Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GRE 1: Q164 V164
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Background: Applying in Fall 2018 Round 1 for Fall 2019 start date.
Race/nationality: White, US
Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: University of Pittsburgh, Accounting/Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GMAT Score: 760 Total, 49Q, 44V, AWA 6, IR 8

Work experience and leadership: 3 years of work experience upon submission of applications in Fall 2018 (4 upon planned matriculation) in Big 4 Public Accounting, Audit. I have completed a rotation in the TAS practice at my firm (specifically due diligence) and will be transferring full-time next Spring (I think this is a big selling point and shows growth in my career as the rotations are very selective in my office/firm).

Community and Others:
Volunteer dog-walker at local animal rescue shelters, helping to prepare and lead a booth at the upcoming Made in America festival in Philly.
Volunteer at LLS, organized multiple charity events and an office-wide team for a stair climb event.
President of Beta Alpha Psi during undergrad.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant during undergrad
Recipient of scholarship awarded to "Top Achieving Academic Student" during undergrad.
IM Leagues

Certifications: Licensed CPA

Post-Grad Goal of MBA: To secure a position with a BB Investment Bank (specifically M&A/Core IB division), with the ultimate goal of transitioning to Corporate Development for a F100-F500 Company in consumer products. I want to consolidate companies in the industry to create a company that creates innovative products which make a difference in the day-to-day lives of consumers.

Additional: I think my WE/Demographic will lead to an uphill battle but my stats are strong and I think my extra-curriculars are solid. My recs should also be quite strong.
Send PM
Re: Yale Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
EricSayres wrote:
Thank you so much in advance for the help!

Background: Applying in Fall 2018 Round 1 for Fall 2019 start date.
Race/nationality: White, US
Sex: Male

Undergrad school/major: University of Pittsburgh, Accounting/Finance
Undergrad GPA: 3.85

GMAT Score: 760 Total, 49Q, 44V, AWA 6, IR 8

Work experience and leadership: 3 years of work experience upon submission of applications in Fall 2018 (4 upon planned matriculation) in Big 4 Public Accounting, Audit. I have completed a rotation in the TAS practice at my firm (specifically due diligence) and will be transferring full-time next Spring (I think this is a big selling point and shows growth in my career as the rotations are very selective in my office/firm).

Community and Others:
Volunteer dog-walker at local animal rescue shelters, helping to prepare and lead a booth at the upcoming Made in America festival in Philly.
Volunteer at LLS, organized multiple charity events and an office-wide team for a stair climb event.
President of Beta Alpha Psi during undergrad.
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant during undergrad
Recipient of scholarship awarded to "Top Achieving Academic Student" during undergrad.
IM Leagues

Certifications: Licensed CPA

Post-Grad Goal of MBA: To secure a position with a BB Investment Bank (specifically M&A/Core IB division), with the ultimate goal of transitioning to Corporate Development for a F100-F500 Company in consumer products. I want to consolidate companies in the industry to create a company that creates innovative products which make a difference in the day-to-day lives of consumers.

Additional: I think my WE/Demographic will lead to an uphill battle but my stats are strong and I think my extra-curriculars are solid. My recs should also be quite strong.

EricSayres I don't have all the information, need more details about quality of work anecdotes, etc and if you can develop a differentiated narrative/persona. But if you can, throw an app in for not just Yale but Wharton. I think it looks promising. For Yale develop some altruistic goals.
Send PM
Expert Reply
izulman wrote:
Hi,
Izzy here from Malaysia. Would appreciate an evaluation for my profile to get into Yale SOM.
I have over 7 years of work experience in Telco, Tech and Media industry.

Background
Born with 14 siblings and a deaf brother.
Challenging upbringing, a rural boy who went against odd received a government scholarship to pursue tertiary education in Australia.
Travelled across South East Asia, Central Asia and Europe across 15 countries.
Have been in the technology domain developing and launching digital services in the country.
Aspire to contribute back & advance South East Asia by spearheading initiatives on digital gov through cohesive policy planning, implementation and effective communication to public citizens.

Degree: Bc of Commerce (Accounting & Finance)
Distinction (3.58 CGPA equivalent)

Professional Qualification: CFA charterholder
GMAT: 700 (Q48, V38)

Work Experience
6 years (including one year secondment in digital commerce co) in a large telecommunication company in Malaysia, presence in over 7 countries and 250 million subscribers
- Launched JVCo for a digital commerce co in Malaysia, become largest locally owned eCommerce site in Malaysia
- Built foundation for digital payment in Malaysia, stake acquisition in remittance co and setup of an emerging digital payment co in Malaysia
- Top 50 of 12,000 employees, youngest recipient for a regional employee award at the age of 26

Currently (1 year) in the largest public listed media company in Malaysia with USD1.5 billion in revenue
- Oversaw USD15 million of core digital transformation across supply chain and customer facing business units
- Conceptualised and developed 2 Center of Excellence (CoE) for business efficiencies, expected long term 3-year savings over USD3 million
- Among youngest Assistant Vice President (AVP) in the company at the age of 29

Extra curricular activities
Mentor and advisor for Peneraju foundation, a government backed set up to spur number of CFA charterholders in Malaysia
Advisor and volunteer for Young CEO Development Programme, an initiative to groom future leaders in the country

Short term goal
Join Mckinsey Center of Government or BCG Center of Public Impacts and work on public sector initiatives globally and across the region

Long term goal
Lead Government Performance Delivery Unit to drive agenda on government transformation

Feedbacks and responses are highlightly appreciated.

izulman it's unfortunate that no one responded, well the good news is that I believe you are a very solid candidate, interesting story, and I love your extracurriculars. Also, your goal is very on-brand with SOM wheelhouse. Research yourself, your goals and SOM to help them get to know you well and show fit; prepare for the video questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 435
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
Send PM
edited

Originally posted by izulman on 10 Aug 2018, 03:53.
Last edited by izulman on 26 Mar 2019, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi everyone,

Background:
Korean-American (born in Brooklyn)
Age 27
GMAT 710

Education:
BBA in Risk Management and Insurance from Temple University
Honors Program, Magna Cum Laude, GPA: 3.76

Work Experience: Total 5 years
Job 1 (2 years) - Global Property Underwriter at world's largest publicly traded insurance company. Analyzed and managed risk for complex multinational property portfolios.

Job 2 (3 years) - Co-Founder/CEO of energy efficiency consulting company. Started the company during my sophomore year of college and worked part-time while working at the insurance firm until it grew to the point where I decided to pursue the energy consulting full-time. Worked with property managers, building owners, etc to convert their facilities to up to 70% efficiency. Portfolio annual savings at about $1M.

Extra curriculars - After winning first place at a business pitch competition for Emerging Young Entrepreneurs, joined as an advisor/assistant director of the program focused on fostering and accelerating underrepresented minority-owned businesses to work with government and corporate entities.
At the time of application, will be working in Singapore for a network organization connecting non-profit startup ventures to impact investors and government grants.
In college and throughout my insurance role, contributed to a firm that is dedicated to creating opportunities for asian-americans in leadership roles in corporations.

Post MBA Goal - further hone business strategy consulting skills to support global social enterprises in creating sustainable business models. Long-term goal: create a fund that supports social enterprises with the potential for financial returns for investors.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Would request you to please evaluate my profile. Planning to apply for the R2 deadline in January 2019.

Nationality: Indian Male, Commerce graduate, Bachelor of Business Adminstration. Will be 32 years old at time of matriculaiton.

Undergrad percentage: 61% from University of Mumbai

Post graduate diploma in Management: 4.3/7

Gmat score: 700 (planning to retake the test by December '18 end)

Work experience total 7 years, will be 8 by matriculation: 2 years in KPO, 5 years in Banking operations. I started as management trainee and later was the Senior Analyst for Trade operations in corporate banking. After that I moved into commercial banking as a team leader and eventually became Assistant Manager managing a team of 8 for credit card payments, financial instruments clearing and doorstep banking activities. I've also been instrumental in the development of an online tracking system for banking deliverables to customers.

Extra curriculars: Organising and leading CSR and other corporate events at my workplaces. Have also volunteered at an NGO for mentoring underpriveleged children

Post MBA goals: Transition from banking to management consulting providing operational consulting for financial institutions.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

Here is my profile

About: Indian, Male, 28 years old

Education: Bachelors in Electronics from IIT Madras, 86.5% cumulative score

GMAT: 730

Work Experience: Total 5.5 years till date (with 10 months gap in between as explained below)

3 years in a well known Tech MNC as a system software engineer. Worked in the core driver development department. Gained a complete working knowledge of SDLC. No international exposure but have experience working with international teams.

Quit company to start my own IT services firm. 10-month gap after quitting and before incorporation of my company. Time was spent mainly on product development and getting the first customer

The startup has recently been rendered dormant (after operating for 1.5 years) due to market acceptance challenges. We were working on location related software solutions for clients. At our high point, we had 9 customers and an estimated revenue of INR 15,00,000 (USD 20,000). My biggest mistake was lack of planning at the start owing to nil business expertise and being from non-business background. I did not anticipate competition and did not have a clear understanding of customer requirements. I lacked market research.

Although the startup stint has failed, I have gained immense experience. I led a development team of 4 developers and 2 interns, created a sales pipeline and employed 2 sales executives for regular lead generation and client conversion, did a lot of networking by attending many local events and club meetings, was (and still am) part of a number of startup related https://gmatclub.com/chat groups etc...

Extra-curriculars: I have done Assistantships during college, organized events. In 2017, I conducted a month-long Android workshop in a local reputed college. I have also participated as a mentor in the Smart India Hackathon 2017 & 2018 where I guided a team of undergrads.

Post-MBA goals: I have developed a strong taste for entrepreneurship and as a long-term goal, I want to build large businesses. However, at the moment repairing my career is a top priority. I would like to learn corporate strategy & sales & marketing from an academic perspective and would like to engage in similar roles after MBA. I am more inclined towards planning and strategy (owing to my failures in startup and the interest I have generated in this area), but I am also keenly interested in sales & marketing.

Anything else ?
I want to qualify for a top MBA program and I am hoping the startup stint will get me there. I am from India where startup culture has not taken off as much as in USA. However, when considering international MBA programs, I believe there would be too many people having failed startups, applying for MBA. I am concerned about the uniqueness of my profile. I am also not sure how the failed startup would play out in my favor.

Would love to hear some feedback on my profile & my chances of making into Yale.

Thank You
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi All,
Would appreciate a profile evaluation. Targeting R1 next year.

Background and nationality: Indian Female

Undergrad Information: B.Tech - ECE. Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University(MSIT). CGPA: 8.9(one of the toppers of my stream)

GMAT: 760

Work experience and leadership : 4.5 years at present in a techno-functional role. Working as a Senior Software Engineer in Infosys Ltd serving domestic and international banks. Have worked with private, public sector and international banks, all at client site. Currently heading all clients in Africa and Sri Lanka region (about 2 years of international work ex). Regarded as a domain expert and have worked as a team lead in multiple project implementations.

Awards: Top Performer in the Entry Level Training, Most Promising Joinee Award, Listed as Infosys Pride Factor, Awarded by multiple clients for contribution to the project.
Was the head of Self-Governance Team in Infosys for a year.

Community and others : Associated with Leaders for Tomorrow and part of their project – Igniting Young Minds to provide life skills to the disadvantaged; Member of Help Age India in higher secondary for care of disadvantaged elderly.
Recently Joined Toastmasters. Awarded as Best Table Topic Speaker in the guest meeting. Event Head of Technical Fest in college ensuring a footfall of more than 2500 people in the event. Member of the organization committee of Infosys Finacle Fever’15.

Post MBA goals: Investment Banking, Consulting.

Thank you for your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi everyone, I appreciate that you are willing to take out time to review my chances at Yale, thank you!

I've applied in R2 and my profile is as follows :)

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 700 and then 730 (improved score in 2 months)
Undergrad: Bachelor of Business studies from Delhi University
Undergraduate GPA: not sure of the conversion but got a First division - 73%
Have taken 2 courses with a A grade at Harvard Summer School during college

Current work ex: 3.5 Years
Work in straetgy consulting at a Big 4 in Dubai. Worked on projects across the Middle East.. promoted to senior consultant.

Extra Curriculars:
- Volunteer 20hrs + per week as Marketing and Communications Manager, Middle East for a non-profit based out of Chicago. Have had a quantifiable impact on the total outreach and funds raised at annual event.
- Have held multiple leadership positions in college and school. Organised a national level event. Volunteered with NGOs extensively in college also
- Represented the country internationally in an individual sport. Won national tournaments also (this was in school though)

Short term goal: Pivot from for profit consulting to social impact consulting.

What are my chances?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi guys,

New to the gmat club. Please evaluate my profile.

Background and nationality ; Indian , Btech in Electronics and commn
Undergrad Information - scored 65 % overall ( I know pretty low), X-88.4%,XIIth-80.2%
GMAT:750 ( I hope it can compensate my low undergrad)
Work experience and leadership ; Total 3 yrs of experience in Healthcare consulting/analytics domain working for large clients like GSK, BMS. Managed few and trained some fellow associates.
Community and others ; Participated in companies CSR activities, Anti drug campaign in college, and was a part of an NGO creating awareness about astronomy in general public.
Post MBA goals ; Want to get into niche consulting area since i have relevant experience.
Anything else?
Won two times award for an astronomy quiz on a state level and visited two national astrophysics laboratoies in India.

Please review my profile and let me know what can i do to get an admit? and is it wise enought to apply for yale ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello Team!
I would love to hear your thoughts on my profile.

Personal:
Nationality: Canadian

Academics:
CGPA: 3.0/4.0 - major family issues throughout university
Major: Bachelors in Commerce (Honors) Finance from a top 3 Canadian School
GMAT: 760 (Q50 V42)

Internships and Work-Ex:
Summer Internal Audit at IHG Group
1.33 Year Internship at IBM Canada HQ in Finance
3 Years SAP Consultant with IBM Canada

Leadership and Co-Curricular:
Executive Position with the Free Masons of Toronto
3 Dragon-boat Local Championships
Volunteer Service at Bluedoor Homeless Shelters

Post MBA Goals:
Want to start a venture capital firm specializing in green energy and other environmental startups.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Experts!

I'd like to kindly request you for your feedback on my profile. Here goes.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720
Industry: Consulting (Front end consulting role in one of the largest HR Consulting organizations in the world, typically held by Tier-1 MBA professionals)

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience: Total 4+ years (in india)
Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Working in the strategic HR consulting for last 1 year.

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Work in MBB strategy consulting firms

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sid5050 wrote:
Hi Experts!

I'd like to kindly request you for your feedback on my profile. Here goes.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720
Industry: Consulting (Front end consulting role in one of the largest HR Consulting organizations in the world, typically held by Tier-1 MBA professionals)

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience: Total 4+ years (in india)
Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Working in the strategic HR consulting for last 1 year.

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Work in MBB strategy consulting firms

Hi Sid,

I hope you are planning to retake GMAT. Your GPA is average and an okayish GMAT score (below the average of many programs you are considering) is not going to help very much. This, in my opinion, is your biggest profile building exercise for now.

You experience sounds good otherwise. You will need to demonstrate some high impact experiences that helped your companies/projects positively (possibly quantitative outcomes). Your work in election strategy could present an opportunity to show your ability to work with a variety of people. Ultimately it would be your onus to put your varied experiences into a cohesive story. Your target programs (Yale/HBS)want to know your passion and vision for the future, so make it a point to show some synergy between the two- i.e the work you have done so far, the passion you have developed, and how the future goals will help advance it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Hello,

Ethnicity:
Korean-American

Academics:
Top 10 U.S. University (not known for engineering)
Majored in Mechanical Engineering and Minored in Finance

GMAT:
740 (2nd attempt; thinking about retaking the GMAT again to achieve a score of 750+ due to my demographic)

Experience:
100% in the aerospace industry (internships)

Current Job:
Engineer at Fortune 100 Aerospace Engineering Firm

Intended Post-MBA Career:
Management consulting (MBB), using my experiences in the engineering industry (both small and large firms) to help clients with problems unique to the intersection of business and engineering.

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Hello All !

Please evaluate my profile and let me know on the chances of getting in

Nationality : Indian
Class X : 93%
CLass 12 : 98%
Btech in Mechanical engineering( JNTU university hyderabad) : 86%
Mtech in BITS Pilani (WILP) : 97.5%
GMAT Score : 710

Overall 6 years of experience in Aerospace manufacturing company " Tata Advanced systems Limited"
3 years in Operations ( Production, Engineering, Tooling)
3 years in Supply chain ( Strategic sourcing team)
Certifications:
Lean six sigma green belt trained and led several projects

Extra curriculars :
Participated in indoor sports and atheltics at school, college and comapny level.
Participated in CSR initiatives from company side.

Post MBA goal:
Leading global supply chain teams across different industries.

Please let me know.

Thanks !

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GRE 1: Q170 V164
GPA: 3.75
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SharanyaReddy3006 wrote:
Hello All !

Please evaluate my profile and let me know on the chances of getting in

Nationality : Indian
Class X : 93%
CLass 12 : 98%
Btech in Mechanical engineering( JNTU university hyderabad) : 86%
Mtech in BITS Pilani (WILP) : 97.5%
GMAT Score : 710

Overall 6 years of experience in Aerospace manufacturing company " Tata Advanced systems Limited"
3 years in Operations ( Production, Engineering, Tooling)
3 years in Supply chain ( Strategic sourcing team)
Certifications:
Lean six sigma green belt trained and led several projects

Extra curriculars :
Participated in indoor sports and atheltics at school, college and comapny level.
Participated in CSR initiatives from company side.

Post MBA goal:
Leading global supply chain teams across different industries.

Please let me know.

Thanks !

I think you have a pretty good chance. Focus on how your goal in supply chain will add value for people in the world in your application. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Can you retake the GMAT and get a higher score?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
Send PM
Hello !

Thank you for your response.

I am planning to retake but I am not sure if the score will increase as my last test was 6 months back.

Also, I am looking at an admit with scholarship, how do I know the amount of scholarship given by various schools for the purposes of school selection.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Yale and Darden Moderator
74 posts