further vouches for your strong analytical and excelling mindset.

When it comes to your work experience, you have a total of seven years of work experience, wherein currently, you are working at Walmart. Though the extent of the period of your work experience is quite impressive, you still lack big brand names under your belt. However, eventually, what will matter is the quality of your work experience, whereby you can highlight why you chose this company, what kind of projects you undertook, what were your inputs, and what skills you developed. This will also showcase how you are voyaging on a path towards your goal while portraying your dedication and consistency. All things considered, one thing that will definitely work in your favor and act as a differentiating factor is the simple fact that you are already building a lucrative career in your targeted niche and firm - Walmart. This will basically showcase how you are proactive and dedicated in your journey to conquer your goals.

Now coming to your extracurriculars, your inclination towards sports is very evident from the varied activities you have undertaken in this field. From participating at state-level cricket matches to organizing a formula one event for Walmart, you have constantly fostered your passion for sports by incorporating your soft skills on the way. Most importantly, you are also actively involved in volunteering works under the zomato feeding India campaign, which again testifies to your socially responsible and empathetic trait. All these activities showcase a holistically developed profile which is exactly what these B-schools are looking for. Additionally, you can also take up certain online courses or certifications related to the niche you would want to build your career in to further enhance your profile and proactive attitude.

Furthermore, when it comes to the schools that you are targeting, they all come under the top B-schools in the world, whereby MIT, DARDEN, CBS, and DUKE can be clubbed under the dream category( where your chances of acceptance is 50%), and UCLA, TUCK, and ROSS can be termed as Upper competitive schools( where your chances of acceptance are 60%).

All said and done, to boost your chances of acceptance at these schools, you’d require to stand out from the thousands of applicants out there with similarly great profiles. Here, your application would play a huge role in enhancing your chances of getting accepted into your target schools as it would highlight your profile USP’s and overshadow any particular weaknesses in your profile. Additionally, you need to ensure that your LORs and Resume, equally depict the strengths of your profile.

That said, if you are contemplating on how to draft an impactful application, you can check out our All-in-one service, that is a complete end to end consulting process aimed at providing personalized application suggestions, unlimited editing service, and expert consultants who would constantly be there to help you throughout your journey with us.

Most importantly, we will help you to build your application in a way that provides proper justifications of your strengths and weaknesses which are an integral part of your essay and LOR, thus, avoiding room for any kind of ambiguity in your application from your side. We’ve helped 2500+ applicants get into their dream schools so far, and we’d love for you to be next!

Below is the link to our All in One service:

https://www.mim-essay.com/mim-all-in-one

Here, you can also Book a Free consulting session with one of our consultants who through their expertise can gauge the competitiveness of your profile and help you plan a winning strategy to bag an admit from your target schools.

Hope this helped!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Yale and Darden Moderator
74 posts