GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 08 Apr 2020, 11:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Wharton Application Question - Awards

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Wharton Application Question - Awards  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 12:37
Hello all,

In filling out the Wharton MBA application, it appears they ask for awards in a 2000 character box in the Personal Information section (with the description: List the most significant college, university, community and professional awards, honors or scholarships you have received.), but also include 1000 character awards boxes under each degree in the Academic Background section (no description).

Does anybody have any insight regarding overlap or differences between the two sets of answers? Has anybody attended any sort of event or chat, or asked this question of a member of the admissions committee?
Intern
Intern
Re: Wharton Application Question - Awards  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 12:49
I don't think it would hurt to list your academic awards and honors in both places, unless you have too many and need to allocate some to each section.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2015, 13:03
It looks like the same question was asked last year, no definitive response but the Personal information section does open up opportunity for you to include other awards. I don't think there's any harm in repeating academic ones, but if those are already in your academic section and your resume, might be good to use this space for other recognitions.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/wharton-two-awards-sections-please-help-185754.html?fl=similar
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 07:44
I would suggest being as specific as possible in the specific areas outlined, and if there is overlap in the general area then be a bit more high level. The specific areas should allow you to be more descriptive and discuss impact an role in greater detail as well. So do what makes the most sense particularly if you are someone with a lot of awards/accomplishments

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Stacy Blackman Consulting Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 12:33
It's definitely a little confusing. So I've always had my clients repeat the academic awards again (so they show in two places on the app, per your question). Have had many accepted with grants, so clearly that approach worked just fine!

Best of luck!
I've been an admissions consultant with Stacy Blackman Consulting since 2008. I went to Harvard Business School for my MBA and Michigan Ross for my BBA. I have helped clients gain acceptance into all of the top programs and am a big believer in letting your voice and your personality shine through in your application materials. Best of luck!

Interested in a free 30-minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Erika Olson | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 17:37
Bumping this thread. What if you don't have "awards" to speak of professionally. Can early promotions, company leadership opportunities (e.g., head of recruiting), board nominations, advisory positions etc. count?

Wharton doesn't give room for any descriptions of the activities so is it okay to elaborate on activity positions you hold in this box?
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 08:45
So in my opinion they put awards and recognitions... So for example an early promotion is definitely a recognition. I'd say any sort of leadership position is a type of recognition for sure. Not many places of work have formal awards to dish out! For example, I decided to put down that I was invited to be an interviewer for new hires, as a result of my demonstration of xyz. That is a type of recognition.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wharton Application Question - Awards   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2016, 08:45

Wharton Application Question - Awards

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: xprometheusx