It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 08:53
Hi, I plan to apply in R1 this year and would appreciate comments on my profile.

Background: Indonesian, female, 31 years old.

Undergrad: University of Western Australia. Dual degree Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce with Honours.

GPA: 3.55
GMAT: Have not taken yet but aiming 700+

Work experience:
Total of 8 years at Big 4 firm in assurance.
-I have had 4 promotions and was early promoted to my current manager role.
- 3 years of manager experience. I'm responsible for managing the firm's portfolio of non profit clients which consists of large non profits in the aged care and community services sectors. I also have clients in other industry such as mining, transport and manufacturing.
- Lead audit teams consisting of 3-7 people, mentor 2 assistant managers, involved in recruitment process for graduates
- Responsible for maintaining relationship with clients, presenting training and identifying new opportunities for the firm.
- Prepare proposals. Was successful in a tender for a large client which resulted in significant additional revenue for the firm.
- Organise volunteering events.
- The nature of audit work is backward looking and there are limited opportunities to add real value to clients. Now that I have obtained management experience I'm thinking of doing MBA to pivot into a career that involves financial analysis and solving problems.

Extracurriculars:
- Since 2015 I have done bookeeping for my family's small business in the food industry. I do various financial analysis to identify cost savings and efficiency opportunities. Some of my ideas have been implemented and bottom line has improved by 10% in the first year.
- Mentor 2 unemployed accountants who were introduced to me by local employment agency.
- Member of Toastmaster club
- Volunteer at local church

Post MBA goal: Financial planning & analysis or management consulting.

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 13:49
Hi kelly321!

Thanks for sharing your profile. Your GPA is great and in range for Yale (though slightly lower than their median of 3.69). With that in mind, I think you should aim for a GMAT score as close to their 730 median as you can get!

There are lots of strengths in your work experience -- the team management, the client management, your specialty with non-profit clients (which may resonate especially well at Yale), and your willingness to go above and beyond by mentoring and recruiting juniors. The challenges I see are that you have a bit more experience than most applicants (5 to 6 years on average), and sometimes the Audit field can be viewed as not as exciting (which it sounds like is part of why you want to change). So try to bring life to your work accomplishments as much as possible, and make sure you can articulate really clear reasons for why now is the best time for you to get your MBA, and why the full-time MBA makes sense for you (as opposed to a part-time or executive MBA for instance).

The extracurriculars, especially the family business exposure is great! Definitely emphasize that, as it's less typical and also a good tie in to some of the work you might do as a consultant or financial analyst.

Hope this helps!
Kate

kelly321 wrote:
Hi, I plan to apply in R1 this year and would appreciate comments on my profile.

Background: Indonesian, female, 31 years old.

Undergrad: University of Western Australia. Dual degree Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce with Honours.

GPA: 3.55
GMAT: Have not taken yet but aiming 700+

Work experience:
Total of 8 years at Big 4 firm in assurance.
-I have had 4 promotions and was early promoted to my current manager role.
- 3 years of manager experience. I'm responsible for managing the firm's portfolio of non profit clients which consists of large non profits in the aged care and community services sectors. I also have clients in other industry such as mining, transport and manufacturing.
- Lead audit teams consisting of 3-7 people, mentor 2 assistant managers, involved in recruitment process for graduates
- Responsible for maintaining relationship with clients, presenting training and identifying new opportunities for the firm.
- Prepare proposals. Was successful in a tender for a large client which resulted in significant additional revenue for the firm.
- Organise volunteering events.
- The nature of audit work is backward looking and there are limited opportunities to add real value to clients. Now that I have obtained management experience I'm thinking of doing MBA to pivot into a career that involves financial analysis and solving problems.

Extracurriculars:
- Since 2015 I have done bookeeping for my family's small business in the food industry. I do various financial analysis to identify cost savings and efficiency opportunities. Some of my ideas have been implemented and bottom line has improved by 10% in the first year.
- Mentor 2 unemployed accountants who were introduced to me by local employment agency.
- Member of Toastmaster club
- Volunteer at local church

Post MBA goal: Financial planning & analysis or management consulting.

Thank you!

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.66
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 06:44
Filthydelphia wrote:
Hi. I was dinged without interview from most of the Rd1 schools I applied to (HBS, Wharton, Stanford, CBS). I did interview at Sloan and am waiting to hear a decision. In the meantime, I am working on essays for Rd2 schools, including Yale.

After being dinged without interview at so many schools, I have concerns that my age and my profile are going to be tough sells at other top schools (Yale, Booth, Kellogg, Stern, etc.). Looking for advice on my chances and what I can do to maximize them.

Background and nationality: 32 y/o American white/middle eastern male
Undergrad: 3.66 GPA from public state university; Finance major; magna cum laude
GMAT: 760 (47/47)
Work experience:
10+ years WE including military deployments.

The Good: Currently in a compliance role at JPM while serving as a logistics officer in the Marine Corps Reserves, where I am a captain and command a company of ~175 Marines. Deployed to E Europe during the Crimea Crisis and again in 2017. Lots of stories there involving building trust and relationships with people of different nationalities across E Europe, overcoming language barriers, bringing multiple nationalities together for a common goal, etc. Also leveraged accounting background to discover and escalate $MMs in overpayments to a government contractor. Had to overcome bureaucracy as a junior officer to get the government recompensed.

The Bad: Long-winding road to get to my present situation as a 2008 recession grad: worked multiple blue collar and service jobs, was injured in Marine Corps training twice, did not finally commission as an officer until 2013, 5 years after my initial decision to join the military. I sacrificed a lot of time and job opportunities on this commitment. Was an inner-city kid from a state school who worked full-time to pay for college so missed the boat on internships and networking that would have helped.

Extra-curriculars: As well as working for JPM and serving in the Reserves, I am a part-time video game developer for a Microsoft contractor; I am part of a team developing a blockbuster game series with 4 million players. I also prepared many of our marketing materials and am involved in customer outreach.

Post-MBA Goals: I hope to leverage an MBA to give credibility to a career transition to product management, preferably in entertainment software or another tech-related field. I believe I would be effective in such a role by combining my leadership and operations/logistics experiences from the military, my financial background, and an MBA coursework focused on marketing and operations management. My part-time experience in game development and marketing may also give me some credibility to transitioning to a full-time position with Microsoft or with another firm, such as Electronic Arts.

So, do I have a shot? Anything I can do to mitigate some of the red flags in my profile that probably got me dinged from schools?

I have an update. I was waitlisted to Yale (Fuqua, and Stern), but accepted to Booth, Kellogg, and Haas.

Expert Post
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 11:59
That's wonderful news! Congrats on having 3 acceptances! I know there were some challenges we discussed with your experience level and non traditional career path, so hopefully it's reassuring for other applicants to know that M7 schools are not out of reach, even with those challenges. Now, how will you decide? :-)

Kate

Filthydelphia wrote:

I have an update. I was waitlisted to Yale (Fuqua, and Stern), but accepted to Booth, Kellogg, and Haas.

Kate Richardson

mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 12:18
Hi, I'm planning to apply this year for the 2019 intake.

Indian, Female, 25.

- Undergrad : 3.2/4, Economics at a top-5 Indian college. (Would it be a low GPA as it's an arts degree, and the course was very subjective?)

- GMAT - yet to give.

- Work experience - 3 years at Management consulting (MBB), 1 year at a United Nations organization (outside of India)

Worked in different areas - strategy, corporate finance, performance improvement, due diligence, consumer markets etc. to grasp the fundamentals of management consulting. Made a shift to the humanitarian sector by working full time with a UN agency. Engaged with stakeholders at all levels,

-Leadership at undergraduate - Heavily involved in extra-curricular committees - I was marketing head of a prestigious committee, leading a team of 15 members, that led to the highest sponsorship amount received, of an Indian classical music festival, marketing head of economics department events, etc. Was briefly involved with leading the fundraising aspect of a social venture, for a friend. Also attended an NYU Stern leadership exchange program one summer.

- Leadership at work - Managed a team of 4 for a year and was the direct point of contact for clients. Coached, trained junior class at work and actively involved in recruitment etc. At the current job, I'm involved in developing project management training tools and coaching incoming interns on fundamentals like excel, powerpoint, data research and project management.

- Community - Taught underprivileged students English and Math during undergraduate program and first company. Shifted to full-time role at the United Nations, with an entirely humanitarian role.

- Post MBA goals - Continue the career in the humanitarian/social impact space, with a focus on fundraising or private-sector partnerships.

- I've lived in four countries, and have pursued music as a hobby for 20+ years (very passionate, have won awards), dubbed for an award-winning social film as a child, and composed two original songs.

Thank you.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there!

You have a really interesting profile! Your work experience is especially strong with the combination of prestige from MBB and now being at a UN organization, plus the international exposure you have gained, plus the humanitarian focus to your work. I think Yale will be really impressed and see that you can bring a lot of value to their socially conscious class. Keep up the good work!

I also think you have some interesting points outside of work, like your passion (and success!) as a musician, your time spent living in other countries, and your leadership in college activities. It would be ideal if these leadership roles continued post-college, but I agree that the nature of your work will "count" for this now.

The only possible challenge I see is with your GPA. 3.2 is on the low side. But Economics will be seen positively as a major, as it often involves very analytical work. The best way to counteract a low GPA is to get a high GMAT, so aim to be as close to, if not above Yale's 730 median. Hopefully you've got a good study plan in place and you are getting started soon! You want to allow yourself plenty of time to work on the application and essays before the Round 1 deadline.

So in summary, I think you're a great fit for Yale, assuming you can get that GMAT to be on par with all the other strengths in your profile. Best of luck and feel free to reach back out once you have your score in hand!

Best,
Kate

ants92 wrote:

Indian, Female, 25.

- Undergrad : 3.2/4, Economics at a top-5 Indian college. (Would it be a low GPA as it's an arts degree, and the course was very subjective?)

- GMAT - yet to give.

- Work experience - 3 years at Management consulting (MBB), 1 year at a United Nations organization (outside of India)

Worked in different areas - strategy, corporate finance, performance improvement, due diligence, consumer markets etc. to grasp the fundamentals of management consulting. Made a shift to the humanitarian sector by working full time with a UN agency. Engaged with stakeholders at all levels,

-Leadership at undergraduate - Heavily involved in extra-curricular committees - I was marketing head of a prestigious committee, leading a team of 15 members, that led to the highest sponsorship amount received, of an Indian classical music festival, marketing head of economics department events, etc. Was briefly involved with leading the fundraising aspect of a social venture, for a friend. Also attended an NYU Stern leadership exchange program one summer.

- Leadership at work - Managed a team of 4 for a year and was the direct point of contact for clients. Coached, trained junior class at work and actively involved in recruitment etc. At the current job, I'm involved in developing project management training tools and coaching incoming interns on fundamentals like excel, powerpoint, data research and project management.

- Community - Taught underprivileged students English and Math during undergraduate program and first company. Shifted to full-time role at the United Nations, with an entirely humanitarian role.

- Post MBA goals - Continue the career in the humanitarian/social impact space, with a focus on fundraising or private-sector partnerships.

- I've lived in four countries, and have pursued music as a hobby for 20+ years (very passionate, have won awards), dubbed for an award-winning social film as a child, and composed two original songs.

Thank you.

Kate Richardson

Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 03:29
ants92 wrote:

Indian, Female, 25.

For your age, gender, good UG and Economics stream, the GPA is decent.

ants92 wrote:
- GMAT - yet to give.

Excellent on these stats.

ants92 wrote:

Full Marks again...

ants92 wrote:

Thank you.

Theoretically,
Great content.

Practically, your work in multiple areas (strategy, corporate finance, performance improvement, due diligence, consumer markets etc) may lift you up way high, or may raise red flags on the implicit reasons, and a lack of clarity.

With good support for your essays, LORs & Application Material (and of course a high GMAT score), you may get a high scholarship in the top schools.
Suggest you to get a stellar GMAT, and take it from there. Happy to help

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Re: Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 03:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap