Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Just received the following email from Wharton regarding the Group Interview. The following is an excerpt:

FORMAT

Your discussion will have a prompt and a purpose and you will work towards a tangible outcome with your group. The team-based discussion is additive and does not replace the opportunity for an individual exchange. There will be time allotted for a short one-on-one conversation regarding your candidacy with a member of the Admissions staff or Admission Fellow during the interview. This will also provide an opportunity to ask any questions that you may have.

Below are examples of the type of prompts that may be used during a session (Please note that we will provide you further information on the prompt for your team based discussion after you are invited to interview and sign up): What one talent or strength should a leader rely on most in daily life?
If you could teach one thing about innovation to a group of new employees, what would it be?

GENERAL TIPS
Come prepared to share your individual thoughts.
You should plan to spend no more that one hour in preparation.
Do not expect the interviewer to give you feedback - literally or figuratively. Be careful to avoid any interpretation of verbal or non-verbal communication, as both may mislead you.
Interviews are not a popularity contest. The interviewer is there to assess your fit for the Wharton MBA program.
The key is to relax, be genuine, and enjoy the opportunity for us to get to know you and you to get to know each other!

**Note: this email was not an invite to interview, just a what to expect should you be invited.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Pashya wrote:
I feel like this slightly throws me out of my comfort zone. I mean, I was mentally prepared for one-on-one interviews with my colleges. Now we're going to be scrapping for footage time in a room full of ultra smart people. I think its going to be interesting but excruciatingly nerve wracking.

Alright, this is loser talk. You my friend are a member of GMATClub. You scored highly on your GMAT. You are applying yousrelf to one of the top busines schools in the world. From this I can tell you are a bright driven individual. If you are getting an interview at Wharton, you will be one of those ultra smart people in that room. You are clearly on par with the best of the best. If you cant muster up the self confidence and courage to get in there and make a few points during the discussion, then you don't deserve Wharton. Its not about scrapping for time, I am very reserved in these situations, but I will go in with a game plan. I know I wont dominate the conversation, but I will try to get a few key points in and build off others in the room.

Come on, we got this.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
theK wrote:
sid05 wrote:
This is what was listed:

The off-campus interviews will be held in Dubai, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.

Thanks, sid05. That corresponds to what Adam Markus has on his blog:
https://adam-markus.blogspot.com.au/2012 ... n-mba.html

For the international applicants that have been invited to an interview, can anybody share with me the dates for the sessions in Singapore? Much appreciated.

Invites won't go out until Oct 23 to Nov 9. Hang tight until then.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

I wonder if you can really call the Group Interview an 'innovation'. Business schools in India have done it for decades, and they stopped doing it probably because they realised that it was not the best way to evaluate candidates. Most such "Group Interviews" will end up being chaotic, with each participant trying to beat the other on verbal real-estate. Wharton is trying to do something different, but I really wonder if they did the 'Research' (as they mention in their essay question) before deciding to deploy an evaluation tool that has all been abandoned by universities that used it in the past.

I am afraid you have confused innovation with invention. Wharton has innovated. They will use an existing technique which was not in use at Wharton all along and adopt it for their own good. A clear differentiator from rest of the top tier schools.

Anyways I think Group discussion will not be the main metric this year as it is the first year of use.The weightage of the GD should be similar to that given to candidate's IR score. Wharton will evaluate the GD this year and then consider to use it more regularly depending on the outcome.

The Innovation group will probably end up looking at the data and proposing whether the GD styled interview works. Another point here is that the Wharton GD differs significantly from those in IIMs. This I gathered from the examples provided for the candidate's preparation. From the examples, its clear that Wharton's topics are general affairs rather than current affairs, which gets tested in IIMs.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
madammepsychosis wrote:
Aeneid wrote:

Haha I imagined some really bad replies to that essay as well. Actually, I am not writing the "what would you do with 3 free hours" essay, but my answer to the "pick a Wharton club/co-curricular" question has a very personal tone and highlights one of my passions, so it kind of serves the same purpose.

My #2 essay was about going home, playing some video games until like 8 oclock, making dinner and watching some tv (If I was going to be real with them).. I decided to go with Essays #1 and #3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
One more day before invites go out...

Anyone know how invites go out tomorrow? Do they just send out a mass group of interview invites to numerous people at the same time tomorrow and then trickle the remaining invites out through November 9th? Do they send out any direct rejections tomorrow?

Thanks.

I think they're doing it Ed McMahon style. Someone will show up at your front door with a HUGE envelope containing an invitation. I just hope they don't go overboard with TV cameras and balloons.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
If you're feeling anxious, feel free to join and chat throughout the decision process!

https://gmatclub.com/chat/

Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
qtrip wrote:
TR12281 wrote:
pascalchristian wrote:
Guys, anyone having trouble scheduling the location for the interview? I got an invite per the applyyourself status but I there is nothing on the link they sent me.

I noticed the exact same problem. There's nothing on the link yet.

Same problem here.

They are working now guys! Just scheduled an interview in Singapore :D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
str1der wrote:
However, the 'waiting until the last minute' part won't apply if you are to be interviewed off campus, in a location that the adcom is visiting. Depending on interview dates in hub cities, you can get an idea of by when (max 1 week before the interview date) you should hear from Wharton

Am I missing something here?
Where can you see the available dates for interviews, even before you get invited?

Assuming I'll get it, my TBD should be in London.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Not available publicly. Posted by someone who was invited to interview.

CITY DATE
Mumbai, India November 6 - 8, 2012
New Delhi, India November 9, 2012
Mexico City, Mexico November 12 - 13, 2012
Sao Paulo, Brazil November 15 - 16, 2012
Shanghai, China November 12 - 15, 2012
Seoul, South Korea November 9, 2012
Singapore November 14 -16, 2012
Tokyo, Japan November 12, 2012
London, United Kingdom November 12 -15, 2012
Dubai, United Arab Emirates November 19 - 20, 2012
San Francisco, California November 12 -16, 2012
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
str1der wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Bschoolapps2012 and others,

Don't give up:-) I'm also waiting anxiously for an invitation and as mentioned here before, even by the Adcom - they keep sending it to the very last moment.

I don't think you can guess anything regarding your status based on other applicants from your city/country/sector/profession, or other parameters such as GMAT score.

We just have to sit and wait and keep it happy for those who did get invited :-)

Good luck to us all!

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Couldn't agree more, although I too waver between pessimism and optimism. However, the 'waiting until the last minute' part won't apply if you are to be interviewed off campus, in a location that the adcom is visiting. Depending on interview dates in hub cities, you can get an idea of by when (max 1 week before the interview date) you should hear from Wharton

Thanks, everyone! Str1der - does Tuck conduct interviews in Mumbai? I was under the impression that all interviews were on-campus.

Tuck schedules its information sessions around November, specifically so that they can meet EA Candidates shortlisted for interviews. If you look at last year's thread, they did a session in Mumbai and Hyderabad and held interviews in both cities for EA candidates.

This year it seems they have moved to the cities that actually yield maximum app volume (Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore). Last year, interview invites for different cities went a week before the event date, so for Delhi for example, invites should come on Nov 2-3 as the reception is on the 9th. For the other rounds they do Skype.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
rash wrote:
I would take it as ding as i don't think that they will expect us to appear for interview on 6-8 without even inviting us by 1 and i don't believe that they would expect us to fly outside the country.
The worst thing that they do not give any feedback so that you can improve next time.It's so unfair that you don't even get to know the reason for your rejection.

Don't jump into conclusions too fast.
We all don't have a clue on the evaluation process, the invitations and all the rest. It might be that they will open up more dates on relevant cities for you, or maybe they will call you on the last second to interview. Don't waste your time and energy on making hypotheses - it will only make you feel worse.

Sit and wait, check your inbox three times a day, read a good book or continue writing that other application for another school you want.
By Nov. 9th we will all have answers, and we'' be able to go on with our lives, for better or worse :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V46
Send PM
Kudos
madknife wrote:
MrAlpaca wrote:
Why? It probably takes 45 minutes to have two people read an application and make a decision. I'm holding out until 3pm PST Friday before I allow my sails to droop.

partially because all rejections recommended by the committee will have to be vetted by Ankur prior to being final... so rejections won't come until the last day. However, unless she is in the mood to go against the recommendation of the committee, there will be more rejections than invitations going out on the last day. Not that I am encouraging anyone to do this (because it's pointless), but I agree that if you don't get something by Thursday, you can pretty much count yourself out, and think about whether you should focus on other schools/applications.

I agree that there will be more rejections than invitations on Friday because there are simply more people that are going to be rejected anyway. I think we should all just relax. I am checking the website every 10 minutes as well.... So don't think I'm not panicking. I'm just not going to allow myself to spiral down the rabbit hole quite yet.

Lets cross our collective fingers and toes, wear lucky underwear, put socks on in that special way and do a lucky dance because at the end of the day, it may not help (or maybe it will...) with the final decision, but it will keep you sane for the next few days.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Yeah, its far from impossible to still get accepted. I don't buy the fact that Ankur is going to spend the next 3 days rejecting the 1,000 or so applicants who dont make it. She just doesnt have the time, its impossible. The fact is some of us are already dinged and just dont know it. They officially ding everyone at the same time and send out the last invites at the same time (probably around 4pm last day such as last yr).. If Ankur does have the last say, she has been deciding the fates of people since back in October.

Some are already dinged. But hopefully its none of us. At the same time, I bet there are people who got invitations on the first read still left dangling out there, and they just havent been invited yet due to logistics, timing, proximity to the school. Maybe they go by major, or undergrad school, or industry, or geography, or by letter of your middle name, or last name, or first name, or left handedness, or if you wear contacts or not. No one knows the system, lets just let it play out.

I feel you guys on freaking out and checking the inbox. In a few months it will all be over. A lucky portion of us will have impressed one admissions committee. Best of luck to all!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
huntzman wrote:
Just at the exact moment that I forgot all about it, I received an invite!

Yay huntzman!! Very happy to see you got the invite. Good luck with your interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V46
Send PM
Kudos
Looks like we will be waiting another day (at least). 48 more hours of torture... To all of those who haven't heard anything- lets stay positive together. It's the only way we will make it to Friday without getting brain aneurysms.

An interview email late Friday afternoon will make these last weeks seem like nothing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.15
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
str1der wrote:
What's everyone's post ding plan? Mine is to get drunk tonight at my boss's house at the party she is throwing, but not drunk enough to blame her and say you submitted a **** recommendation for me :)

Next week is ironically the festival of lights in india - Diwali. I will have to pretend I am happy about how the year is going. ****!

I will go Party tonight :-) and drink Wodka till I pass by LOL :-))), the hell what happens :-0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
i am already drunk teehee.. so in case of either a ding or a interview call i am just gonna drink a lil more :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  81   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts