Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Background / nationality :
Indian female

Undergrad Information :
IIT BTech / MTech ; top 500 AIR
IIT Btech : 6.9/10
IIT MTech : 8.8/10 ( +scholarships)
GMAT: 710

Work experience and leadership :
6 years
Currently cofounded a start-up in edutainment
a.Early member of a tech start-up: In Europe+ US - 3 promotions ;
b.Management Consulting - Two promotions
c.tech start-up in the past ( funded + won many awards )

Community and others :
Corporate social responsibility related activities
Active in student clubs for all years ( several activities to mention)
fundraising for many causes

Post MBA goals :
Entrepreneurship

Anything else?
Recos are good.

What is the chance of this profile in Yale SOM?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi dony1989,

With the limited info you shared, I think overall your profile is pretty strong. The good GPA and IIT background help, as does the excellent GMAT. The fact that you've done some consulting work already helps position you well for your post-MBA goal, and the team-based experience is great too. Have you led teams? Have you been promoted? Have you had any international exposure? Those would be good experiences to highlight, if so. My areas of concern are a) that you're applying from a competitive demographic (which I'm sure you know), and b) your extracurriculars are really light. Anything you can restart? Or maybe there are additional duties you take on at work, like training/mentoring/hiring, that you could position as non-required roles? That could help a little, but I still think could be a concern, especially in terms of demonstrating your leadership in an activity outside work.

Best of luck!
Kate

dony1989 wrote:
Hi guys, may anyone evaluate my profile for Yale SOM?

Indian Male
B.Tech.: IIT
GPA: 7.88/10
Work ex. 6 yrs. in a PSU ( Govt. Of India Enterprise)
Profile: Consulting in Clean Coal sector. Handled team to implement e-tendering. Involved in many diverse professional assignments and nature of job always necessitated to work as a part of team.
Post MBA Goal: Management Consulting
Extracurricular: during college days, I was engaged with an NGO providing primary education to underprivileged children in nearby slums. Presently, a member of local Toastmaster club.

GMAT: 750 (AWA: 5.0 and IR: 8.0)
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Taanya Khare!

Good to be planning ahead :-)

See my notes below -- I think the biggest area for you to improve is GMAT!

Best,
Kate

Taanya Khare wrote:
Hi guys!!
Need some feedback on my profile and steps ahead as I plan on applying in fall 2018! It would be great if I get some solid guidance amongst alumni with prior application experience :)
So, basics:

GMAT score: 710 (for Yale, and given that I assume you are an Indian applicant, you should aim for a higher score - 730+ would be great)
Degrees:
B.Sc. (Statistics) with Economics honours certification, GPA: 3.85/4 great!
M.Sc. ( Economics) with GPA: 2.92/4 Not so great, so you may want to write an optional essay about this. Also make sure you can articulate clear/logical reasons for why you need an MBA even though you already have an advanced degree.
Work experience:
2 years of analytical consulting experience within the retail domain with a recent promotion and several on-shore assignments. Great to have the promotion and on-shore assignments. 2 years is a bit on the low end, but if you apply next year you should be in a good position. Any leadership experience on the job? If not then that's an area to step up in the next year.
Lookout for a job currently in the social consulting space/ holding offer with a consumer products company. Not sure if this is your post-MBA goal, or if you're currently looking?

Several internship experiences ( National Stock Exchange, wealth management firm) Good, though less relevant now, schools mostly care about post-college work.

Extra-curricular:
Mentor at an educational NGO that aims at ensuring sustainable outcomes for students of shelter homes where I lead a group of 40+ volunteer workforce that looks after teaching students in the subjects of English and math, raised around 1 lakh funds for the same in the course of a year, organized several city wide events and awareness campaigns for the same. Great. Keep it up!

Trained classical dancer and singer with certification of 3 and 5 years respectively. A nice bonus, put this on your resume.

Learning French on a professional level. Good to show your curiosity, but unlikely to make a big impact. Put this on your resume too.

Participated and won in regular elocution, debate, seminars, festivals in school and college in capacity of an organizer and a delegate. Good, less relevant since during school, but great to show communication skills.

Selected for a 3 week Indian leadership exchange program by NYU Stern School of business in New York while pursuing undergraduation. Cool! Make sure to highlight this as schools like to see some exposure to studying or working in the US.

The above captures briefly about my accomplishments so far. Please advise on the kind of colleges I should reach out for and the value additions that would help me in the next year before applying. Thanks in advance :) I think GMAT is the big one. And possibly gaining more work leadership. If GMAT does not go up, I think Yale is possible, but I would target some safer schools too. Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi newbiestar123! See my notes below....
-Kate

newbiestar123 wrote:
Background / nationality :
Indian female

Undergrad Information :
IIT BTech / MTech ; top 500 AIR
IIT Btech : 6.9/10 A little on the low side -- but coming from IIT is great. If there's any context worth explaining on the GPA, you could write an optional essay.
IIT MTech : 8.8/10 ( +scholarships)
GMAT: 710 Also a little on the low side for top schools like Yale, and for Indian applicants. Is retaking possible?

Work experience and leadership :
6 years
Currently cofounded a start-up in edutainment
a.Early member of a tech start-up: In Europe+ US - 3 promotions ;
b.Management Consulting - Two promotions
c.tech start-up in the past ( funded + won many awards )
Your work experience is really interesting! Definitely will help you stand out. Lots of promotions, and the experience of starting your own venture will show a lot of positive qualities (and probably some lessons learned that you can tie into your reasons for an MBA).

Community and others :
Corporate social responsibility related activities
Active in student clubs for all years ( several activities to mention)
fundraising for many causes

Assume at least some of these are current? If so, sounds great.

Post MBA goals :
Entrepreneurship While sometimes schools are hesitant about entrepreneurship as an immediate post-MBA goal, I think in your case it makes sense. Be specific about the resources you can take advantage of while at Yale, to connect with other entrepreneurs and test out business ideas.

Anything else?
Recos are good.

What is the chance of this profile in Yale SOM? I think your chances are pretty good. Your work background is a strength. The GMAT / GPA combination worries me a bit, so I would try to get GMAT up if possible. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi, please evaluate my profile.

Background and nationality: Female Engineer from IIT, Indian
Undergrad Information: Mineral Engineer, GPA: 3.30
GMAT: 730 (Q: 50, V: 40, AWA: 4)
Work experience and leadership: Work in one of the big fours in management consulting domain. Worked on projects such as turnaround, capacity building, marketing strategy, business planning etc. for mining sector clients.
Community and others: Associated with toolbox India and Toastmasters International
Post MBA goals: Would like to work in strategy consulting in firms such as MBB, ATK etc.
Anything else?
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
ArunaGupta wrote:
Hi, please evaluate my profile.
Hi @arunaGupta, thanks for reaching out- and let me give you my thoughts on your profile below.
Background and nationality: Female Engineer from IIT, Indian
Undergrad Information: Mineral Engineer, GPA: 3.30
GMAT: 730 (Q: 50, V: 40, AWA: 4) The IIT is going to help you pop to the top and then the 730 is solid- so I'd say you have every chance to be heard- and with a strong application I think you could be successful.
Work experience and leadership: Work in one of the big fours in management consulting domain. Worked on projects such as turnaround, capacity building, marketing strategy, business planning etc. for mining sector clients.
Community and others: Associated with toolbox India and Toastmasters International The work is strong- not sure how many years you have- but assuming you have at least 3 then I think you could present well. Yale asks what is the biggest commitment you have made- so this question allows you to really give some insight into WHO you are and WHAT you value. It is a simple question-
but not an easy one to answer. Having a compelling answer here could get you noticed. This may be something you do outside of work or it may be something at work that you are very passionate about. I think it is important to do this well and that a consultant can be a great sounding board to help in the process. First here are some tips on approaching Yale's essay- https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... -yale-som/ but also beware of the hidden essay in the application itself of How did you arrive at these career interests? How have you or how will you position yourself to pursue them? And you also have 250 words here so don't wait until the last minute to approach this one! Our team at Stratus has some great expertise in coaching clients for Yale MBA admission and we'd be glad to do a free consult with you to share more about how we can help you. https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

And finally- if you are in India now and you can't visit Yale in person- here are some tips for how to still engage very strongly with the program even from afar. Don't overlook this key step as showing WHY you fancy Yale is a very important part of this process!
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ram-india/

Post MBA goals: Would like to work in strategy consulting in firms such as MBB, ATK etc.
Anything else? Best wishes to you!
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hello,

Kindly go through my profile and check its suitability to the Yale MBA program.

• GMAT Score: 760 (Q:50, V:47, IR:8, AWA:5)
• Total Work Experience (in years): 10
• Undergraduate Institution: BITS Pilani (India)

Work Experience:

I am an engineer-turned-entrepreneur with ten years’ of diverse experience in building internet-based businesses spanning across education, e-Commerce and the not-for-profit sectors. I began my career as a Software Developer at Satyam Computers, a publicly-listed technology firm where I managed a team of 4 to build the Agent management system for State Farm Insurance, a Fortune-500 company.

Over the past eight years, I have worked on three different start-ups, two of which were co-founded by me. In 2009, I launched an educational consulting firm that counselled students on various career avenues and trained them on job skills. I was responsible to handle 12-member team that conducted workshops in over 200 schools impacting 10000+ students and partnered with the local government to guide underprivileged children. Could not monetize the venture sufficiently and had to shut it down three years later.

I co-founded a food-tech start-up in 2012 that accepted orders for restaurants and delivered them at the customer’s doorstep. I built the company from the ground to successfully deliver over 400 orders a day and a GMV crossing $600,000. After bootstrapping the business for two years, I sold the company to the India-based technology vendor of Seamless.

I have been working for the past two years on an internet platform for the social sector that connects the various stakeholders such as NGOs, Donors, Volunteers and development professionals. I have successfully onboarded more than 50,000 individual members and 5000+ NGOs in India.

Post MBA:

I plan to transition to the Venture Capital sector and aim to join an Impact VC firm to use my diverse entrepreneurial experience for identifying and supporting disruptive social business ideas.

Thank You!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mk10071986,
Actually "hi again" as I remember seeing your profile on the Sloan thread too. I think your profile is really strong -- great GMAT, made a difficult switch from engineering to entrepreneurship, and some measurable successes with your start-ups. Your involvement in the social sector would fit very nicely with Yale's curriculum and mission. My only worry is that you're much more experienced than the typical applicant for Yale's 2 year program (3-5 years work experience on average). So you could still give it a shot (just make sure you explain why you're interested in the 2 year full-time option), but I think programs like Sloan Fellows would be a more logical fit.
Best of luck!
Kate

mk10071986 wrote:
Hello,

Kindly go through my profile and check its suitability to the Yale MBA program.

• GMAT Score: 760 (Q:50, V:47, IR:8, AWA:5)
• Total Work Experience (in years): 10
• Undergraduate Institution: BITS Pilani (India)

Work Experience:

I am an engineer-turned-entrepreneur with ten years’ of diverse experience in building internet-based businesses spanning across education, e-Commerce and the not-for-profit sectors. I began my career as a Software Developer at Satyam Computers, a publicly-listed technology firm where I managed a team of 4 to build the Agent management system for State Farm Insurance, a Fortune-500 company.

Over the past eight years, I have worked on three different start-ups, two of which were co-founded by me. In 2009, I launched an educational consulting firm that counselled students on various career avenues and trained them on job skills. I was responsible to handle 12-member team that conducted workshops in over 200 schools impacting 10000+ students and partnered with the local government to guide underprivileged children. Could not monetize the venture sufficiently and had to shut it down three years later.

I co-founded a food-tech start-up in 2012 that accepted orders for restaurants and delivered them at the customer’s doorstep. I built the company from the ground to successfully deliver over 400 orders a day and a GMV crossing $600,000. After bootstrapping the business for two years, I sold the company to the India-based technology vendor of Seamless.

I have been working for the past two years on an internet platform for the social sector that connects the various stakeholders such as NGOs, Donors, Volunteers and development professionals. I have successfully onboarded more than 50,000 individual members and 5000+ NGOs in India.

Post MBA:

I plan to transition to the Venture Capital sector and aim to join an Impact VC firm to use my diverse entrepreneurial experience for identifying and supporting disruptive social business ideas.

Thank You!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Hi. I was dinged without interview from most of the Rd1 schools I applied to (HBS, Wharton, Stanford, CBS). I did interview at Sloan and am waiting to hear a decision. In the meantime, I am working on essays for Rd2 schools, including Yale.

After being dinged without interview at so many schools, I have concerns that my age and my profile are going to be tough sells at other top schools (Yale, Booth, Kellogg, Stern, etc.). Looking for advice on my chances and what I can do to maximize them.

Background and nationality: 32 y/o American white/middle eastern male
Undergrad: 3.66 GPA from public state university; Finance major; magna cum laude
GMAT: 760 (47/47)
Work experience:
10+ years WE including military deployments.

The Good: Currently in a compliance role at JPM while serving as a logistics officer in the Marine Corps Reserves, where I am a captain and command a company of ~175 Marines. Deployed to E Europe during the Crimea Crisis and again in 2017. Lots of stories there involving building trust and relationships with people of different nationalities across E Europe, overcoming language barriers, bringing multiple nationalities together for a common goal, etc. Also leveraged accounting background to discover and escalate $MMs in overpayments to a government contractor. Had to overcome bureaucracy as a junior officer to get the government recompensed.

The Bad: Long-winding road to get to my present situation as a 2008 recession grad: worked multiple blue collar and service jobs, was injured in Marine Corps training twice, did not finally commission as an officer until 2013, 5 years after my initial decision to join the military. I sacrificed a lot of time and job opportunities on this commitment. Was an inner-city kid from a state school who worked full-time to pay for college so missed the boat on internships and networking that would have helped.

Extra-curriculars: As well as working for JPM and serving in the Reserves, I am a part-time video game developer for a Microsoft contractor; I am part of a team developing a blockbuster game series with 4 million players. I also prepared many of our marketing materials and am involved in customer outreach.

Post-MBA Goals: I hope to leverage an MBA to give credibility to a career transition to product management, preferably in entertainment software or another tech-related field. I believe I would be effective in such a role by combining my leadership and operations/logistics experiences from the military, my financial background, and an MBA coursework focused on marketing and operations management. My part-time experience in game development and marketing may also give me some credibility to transitioning to a full-time position with Microsoft or with another firm, such as Electronic Arts.

So, do I have a shot? Anything I can do to mitigate some of the red flags in my profile that probably got me dinged from schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50
Send PM
Hey all,

I'd first like to say thanks for the help. I'm in the midst of applying for Msc Management and similar programs (like the Yale SOM) now and am looking for any suggestions on how to improve my applications / what to emphasise on my profile.

My Profile -
Asian-Singaporean, ethnic Chinese
GMAT: 780 (Q51, V45), AWA 5.5
Undergrad Degree: LLB Law, Durham University, UK (currently in my final year)
Grades: Low 2.1, 62% average
Extra-curricular activities:
- Participated in a few Europe business games, placed in finals for a couple challenges
- Various student club leadership positions at university (pretty law-related)
- captain of college basketball team (more of a school club thing rather than university-level competition)
Work Experience:
- 1 internship at a small tech startup
- 3 internships at big law firms in Singapore (M&A, Intellectual Property, Commercial work)
- 2 years in the Singapore military as a sergeant (probably will not emphasize this)

My weaknesses I feel would be my poor undergraduate grades and not-too-exemplary extra-curricular activities. Most of my previous work experience has been law-related as I've only recently come to a decision to not pursue the law path.

My dream in the long haul would be to do an MBA in the US at a reputable business school and work in the US afterward. My short-term goal would be to do an MiM in Europe, preferably London, and to go into consulting after for a few years, hopefully MBB but also at other firms such as Strategy&, etc.

The schools I am applying to are:
US, MBAs - HBS 2+2, Yale SOM
UK, MiM - LBS, LSE, Imperial College London
Paris, MiM - HEC Paris

Would like advice on my profile for Masters applications and the viability of me getting into these schools. Also on which schools would give me the best chance of getting into the MBB consulting firms, or if there are any schools I may have overlooked. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.58
Send PM
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Undergrad- Engineering from IIT
Grad GPA: 2.4/4
GMAT- 700 (Q-50, V-34, IR-6)

Work Exp : 6.5 yrs as of now
1. Have worked in 4 different industries with roles varying from Operations, Project Management, Business Strategies, Venture Launch.
2. Have got 4 role up-gradations in last 6.5 yrs, with all 4 of my organizations.
3. As a part of International work experience, Worked closely with Siemens VAI (Austria team) for a duration of approx. 10 months, on a $40 million project. Worked on successful commissioning and launch of project. Later worked on designing and implementing the operations for the Project
4. Have worked as EA to CXO level in an organisation with yearly turnover of $2.5 Billion, directly monitoring the business size of approx. $0.6 billion.
5. Have almost 2.5 yrs of work ex with 2 startups, both in different market segment.
6. First Startup (secured series B of $10 million): launched the business in a City and was responsible for expansion and PnL of that city. Later launched a business vertical for same startup, worked from scratch on doing pilot projects, designing the sustainable business model, setting up the complete Operations, Sales team. Later launched the business in 5 different cities, and later left the startup, when we were clocking approx. 1000 transactions per day. As of now this business has grown to approx. 10K transactions per day, with positive unit economics.
7. Second Startup (secured Series C of $34 million): Worked with multiple functions, to improve Supply Partner NPS. Launch loyalty program for company. Majorly look into the various problem statements company is facing and work on resolving them, with fast pace.

Volunteer Experience:
1. Worked with an NGO and taught kids in Orphanage for approx. 6 months (Though do not have any document to prove the same).

Extra Curricular:
1. Conceptualized, scripted and acted in a comedy play in College.
2. During college Lead a team of five and completed Kedartaal Trek (5 day trek at height of 10055 feet) (comes under moderately difficult category).
3. Was a part of Hockey team and won 3 silver medal in Intra College hockey tournaments.
4. Certified Rock climber (completed Basic rock climbing course) (rigorous 15 full day course, followed by practical and theoretical tests)

Post MBA Aim:
considering that already been worked in 4 different industry and going by my interest in solving various problem statements, looking to move in Consultancy.

Also would like to know all probable schools, considering my profile and GMAT score, where I should apply.

TIA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
This thread has been quiet for a while. The consultants are probably focused on helping people with Rd2 apps.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Filthydelphia, sorry it's been quiet! You're right re. Round 2 craziness.

I see since your original post that you got your Sloan decision and I'm sorry about that. I agree that your age and "winding" career path may be a tough sell. And Sloan has become so selective lately. I do think you have many strengths in your profile though, so I think you are in range for other top schools like Yale.

I'm curious to know more about your current role and how the skills you're building in a compliance focused role transfer to product management; hopefully that's something you were able to explain more in your essays/interviews. But it seems like a less traditional career switch to make.

Otherwise, I think you really need to demonstrate your interest to your R2 target schools, continue networking and showing them how you fit with the program, and demonstrate your open-mindedness and that you are not "set in your ways" (a stereotype of older applicants) and that you have the skills and motivation to make this career switch. Your GMAT/GPA stats are impressive, and your military experience will be a strength, so I hope those things will outweigh any concern about your age.

Best of luck!
Kate

Filthydelphia wrote:
Hi. I was dinged without interview from most of the Rd1 schools I applied to (HBS, Wharton, Stanford, CBS). I did interview at Sloan and am waiting to hear a decision. In the meantime, I am working on essays for Rd2 schools, including Yale.

After being dinged without interview at so many schools, I have concerns that my age and my profile are going to be tough sells at other top schools (Yale, Booth, Kellogg, Stern, etc.). Looking for advice on my chances and what I can do to maximize them.

Background and nationality: 32 y/o American white/middle eastern male
Undergrad: 3.66 GPA from public state university; Finance major; magna cum laude
GMAT: 760 (47/47)
Work experience:
10+ years WE including military deployments.

The Good: Currently in a compliance role at JPM while serving as a logistics officer in the Marine Corps Reserves, where I am a captain and command a company of ~175 Marines. Deployed to E Europe during the Crimea Crisis and again in 2017. Lots of stories there involving building trust and relationships with people of different nationalities across E Europe, overcoming language barriers, bringing multiple nationalities together for a common goal, etc. Also leveraged accounting background to discover and escalate $MMs in overpayments to a government contractor. Had to overcome bureaucracy as a junior officer to get the government recompensed.

The Bad: Long-winding road to get to my present situation as a 2008 recession grad: worked multiple blue collar and service jobs, was injured in Marine Corps training twice, did not finally commission as an officer until 2013, 5 years after my initial decision to join the military. I sacrificed a lot of time and job opportunities on this commitment. Was an inner-city kid from a state school who worked full-time to pay for college so missed the boat on internships and networking that would have helped.

Extra-curriculars: As well as working for JPM and serving in the Reserves, I am a part-time video game developer for a Microsoft contractor; I am part of a team developing a blockbuster game series with 4 million players. I also prepared many of our marketing materials and am involved in customer outreach.

Post-MBA Goals: I hope to leverage an MBA to give credibility to a career transition to product management, preferably in entertainment software or another tech-related field. I believe I would be effective in such a role by combining my leadership and operations/logistics experiences from the military, my financial background, and an MBA coursework focused on marketing and operations management. My part-time experience in game development and marketing may also give me some credibility to transitioning to a full-time position with Microsoft or with another firm, such as Electronic Arts.

So, do I have a shot? Anything I can do to mitigate some of the red flags in my profile that probably got me dinged from schools?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

I am a lawyer from a top 5 law school in India. I hold a dual degree (Bachelor of Socio-Legal Sciences + Bachelor of Law).

Work experience: 3 years.

1. Consultant - EY, Bangalore for 1 year. Work profile- corporate advisory, private equity/funds advisory, tax advisory.

2. Associate Legal Counsel- role of an in-house corporate lawyer with Infosys Limited. Work profile: Negotiations, Deals, Risk strategies and liabilities.

GMAT: 740 GPA: 3.6 plus

Extra curricular: Professional Classical vocalist with 15+ awards from various institutions.

Blogger+ Run an online fashion initiative promoting Indian fashion and brands. Run the team newsletter at work.

Volunteering work: good amount of volunteering and community service including Bharat scouts and guides, Make a difference etc.

Preferential schools: Yale, Stanford, Booth, CMU Tepper, Kelley’s

Significant achievements: 0.1% merit certificate from CBSE; Part of British Council’s “Dreams and Teams” leadership initiative.

Other courses: Hold diplomas from Asian school of cyber laws, World intellectual property organisation.
Completed “Harvard Manage Mentor” modules.

Languages: English, hindi, tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam and Marathi (7 languages)

Wanted to understand what are my chances to any of my dream schools, specifically Yale ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sandhyabiswas93,

Thanks for reaching out. You have a strong profile overall. In terms of stats, you're in a pretty good position with Yale, with a GMAT above their median (730) and a GPA very close (3.69). As you may have seen on these boards, the pool of applicants from India is extremely competitive though, so good stats are not enough. I think your background studying law and advisory work will help differentiate your profile. Some of your extracurricular activities will help you do that too, especially the fashion blogging, that's a bit more unique!

What are your post-MBA career goals and reasons to get your MBA? Those will be important to articulate clearly, and of course you'll want to identify specific resources you can take advantage of at Yale to achieve your goals.

So overall I think Yale is in range for you. It's very competitive though and the school is increasingly popular, so I would also make sure you have some backup options in mind too.

Best of luck!
Kate

Sandhyabiswas93 wrote:
Hi All,

I am a lawyer from a top 5 law school in India. I hold a dual degree (Bachelor of Socio-Legal Sciences + Bachelor of Law).

Work experience: 3 years.

1. Consultant - EY, Bangalore for 1 year. Work profile- corporate advisory, private equity/funds advisory, tax advisory.

2. Associate Legal Counsel- role of an in-house corporate lawyer with Infosys Limited. Work profile: Negotiations, Deals, Risk strategies and liabilities.

GMAT: 740 GPA: 3.6 plus

Extra curricular: Professional Classical vocalist with 15+ awards from various institutions.

Blogger+ Run an online fashion initiative promoting Indian fashion and brands. Run the team newsletter at work.

Volunteering work: good amount of volunteering and community service including Bharat scouts and guides, Make a difference etc.

Preferential schools: Yale, Stanford, Booth, CMU Tepper, Kelley’s

Significant achievements: 0.1% merit certificate from CBSE; Part of British Council’s “Dreams and Teams” leadership initiative.

Other courses: Hold diplomas from Asian school of cyber laws, World intellectual property organisation.
Completed “Harvard Manage Mentor” modules.

Languages: English, hindi, tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam and Marathi (7 languages)

Wanted to understand what are my chances to any of my dream schools, specifically Yale ?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi all,

Please help in evaluating my profile for Yale.

Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) – (Non-IIT---top 5% in the university) – (2004-2008)-4.0 GPA
Grad: Master of Science (Computer Science) – Univ of California, Davis – (2010-2013)-3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
Lectureship at Government Engineering College (2008-2010)
Mentor at Training and Placement Cell for the students at that college
After Masters:
Software Engineer at Cisco Systems, San Jose from 2012-present, with one promotion.
-Leading the team as a senior software engineer,
-Interaction with marketing (product management/TMEs) and marketing for narrowing down the features customer ask for
-leading cross functional team for delivering software successfully
-driving from front the customer serviceability requests for our products

Extra Curriculars –
- Volunteering at a certain Engineering College in India for placement guidance, campus preparation and resume review.
- Organizing various events in our Business Unit at Cisco, from Socials or Picnics to hackathon etc.
- Mentoring new hires and Interns
- Organizing volunteering activities for our cross-functional group at Cisco.
- Part of team organizing fund-raising (In Silicon Valley) for education of underprivileged children in India.
- Organized Hepatitis B vaccination drive at my mother's work place (one of the most reputed banks in India) for 5 consecutive years

Hobbies -
- Dance (founder of dance/drama club in my undergrad college)
- sports (winner of University badminton championships in undergrad for 3 years, stopped after knee injury)

Achievements:
- Won multiple hackathons at Cisco (couple of them where I was the team leader)
- Won multiple awards at Cisco for recognizing my performance and leadership
- Won scholarship till under graduation from State Bank Of India on Merit
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there! I just responded to your post on the Sloan thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-are-my- ... l#p2041111

I feel pretty similar about Yale -- it's become so competitive that I don't see a material difference in your chances at those two schools.

Good luck!
Kate

SSM2019 wrote:
Hi all,

Please help in evaluating my profile for Yale.

Indian, Female, 30 Years

GMAT – 720

Undergrad: Bachelor of Technology (Electrical Engineering) – (Non-IIT---top 5% in the university) – (2004-2008)-4.0 GPA
Grad: Master of Science (Computer Science) – Univ of California, Davis – (2010-2013)-3.6 GPA

Work Experience:
After Undegrad:
Lectureship at Government Engineering College (2008-2010)
Mentor at Training and Placement Cell for the students at that college
After Masters:
Software Engineer at Cisco Systems, San Jose from 2012-present, with one promotion.
-Leading the team as a senior software engineer,
-Interaction with marketing (product management/TMEs) and marketing for narrowing down the features customer ask for
-leading cross functional team for delivering software successfully
-driving from front the customer serviceability requests for our products

Extra Curriculars –
- Volunteering at a certain Engineering College in India for placement guidance, campus preparation and resume review.
- Organizing various events in our Business Unit at Cisco, from Socials or Picnics to hackathon etc.
- Mentoring new hires and Interns
- Organizing volunteering activities for our cross-functional group at Cisco.
- Part of team organizing fund-raising (In Silicon Valley) for education of underprivileged children in India.
- Organized Hepatitis B vaccination drive at my mother's work place (one of the most reputed banks in India) for 5 consecutive years

Hobbies -
- Dance (founder of dance/drama club in my undergrad college)
- sports (winner of University badminton championships in undergrad for 3 years, stopped after knee injury)

Achievements:
- Won multiple hackathons at Cisco (couple of them where I was the team leader)
- Won multiple awards at Cisco for recognizing my performance and leadership
- Won scholarship till under graduation from State Bank Of India on Merit
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Yale and Darden Moderator
74 posts