Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Re: Welcome to Ask mbaMission [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi
I already have an MBA from a reputed B school in India, does that mean that Ivy League universities and schools like INSEAD will not prefer me as a candidate?
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi stideshighdives - Interesting scores!

What I would do is submit your 710 as your official score. It is the highest overall so that should be your "primary" score. But then I would not cancel your 660, so that the higher Quant still shows on your score report. And I would also write an Optional Essay just to show self awareness that you know your submitted Quant score is not high, but that you did achieve a 48 on a prior test. You could also point out any Quant courses you've taken, or Quant responsibilities you have on the job, in that essay too. I think that will help mitigate most of their concern.

I think the final option worth considering is giving the test one more shot! I know you're probably burnt out, but perhaps with minimal studying you could combine that 48Q and 42V. Depends a bit on which schools you're targeting, and other aspects of your profile, but you clearly are capable of a higher overall score!

Best of luck,
Kate

stideshighdives wrote:
Hi MBA Mission,

I'm in a weird spot and I was wondering if you could offer me some advice. Just took my second GMAT.........

Scored 710 44Q/42V on my first administration. Was very disappointed that my Quant was so low, so I went back for a second go around and ended up doing 660 48Q/32V......I'm a native-speaker of English with an Ivy League background who has never scored lower than 40 on a practice test in Verbal. Needless to say I'm quite upset right now.

Can you offer me any advice? If I were applying, should I submit both scores to schools to let them know that I have aptitude in both Verbal and Quant? Would admissions officers even take that into consideration?

Thank you so much for any attention you're able to give to this question.
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes, that's completely fine. I've seen many applicants with two references from the same org, especially if you've been there awhile. You should, however, guide those two recommenders to try to highlight slightly different strengths/accomplishments, just so the two letters are not too repetitive.

Kate

persevere13 wrote:
With regards to Option A - Is it ok if I have two references from the same organisation?

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi there,
Yes that's correct that they prefer professional references. I would go with Option A. Schools also typically have a preference to see one of the two be your current supervisor, and if you don't have one from your current supervisor, you'd need to explain why.
Hope this helps!
Kate

persevere13 wrote:
I see most schools want two referees who know you in a professional capacity.

What would be a better choice?

A) Colleague whom you have worked extensively and a current supervisor?

B) Colleague whom you have worked extensively and a former supervisor?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hi ,
i'm shreyas babu from Bangalore ,India.
i have done my 3 year full time diploma program in planning and entrepreneurship at which specializing in marketing and finance in indian intitute of planning and management, Bangalore of which affiliated in IMI, Belgium.i'm just a fresher, i would to do higher studies,
so please suggest ideas what i can do like Msc in finance or direct MBA in some decent university.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hello ,
i am a final year student of computer science engineering ,from india. plz tell me :
1. i want to pursue one year accelerated mba in hedge funds . i don't have any undergraduate degrees or certificates in business . so am i eligible to do so ?
2. what are my chances of getting admission and scholarship in following colleges ?
London Business School, UK
Insead France / Singapore
IE Business School Spain
Iese Business School Spain
IMD Switzerland
HEC Paris France
Esade Business School Spain
3. what are the requiremens for getting admission and "scholarship " in
these above colleges and which will be better for a foreigner like me to pursue mba in hedge funds ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Gmat 710
Phd engg from top 10 US univ
Btech, iit
10 yrs work ex in top brand company, middle management

Applying to hsw, mit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
hi,
i gave my gmat on sunday : i scored 650 , previous attempt ( 660)
what went wrong: quants ( 49) verbal ( 30).

nationality: indian
work ex : 3.4

i was constanly scring 680-720 in manhatan test and also in gmat prep ;

actually after doing quants duing the break i lost 1.5 min, i tried to ignore it but may be it had a phycological effect.

i had applied to these colleges :

darthmouth ( tuck)
duke ( faqua)
booth
yale
kelly( indiana)

i want to appear again :

i have few question;
1 for round 2 by what time can i appy in time
2 if i go for round three by what time should i appear , and what kind of score i might need,

3 do you think applying in round three will make it very difficult.

i want to reappear because i know i can do much better.

please guide

regards:
willdoitanyhow
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
plz tell me, for round 2 by what time can i appy in time i need a urgent answer this question.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have an option of doing an International MBA from either European School of Business,Reutlingen,Germany or Nyenrode Business Universetit,Netherlands.Which would you suggest considering future Job prospects and Country growth?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT SCORE: 660 (Q50, V30, IR: 8)
Citizen: Indian
Class X: 89%(CBSE Board)
Class XI : 85% (CBSE Board)

