GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 18:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The Nat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The Nat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Nov 2016, 07:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

79% (01:42) correct 21% (02:05) wrong based on 416 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The National Rifle Association has done a good job of persuading its members that registration is the first step toward confiscation of all weapons. Nonsense. Americans register, among other things, their cars, their dogs, and the births of their children. Yet, confiscation of cars, cocker spaniels, and infants has never been a great problem.

Which one of the following best describes the major flaw in the author’s reasoning?

A) He ignores the danger to the general public posed by unregulated weapons sales.

B) He ignores the potential for bureaucratic mismanagement of any such registration effort.

C) He ignores the existence of dog catchers, tow trucks, and child-welfare officers.

D) He ignores the differences between firearms and other items that make the former a more likely target for confiscation.

E) He ignores the expertise of the members of the National Rifle Association.

Originally posted by carcass on 19 Mar 2016, 09:05.
Last edited by Vyshak on 04 Nov 2016, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Updated OA
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The Nat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 09:24
B, C and E are either irrelevant or out of scope.

A. He ignores the danger to the general public posed by unregulated weapons sales. - Incorrect - The argument nowhere mentions the danger caused by unregulated weapons sales. This also appears to be an out of scope option choice.

D. He ignores the differences between firearms and other items that make the former a more likely target for confiscation. - Correct - The argument speaks about confiscation of firearms and directly compares this activity to confiscation of other items.

IMO answer is D
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The Nat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2016, 09:57
We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The National Rifle Association has done a good job of persuading its members that registration is the first step toward confiscation of all weapons. Nonsense. Americans register, among other things, their cars, their dogs, and the births of their children. Yet, confiscation of cars, cocker spaniels, and infants has never been a great problem.

The author criticizes the National Rifle Association about the registration of all the weapons. Then he compares it with the other things such as their cars, their dogs, and the births of their children.

only option D fits.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 00:24
please change the ans to d its not a.
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V25
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Design (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 04:54
carcass wrote:

Which one of the following best describes the major flaw in the author’s reasoning?

He ignores the danger to the general public posed by unregulated weapons sales.

He ignores the potential for bureaucratic mismanagement of any such registration effort.

He ignores the existence of dog catchers, tow trucks, and child-welfare officers.

He ignores the differences between firearms and other items that make the former a more likely target for confiscation.

He ignores the expertise of the members of the National Rifle Association.

The OA is D, dear author kindly change the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 11:07
Please explain why A is the OA ? I think the OA must be D ?
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2016, 13:03
options B,C and E are completely out of scope options or irrelevant
The real deal is to choose between options A and D
option A tells us about the danger to the general public posed by unregulated weapons sale whereas option D tells us about confiscation of firearms and compares this activity to confiscation of other items.
I would go with option D but still confused as to why is the correct answer A
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 08:58
What is the OA? If A, please somebody explain.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 21:53
I checked , the answer is D

OA needs to be corrected

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 05:36
carcass wrote:

He ignores the potential for bureaucratic mismanagement of any such registration effort.

He ignores the existence of dog catchers, tow trucks, and child-welfare officers.

He ignores the differences between firearms and other items that make the former a more likely target for confiscation.

OA is D as the author considers both to be similar items which is wrong refer to this link
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=WBV ... pe&f=false
Intern
Intern
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 03:39
carcass wrote:

I went for D too but after reading the stem once again I've changed my mind!
IMO, the answer can be A. Let's see what's wrong(maybe) with D.
D says the author ignores the difference between firearms and others (dogs, cars, etc). But the difference isn't contested in the second half of the stem; rather the firearms' threat to people is what separates firearms from others (cars, dogs, etc).

Confiscation of firearms is not similar to confiscation of cars,dogs etc as the dogs, cars,etc. don't posses as much threat as the firearms do. The author ignores this fact!

Hope it helps!
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 13:30
peekaysan wrote:
D says the author ignores the difference between firearms and others (dogs, cars, etc). But the difference isn't contested in the second half of the stem; rather the firearms' threat to people is what separates firearms from others (cars, dogs, etc).

Confiscation of firearms is not similar to confiscation of cars,dogs etc as the dogs, cars,etc. don't posses as much threat as the firearms do. The author ignores this fact!

Hope it helps!

Since there is no problem in confiscating registered items such as dogs, cars , children etc, the step towards registration of all firearms by NRA is not needed.

So, the authors weighs dogs, cars , children in the same scale as firearms.. However in real terms this is not at all true, fire arms can cause much more damage than other registered items...

(A) Talks about Weapon sales , which is in my opinion out of scope ...

(D) Stresses the important differences between firearms and other items in terms of need for confiscation...

Thus IMHO (D), what say others..

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 13:54
Abhishek009 wrote:
peekaysan wrote:

Hope it helps!

Since there is no problem in confiscating registered items such as dogs, cars , children etc, the step towards registration of all firearms by NRA is not needed.

So, the authors weighs dogs, cars , children in the same scale as firearms.. However in real terms this is not at all true, fire arms can cause much more damage than other registered items...

(A) Talks about Weapon sales , which is in my opinion out of scope ...

(D) Stresses the important differences between firearms and other items in terms of need for confiscation...

Thus IMHO (D), what say others..

Yes, I agree. The author uses a similarity between X and Y to prove his point. So a difference between X and Y would question his conclusion.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Johnson '21
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2016, 05:32
For this question, I double checked in GMAT Premier 2017, choice D is the OA. So, please correct it.
Current Student
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 08:55
Good Morning,
I was able to get answer down to B and D. B makes an attempt to introduce bureaucratic, when we do not have information or suggestion from the argument itself that points to such a concept. B steps outside the bounds of the argument. We would have to make an additional assumption in order to accept that to the be answer.

Therefore, D is the correct answer.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 03:17

NRA --> Asks members to register --> believes first step toward confiscation of all weapons. Nonsense as per author because as (s)he mentions in the latter part of his argument that registered things are easily confiscated.
Cars, dogs, and birth of children --> registered and are easily confiscated. The author believes that the confiscation forms an inherent part of the registration.

Therefore, the author compares Cars, dogs, and birth of children with firearms.

A) He ignores the danger to the general public posed by unregulated weapons sales.
Sales: OFS
B) He ignores the potential for bureaucratic mismanagement of any such registration effort.
[color=#0000ffBureaucratic mismanagement: OFS[/color]
C) He ignores the existence of dog catchers, tow trucks, and child-welfare officers.
dog catchers, tow trucks, and child-welfare officers : They represent only one part of the equation. Moreover, they only make the task of confiscation easier. So even if the author ignores these, this act won't attract any flaw to his reasoning.
D) He ignores the differences between firearms and other items that make the former a more likely target for confiscation.
Yes. The author assumes that both the entities are similar and thus they individually won't attract different levels of confiscation.
E) He ignores the expertise of the members of the National Rifle Association.
Expertise: OFS
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2019, 08:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The Nat   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2019, 08:54

We favor the registration of all firearms, regardless of type. The Nat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap