GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 08:27
Hi ABBBCCCCC,

Thanks for posting. I think on paper, you have the components of a strong profile for Silver Scholars. They look for candidates who demonstrate "intelligence, curiosity, maturity, passion, and compassion for others". It sounds like you'll be able to demonstrate many of these qualities through your strong academics and GMAT, your leadership on campus, and pro bono work. One component that is harder for me to judge is the strength of your internship experience, as Yale seeks high potential leaders who have made an impact (even in small ways as an intern). So if there are experiences/accomplishments that set you apart from other interns and demonstrate how you made a difference (for the firm, for clients, for your team), make sure those come through in your resume, essay, and recommendations.

Finally, Silver Scholars is a very selective program and you need to show maturity and thoughtfulness about your career goals -- why consulting is a good fit for you, what specific areas of consulting you're most curious about, and why you're confident that you want to begin to pursue your MBA at this early stage in your career.

If you can do those things, I think you've got a shot, though again it is very selective.
Hope this helps!
Kate

ABBBCCCCC wrote:
Hello Team!
I would be grateful if you could evaluate my profile for Yale SOM Silver Scholars

Personal:
Nationality: Indian

Academics:
Grade 10: 10 CGPA
Grade 12: 97%+ (100% in Mathematics)
CGPA: 8.5 (On 10)
Major: Bachelors in Commerce (Honors) from a Top College in the University of Delhi (Think: SRCC, Hindu)
GMAT: 760 (Q50 V42 IR8)

Internships and Work-Ex:
Interned with a Big 4 in Transaction Advisory
Interned with an ERP Implementation Company in ERP and New Ventures

Leadership and Co-Curricular:
Head of 2 Societies in College. Initiated 2 new activities alongside managing a PAN India level Fest
President at the branch of an International Pro-Bono Consultancy (Operating in 30+ Countries)
Won 3 Competitions (Case study, Strategy and Finance)
Finalist in 3 International Competitions

Projects for NGO's and Startups:
Organisational Restructuring, Impact Measurement and Plan Creation for a Grass Roots NGO
Market Entry for a UN SDG 11 & 13 Complaint Startup

Post MBA Goals:
I want to explore industries as a Consultant for 5-.7 years
Post that, I MIGHT want to transition into a tech-backed business on the basis of how my interest shapes up in the next few years

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 10:11
mba2018pls wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
mba2018pls wrote:
Hi All!

I am applying round 1 and wanted to know how my profile holds up:

I am an African American female and graduated from a top 10 university in 2015. Majored in Politics Science with an economics minor.

GPA: 3.4

GRE Exam Results:
158 V / 156 Q
160 V / 154 Q
160 V / 151 Q - (I'll probably only send the first two)

WE:
3 years in media/entertainment
-For two years, I worked at one of the top three (i.e ABC/CBS/NBC) media companies in research and strategy. I was promoted after 1 year.
-Within the last year, I worked at a major talent agency (i.e CAA/WME/ICM/UTA) in talent department as an agent assistant. I now work at a production company headed by a showrunner with two series on air. I am tasked with reading scripts (to see if it might be something my boss wants to develop) and understanding the current content landscape as well as developing a company strategy. It has a start uppy feel
-In addition, I am the executive director of a local scholarship fund (in charge of reading materials and selecting scholarship recipients)
-For two years, while working in media, I was a researcher for the head of entrepreneurship/econ development for a city that experienced bankruptcy in 2015 (sorry for the vague language. trying to remain somewhat anonymous on here).

Post MBA:
I want to work in the entertainment in strategy/business development.

What are my chances? I would like to raise my math score but am unsure if I want to retake the test again when I need to focus on my applications. I was thinking of doing that online math course to show that I have mathematical ability.

Hi @2018MBApls ...fellow former media marketing research manager here.

I'm afraid I would recommend that you retake the GRE and strive for a higher quant score (hopefully higher overall score, of course, but quant being the most urgent).
The 80% range for SOM for quant, for the class of 2019, is 160-169.
https://som.yale.edu/programs/mba/admissions/class-profile

I always urge my clients to only apply to schools where they are within the 80% range; if you are underrepresented, given solid credentials and a great application, being at the lower end of the range will often work, but I feel it would be irresponsible to advise you to move forward with an app where your scores are outside the 80% range. Not impossible, of course, but very implausible. I like the expression to always treat yourself as the rule and not the exception.