Under Graduate:
• Bachelor of Engineering (B.E), Mechanical Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, GPA: 7.39/10
Work Experience:
• Working at Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (A Fortune 500 Company) as Assistant Manager, Marketing for Lubricants.
• Profile: Marketing Lubricants to Bazaar (through Distributors) and Direct industrial customers (B2B).
• A total of 4 Years work Experience as of Sep’14.
• Consistently achieved monthly targeted sales and increased sales revenues by 15% year on year with an estimated Turnover of 55 crores / anum ;
• Was instrumental in striking a deal for trials with a customer using Wartsilla Engines which finally lead to receiving an OE approval for supply of MAK lubricants to all Wartsilla Engines all over India. The only PSU to have got the approval.
• Was selected to present the Best Marketing Initiative at an all India meet of BPCL
• Represented BPCL at AIMA (State Level)
• Was selected for a paid internship program from TATA steel in the year 2009.
Extra Curricular:
Sports:
• Was the Basket Ball University Captain which represented at East Zone Inter University ( Universities from 7 States participated in the Event) and Runner Up at the event “Spardha’10” held at IT BHU
• Gold medalist in Javelin at university for three consecutive years
• Represented my School in sports level athletics in 4*100 meter relay and Basketball
Leadership:
• Was the School pupil leader in the year 2006
NCC:
• Was the NCC commander at University in the year 2008
• Awarded “Sahara Scholarship” in the field of NCC in the year 2002
ART:
• Conferred with the title of “Kalai Ilamani” by Tamil Nadu Government for the contribution to the field of art.
Event Organizing:
Have conducted several corporate level events handling a team and anchored several cultural and official events
Future Plan:
• Trustee at a trust founded by me in the year 2014. Future plans to motivate potential candidates towards innovative initiatives and promote implementation of innovative models.
Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest B-schools. Looking forward to the top 30 B- Schools (FT Rankings).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hello mbaMissionBrianE,

Could you please evaluate my profile? Thanks!

profile-evaluation-187381.html#p1432610
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi my name is vedatrayee, fom Mumbai, India and I have completed my graduation(B.Des (4 yrs degree)) from National Institute of Fashion Technology, India in Jewellery Designing. I have almost 3 years work of experience.I'm yet to give my GMAT exams. I plan to pursue MBA full time in retail /retail goods or luxury goods? Is that a good field given my background and which universities provide best courses in this field.?
require assistance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Would really appreciate your thoughts on my odds at Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, MIT, Haas, Ross, and UT Austin McCombs.

- EDIT: left my job in Oct 2015 - I was told by someone else that in such a situation, it's not worth applying to any schools with a <15% admittance rate - would you agree?

- TBD GMAT (taking it in 2 weeks) - assuming I will get > 700
- 3.79 GPA from H/Y/P, double major in Economics and Political Science

- Worked for 6 years in Big 4 (PwC/Deloitte) strategy consulting group, focused mainly on healthcare innovation; 2 of those years were spent in a selective (10% admittance) internal digital health incubator as a product manager for health and wellness solutions
- Promoted to Senior Associate (entry level MBA position, frankly not uncommon at my firm)

Extracurriculars:
- Co-founded and chaired committee to train employees in developing habits that maximize productivity, well-being, and help them work in alignment with their values
- Selected for 2 years in a row to mentor junior consultants
- Outside my firm, lead / facilitate NYC chapter of national organization that brings in experts on behavior change to help people develop sustained habits

Goal: work in a product or strategy role at an innovative organization aimed at making people healthier or happier (health tech company or innovative healthcare provider system). (I'm also very interested in cleantech and sustainability, but have comparatively less experience in that, so won't be part of my story)

- 29-year-old Indian-American male

Thanks very much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Team,

GMAT of 720 and a 100 in TOEFL.
X / XII / Grad
91/ 93 / 65

2012-15 - I've close to 3.5 years of IT exp. Oracle Apps SCM Functional Consultant.
2011-12 - An entrepreneurial stint(a small BPO) before I started working.
2007-11 - BTech Graduation in ECE (JNTU-Hyderabad)

Do I stand a chance of getting a scholarship?
I'm scared to invest 50 Lacks for an MBA, for I've learnt Indians may find it difficult to find jobs owing to Visa Problems (since no STEM for MBA Degree). How true is this?
I'm fairly decent in Academics, I've scored 95-97 percentiles many a times in CAT/XAT exams. If we're in the top 30% of the class and socialize well, can we be sure of getting a job?
I'm sorry this looks stingy but this is important, for earning bucks is one of the primary reason I'm choosing a foreign MBA. I don't mind choosing a college of lower ranking as long as getting a job post MBA is not a problem.

Thanks,
Praveen
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everybody!

I do really need a feedback on my profile. I want to go for mba and want to understand what level of b-school I can count on.
Im 27 and holding a Russian passport, have 4,5 years of working experience, but1,5 years I had been working before graduating from uni despite working full-time.
Got my bachelor degree in management from economic faculty of Lomonosov Moscow State University and MSc in Energy,Trade and Finance from Cass Business School London both with merit.

All of my jobs were linked to Oil and Gas, firstly I worked 1,5 years for Gazprom subsidiary in Moscow where I was in Commercial and Project Management Departments and later after my masters I moved to oil trading where I worked as Analyst in Moscow rep office for Swiss based commodity trader for 1,5 years and afterwards went to Dubai to small bunker trading house with only 4 people in the office for also 1,5 years. I stuck in the position of Financial Supervisor and want to do MBA for career progression.

my goal is to switch to finance/consulting, would be ideal to get to the mentioned fields but still be linked to Oil&Gas or commodities (like trade finance or Oil&Gas consulting) or to go to one of the Oil&Gas Majors.

I haven't taken GMAT yet but hope to get 670-710 range, that means that I am planning take test until getting the mentioned score.

Looking mostly for European school, LBS MBA is a first choice but also considering for LBS MIF as an alternative because it seems reasonable for me to get derivatives and risk management specialization to pursue my goal (and it is one year program being an advantage from my point of view). But still have doubts may be to go for one-year MBA rather than MIF (like Oxbridge or HEC Paris).

Another consideration is about whether it is worth it to go back studying again as it is not very common to have MBA in commodities sector and just to keep on working.

I would really appreciate your feedback/comments/suggestions

Many thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
---------------

Originally posted by NYCBS19 on 23 Jul 2016, 17:25.
Last edited by NYCBS19 on 19 Dec 2016, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderator:
1452 posts