Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [3]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Send PM
Re: Wharton Healthcare Management Program [#permalink]
Kudos
Yeah, you gotta google "wharton hcm;" googling "wharton health care management" etc. won't bring up the right link.

https://hc.wharton.upenn.edu/programs_mba_students.htm

Click on the little HCMG Resume Book logo on the right of the page to download the pdf.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
MBAbot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Haha this was clearly my doing. Oops.

Isa, if you happen to be still around, it looks like you ended up choosing Kellogg. Care to comment on their HEMA program?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
farful wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
farful wrote:

Haha this was clearly my doing. Oops.
Isa, if you happen to be still around, it looks like you ended up choosing Kellogg. Care to comment on their HEMA program?

Hmm I dont think he is. But, nice find anyhow :)

Although my opinion would not be as insightful as someone who is in Kellogg, I'd say HEMA is pretty good. I did some research for my applications (talked to faculty, students etc.) and I think, Kellogg's HEMA is right up there in the top-5 healthcare programs - academically, plenty of options and pretty good recruitment opportunities as well.

Would you care to comment on what the top-5 healthcare programs are? Thanks!

That's a tough one. Also, it really depends on what your background is and what you want to do. A list of best schools for healthcare entrepreneurship would look different, for going into PE/VC industry would be different and so forth.

In particular, Wharton, Duke, Haas, Kellogg, HBS and Stanford all have great healthcare concentrations, dual degree or certificate programs. MIT Sloan has launched a healthcare certificate program this year as well. Tuck had its first two graduates this year from their dual degree program. Yale has an executive program in healthcare. Among the lower ranked schools, I would look at UNC and the likes.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thank you very much Terry!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Bookmarks
I had a phone interview with June and I second Terry that she's really nice. It was indeed more a conversation rather than an interview, and she was really eager to give me as much info about the HCM as she was able to.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Helg or Terry,

Do you know if the Wharton HCM program is binding? ie. if you get admitted to HCM, are you allowed to change your mind once you get to Wharton and decide that you don't want to do it anymore? Is this frowned upon?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
 Q47  V44
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Helg or Terry,

Do you know if the Wharton HCM program is binding? ie. if you get admitted to HCM, are you allowed to change your mind once you get to Wharton and decide that you don't want to do it anymore? Is this frowned upon?

Terp06, I really do not know. I suggest you ask this on Wharton's s2s forum, there will be someone to answer your question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
Sorry didn´t get to this until now, I'm on the road.

I don't believe the HCM program is a contractually binding sort of thing... that said, though, I haven't heard of anyone dropping out of the program. Once you're in, it's a pretty sweet deal. June knows almost everybody associated with healthcare-associated IB, PE, and MC in addition to the expected roles in pharma/biotech, medical devices, and hospital administration. So you're in no way expected to go into hospital administration or something along those lines... you can stlill do whatever you want, you just have the prestige of Wharton HCM added to your resume.

The negative of the program is that you do have an extra class (the general HCM seminar) throughout the first year. And first year at Wharton isn't exactly a walk in the park :)

As helg said, though, you might want to ask on s2s to get a clearer picture.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I'm really interested in the HCM program at wharton as well but am wondering:
WHen you apply to HCM, do they consider you first for the major or for the school? As in, will they ever say "you're in at Wharton but not in at HCM"?

I know that at some schools, they consider your application first for the overall MBA program, then for the major or sub-program within the MBA progra; just interested in whether HCM at Wharton is similar in that regard....

thanks,
ac.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Did any normal people from GmatClub got admitted in Wharton HCM?

I just saw 2008 class profiles...Its unbelievable. Most of them had undergrad or MS from Harvard , MIT, Kellong.....after looking at these profiles, i am not sure normal people can even try their luck..
All my work experience is in Pharama/Healthcare companies in IT deparment. I am very much interested in Health Care Entrepreneurship/MC. But not sure, given my IT Engg background whether i will stand a chance among these types of oustanding profiles.
Current Student
Send PM
SV6 wrote:
Did any normal people from GmatClub got admitted in Wharton HCM?

I just saw 2008 class profiles...Its unbelievable. Most of them had undergrad or MS from Harvard , MIT, Kellong.....after looking at these profiles, i am not sure normal people can even try their luck..
All my work experience is in Pharama/Healthcare companies in IT deparment. I am very much interested in Health Care Entrepreneurship/MC. But not sure, given my IT Engg background whether i will stand a chance among these types of oustanding profiles.

Hi SV6-

Some of the posts I've written above may help answer the questions you raised in the Wharton 2008 thread.

With respect to your question here... I'm not quite sure what you mean by normal. Yes, there are a bunch of folks in the program with stellar resumes. But it's Wharton, so I don't think that the "quality" of resumes in the HCM program differs substantially from the general student population. Further, not everyone in the program went to an Ivy or similar school. I met students from a variety of undergrads at the admit weekend. Most importantly, I think everyone had done pretty impressive things in the workplace, typically in the health care realm.

I can't give you a definitive yes-no answer regarding your chances, but I don't see why your background would hinder you in any way. As long as you're able to effectively answer why you want to go through the HCM program and tie that into your goals, you'll at least have a shot.
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
I'm really interested in the HCM program at wharton as well but am wondering:
WHen you apply to HCM, do they consider you first for the major or for the school? As in, will they ever say "you're in at Wharton but not in at HCM"?

I know that at some schools, they consider your application first for the overall MBA program, then for the major or sub-program within the MBA progra; just interested in whether HCM at Wharton is similar in that regard....

thanks,
ac.

Wharton has on occasion accepted HCM applicants into the general, non-HCM program. I don't know how often that happens, but I got the sense it was a pretty infrequent occurrence.

Take the following with a big grain of salt, it's the best I can remember: when you apply to HCM your application is simultaneously reviewed by HCM and two "general" Adcom members. The review by the general adcom members determines whether you get an interview. When you interview, you have the usual Adcom interview as well as an interview with HCM. Both interviews are used to determine acceptance, though I think HCM has a pretty prominent say,
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I concur, the profiles for people in Wharton HCM and HBS' Healthcare Club are really out of control. Almost everyone in Wharton HCM or HBS' Healthcare club seems to come from 2 backgrounds: a) they already have one of the desired post-MBA jobs for someone looking at healthcare (big pharma strategy, MBB HC consulting, HC banking, etc.) or b) They're an MD or PharmD. I really didn't spot anyone from any sort of lay man's track like Healthcare IT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thansk terry.."NORMAL" i meant people not with a good grad/undergrad from ivy's and no work experience in a big /renowned companies. Overall no stellar resume as you mentioned.

That said, i am planning to visit Wharton sometime in end of July. Is it a good time to visit the school if i want to attend the class as well as meet adcom? Is it possible to get some time from you. I am really interested in the program and no matter what might be the final outcome i am planning to apply.

Now...getting back to your thread in Wharton 2008..64 pages...so much to read :roll:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SV6 wrote:
Thansk terry.."NORMAL" i meant people not with a good grad/undergrad from ivy's and no work experience in a big /renowned companies. Overall no stellar resume as you mentioned.

That said, i am planning to visit Wharton sometime in end of July. Is it a good time to visit the school if i want to attend the class as well as meet adcom? Is it possible to get some time from you. I am really interested in the program and no matter what might be the final outcome i am planning to apply.

Now...getting back to your thread in Wharton 2008..64 pages...so much to read :roll:

Terry is going to be at Stanford - not Wharton. Personally, I don't plan to apply to Wharton because I don't see a whole lot of opportunities that Wharton can provide me that Chicago or Columbia (2 schools that I am already applying to) would not. They both have pretty much the same companies recruiting, with the exception that Wharton has a few more PE/VC firms conducting on-campus interviews. However, if you're good enough for PE/VC out of Wharton, you're definitely good enough for PE/VC out of Chicago or Columbia too. If you don't have a blue chip healthcare resume and you're not a MD, DDS, PharmD, etc. then I wouldn't bother applying to Wharton HCM and I would just apply to the normal Wharton program (provided you have 80/80 percentiles on the quant/verbal GMAT).
Current Student
Send PM
Quote:
Wharton has on occasion accepted HCM applicants into the general, non-HCM program. I don't know how often that happens, but I got the sense it was a pretty infrequent occurrence.

Take the following with a big grain of salt, it's the best I can remember: when you apply to HCM your application is simultaneously reviewed by HCM and two "general" Adcom members. The review by the general adcom members determines whether you get an interview. When you interview, you have the usual Adcom interview as well as an interview with HCM. Both interviews are used to determine acceptance, though I think HCM has a pretty prominent say,

thanks terry, for your insight. I'll do a bit more digging and see what I can find but I got the sense (from reading the website) that when you apply to HCM you're pretty much applying to a subprogram within Wharton and so that can either increase your chances of acceptance or dramatically decrease your chances based on your profile/previous work experience. I'm going to see if I can't find some numbers on how many applicants there were to the HCM program, how many accepted, etc. I'm also going to see if I can find some more pages on the HCM program - it seems that they have pages devoted to their curriculum, to the different concentration combinations you can pursue but few student profiles. The healthcare club has a few profiles of the students on the board but that's about it...there's got to be more somewhere that I'm overlooking :)

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
I concur, the profiles for people in Wharton HCM and HBS' Healthcare Club are really out of control. Almost everyone in Wharton HCM or HBS' Healthcare club seems to come from 2 backgrounds: a) they already have one of the desired post-MBA jobs for someone looking at healthcare (big pharma strategy, MBB HC consulting, HC banking, etc.) or b) They're an MD or PharmD. I really didn't spot anyone from any sort of lay man's track like Healthcare IT.

I am wondering though if the profiles they posted on the HCM/Healthcare Club websites are the "more stellar" ones of the pack....can you tell I'm really hoping that's the case? :wink:

With regards to Healthcare IT, I did see one person who'd worked at a large EMR firm on the board of the Tuck (I think, could be wrong - will check my notes) Healthcare club so there's some hope. That being said, no idea what the guy's role was within the firm - implementation/strategy/etc.

Terp06 - are you considering healthcare concentrations at any of your schools?
cheers,
ac.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2