Thank you - I never took a prep course so I am now signing up for one and praying I can get 160+ in quant. I'l retake before the Round 1 deadline
@2018MBApls

Good, well it's nice to know that you feel there might be some opportunity for improvement and it's always best to make sure that your test scores are absolutely the highest possible before submitting.
Given that this is important I would not pitch it over the fence to the test prep company but join a study group, maybe even hire a tutor in parallel, apply a couple different methodologies here.

Round one is coming up pretty quick, I really advise that candidates take at least two solid months to work on CV, rec talking points, app boxes, essays and prepping for video essays. I'm guessing that you are applying through the Consortium so the deadline would be a bit later?

It's important to remember that no one is admitting a test score it's necessary but not sufficient..... if they are not interested in what they see on the application....which takes time, effort and research....they won't really care about the score.

For many candidates applying to round one is a necessity because they really only have so many spots to fill for that profile type and tons of applicants....but being African-American round 2 is not going to torpedo your candidacy. It's more important that you have competitive scores, which are okay to be a little less than the average but within the 80% range.

So I would say to strive for around 1 but do not commit hari-kari if you need to apply to round 2.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GRE 1: Q164 V164
GPA: 3.85
Premium Member
Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 09:15
Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Background: Applying in Fall 2018 Round 1 for Fall 2019 start date.
Race/nationality: White, US
Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: University of Pittsburgh, Accounting/Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GMAT Score: 760 Total, 49Q, 44V, AWA 6, IR 8

Work experience and leadership: 3 years of work experience upon submission of applications in Fall 2018 (4 upon planned matriculation) in Big 4 Public Accounting, Audit. I have completed a rotation in the TAS practice at my firm (specifically due diligence) and will be transferring full-time next Spring (I think this is a big selling point and shows growth in my career as the rotations are very selective in my office/firm).

Community and Others:
Volunteer dog-walker at local animal rescue shelters, helping to prepare and lead a booth at the upcoming Made in America festival in Philly.
Volunteer at LLS, organized multiple charity events and an office-wide team for a stair climb event.
President of Beta Alpha Psi during undergrad.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant during undergrad
Recipient of scholarship awarded to "Top Achieving Academic Student" during undergrad.
IM Leagues

Certifications: Licensed CPA

Post-Grad Goal of MBA: To secure a position with a BB Investment Bank (specifically M&A/Core IB division), with the ultimate goal of transitioning to Corporate Development for a F100-F500 Company in consumer products. I want to consolidate companies in the industry to create a company that creates innovative products which make a difference in the day-to-day lives of consumers.

Additional: I think my WE/Demographic will lead to an uphill battle but my stats are strong and I think my extra-curriculars are solid. My recs should also be quite strong.
INSEAD Thread Master
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 06:26
EricSayres wrote:
Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Background: Applying in Fall 2018 Round 1 for Fall 2019 start date.
Race/nationality: White, US
Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: University of Pittsburgh, Accounting/Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GMAT Score: 760 Total, 49Q, 44V, AWA 6, IR 8

Work experience and leadership: 3 years of work experience upon submission of applications in Fall 2018 (4 upon planned matriculation) in Big 4 Public Accounting, Audit. I have completed a rotation in the TAS practice at my firm (specifically due diligence) and will be transferring full-time next Spring (I think this is a big selling point and shows growth in my career as the rotations are very selective in my office/firm).

Community and Others:
Volunteer dog-walker at local animal rescue shelters, helping to prepare and lead a booth at the upcoming Made in America festival in Philly.
Volunteer at LLS, organized multiple charity events and an office-wide team for a stair climb event.
President of Beta Alpha Psi during undergrad.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant during undergrad
Recipient of scholarship awarded to "Top Achieving Academic Student" during undergrad.
IM Leagues

Certifications: Licensed CPA

Post-Grad Goal of MBA: To secure a position with a BB Investment Bank (specifically M&A/Core IB division), with the ultimate goal of transitioning to Corporate Development for a F100-F500 Company in consumer products. I want to consolidate companies in the industry to create a company that creates innovative products which make a difference in the day-to-day lives of consumers.

Additional: I think my WE/Demographic will lead to an uphill battle but my stats are strong and I think my extra-curriculars are solid. My recs should also be quite strong.

EricSayres I don't have all the information, need more details about quality of work anecdotes, etc and if you can develop a differentiated narrative/persona. But if you can, throw an app in for not just Yale but Wharton. I think it looks promising. For Yale develop some altruistic goals.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 02:53
Hi,
Izzy here from Malaysia. Would appreciate an evaluation for my profile to get into Yale SOM.
I have over 7 years of work experience in Telco, Tech and Media industry.

Background
Born with 14 siblings and a deaf brother.
Challenging upbringing, a rural boy who went against odd received a government scholarship to pursue tertiary education in Australia.
Travelled across South East Asia, Central Asia and Europe across 15 countries.
Have been in the technology domain developing and launching digital services in the country.
Aspire to contribute back & advance South East Asia by spearheading initiatives on digital gov through cohesive policy planning, implementation and effective communication to public citizens.

Degree: Bc of Commerce (Accounting & Finance), The University of Sydney, Distinction (3.58 CGPA equivalent)

Ranked #1 in Management Accounting A and ranked #2 in Audit & Assurance

Professional Qualification: CFA charterholder
GMAT: 720 (Q47, V41)

Work Experience
6 years (including one year secondment in digital commerce co) in a large telecommunication company in Malaysia, presence in over 7 countries and 250 million subscribers
- Launched JVCo for a digital commerce co in Malaysia, become largest locally owned eCommerce site in Malaysia
- Built foundation for digital payment in Malaysia, stake acquisition in remittance co and setup of an emerging digital payment co in Malaysia
- Top 50 of 12,000 employees, youngest recipient for a regional employee award at the age of 26

Currently (1 year) in the largest public listed media company in Malaysia with USD1.5 billion in revenue
- Oversaw USD15 million of core digital transformation across supply chain and customer facing business units
- Conceptualised and developed 2 Center of Excellence (CoE) for business efficiencies, expected long term 3-year savings over USD3 million
- Among youngest Assistant Vice President (AVP) in the company at the age of 29

Extra curricular activities
Mentor and advisor for Peneraju foundation, a government backed set up to spur number of CFA charterholders in Malaysia
Advisor and volunteer for Young CEO Development Programme, an initiative to groom future leaders in the country

Short term goal
Join Mckinsey Center of Government or BCG Center of Public Impacts and work on public sector initiatives globally and across the region

Long term goal
Lead Government Performance Delivery Unit to drive agenda on government transformation

Feedbacks and responses are highlightly appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 12:40
Hi everyone,

Background:
Korean-American (born in Brooklyn)
Age 27
GMAT 710

Education:
BBA in Risk Management and Insurance from Temple University
Honors Program, Magna Cum Laude, GPA: 3.76

Work Experience: Total 5 years
Job 1 (2 years) - Global Property Underwriter at world's largest publicly traded insurance company. Analyzed and managed risk for complex multinational property portfolios.

Job 2 (3 years) - Co-Founder/CEO of energy efficiency consulting company. Started the company during my sophomore year of college and worked part-time while working at the insurance firm until it grew to the point where I decided to pursue the energy consulting full-time. Worked with property managers, building owners, etc to convert their facilities to up to 70% efficiency. Portfolio annual savings at about $1M.

Extra curriculars - After winning first place at a business pitch competition for Emerging Young Entrepreneurs, joined as an advisor/assistant director of the program focused on fostering and accelerating underrepresented minority-owned businesses to work with government and corporate entities.
At the time of application, will be working in Singapore for a network organization connecting non-profit startup ventures to impact investors and government grants.
In college and throughout my insurance role, contributed to a firm that is dedicated to creating opportunities for asian-americans in leadership roles in corporations.

Post MBA Goal - further hone business strategy consulting skills to support global social enterprises in creating sustainable business models. Long-term goal: create a fund that supports social enterprises with the potential for financial returns for investors.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2018, 00:21
Would request you to please evaluate my profile. Planning to apply for the R2 deadline in January 2019.

Nationality: Indian Male, Commerce graduate, Bachelor of Business Adminstration. Will be 32 years old at time of matriculaiton.

Undergrad percentage: 61% from University of Mumbai

Post graduate diploma in Management: 4.3/7

Gmat score: 700 (planning to retake the test by December '18 end)

Work experience total 7 years, will be 8 by matriculation: 2 years in KPO, 5 years in Banking operations. I started as management trainee and later was the Senior Analyst for Trade operations in corporate banking. After that I moved into commercial banking as a team leader and eventually became Assistant Manager managing a team of 8 for credit card payments, financial instruments clearing and doorstep banking activities. I've also been instrumental in the development of an online tracking system for banking deliverables to customers.

Extra curriculars: Organising and leading CSR and other corporate events at my workplaces. Have also volunteered at an NGO for mentoring underpriveleged children

Post MBA goals: Transition from banking to management consulting providing operational consulting for financial institutions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here &nbs [#permalink] 05 Dec 2018, 00:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 67 posts ] 

Yale Profile Evaluation Thread - Post All Requests Here

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AUSJ

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap